ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags big cats , leopards

Old 13th February 2019, 01:07 AM   #1
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

First Black Leopard Sighting in Africa in Over a Century

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/02/13/a...her/index.html

This is pretty terrific stuff. My son's a cat-nut and will go crazy when he sees this later.

Anyone got any better pictures? Or is this a single still from the gamecam.

ETA: Note to cryptozoologists and 'footers. When we say we need a clear pic, this is what is meant!

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 13th February 2019 at 01:09 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 01:15 AM   #2
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

To be pedantic for a second, this is the first photo for a century, but not the first sighting. I spoke to someone in Malawi who had seen one, for instance. It is thought that there are or have been melanistic examples of every type of mammal on the planet, so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Here are some more photos.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:19 AM   #3
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
To be pedantic for a second, this is the first photo for a century, but not the first sighting. I spoke to someone in Malawi who had seen one, for instance. It is thought that there are or have been melanistic examples of every type of mammal on the planet, so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Here are some more photos.
Yeah, I couldn't squeeze all of that into a thread title so I went with "sighting". Thanks for the pics. The shots are equally excellent.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 02:45 AM   #4
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

This just in from a mate of mine in South Africa, after I alerted him to this series of photos:

Quote:
melanistic leopards seem to be a Kenyan highlands phenomenon - I’ve seen one in the Aberdares, and there have been sightings on Mount Kenya. I’d heard about this one on the Laikipia, but didn’t know that Will was up there (he works with Michael Lorentz)........

When I was a kid (about 16) we saw an albino leopard while winter climbing in the snow in the Cederberg, just north of Cape Town.........
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 06:10 AM   #5
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Interesting that CNN changed its teaser header on the home page from "black leopard" to "black panther". Hoping for the Marvel clicks? The article still has the headline using "black leopard".

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 13th February 2019 at 06:11 AM.
Old 13th February 2019, 07:31 AM   #6
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

If anyone is interested in a proper in depth account of this, here is a good article on Safarious, one of the people for whom the photographer works. My correspondent, quoted previously, also works for Safarious. It's well worth reading because not only does it have great photos, it also has some behind-the-scenes footage of how the photos were obtained.

BTW, the website of Will Burrard-Lucas, the photographer, seems to be unable to cope with the extra traffic which seems to be heading his way. I've been trying all day.

Last edited by MikeG; 13th February 2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:47 AM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This is a great story. I'm confused about something...

Originally Posted by CNN
Pilfold said they captured the footage after months of watching and waiting. His team of biologists had placed remote cameras to track the leopard population near a conservancy area in Laikipia County last year when they heard reports of a possible black leopard sighting.

"We intensified our camera placement in the area the reports were being made," he said Tuesday night. "Within a few months, we were rewarded with multiple observations on our cameras."

Originally Posted by The Guardian
After several days without success Burrard-Lucas returned to his cameras to find a striking image.
Was it months or days to get pictures?
Old 13th February 2019, 08:50 AM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

What is going on with this photograph? It's as if I can see through the leopard.

https://safarious-prod.s3.amazonaws....-leopard-4.jpg
Old 13th February 2019, 09:08 AM   #9
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Interesting that CNN changed its teaser header on the home page from "black leopard" to "black panther". Hoping for the Marvel clicks? The article still has the headline using "black leopard".
To be fair, the definition of panther is "a leopard, especially a black one."
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 10:39 AM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Then what's a jaguar? And is there any difference between a puma, a cougar, and a mountain lion? There are too many interchangeable murder machines roaming the wilds, waiting to literally pounce!
Old 13th February 2019, 11:06 AM   #11
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
What is going on with this photograph? It's as if I can see through the leopard.

It's a flash from the side, remote from the camera.......and it's your eyes playing tricks on you.
Old 13th February 2019, 11:07 AM   #12
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Then what's a jaguar?
Central and Southern American cat. Superficially somewhat like a leopard, but not a leopard.

Quote:
is there any difference between a puma, a cougar, and a mountain lion?......
Same animals (and its variants/ sub-species) but with different names in different parts of the country.

Last edited by MikeG; 13th February 2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 13th February 2019, 11:11 AM   #13
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

To be stricter, rather than fairer, Panthera is the genus that contains all of the main big cats...........lions, tigers, leopards, pumas, jaguars, and so on.
Old 13th February 2019, 11:13 AM   #14
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

This is a great story. I'm confused about something...

Was it months or days to get pictures?
Who would you believe....CNN, or the cameraman who actually obtained the photos? It's there in his own words on the Safarious website I linked to earlier.

Laikipia is a private reserve, not a county. Whoever rushed that story out for CNN got a whole heap of stuff wrong.

Last edited by MikeG; 13th February 2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 13th February 2019, 11:18 AM   #15
Lucian
Illuminator

To be stricter, rather than fairer, Panthera is the genus that contains all of the main big cats...........lions, tigers, leopards, pumas, jaguars, and so on.
Pumas aren't part of the Panthera genus. I believe their genus is Puma.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 11:23 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
Yes, but they are part of the sub-family Felinae, just like the one who is sitting behind me yowling about something. Leopards are in Pantherinae.
Old 13th February 2019, 11:34 AM   #17
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Then what's a jaguar? And is there any difference between a puma, a cougar, and a mountain lion? There are too many interchangeable murder machines roaming the wilds, waiting to literally pounce!

I only ever saw one cougar, and she was wearing leopard skin, drinking in a bar of dubious reputation. The locals warned me to stay away as she was dangerous.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 12:09 PM   #18
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
The panther is like a leopard,
Except it hasn't been peppered.
Should you behold a panther crouch,
Prepare to say Ouch.
Better yet, if called by a panther,
Don't anther.

-- Ogden Nash, The Panther

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 12:33 PM   #19
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Common versus Scientific definition
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 01:09 PM   #20
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Common versus Scientific definition
Yep. I was wrong to include Puma in the list.
Old 13th February 2019, 01:10 PM   #21
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

That's alright. You can report to the stake for burning tomorrow at your convenience
Old 13th February 2019, 01:12 PM   #22
Hungry81
Master Poster

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
The panther is like a leopard,

Except it hasn't been peppered.

Should you behold a panther crouch,

Prepare to say Ouch.

Better yet, if called by a panther,

Don't anther.

-- Ogden Nash, The Panther
Was Ogden half vogon?
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 01:17 PM   #23
Lucian
Illuminator

It's just one of those things that's stuck in my tiny little brain. I know that pumas, while they are large cats, are not considered "big cats" when that term is used to refer specifically to Panthera.
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 01:22 PM   #24
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

That's alright. You can report to the stake for burning tomorrow at your convenience
I'm overcome with gratitude, and, as always, in awe of your benevolence.
Old 13th February 2019, 01:27 PM   #25
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
Cheetahs too! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheetah#Taxonomy
And a cat that has short legs, an elongated body, and a long tail that they call jaguar around 'ere.

An actual Jaguar is also not part of the Panthera genus.

Last edited by Elagabalus; 13th February 2019 at 01:33 PM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 01:37 PM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If a Puma isn't a Panther then what's an Adidas?
Old 13th February 2019, 01:44 PM   #27
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

If a Puma isn't a Panther then what's an Adidas?
Puma and Adidas were founded by brothers, neither of whom was a panther, or any other sort of cat.
Old 13th February 2019, 01:48 PM   #28
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Puma and Adidas were founded by brothers, neither of whom was a panther, or any other sort of cat.
They were quite catty towards and about each other.
Old 13th February 2019, 03:54 PM   #29
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Was Ogden half vogon?
I won't dignify that with an anther.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 07:11 PM   #30
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Yes, I know that. The article (all articles) refer to a "black leopard". Leopards are sometimes called panthers. And it's just a coincidence that one of the largest money-making films in history is "The Black Panther".

The people who write the teasers on the home page for CNN often write catchy click-bait phrases. I'm pretty sure this was intentional. I have a kid and the first thing I did was to check that my memory was correct and that leopards and panthers are the same thing so I could tell him that they got the first photo of Black Panther in the wild. I was joking with him but I had expected one of the news sites to jump on it earlier. Someone looked at the lead and said "wouldn't it be cool if it was a black panther" and someone else pointed out that they're the same thing, so home page editor said "cool!".

Old 13th February 2019, 08:05 PM   #31
Venom
Master Poster

black Pumas are also often called panthers.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 08:17 PM   #32
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
black Pumas are also often called panthers.
They are also often called myths or legends.

It depends on which side of cryptozoology you walk on.
Old 13th February 2019, 08:54 PM   #33
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There's a bushy branch in front of its hindquarters.

Guess we're looking at different things.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th February 2019 at 08:56 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 08:58 PM   #34
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Panthers Jaguars, cougars and pumas don't have spots. The leopard in the images has spots even though it's black over them.

Other differences besides home range I don't know but someone can look it up.

And what do I know, apparently not enough.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th February 2019 at 09:02 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 09:33 PM   #35
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Not that one, Puma concolor is its own genus and is actually the largest of the small cats.

Panthera is the Lion, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard and Jaguar along with several extinct species.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 09:36 PM   #36
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Cheetahs too! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheetah#Taxonomy
And a cat that has short legs, an elongated body, and a long tail that they call jaguar around 'ere.

An actual Jaguar is also not part of the Panthera genus.
Incorrect.

And sorry for repeating what had already been corrected Mike, I should have kept reading.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2019, 09:50 PM   #37
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Panthers Jaguars, cougars and pumas don't have spots. The leopard in the images has spots even though it's black over them.

Other differences besides home range I don't know but someone can look it up.

And what do I know, apparently not enough.
I believe you meant "Mountain Lions, Cougars and Pumas don't have spots". Jaguars assuredly do.

Old 13th February 2019, 10:25 PM   #38
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Incorrect.

And sorry for repeating what had already been corrected Mike, I should have kept reading.
Yes, a "not" got into my sentence quite by accident I can assure you.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th February 2019, 01:24 AM   #39
Susheel
Graduate Poster

Isn't that a jaguar? I thought that Panther derived from Pantera...generic name for big cats?
Old 14th February 2019, 01:42 AM   #40
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

It's almost as if our distant ancestors didn't have as robust a knowledge of taxonomy as 21st century science does.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology