ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Reply
Old 17th November 2020, 02:15 PM   #321
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Indeed. We should all just be thankful that it will be Biden who gets to replace the SCOTUS vacancy left behind when Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died*.


* Because we obviously must have a vacancy since Mitch McConnell said he would not consider a SCOTUS Justice nomination vote close to a presidential election.
I repeat, state and federal legislatures are not as intertwined as you seem to believe.

Federal legislators benefit directly from a GOP POTUS. State governments don't.
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 02:18 PM   #322
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
"Guys relax, it's just an *attempted* coup."

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/stat...105016832?s=20
1) Trump needs a lot more than Georgia.
2) Georgia's SoS outed this pressure publicly, calling Graham out for example. He also called out his party's Senate candidates for calling for his resignation.
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 02:19 PM   #323
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
And even if Mitch HAD somehow gone back on his word, he wouldn't have had the votes to confirm. Because senators like Lindsey Graham said explicitly:

So seriously, people who try to tell me not to worry because republican politicians promised they'd do the right thing can bite my ass.
Got a state Republican example that is equivalent?
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 02:20 PM   #324
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 49,843
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Who is laying what groundwork?
Trump, Giuliani and fox really.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 02:23 PM   #325
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Trump, Giuliani and fox [pundits] really.
ftfy, Fox News has abandoned Donny, and after all he did for them.


Does anyone think Bonespurs Trump and Landscaper Giuliani are actually competent enough to pull off a coup?
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 02:29 PM   #326
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Here's some actual evidence, not hypothetical:

CNN Reality Check: Trump's public schedules show little interest in work as he protests Biden's legitimate election
Quote:
But as he mounts a fierce battle to remain in office and refuses to concede the election he lost, Trump has shown little interest in the work of being President. Since he vowed to fight the election results in the wee hours after Election Day, Trump, who has spent four years producing television moments showcasing his office, has made few efforts to show the American people he is still governing. ...

He was at the club as major networks declared the race for his opponent.
Does that sound like someone scheming to pull off a coup?
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 03:10 PM   #327
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,067
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Got a state Republican example that is equivalent?
I'm not saying that I have absolute certainty that officials will go along with a Trump plan.

I'm saying that such a thing is not impossible simply because they said otherwise. I can't point to many examples of these very specific people's prior actions, partly because state level politicians more rarely rise to the national spotlight.

But I've seen enough of the party that approves of Trump 95% and made "Whatever Trump wants" the party platform for 2020, that I don't have confidence that politicians within that party will keep their word.

And after what we've seen for the past 12 years (at least) I don't think they've earned an assumption that they will keep their word.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 03:34 PM   #328
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 13,193
I'm not saying there's a teapot orbiting Mercury. I'm just saying that it's not impossible.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:13 PM   #329
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,151
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm not saying there's a teapot orbiting Mercury. I'm just saying that it's not impossible.
Sure, that's exactly the same thing.

__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:14 PM   #330
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 28,357
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
1) Trump needs a lot more than Georgia.
2) Georgia's SoS outed this pressure publicly, calling Graham out for example. He also called out his party's Senate candidates for calling for his resignation.
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
ftfy, Fox News has abandoned Donny, and after all he did for them.


Does anyone think Bonespurs Trump and Landscaper Giuliani are actually competent enough to pull off a coup?
So, the tweet is a pretty good summation of your attitude? That we should relax because it is merely an attempted coup and we can rest easy because those attempting it are totally incompetent?
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:17 PM   #331
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,151
Here's a couple of Michigan Republicans writing last Friday:

Somehow they are not reassured by politicians passing resolutions.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/other-voices/commentary-stop-investigation-and-finalize-michigans-vote-biden
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:22 PM   #332
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,151
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
So, the tweet is a pretty good summation of your attitude? That we should relax because it is merely an attempted coup and we can rest easy because those attempting it are totally incompetent?
Honestly, the incompetence of this particular crew of coup attempters* is the most reassuring thing about this absurd debacle that the country is finding itself in.

*Not plotters as I think this a 'seat of the pants' kind of thing (if there was any plotting, it was probably premised on a closer race where Pennsylvania and only Pennsylvania was in question)
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:25 PM   #333
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 28,357
Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Honestly, the incompetence of this particular crew of coup attempters* is the most reassuring thing about this absurd debacle that the country is finding itself in.

*Not plotters as I think this a 'seat of the pants' kind of thing (if there was any plotting, it was probably premised on a closer race where Pennsylvania and only Pennsylvania was in question)
Indeed. It seems that getting rid of Joffrey is (hopefully) not the problem, and perhaps the American political system is passing its stress test on him. But it doesn't bode well for when your Ramsay Bolton emerges.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:34 PM   #334
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 5,927
Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Here's a couple of Michigan Republicans writing last Friday...
Speaking of MI GOP and election shenanigans, this bodes ill:
https://twitter.com/nancykaffer/stat...36317137022976
__________________
"Well, a statement like that is all the better for proof, but go on, anyway." - Salvor Hardin

Last edited by d4m10n; 17th November 2020 at 04:37 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:46 PM   #335
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,067
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm not saying there's a teapot orbiting Mercury. I'm just saying that it's not impossible.
It's more like:

"The guy who mans the machine that can launch random things into orbit swears he would never launch a teapot, even though his boss is pressuring him to do so and people who work at the place that launches things into space have a general record of doing whatever their boss says and lying about it"
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:50 PM   #336
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 19,779
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Speaking of MI GOP and election shenanigans, this bodes ill:
https://twitter.com/nancykaffer/stat...36317137022976
So Michigan is not going to participate in the electoral process. Pretty proud of their state?

(the Democratic representative will not certify any results if Wayne County is not included, so no election results. Sorry people of Michigan, your vote doesn't matter)
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Chloe, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 04:59 PM   #337
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,151
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Indeed. It seems that getting rid of Joffrey is (hopefully) not the problem, and perhaps the American political system is passing its stress test on him. But it doesn't bode well for when your Ramsay Bolton emerges.
I wonder if Joffrey would not probably have been re-elected, with relative ease and thanks to the Electoral College, had he not killed ~100000 Americans?
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:04 PM   #338
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I'm not saying that I have absolute certainty that officials will go along with a Trump plan.

I'm saying that such a thing is not impossible simply because they said otherwise. I can't point to many examples of these very specific people's prior actions, partly because state level politicians more rarely rise to the national spotlight.

But I've seen enough of the party that approves of Trump 95% and made "Whatever Trump wants" the party platform for 2020, that I don't have confidence that politicians within that party will keep their word.

And after what we've seen for the past 12 years (at least) I don't think they've earned an assumption that they will keep their word.
It was claimed because the Republicans in the federal legislature were not good for their word that the state Republicans weren't.

So I asked for an equivalent example of state GOP legislators going back on a public statement that they made that they weren't going to overturn their state's voters.
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:06 PM   #339
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 13,193
Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Sure, that's exactly the same thing.

Actually... it pretty much was the same thing. It's speculation based on belief.

Pragmatically, it's not going to happen. The electors aren't going to be faithless and put Trump in office. The states aren't going to replace their electors with those that will be faithless and vote for Trump. The military isn't going to back a coup. At the very worst, come January, the secret service will escort a very grumpy Trump out of the white house.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 17th November 2020 at 05:07 PM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:06 PM   #340
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
So, the tweet is a pretty good summation of your attitude? That we should relax because it is merely an attempted coup and we can rest easy because those attempting it are totally incompetent?
Where's that straw man emoji when we need one?
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:17 PM   #341
Cavemonster
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 6,067
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Actually... it pretty much was the same thing. It's speculation based on belief.

Pragmatically, it's not going to happen. The electors aren't going to be faithless and put Trump in office. The states aren't going to replace their electors with those that will be faithless and vote for Trump. The military isn't going to back a coup. At the very worst, come January, the secret service will escort a very grumpy Trump out of the white house.
I hope that's the case.
A number of Republicans, including politicians and others in positions of power seem to be expressing confidence that Trump will continue to be President after Jan 20.
__________________
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:26 PM   #342
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Speaking of MI GOP and election shenanigans, this bodes ill:
https://twitter.com/nancykaffer/stat...36317137022976
Upon further investigation: All the tedious details for anyone interested.
Bottom line:
Quote:
The Associated Press and major news outlets have called the presidential election for Biden. Most have called Georgia for Biden, giving him a total of 306 electoral votes -- 36 more than needed to win the election. AP and Fox News have not called Georgia, giving Biden 290 electoral votes.

Michigan has 16 electoral votes, so even without that state, Biden is still above 270 according to the projections of all major news outlets.
IOW, without MI and GA, Biden still wins.

IMO if these idiots go against their electorate it won't work out well for them, especially given it's no more than an empty gesture.
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:29 PM   #343
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Actually... it pretty much was the same thing. It's speculation based on belief..
If that's what you believe, where does supporting evidence come into it?
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:29 PM   #344
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 28,357
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Where's that straw man emoji when we need one?
Is Trump *trying* to overturn a legitimate democratic election to install himself in power?

I’d like a yes/no on that one.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:31 PM   #345
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 13,193
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I hope that's the case.
A number of Republicans, including politicians and others in positions of power seem to be expressing confidence that Trump will continue to be President after Jan 20.
Do you expect otherwise? I expect they'll continue that show until the results are officially reported by the states and the legal challenges are finally shut down. Hell, I'm sure they'll take up the drum beat of it being a big con job after that, and proceed to tie up the courts with non-stop challenges, as well as unceasing investigations into Hunter Biden and Burisma for the next four years.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:34 PM   #346
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 13,193
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
If that's what you believe, where does supporting evidence come into it?
Supporting evidence that Cavemonster's post was essentially a Russel's Teapot claim? Or supporting evidence that Cavemonster's post was in essence speculation based on his/her belief?

I'm confused by your question. I think I missed a step somewhere.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:38 PM   #347
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Is Trump *trying* to overturn a legitimate democratic election to install himself in power?

I’d like a yes/no on that one.
Does "trying" include a feeble attempt?

So what Trump would like 4 more years. A coup requires more than just wanting and feeble effort.
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 05:40 PM   #348
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Supporting evidence that Cavemonster's post was essentially a Russel's Teapot claim? Or supporting evidence that Cavemonster's post was in essence speculation based on his/her belief?

I'm confused by your question. I think I missed a step somewhere.
Supporting evidence vs no evidence re your false equivalence.
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 06:00 PM   #349
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 28,357
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Does "trying" include a feeble attempt?

So what Trump would like 4 more years. A coup requires more than just wanting and feeble effort.
In other words, yes, he is only attempting.

Good, we are in agreement then.

In other words, “Relax, it is only an *attempted* coup” is exactly your position, and I was right.

Stop telling me then, that my accurate characterization of your position is a straw man.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 06:06 PM   #350
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 5,927
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Bottom line: IOW, without MI and GA, Biden still wins.
I don't think these clowns are going to actually flip Michigan, since their Secretary of State and Governor seem up to the task of keeping the election on track.

That said, the number of states where blocking just one county changes the overall result is surprisingly high.
__________________
"Well, a statement like that is all the better for proof, but go on, anyway." - Salvor Hardin

Last edited by d4m10n; 17th November 2020 at 06:54 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 09:29 PM   #351
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,151
From https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/1328877675751108615
Originally Posted by Jared Yates Sexton
The Trump Campaign is suing for Nevada to either name him the winner or just wipe the state’s results from the slate.

It may not work. It’s haphazard and sloppy. But make no mistake. They are attempting a literal coup.
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 09:44 PM   #352
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,151
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I repeat, state and federal legislatures are not as intertwined as you seem to believe.

Federal legislators benefit directly from a GOP POTUS. State governments don't.
If your point is that, unlike country level GOP, state level GOP must be reasonable, I would consider that an extraordinary claim. If this were so, we would not be having GOP endorsed QAnon candidates at the state level left and right.
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 09:45 PM   #353
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,151
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Speaking of MI GOP and election shenanigans, this bodes ill:
https://twitter.com/nancykaffer/stat...36317137022976
Haven't confirmed but I think they may have relented.
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 09:47 PM   #354
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 13,644
There is a tremendous disconnect between career Republicans and their base.
That is why they need outsiders to win their battles for them.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 10:18 PM   #355
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 7,980
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
There is a tremendous disconnect between career Republicans and their base.
That is why they need outsiders to win their battles for them.
No, they need plausible deniability. They have their careers to think of, you know!
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 10:44 PM   #356
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Port Townsend, Washington
Posts: 29,751
Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Haven't confirmed but I think they may have relented.
After having their racist tweets and Facebook posts revealed.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 11:16 PM   #357
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
If your point is that, unlike country level GOP, state level GOP must be reasonable, I would consider that an extraordinary claim. If this were so, we would not be having GOP endorsed QAnon candidates at the state level left and right.
There are whack-jobs in state legislatures, I know that. We've had some doozies here in WA.

But the idea the governors and legislators in the states that matter would sacrifice their states' voters on the alter of Trump doesn't fit the evidence.
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 11:24 PM   #358
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Here are the top 3 results for "no states are giving their electors to trump" in a search on Startpage:
Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/article/electors-vote.html
Could State Legislatures Pick Electors to Vote for Trump? Not Likely ...
The Constitution gives state legislatures the power to determine the “manner” in ... electors chosen by the party of the presidential candidate who won their state.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/14/opini...erm/index.html
Opinion: The Electoral College is not going to give Trump a second ...
One scenario is that state legislatures could choose their own slate of electors, which could give Donald Trump the 270 electoral votes he would need to win a ...

https://apnews.com/article/election-...12a48835bc0dba
GOP leaders in 4 states quash dubious Trump bid on electors
Republican leaders in four critical states won by President-elect Joe Biden say they won't ... scheme to flip their state's electors to vote for President Donald Trump. ... “I do not see, short of finding some type of fraud — which I haven't heard of ...
Trump and the GOP at the federal level have really mucked up the country and the democratic process. But seriously people, we are not a fascist state yet. It's going to take more than a whack-job POTUS to do that.

Remember, this guy has failed at everything he has ever done. That should at least give people some confidence he's not getting another 4 years.
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 17th November 2020 at 11:26 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2020, 11:31 PM   #359
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,502
Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Haven't confirmed but I think they may have relented.
To confirm they have indeed relented:

Joe Biden won, Michigan elector coup ‘not going to happen,’ GOP leader says
Quote:
Democrat Joe Biden is the president-elect, and while Michigan’s Republican-led Legislature is investigating the election, it will not award the state’s 16 electors to GOP President Donald Trump, Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey told Bridge on Tuesday.

Trump is a failure. This is one more thing he has failed at: being the POTUS. The fact he lost reelection is the expected outcome.
__________________
TRUMP IS A LOSER!

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 17th November 2020 at 11:32 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 12:09 AM   #360
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 14,136
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Remember, this guy has failed at everything he has ever done.
He has been successful in conning people into thinking that he is a successful businessman. He even managed to leverage that into a reality TV show which actually made him money.
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:31 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.