ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Russia history , Russia issues , Russia politics

Old Today, 02:36 AM   #281
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
the sociology of marriage. Nobles do NOT randomly procreate amongst other classes.
Bwah-ha-ha-ha-HAAA!

Have you ever (ever) read any proper history?
Seriously!

You seem to have a very romanticised view of medieval nobility...
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:32 AM   #282
ddt
Mafia Penguin

The geneticist is either patently wrong, or - more likely- he has been misquoted by the TELEGRAPH (who on this occasion reads like the SUN). A direct descendant is from parent to parent.
Why don't you consult a dictionary? The relationship from parent to parent is called marriage, or affair, or dalliance.

What he means is related - cousins and cousins of cousins.

If as you claim 'we are all direct descendants of Edward III', how come I am only a distant cousin?
You only "know" that you're a distant cousin, "knowing" in this case meaning: trusting geni.com. But they only have ca. 100 million profiles, so they're far from complete. Have you drawn up your complete family tree going back 21 to 24 generations? Hint: going back 19 generations, you already have over 1 million ancestors (not necessarily different; the same person can appear at multiple places in your family tree).

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:46 AM   #283
ddt
Mafia Penguin

No, they had their own ideology.
Great riposte. We have given evidence of many shared, core traits of their ideologies. And you just deny it; you don't even give a single example where IKL ideology and NSDAP ideology differed.

Pray tell, how many of your family members voted for the IKL or were even member?

Heh, you may call me, 'Ma'am'.
With outstretched right arm?

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:05 AM   #284
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Uhm. The way communities do or do not marry outside their own communities (for example royalty only marries royalty) makes absolutely no difference to whom may call a specific king his/her ancestor.

Our royal family, which is unremarkable in all things have, starting with the first king and ending with the prince consort of queen Juliana, five generations in all, a total of 17 legitimate children and 35 illegitimate children.

Now. Seeing the histories of earlier kings and their propensity of generating bastards, what kind of 'foorprint' would you expect of a king from say the year 1200 to have? And one (let's call him Carolus) from say the year 800?
Yes, but what you're forgetting is that illegitimate children have a unique chromosomal property that population geneticists refer to as "Doesn't Count."
Old Today, 08:27 AM   #285
erwinl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Yes, but what you're forgetting is that illegitimate children have a unique chromosomal property that population geneticists refer to as "Doesn't Count."
You got me there.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts