ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: When will Trump concede or else become incapable of concession?
Before 11-Nov 1 1.72%
Before 30-Nov 2 3.45%
Before 31-Dec 4 6.90%
Before 20-Jan 8 13.79%
Before 2022. 2 3.45%
2023 0 0%
2024 0 0%
2025 or thereafter 41 70.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th November 2020, 10:11 AM   #41
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump is only President because he got sworn in.

Nothing in his election or his Administration or his words and actions suggests that he is anything like a President.
Old 10th November 2020, 11:42 AM   #42
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
You seem to not understand how OR works.
I was going to say precisely the same to you, oddly enough.

Here is the relevant wiki entry. Notice that if either p or q is true, the entire statement "p ∨ q" resolves to true as well. In this case, if Trump concedes the race or if he cannot possibly concede (e.g. irreversible coma) then the statement will resolve to true.
Old 10th November 2020, 01:15 PM   #43
Thor 2
Philosopher

Sam Harris wraps it up quite well when he lists Trumps attributes as being an ignoramus, consumed by greed, narcissism, malice, pettiness, and a bully.

The attributes he is lacking being: wisdom, curiosity, discipline, courage, and compassion. In the wake of the election it is starkly evident that another attribute is lacking ....... honour.
Old 10th November 2020, 01:38 PM   #44
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
But he will go on tour in 2024 for the Ivanka for President campaign. Then they will uncover all the fraud in 2020 as well as 2016. Because trump won fair and square in 2016, even the popular vote.
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
If Trump hasn't conceded by 2024, does that make him ineligible to seek another term because he was the real President all along?

Dave

I was wondering that myself. Let's say, just after the deadline for nominating Trump as the candidate in 2024, the Dems come out and admit the "fraud", with sufficient evidence to support their admission.

The 22nd amendment says "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice,"

Nothing there about actually being sworn in, or serving.

Of course, they could argue that the real election is the Electoral College vote, but it would certainly be hilarious watching them fall all over themselves arguing about this.
Old 10th November 2020, 03:16 PM   #45
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I think he will go to his grave declaring that he won and that the Presidency was stolen from him.
Yes. This is how Trump has lived his whole life. He loves being the guy who was wronged. Much like Hitler
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:40 PM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

he won'thave to if he seizes power in a coup d'etat.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:45 PM   #47
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
he won't have to if he seizes power in a coup d'etat.
That appears to be the plan.

https://twitter.com/nwadhams/status/1326226247555428357
Old 10th November 2020, 04:09 PM   #48
d4m10n
Philosopher

For those of you wondering why I phrased the OP question as a disjunctive, I've got a bet going by which I'm honor bound to remove this sign on the day when Trump concedes or else (necessary backup condition) he becomes incapable of doing so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 10th November 2020, 04:22 PM   #49
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I expect that Trump will leave the White House come 1200 noon on 20 JAN 2021.

However, I do not expect that Trump will ever concede the election.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 06:00 PM   #50
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
For those of you wondering why I phrased the OP question as a disjunctive, I've got a bet going by which I'm honor bound to remove this sign on the day when Trump concedes or else (necessary backup condition) he becomes incapable of doing so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Ah, that helps.

So is the bet: until he concedes or until a physical or mental illness (other than the Narcissitic Personality Disorder) prevents him from communicating?

I hate trying to split hairs, but I firmly believe his personality prevents him from even considering conceding. So when I read the original polll, I don’t know if should I put down now or put down never?
Old 10th November 2020, 06:20 PM   #51
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I was wondering that myself. Let's say, just after the deadline for nominating Trump as the candidate in 2024, the Dems come out and admit the "fraud", with sufficient evidence to support their admission.

The 22nd amendment says "No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice,"

Nothing there about actually being sworn in, or serving.

Of course, they could argue that the real election is the Electoral College vote, but it would certainly be hilarious watching them fall all over themselves arguing about this.

You underestimate the amount of crazy involved.
The GOP could say “what a coincidence, We cheated in 2016 and this 2024 election is his second.” Of course, if the goal is to guarantee that hilarity ensues, then put a camera on Trump when you tell him that the official GOP position is that Hillary won the 2016 election.
Old 10th November 2020, 07:07 PM   #52
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I hate trying to split hairs, but I firmly believe his personality prevents him from even considering conceding. So when I read the original polll, I don’t know if should I put down now or put down never?
This is the sort of hair-splitting which I personally encourage, if only because it helps us wrap our heads around the relationship between physical determinism and moral accountability.
Old 11th November 2020, 02:32 AM   #53
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
As I said upthread, I considered exactly that question and put down now.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 11:21 AM   #54
d4m10n
Philosopher

Concession watch:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...78710809661440

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...79630477922304
Old 19th November 2020, 06:33 AM   #55
d4m10n
Philosopher

Concession watch part deux:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...08856733184008

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics