ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:12 AM   #41
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Snowden's book is a pretty compelling explanation of his actions and the thought processes behind them.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...snowden-review
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/13/b...sultPosition=3
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:01 PM   #42
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Snowden is Jabba-ing, basically going "Unless everyone already agrees I've won before we even start, I won't start because it's not fair."

There's whistleblowing protection laws which are a very, very good thing and this "I identify as a whistleblower therefore you can't even look at what I'm doing" mentality that Snowden seems to have.
"I identify as a whistleblower therefore you have to take into account my reasons for breaking the law when you decide whether I broke the law."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:01 PM   #43
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah Snowden much more strikes me as someone who's drank the "Amerika is da great Satan" Koolaid since he's idea of who to run to when America is mean to him is Russia.
ZThis is very much my view as well - as well as most people involved in similar hijinks, such as Julian Assange and Glenn Greenwald (although he's more of a "destroy the democratic party and everything will be great after that" fool).

The major exception in this is actually Chelsea Manning - although I think it's fairly clear that she was prone to manipulation and not particularly mentally well (due to depression and the like, not due to being trans), that led her to being manipulated by a crapfactory like Wikileaks. And for reference, this makes her extended solitary confinement even worse.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:04 PM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Incidentally, this is where I think it makes sense for a reporter to have anonymous sources.

"There's something wrong going on here and the legal channels for whistleblowing have been compromised. Obviously I can't leak the info to you directly, and you can't name me as a source, but I can give you enough hints anonymously that you can uncover the truth and report it legally."

The reporter goes to his editor, they do what they can to verify the anonymous source is on the up-and-up. Then they take a close look at where the source is pointing, do some investigative journalism, talk to their other sources, and work on breaking the story.

Now, if the source were to decide that none of this is working, and they're just gonna illegally publish the material themselves... Well, do the crime, do the time.

Last edited by theprestige; 3rd November 2020 at 04:06 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:14 PM   #45
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
"Necessity" is a legitimate defense to a criminal charge. So is acting in the public interest. Other countries allow a defendant to claim them.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...y-defense.html
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/whist...-hum_b_6903544
I would accept a necessity defense in very narrow circumstances. Not in whistleblowing cases.
Old 22nd November 2020, 11:00 AM   #46
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
ZThis is very much my view as well - as well as most people involved in similar hijinks, such as Julian Assange and Glenn Greenwald (although he's more of a "destroy the democratic party and everything will be great after that" fool).

The major exception in this is actually Chelsea Manning - although I think it's fairly clear that she was prone to manipulation and not particularly mentally well (due to depression and the like, not due to being trans), that led her to being manipulated by a crapfactory like Wikileaks. And for reference, this makes her extended solitary confinement even worse.
Couldn't agree more.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2020, 07:44 PM   #47
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe it'd be a kindness to offer him a stiff prison sentence in the US. But perhaps being a useful idiot in Vladimir Putin's Russia is still preferable to being a convicted criminal in a US federal prison.
Ex-KGB Major: The Russians Tricked Snowden Into Going To Moscow
Quote:
Ex-KGB Major Boris Karpichko told Nigel Nelson of The Mirror that spies from Russia’s SVR intelligence service, posing as *diplomats in Hong Kong, convinced Snowden to fly to Moscow last June.

“It was a trick and he fell for it,” Karpichko, who reached the rank of Major as a member of the KGB’s prestigious Second Directorate while specializing in counter-intelligence, told Nelson. “Now the Russians are extracting all the intelligence he possesses.”

Karpichko said that the Kremlin leaked Snowden’s planned flight to Moscow to provoke the U.S. into revoking Snowden’s passport, which Washington did on June 22. Assange also advised Snowden that “he would be physically safest in Russia.”

Former KGB General Olig Kalugin recently told VentureBeat that “the Russians are very pleased with the gifts Edward Snowden has given them. He’s busy doing something. He is not just idling his way through life.”
Useful idiot indeed.
Old 22nd November 2020, 07:53 PM   #48
Venom
Illuminator

Boris Karpichkov LOL.

The man has made some questionable at best claims from Putin bombing Flight 9268 to Gareth Williams being a victim of the Russian special services.

I mean this would be the least outrageous of his claims, but he's a favorite of the British tabloids.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:29 AM   #49
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Was Karpichkov one of the agents involved in the ruse? Or is he just guessing at what happened?

Either way, I doubt anyone in Snowden's position would have been fooled by an offer from "Russian diplomats" to seek refuge in Russia.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics