ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 18th October 2020, 03:45 PM   #161
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Stacyhs and Skeptic Ginger - can you please take your endless spat to pm or something? Many thanks.
I skip past a lot of posts that don't interest me. Just sayin. We were working to clarify an issue.
Old 18th October 2020, 04:37 PM   #162
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post

Where does he find these people?
He doesn’t; they find him.

Also there is critical mass effect. Once one gets enough government crazy people with social media accounts, other crazy people are attracted.
Old 18th October 2020, 04:45 PM   #163
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Why would I not know that?
Why would I think you didn't know that? Because if you had, you simply would have said, "Yes, I know that," and saved us all this back and forth. Instead, you became defensive and seemed irritated that I was questioning if the FBI was investigating and not merely stating a fact of policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
They don't even say there is an investigation. FBI policy is to neither confirm nor deny that there is an investigation.
And yet it's being reported that the FBI has the laptop and is not investigating Biden, they are investigating Russian meddling in the election.

I'll have to look around for the source of the information.

Quote:
You'll find that it's not the FBI itself confirming they have anything. It's the guy from the MAC shop, the NY Post, various news media, etc.
That's not what I read. I'll have to go find it.
That's not what you read? Meaning that the FBI had confirmed they had the computers and were investigating them?
So you posted your article.

Quote:
If you read the article, it says the FBI is 'reportedly' investigating. The FBI itself does not say it is.
Well obviously it is 'reportedly'. That is standard news lingo. These are reputable news agencies citing sources that should have access to the information and should be reliable.
So even when you presented your article that only said the FBI was "reportedly" investigating the computer, you doubled down and never said, "I know the FBI policy is not to deny or confirm an investigation." Not once. So, yeah, that is why I think you didn't know.

So let's just drop this now, OK? I think what I think and you think what you think and, apparently, never the twain shall meet. I respect a lot of your opinions on ISF, but we simply do not agree on this one particular incident and I think we've beaten this poor horse to death already.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 04:50 PM   #164
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He's off again

"Do you ever stop w/ these forest fires? Can you ever stop? They gotta manage the forest. You know, they talk, it's all sorts of reasons. They gotta manage the forest. Manage it. It's called forest management...now they have a new thing, they're running out of water"- Trump on California

"You know what they do? Millions of gallons of hour come down from the north. Pour down, pour down. They have so much water. But they route it into the Pacific Ocean, b/c they have a smelt, right? Is it a smelt? How's that for a memory, right? ... it's a little tiny fish"

"I don't know why we wouldn't win California. We're playing it a little bit."
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 04:51 PM   #165
Elagabalus
Philosopher

...So let's just drop this now, OK? I think what I think and you think what you think and, apparently, never the twain shall meet. I respect a lot of your opinions on ISF, but we simply do not agree on this one particular incident and I think we've beaten this poor horse to death already.
Oh, no!!! You can't quit now!! Are you going to let her talk to YOU like that!?!! Get in there, I'll hold your coat!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 04:54 PM   #166
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Huge "lock him up!" chants directed at Biden. Deplorable.

"The Bidens make crooked Hillary Clinton look like an absolute amateur, and she's pretty bad. And I do want to hear from law enforcement -- why aren't they looking at emails? why aren't they looking at Omar? But the biggest of them all is Joe."
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 04:55 PM   #167
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Back to showers and toilets.

"I won't talk about the fact that people have to flush their toilet 15 times. I will not talk about it. I'll only talk about showers and, okay, there are three things. I won't talk about it. This way they can't report it."

"I had 12 doctors around the bed, and every one was grabbing a different part of my body."

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 18th October 2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 18th October 2020, 04:55 PM   #168
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Oh, no!!! You can't quit now!! Are you going to let her talk to YOU like that!?!! Get in there, I'll hold your coat!!
Play me some Eye of the Tiger and hand me a beer! Oh, wait...Last Tango in Halifax is on. Gotta go.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 05:32 PM   #169
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump claims that his crowds are "the biggest in the history of politics"

"I like Hispanics. I like Hispanics. I like Hispanics Americans"
"Hispanic Americans are great business people. I've known that for a long time. Sometimes they say they are too good. They are tough sometimes."
Old 18th October 2020, 05:32 PM   #170
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Big show tonight on @FoxNews!
@MarkLevinShow will be exposing Joe Biden’s Corruption at 8:00pmE — and of course, don’t miss @NextRevFNC with @SteveHiltonx at 9:00pmE!
Whatever will he tweet when it does no such thing.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 05:34 PM   #171
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

"Hispanic Americans are great business people. I've known that for a long time. Sometimes they say they are too good. They are tough sometimes."
Isn't the classic definition of madness trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 05:34 PM   #172
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"The Christmas season will be canceled" -- Trump says Biden will cancel Christmas, completely bizarre

"If somebody is making $10 million for blocking, or $25 million for throwing, and they say what a horrible country we're living, we can't do that" -- Trump is back to attacking uppity NFL players for not respecting the flag and the anthem
Old 18th October 2020, 05:35 PM   #173
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"The one I really want to do is Portland. That's gonna be so easy, we'd love to go in and do something big in Chicago" - Trump says he wants to send federal troops into various cities.

Again he commends US Marshals for killing a murder suspect/antifa sympathizer
Old 18th October 2020, 05:44 PM   #174
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

"The Christmas season will be canceled" -- Trump says Biden will cancel Christmas, completely bizarre.
That's been a Fox News thing for like 15 years now!
Old 18th October 2020, 05:45 PM   #175
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

The whole Trump crew is nuts.

"Donald Trump's reelection campaign accused Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer of "encouraging assassination attempts" targeting the president on Sunday afternoon, amid escalating conflict between the two political leaders."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 05:48 PM   #176
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He sounds like he's reading from a child's book.

I like Hispanics. I like Hispanics. I like Hispanics Americans
Hispanic Americans are great business people. I've known that for a long time. Sometimes they say they are too good. They are tough sometimes.
Old 18th October 2020, 05:59 PM   #177
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

He sounds like he's reading from a child's book.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ce1fae319d.jpg
I like Hispanics. I like Hispanics. I like Hispanics Americans
Hispanic Americans are great business people. I've known that for a long time. Sometimes they say they are too good. They are tough sometimes.
Oh, he's improved his reading ability? That's a step up for him.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:00 PM   #178
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Kayleigh McEnany tweeted
@kayleighmcenany
UNBELIEVABLE!!

Thousands upon thousands lined for miles along our motorcade route in CALIFORNIA to cheer on President @realDonaldTrump!!!!!
Old 18th October 2020, 06:01 PM   #179
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Kayleigh McEnany tweeted
@kayleighmcenany
UNBELIEVABLE!!

Thousands upon thousands lined for miles along our motorcade route in CALIFORNIA to cheer on President @realDonaldTrump!!!!!
Those were voting lines, stupid. Oh, and you're still going to lose CA by the thousands and thousands.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:16 PM   #180
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Old 18th October 2020, 06:20 PM   #181
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Those were voting lines, stupid. Oh, and you're still going to lose CA by the thousands and thousands.
No worries, the new SCROTUS will throw out the results for the whole state.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:23 PM   #182
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I could take Skeptic Ginger with one hand tied behind my back!

And a pit bull.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:25 PM   #183
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why would I think you didn't know that? Because if you had, you simply would have said, "Yes, I know that," and saved us all this back and forth. Instead, you became defensive and seemed irritated that I was questioning if the FBI was investigating and not merely stating a fact of policy.....
That's two things in one sentence you misinterpreted.

I didn't say, "yes I know that", because I thought you were saying, "no one was reporting it, it was only speculation." You know, because I thought you were: "questioning if the FBI was investigating and not merely stating a fact of policy....."

You can fault whomever you want for the crossed wires. I'm good.

As to the second thing, I wasn't defensive or irritated then at all. As for now, nope not either. Was I irritated you insinuated I didn't know one of the most basic tenets of FBI policy? Yeah, a bit. But I'm over it.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:28 PM   #184
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I could take Skeptic Ginger with one hand tied behind my back!

And a pit bull.
You probably could. I am just a shell of my past physical self, ravaged by an auto-immune disease.

In ninth grade I won the last and only physical fight with a girl I was ever in.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:30 PM   #185
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's two things in one sentence you misinterpreted.

I didn't say, "yes I know that", because I thought you were saying, "no one was reporting it, it was only speculation." You know, because I thought you were: "questioning if the FBI was investigating and not merely stating a fact of policy....."

You can fault whomever you want for the crossed wires. I'm good.

As to the second thing, I wasn't defensive or irritated then at all. As for now, nope not either. Was I irritated you insinuated I didn't know one of the most basic tenets of FBI policy? Yeah, a bit. But I'm over it.
Okay....let's let this go. The horse died.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:31 PM   #186
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Isn't the classic definition of madness trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result?
That's what I thought when he said this:
Quote:
"I won't talk about the fact that people have to flush their toilet 15 times. I will not talk about it.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:34 PM   #187
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Old 18th October 2020, 06:36 PM   #188
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Kayleigh McEnany tweeted
@kayleighmcenany
UNBELIEVABLE!!

Wait a sec...

What's Donny Two-Weeks (that's all he has left) doing in California if they all hate him? Come to teach people how to rake the forest floors or something?
Old 18th October 2020, 06:38 PM   #189
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No worries, the new SCROTUS will throw out the results for the whole state.
Do you deliberately adopt the most pessimistic outlook possible to cushion the blow when the nightmare scenario arrives? Because I can relate. As soon as I heard Trump trashing Mexico and Mexicans during his announcement speech I suspected he had a chance. But I wasn't sure. Tom Tancredo got nowhere with that in 2008, and the nominee ended up being McCain. I thought maybe the vitriol had been diluted over time, but it was only sleeping. I also underestimated the impact of so-called "reality" TV.

Now I find, in spite of myself, wondering if I should mail in my ballot! No, I will probably drive a few miles to drop it off in a definite, 100 percent official ballot box. But I look at what I've done to myself cognitively, and it's formidable. Believing the Trump campaign is not only evil but brilliantly evil seriously makes me wonder if talking myself out of hope is such a smart strategy.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 06:46 PM   #190
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post

Now I find, in spite of myself, wondering if I should mail in my ballot! No, I will probably drive a few miles to drop it off in a definite, 100 percent official ballot box. But I look at what I've done to myself cognitively, and it's formidable. Believing the Trump campaign is not only evil but brilliantly evil seriously makes me wonder if talking myself out of hope is such a smart strategy.
I know what you mean. I live in OR where I've voted by mail for 30 years. Yet I found myself wondering if I should drive over to a ballot box instead of putting our ballots in the mail box. Trump gets into your head. He's just plain evil. I fought it and put them in the mail box. I wasn't going to let the SOB win.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 18th October 2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:48 PM   #191
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I've used the ballot drop boxes for years here in WA. Probably because they have one at the library where I go all the time any way.

This is the first year, however, I plan to see if my vote was counted.
Old 18th October 2020, 06:55 PM   #192
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I put my ballot in the regular mailbox. The tracking site says it has been received and registered.

I'm convinced that many (but maybe not a significant amount) of the mail-in ballots will have to be discarded as ineligible. From working computer support for 30 years I know how easy it is for people not to follow directions and there were several steps to take.

Last edited by alfaniner; 18th October 2020 at 06:57 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 07:01 PM   #193
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I put my ballot in the regular mailbox. The tracking site says it has been received and registered.

I'm convinced that many (but maybe not a significant amount) of the mail-in ballots will have to be discarded as ineligible. From working computer support for 30 years I know how easy it is for people not to follow directions and there were several steps to take.
I know it varies by state, but in OR, it's simple: put it in the envelope, sign it, and put it in the mail box. How hard is that?
Old 18th October 2020, 07:23 PM   #194
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I know it varies by state, but in OR, it's simple: put it in the envelope, sign it, and put it in the mail box. How hard is that?

Oregon's been voting by mail for a long time. For a lot of people -- both voters and officials -- it's a new world.
Quote:
After a Pennsylvania court said ballots returned without secrecy envelopes would be rejected in November, election officials and Democrats are raising the alarm that “naked ballots” could inadvertently disenfranchise thousands in a pivotal battleground.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/202...oting-n1241017

Quote:
This year alone, over half a million mail-in primary ballots have been disqualified for late arrival or other errors, according to a recent NPR analysis.
https://www.businessinsider.com/mist...ot-2020-9?op=1
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 07:43 PM   #195
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I can't remember if I posted it here but here goes:

1. It says you need a witness signature on one of the envelopes, but that is negated on a separate piece of paper. Some people won't realize that they don't need a Witness signature, and will discard it because they'd think they need to get one and can't.
2. You fill out the ballot. Which you put inside an envelope. Which you put inside another envelope. Which you put inside yet another envelope. I expect that there will be a lot of people who don't follow the directions and mess it up somehow. Hopefully not enough to make a major difference. The first envelope is the ballot privacy one. The second one is the identification one which has your info and requires your signature. The third one is the USPS one with the preprinted mailing address.
3. You have to sign one of the inside envelopes, a step I expect will get missed, thus invalidating that ballot. Fortunately there is a ballot tracking app that will note if your ballot was received and accepted.
I personally like having this mail-in option so I don't have to stand in line or get exposed (however briefly) to dozens of other people. I do admit to some concern that ballots will be messed with somewhere along the way. But as I said, it's now been received and registered so it's all done.

But what if I change my mind???

(Actually, there's a process for that, too. But that ain't happenin'!)
Old 18th October 2020, 08:42 PM   #196
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Good lord. Why do they have to make so many steps? Fill out the damn ballot. Put it in the envelope. Sign the damn thing. Mail it. I think they deliberately make it more difficult than it needs to be.
Old 18th October 2020, 09:09 PM   #197
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Am I the only one planning to just go in person to vote?
Old 18th October 2020, 09:11 PM   #198
StillSleepy
Muse

I'll probably wind up having to vote in person if my voter registration confirmation doesn't arrive soon.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 09:47 PM   #199
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Wait a sec...

What's Donny Two-Weeks (that's all he has left) doing in California if they all hate him? Come to teach people how to rake the forest floors or something?
He's going to rake the forest floors.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 10:05 PM   #200
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Good lord. Why do they have to make so many steps? Fill out the damn ballot. Put it in the envelope. Sign the damn thing. Mail it. I think they deliberately make it more difficult than it needs to be.
I don't know -- but now maybe you can understand my impression that a lot of people will **** it up and have their votes discarded.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics