IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , presidential candidates

Old 3rd November 2020, 02:36 AM   #41
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I will be very disappointed in Biden if he makes a victory speech and inauguration speech that both lack the phrase "You're fired".
You know, I had not thought this far ahead but there will be no 'traditional' inauguration if Biden wins it. Trump- and most other high level politicians- wont need to come out in front of a crowd in the cold weather of Washington DC 's January. It will probably be mainly virtual.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:40 AM   #42
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
You know, I had not thought this far ahead but there will be no 'traditional' inauguration if Biden wins it. Trump- and most other high level politicians- wont need to come out in front of a crowd in the cold weather of Washington DC 's January. It will probably be mainly virtual.
And then Trump will brag for years about how his inauguration crowd size was way bigger than Biden's!
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:37 AM   #43
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
And then Trump will brag for years about how his inauguration crowd size was way bigger than Biden's!

Years? It would be the rest of his life (which may be the same thing, but that's beside the point).
I read an alternate history short story in which Trump became obsessed with baseball after catching a historic World Series home run ball as a child. He eventually became owner of the team, built Trump Field for them, etc. Decades later, he still bragged about his amazing catch, better than any of the adults in the stands.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:33 AM   #44
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I will be very disappointed in Biden if he makes a victory speech and inauguration speech that both lack the phrase "You're fired".
That would be funny.

I suspect he'll resist the temptation and act more 'Presidential'. But I could be wrong.

Not to worry.

Whether he does or not there'll still be plenty of other people who will do it for him anyway.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:34 AM   #45
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Oh joy, another guy that slept in math class and thinks 30% fall and then 30% rise leads to exactly same number...
It's not even a 30% growth, it a 6.77% growth annualised to 30%.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:23 AM   #46
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Would Biden disavow the recent beheadings in France??
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You mean like this?
Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
oops
Oops indeed.

But the problem isn't that you aren't flogging it hard enough, the problem is you picked the wrong horse.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:55 AM   #47
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
No you are wrong, the math is correct 2020 666 = 3.0330303303033030330

It is "30330" to infinity after the first "3.0330" not just 3."033" repeating.
No, that's wrong. Those single 3's shouldn't be singles. It's

All double 3's after the first one, no single 3's.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:57 AM   #48
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You're so full of ****. But you're right on the math.
No, he isn't even right on the math.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:31 AM   #49
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Interesting. Windows says 3.033033033033...

Eta: so does my android calculator.
Interesting, Does your Windows/Android calculator say 3.033033033033... with the dots?

My Mac OS X calculator (in scientific mode) it is 3.03303303303303

My iPhone (vertical/basic)it is 3.03303303

My iPhone (horizontal/scientific) it is 3.033033033033033

Why did I just check this? I'm not sure ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:42 AM   #50
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Interesting, Does your Windows/Android calculator say 3.033033033033... with the dots?

My Mac OS X calculator (in scientific mode) it is 3.03303303303303

My iPhone (vertical/basic)it is 3.03303303

My iPhone (horizontal/scientific) it is 3.033033033033033

Why did I just check this? I'm not sure ...
I threw the dots in because I got tired of typing by that point. I guess using a calculator is just another thing ChrisBFRPKY got wrong.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:49 AM   #51
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

The legendary "Killary is done" thread with its "running gag" of morons chiming in to say "Is she done yet" - until she finally was done and these clowns buried themselves in some holes for a while - had entered part four of the thread just before the election. Sleepy Joe's thread, whose premise is affirmative, made it to just part three before we find out how much enthusiasm there really is.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:50 AM   #52
xjx388
Philosopher

The repeating pattern is 303303. No matter how you slice it, numerologically it's a tenuous connection at best. Cherry picking, like all numerology.

Strangely, no one has really looked at the Trump connections to 666 I linked to earlier, which are much more blatant as these things go. I mean, Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump (through Kushner's company) own a building at 666 5th Ave! Trump's grandmother who helped found the Trump Organization died on 6/6/66. That's 666 twice! Isn't that the exact same day when Damien from The Omen II retcon was born??? Her middle maiden name was Christ, fer Christ's sake! Chosen by God? Nay, chosen by the Devil!

ETA: Correction made in the interest of accuracy in reporting nonsense.

Last edited by xjx388; 3rd November 2020 at 10:55 AM.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:52 AM   #53
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Strangely, no one has really looked at the Trump connections to 666 I linked to earlier, which are much more blatant as these things go. I mean, Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump (through Kushner's company) own a building at 666 5th Ave! Trump's grandmother who helped found the Trump Organization died on 6/6/66. That's 666 twice! Isn't that the exact same day when Damien from The Omen II retcon was born??? Her middle name was Christ, fer Christ's sake! Chosen by God? Nay, chosen by the Devil!

The part you don't understand is we want the Satanists to vote for Biden!
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:53 AM   #54
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
The legendary "Killary is done" thread with its "running gag" of morons chiming in to say "Is she done yet" - until she finally was done and these clowns buried themselves in some holes for a while - had entered part four of the thread just before the election. Sleepy Joe's thread, whose premise is affirmative, made it to just part three before we find out how much enthusiasm there really is.
Trump is done.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:54 AM   #55
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The part you don't understand is we want the Satanists to vote for Biden!
Aw crap . . . didn't think of that.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:11 AM   #56
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
The repeating pattern is 303303.
Or just 303

Quote:
No matter how you slice it, numerologically it's a tenuous connection at best. Cherry picking, like all numerology.
If you do numerology, it should at least be exact. If you get to round off, then things can get even sillier. For example, pi is approximately 3, so Biden's 30330 combines pi and zero do indicate no pie for you.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:25 AM   #57
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Or just 303
Sure, but that's not as fun; can't do much with 303. Although, I do notice that 303+666=969, which is my birth month and year . . . OMG, I'm the Antichrist along with everyone else born September 1969! This is the year we rise, my fellow Hell-Lords!

Quote:
If you do numerology, it should at least be exact. If you get to round off, then things can get even sillier. For example, pi is approximately 3, so Biden's 30330 combines pi and zero do indicate no pie for you.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:29 AM   #58
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Is "numerology done poorly" going to be the topic that finally has Ziggurat taking on Trump supporters? Magic 8 Ball says "Maybe".

What a strange year we are enjoying.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:30 AM   #59
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Every so often I think, "oh good, more rational debate from a conservative point of view". And then it turns into "time well spent" and numerology with text message addresses, and I end up thinking, "with friends like these..."
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:37 AM   #60
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
I was kind of hoping that Biden would use something like that in his campaign. Something along the lines of, "Donald Trump's handling of the pandemic has assured one thing that will make him very happy. My inauguration crowd will certainly be smaller than his!"

I thought it would be a great way to tie all together his incompetence, petty narcissism, and strong tendency to ignore reality in one nice little ball, while taking a jab at his ego.

Alas, I'm not the candidate's speechwriter.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:42 AM   #61
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Alas, I'm not the candidate's speechwriter.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Venom; 3rd November 2020 at 11:43 AM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:57 PM   #62
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Every so often I think, "oh good, more rational debate from a conservative point of view". And then it turns into "time well spent" and numerology with text message addresses, and I end up thinking, "with friends like these..."
To be fair, if we have any sense of pride at all, we all end up thinking "with friends like these..." at some point.

Old 3rd November 2020, 09:13 PM   #63
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

"ELECTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(Not that he won't still win, but there's no excuse for it to be this close. You were warned and you not only insisted on counter-reality but even attacked the people who were warning you.)

Last edited by Delvo; 3rd November 2020 at 09:14 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:24 PM   #64
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Sanders is more electable only in delusional minds of Bernie Bros.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:19 PM   #65
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Trump is done.

Very funny.
Old 4th November 2020, 01:03 AM   #66
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Very funny.
he is no matter what, because he is under State investigation, he is going broke and he will have a hard time finding lenders to re-finance.

If he thinks the first term was hard, a second term will be a nightmare.
Old 4th November 2020, 05:45 AM   #67
Delvo

...according to those whose idea of how to predict electability has been wrong every single time. I prefer listening to the model that's been right every single time.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 05:47 AM   #68
wareyin
Philosopher

...according to those whose idea of how to predict electability has been wrong every single time. I prefer listening to the model that's been right every single time.
One of the big reasons Biden lost Florida was that Trump was able to paint him as a socialist. Are you claiming Sanders would have done better?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 05:49 AM   #69
Distracted1
Philosopher

"ELECTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

(Not that he won't still win, but there's no excuse for it to be this close. You were warned and you not only insisted on counter-reality but even attacked the people who were warning you.)
Yes, it's almost like some portion of the national conscience experienced some fundamental upheavals since Biden was the shoe-in.

I can't think of anything that changed this summer- can you?
Old 4th November 2020, 06:18 AM   #70
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Yes, it's almost like some portion of the national conscience experienced some fundamental upheavals since Biden was the shoe-in.

I can't think of anything that changed this summer- can you?
Are you suggesting that Trump's disastrous handling of Covid and the resulting economic slump is making it more difficult for Biden to win?
Old 4th November 2020, 06:35 AM   #71
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Are you suggesting that Trump's disastrous handling of Covid and the resulting economic slump is making it more difficult for Biden to win?
Continue to fail to understand that others have legitimate concerns that do not necessarily align with our own prejudices, and continue to lose (or just narrowly win) elections.
Old 4th November 2020, 06:46 AM   #72
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

"ELECTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It seems a Democrat will always have an uphll battle against a side that an win with unpopular opinions and receive fewer votes.

He is nore popular, has more popular views, and most people support him. I'm not sure what you are looking for.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 01:45 PM   #73
Garrison
Philosopher

It is a bizarre notion that accusations of being a socialist would have been less effective against Sanders. And of course there is the assumption that Biden is actually doing badly in the face of this 'post-fact' era where the US President can lie twice per sentence and no one bats an eyelid.
Old 4th November 2020, 01:46 PM   #74
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If nothing else I hope we win so we don't have to watch the Trumpers and Bernie bros decide who's more insufferable at playing "I told ya so."
Old 4th November 2020, 05:44 PM   #75
Delvo

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
It is a bizarre notion that accusations of being a socialist would have been less effective against Sanders.
There are more specific responses that could be given to that point, but I don't feel like indulging your attempt at distraction right now, because the bottom line is that you're trying to theorize & excuse your way out of the facts. It doesn't matter how much explainery you can come up with for how & why grass must be purple; it simply isn't. It's not our position that keeps coming out wrong every single time and thus is in need of these kinds of excuses & justifications & explanations for its perfect track record of failure; it's yours. The side that gets things right can just point to its track record... at least until the "grass-is-purple" crowd at least gets as far as admitting that it's green, even if they're still dumbfounded at the mystery how/why it is.

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And of course there is the assumption that Biden is actually doing badly
Against a mentally deficient baboon who keeps essentially trying to give it all away to you, anything but a landslide victory is failure, especially if the whole reason you wound up in that race in the first place was because you were supposed to be Captain Electable.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If nothing else I hope we win so we don't have to watch the Trumpers and Bernie bros decide who's more insufferable at playing "I told ya so."
Well, we did, whether Captain Electable manages to just barely scrape out a pitiful excuse for a "win" or not. The kind of people who brought this debacle on us in the first place has spent years destroying the party and thus the country by preaching the same mindless myth on & on & on no matter how many times it's proven false, so I don't have any pity right now for any of them who feel like whining about how much it hurts their feelings to have their perpetual, destructive, and completely obvious wrongness pointed out to them.

You can cling to what you know doesn't work, or you can go with what works.

Last edited by Delvo; 4th November 2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 4th November 2020, 05:46 PM   #76
dirtywick
Master Poster

Rather be captain electable than captain unelectable
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 07:19 PM   #77
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

There are more specific responses that could be given to that point, but I don't feel like indulging your attempt at distraction right now, because the bottom line is that you're trying to theorize & excuse your way out of the facts. (...)
That's most vague attempt at handwaving away electability problems with your favourite candidate. Of course you don't feel like giving anything, because you have nothing of substance.

"Socialist" (does not matter if true or not, definition also does not matter) is dirty word in USA. If it is wielded against Biden with some success at all (however ridiculous is accusing Biden of being socialist), it would spell absolute doom for Sanders. Period.

Anything else is just delusional wishful thinking.
Old 4th November 2020, 08:29 PM   #78
Delvo

...according to those whose idea of Democrat electability has been proven wrong at election time over & over again.

Your claims on this subject will be worth further consideration as soon you come up with some that aren't constrained within a concept that always gets everything wrong.
Old 4th November 2020, 09:00 PM   #79
dirtywick
Master Poster

Yeah maybe. Certainly possible to do worse than getting the most votes in the history of the country.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2020, 11:09 PM   #80
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Bernie lost the primary twice. How does that make him the most electable?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics