ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 9th November 2020, 01:32 PM   #121
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

It seems odd to me that Biden got fewer votes than Obama or Hillary in every state other than Michigan, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:35 PM   #122
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
It seems odd to me that Biden got fewer votes than Obama or Hillary in every state other than Michigan, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.

That does seem odd. Why were so many votes in Michigan, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin cast for people who weren't even running? This should be investigated.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:37 PM   #123
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

It seems odd to me that giraffes have purple tongues.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:38 PM   #124
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
We know Biden cheated. We just need to figure out how.
The fun thing about this sort of investigation is that it makes just as much sense for the other side until actual evidence is found. It's Schrödinger's evidence. Until you find it, you won't know whether it was Trump or Biden who cheated.
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:38 PM   #125
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

I'd be curious to hear thoughts on this thread:

Twitter link

Quote:
What we are seeing in the data is astronomically out of whack with 2016.

In 2016 there was a circa 150k difference in top ticket only voting between Trump and Clinton.

This year shows a circa 500k difference.

It’s just not credible.
Quote:
Look at Virginia. There were 107,000 ballots with a vote for president and not for the congressional race in VA district 1 alone.

There were only 14,000 like this in 2016.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:40 PM   #126
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter link

https://i.imgur.com/Ad3Mf4I.png
Is there any comparison (by proportion) to other years besides 2016?

I'm also curious how it correlates with higher turnout.

Last edited by gnome; 9th November 2020 at 01:41 PM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:40 PM   #127
dmaker
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I don't see the function of government is to carry out my preferences.
This sums up Trump supporters perfectly, in my opinion. They elected Trump to act out their grievances.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:41 PM   #128
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
From what I've seen, it seems the Trump team is making broad claims in public but their lawsuits are much more focused and not likely to succeed. Looks to me like a show to rile up the base and start getting them to protest and demand a new election or something.

I heard Huckabee on the radio this morning saying something about how there were so many tickets that voted Republican -except for Trump. He was incredulous that those were valid votes. Shouldn't that tell you something, Mike, that so many otherwise Republican supporters refused to vote for Trump?
Think that is reality, Trump is throwing a tantrum and to try and calm him down they are saying “we are suing”, whilst of course they can’t sue based on the grievance Trump has, which is “I wanna WIN!!!!!” They have to come up with something they can at least put down on paper.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:41 PM   #129
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I picked a state in the middle of the map, Missouri.

2020 - 1.24 Million votes for Biden (41.3%)
2016 - 1.07 Million votes for Clinton (37.9%)

ETA: I'm confident that that trend would continue in darned near every state of the union. That's why I picked one without even looking. I knew what I would find.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:41 PM   #130
Paul2
Philosopher

Massachusettes had more votes for Biden in 2020 than Hillary in 2016. 2,236,646 to 1,995,196.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:42 PM   #131
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

You mean, where likely most of their campaign efforts were concentrated?

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:42 PM   #132
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

If someone says "I used to be in the mafia and I had knowledge of mafia hits that were undertaken. This guy who just washed up on the shore has all the telltale signs of a mafia hit, and he was exactly the type of guy they would put a hit out on. He had such and such information and was threatening to expose it..."

It doesn't make sense to say "oh well then why don't you go to the cops and prove it?"

He isn't saying he knows it for a fact, he's saying that as someone who is familiar with the methods of operation, what he's seeing fits the pattern perfectly.
Do you feel you make sense, in the actual context?

Hans
Old 9th November 2020, 01:43 PM   #133
Myriad

Twitter link

"People care about the Presidency more than they care about acknowledging the candidacy of the local Secretary of the Water Commission who's running unopposed. Film at eleven."

Last edited by Myriad; 9th November 2020 at 01:44 PM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:45 PM   #134
Paul2
Philosopher

Twitter link

You might want to critically examine this claim, rather than just accepting it, kinda like Meadmaker and I did with your post about more votes for Hillary and Obama than Biden by state. It took me about 3 minutes to find a defeater for that claim, MeadM found another one. How many more do we need before that claim goes away?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:45 PM   #135
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
You mean, where likely most of their campaign efforts were concentrated?
Don't fall for the trick of getting into an explanation of why, before finding out whether the assertion is true.

The assertion is false. Biden got more votes than Clinton almost everywhere, and even a higher percentage than Clinton.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:48 PM   #136
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Don't fall for the trick of getting into an explanation of why, before finding out whether the assertion is true.

The assertion is false. Biden got more votes than Clinton almost everywhere, and even a higher percentage than Clinton.
Thanks! That's a nice trick indeed.

Old 9th November 2020, 01:49 PM   #137
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Twitter link

“Only a gullible moron accepts at face-value random things they find on Twitter” pretty much sums up my thoughts.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:50 PM   #138
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Twitter link

It's a phenomenon that has been studied for decades in the US. Google
"voter roll-off".
From a paper written in 2002:
Quote:
Voter roll-off has been the subject of a variety of studies over the years. Researchers have found several possible explanations for why voters do not complete their ballot.
We posit that increasing roll-off as a result of increasing turnout is a result of less informed or less interested voters going to the polls to vote in the “big” races while leaving the lower-level races blank.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...IAt0aC3w30ZiHw

Last edited by Firestone; 9th November 2020 at 01:56 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:50 PM   #139
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Twitter link

1) You post enough things that are wrong that I'm not sure to even trust the data. Beef up your source by posting something to a non-twitter link, and I'll take a look.

2) It's counter-evidence for fraud. A fraudster is highly likely to be partisan, and vote in down-ballot races as well.

3) A lot of people who are not interested in politics in general had very strong feelings for or against Trump, so a lot of those first time voters might only cast a vote for President.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:51 PM   #140
xjx388
Philosopher

Twitter link

This was an election that, for so many people, was more about getting Trump out than anything else. People are allowed to vote only for President if they want to. Absent actual evidence of fraud, there's nothing there.

---
That's the thing. Don't throw numbers around with a phrase like, "statistical analysis," it's absolutely meaningless. You can tell any story you like with a few numbers and "statistical analysis." Allegations of fraud need actual evidence of fraud, full stop.

The Benford's Law stuff is a perfect example of a valid statistical method being used inappropriately to fit an agenda.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:51 PM   #141
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove breach of rule 11. Please do not attempt to moderate threads. If you see what you perceive to be breaches, report them.

Last edited by Agatha; 10th November 2020 at 08:04 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:52 PM   #142
Myriad

Twitter link

Kassam follows up with:

Quote:
TRUMP TOP TICKET ONLY:

Pennsylvania - Negative (-57,795)
Georgia - Negative (-28,955)
Arizona - 20,683
Michigan 31,538
Wisconsin Negative (50,254)

Negative values probably means there was crossover and they prob voted for Trump and a Democrat lower.

No, negative values for "People who voted ONLY for Biden/Trump and didn't vote further down the ticket" means your "continued statistical analysis" makes no sense.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:54 PM   #143
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
You might want to critically examine this claim, rather than just accepting it, kinda like Meadmaker and I did with your post about more votes for Hillary and Obama than Biden by state. It took me about 3 minutes to find a defeater for that claim, MeadM found another one. How many more do we need before that claim goes away?
That is apparently quite common in presidential elections.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:54 PM   #144
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove moderated content
Okay.

There has been no meaningful evidence of any fraud/tampering (except from the Republicans) in the 2020 election and anyone who says differently is a either an intentional liar or being intentionally ignorant with an agenda.

Do you have any facts beyond that?

Last edited by Agatha; 10th November 2020 at 08:05 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 02:00 PM   #145
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I posted this in the other election thread...but it works here too.

It should be noticed by Trump and the GOP that the margins in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are greater for Biden now than they were for Trump in 2016.
Old 9th November 2020, 02:00 PM   #146
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Okay.

You misread my post. I have other things to deal with at the moment but got value out of this thread. Which is not too rare (otherwise I wouldn't be here), but also not very common because of a lot of noise. I just wanted to encourage people to stay on the very important issue we are dealing with here, and I am undecided about as most of the readers will be.
Old 9th November 2020, 02:02 PM   #147
Venom
Illuminator

I get the impression that most of the 'election skeptics' would not be going crazy had Trump not conditioned them to believe this for months in advance. He did it in 2016 too.

There are legitimate concerns in almost every election. It's a big process performed independently among the states and there are bound to be issues---why all this noise NOW?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 02:05 PM   #148
sackett
Philosopher

A country which only gives white men a say, will tend to be a much more pleasant, agreeable, and advantageous place to live FOR white men.

As a white man, I naturally prefer to live in a society that reflects my group's values and best interests and is set up to cater to us and keep us at the top.

It would be insanity to feel otherwise.
Something stincts in here.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 02:08 PM   #149
crescent
Illuminator

I opened FB and Quora, both are full of posts repeating ST's false stats. Easily, very easily and quickly debunked. Yet the true believers run with it faster than the reality based community can keep up. Its a never ending Gish Gallop.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 02:08 PM   #150
No Other
Muse

Apply Benford's Law to the vote total and activity by precincts. Since Benford's Law is empirical, it is recognized as valid for detecting fraud in accounting ledgers. Math doesn't care if you're Republican, Democrat or Independent...

At least this method does away with hyperbole.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 02:10 PM   #151
Cain
Straussian

Just to continue playing this game...

California has 600,000 more votes for Biden than Clinton, but in fairness, we haven't finished counting. Biden's so stupid for cheating in California. Hillary tried that four years ago and got caught.
Old 9th November 2020, 02:14 PM   #152
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
Apply Benford's Law to the vote total and activity by precincts. Since Benford's Law is empirical, it is recognized as valid for detecting fraud in accounting ledgers. Math doesn't care if you're Republican, Democrat or Independent...

At least this method does away with hyperbole.
I'm guessing you posted this without reading the contents of the thread.

No problem. We all do that, but I'd encourage you to go back and read the posts related to Benford's law (you can use the "thread tools" for searching to see most of them.)

Short summary: Due to the near uniform size of precincts, Benford's law would not be expected to apply to activity by precincts.
Old 9th November 2020, 02:20 PM   #153
Paul2
Philosopher

Just to continue playing this game...

California has 600,000 more votes for Biden than Clinton, but in fairness, we haven't finished counting. Biden's so stupid for cheating in California. Hillary tried that four years ago and got caught.
I'm trying to read things very carefully, but Ballotpedia shows for California

Hillary, 2016, 8,753,788
Biden, 2020, 8,180,018

Old 9th November 2020, 02:20 PM   #154
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Benford's Law is like Benford's Love, hard and fast.

*Resigned, annoyed Kip voice* "That's Brannigan's Law, sir."

Ah yes I see. Kip I have made it with a woman, inform the crew.
Old 9th November 2020, 02:25 PM   #155
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
No, negative values for "People who voted ONLY for Biden/Trump and didn't vote further down the ticket" means your "continued statistical analysis" makes no sense.

Elaborate. For me it sounds like the person who analysed that data found that a lot of BIDEN voters in Pennsylvania didn't vote for any local politicians (98,000-57,795). Is that what is meant, and backed by data? Or am I misreading something?
Old 9th November 2020, 02:29 PM   #156
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

I'm trying to read things very carefully, but Ballotpedia shows for California

Hillary, 2016, 8,753,788
Biden, 2020, 8,180,018
According to CNN, Biden currently has 9,325,844 votes in CA with approx 85% of the vote counted. So it will only go up. Ballot-o-pedia's count is when CA was at 77% counted.

Last edited by bonzombiekitty; 9th November 2020 at 02:31 PM.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 02:31 PM   #157
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
According to CNN, Biden currently has 9,325,844 votes in CA with approx 85% of the vote counted. So it will only go up.
Well, thank you Ballotpedia. It's a great site, but maybe not updated often enough.

Old 9th November 2020, 02:32 PM   #158
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I picked a state in the middle of the map, Missouri.

2020 - 1.24 Million votes for Biden (41.3%)
2016 - 1.07 Million votes for Clinton (37.9%)

ETA: I'm confident that that trend would continue in darned near every state of the union. That's why I picked one without even looking. I knew what I would find.

Arizona.
Obama in 2008 got 1,034,707
Obama in 2012 got 1,025,232
Hillary got 1,161,167
Biden currently has 1,644,260

Of course, Arizona had "them damn Injuns" coming out to vote in droves this year.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 02:36 PM   #159
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Just to continue playing this game..

Just to show how full of crap Tank's claims are.

Washington State,
2016. Hillary 1,742,718 54.3%
2020 Biden 2, 303,430 58.8%
Oregon
2016 Hillary 1,002,106 50.07%
2020 Biden. 1,318,475. 57.00 %
California
2016 Hillary 8,753,788. Percentage 61.73 %
2020 Biden. 9,304,895 * Percentage 64.60 %

*93 percent tallied

Last edited by acbytesla; 9th November 2020 at 02:39 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 02:37 PM   #160
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hey, guys arguing with a Neo Nazi is a exercise in futility....
My goal in starting this thread was not to convince Skeptic Tank. It would be kind of foolish to think that was possible, based on history.

However, these allegations are being tossed around by a lot of people, including, especially, POTUS. I thought that by having a thread where talk of this is concentrated, it would make the counterarguments easier to find. ST and others will serve up whatever's being tossed around the internet for us, so we don't have to go looking.

And if I, or anyone else, did convince Skeptic Tank? Well, that would be an awesome bonus, wouldn't it? I'm just not counting on it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics