ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM   #121
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
What matters is appearing to care. But clearly, the best strategy is not really caring, but simply appearing to do so.
That depends upon the difficulty of doing so. It may be easier to care than the pretend to care, either in the sense of the amount of effort involved or in the sense of the likelihood of success at convincing others.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM   #122
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
That depends upon the difficulty of doing so. It may be easier to care than the pretend to care, either in the sense of the amount of effort involved or in the sense of the likelihood of success at convincing others.
Certainly. I agree.

But this would require clear evidence that caring is easier.

Last edited by phiwum; Yesterday at 07:13 AM.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM   #123
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Certainly. I agree.

But this would require clear evidence that caring is easier.
I think I lost the thread of the discussion. What would require clear evidence?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:21 AM   #124
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think I lost the thread of the discussion. What would require clear evidence?
It was suggested that the self-interested position might be to actually care about others, rather than merely pretend to do so, since the pretense might come with significant costs.

Which could be so, but is not obviously so.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:32 AM   #125
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It was suggested that the self-interested position might be to actually care about others, rather than merely pretend to do so, since the pretense might come with significant costs.

Which could be so, but is not obviously so.
I think it would be very situation-dependent. And entirely subjective. I do not need to have conclusive objective evidence that caring is more self-interested. I only have to believe that is the case, and act accordingly. Ethics isn't about acting with evidentiary certainty. It's about making the best decision we can, based on the (always limited, often insufficient) information we have, according to the values we hold at that time.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:10 AM   #126
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I think it would be very situation-dependent. And entirely subjective. I do not need to have conclusive objective evidence that caring is more self-interested. I only have to believe that is the case, and act accordingly. Ethics isn't about acting with evidentiary certainty. It's about making the best decision we can, based on the (always limited, often insufficient) information we have, according to the values we hold at that time.
If your goal is self interest, then it isn't ethics.

Yes, I know that there's a pathological theory of ethics called egoism. But I think it's an abandonment of ethics.
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #127
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If your goal is self interest, then it isn't ethics.

Yes, I know that there's a pathological theory of ethics called egoism. But I think it's an abandonment of ethics.
It sounds like you're firmly in the "moral value that transcends self interest" camp, when it comes to defending human rights.
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #128
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

It sounds like you're firmly in the "moral value that transcends self interest" camp, when it comes to defending human rights.
Only to the degree that there are transcendental rights.

Arguing that we ought to get along because it's in our interest to do so is fine, I suppose, but I don't think it works and it's certainly not a moral argument.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy