ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th July 2019, 12:32 PM   #81
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Make something new Disney.
This is a bit like asking a cat to bark. Disney has been most successful when not following your advice. In fact, people here are lauding the Disney "Little Mermaid" as classic, when it is itself nothing new. Disney is not in the business of new, it is in the business of rehashing and updating.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 12:54 PM   #82
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
The character in the original book is explicitly described as...well, white I guess.

"The little mermaid leaned her white arms on the edge of the vessel"
"...holding out her white hands toward...

etc.

However, I'm not familiar with the overall text, so I wouldn't be stunned to find out that Disney had already changed any number of aspects of the story that actually make a substantive difference. Early stories like this are usually much darker and layered than simple adaptations carry across.

Even though she was explicitly described as 'white', I'm not sure it actually makes a difference in terms of the narrative arc?
That should be the end of that, but they can't help it.

Princess Tiana exists. They did not have to replace a white woman in any of these Disney princess stories. Introducing a new character with her own storyline, in her own environment makes the character more dignified.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:13 PM   #83
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
This is a bit like asking a cat to bark....
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Despite the tendency to portray mermaids has having scales, clearly they are mammals. They have hair, but more importantly, they also have prominent mammary glands. Their tail fins are generally portrayed as being oriented horizontally, like dolphins and whales, and not vertically as fish are. So mermaids are really more of a human/cetacean hybrid than a human/fish hybrid.

This means they are warm blooded, so she may indeed be hot. But probably not as hot as harpies, which are human/bird hybrids, since birds maintain even higher internal body temperatures than mammals. Harpies be smokin'.
You have greatly expanded my knowledge of both Harpies, and Merpeople. For this, I thank you.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:15 PM   #84
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

Princess Tiana exists. They did not have to replace a white woman in any of these Disney princess stories. Introducing a new character with her own storyline, in her own environment makes the character more dignified.
Normally, I'd agree. In this case, I don't think there are too many different ways you could tell a mermaid falling in love with a Prince story. If you made it different, in a different environment, people would just bitch that you're ******** all over the original story. The parallels would be drawn and it would just be a "different" bitchfest. It wouldn't resolve anything, if you ask me.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:15 PM   #85
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh Jesus Christ if you're keeping count of how many fictional non-human characters share your melanin content and get mad when your score drops, seek help.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:23 PM   #86
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Haven't read the entire thread, just skimmed a few posts, so....

The story is set in medieval Europe, so a black person doesn't make sense......except that it's about a talking fish-girl, (excuse me, scaled cetacean girl) so, it really doesn't have to make sense.

It occurs to me that I didn't notice....what color is Neptune in the remake?

I look forward to the day when no one cares. Sadly, though, I don't believe in reincarnation, so I doubt that I will see that day.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 02:29 PM   #87
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The story is set in medieval Europe, so a black person doesn't make sense.
It isn't set in medieval Europe. But even in medieval Europe, black people existed. The idea that everyone in medieval Europe was white is a myth, and unfortunately a myth that attracts white supremacists to quasi-medieval ideas (talk to a medievalist if you want an earful on this subject).
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:19 PM   #88
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have a problem with a black actress playing Ariel, I do have a problem with Halle Berry though. She is too damn old. Ariel is a young teenage Mermaid, and Halle Berry ain't anywhere near young enough to play a teenager. And innocent has never been in Berry's range.
But I don't give a damn about the Disney live action remakes of their animated films. I caught Beauty and the Beast on cable and was less then impressed;will not bother to see Alladdin or The Lion King, and won't bother to see this either.

I just hope I am not labeled a racist because I think Barry is just plain bad casting.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 11th July 2019 at 03:22 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:35 PM   #89
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't have a problem with a black actress playing Ariel, I do have a problem with Halle Berry though. She is too damn old.
Yeah, it's almost unbelievable. They should have cast someone younger. Halle Bailey would have been a good choice.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 04:13 PM   #90
Venom
Master Poster

Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 04:28 PM   #91
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have a problem with a black actress playing Ariel, I do have a problem with Halle Berry though. She is too damn old. Ariel is a young teenage Mermaid, and Halle Berry ain't anywhere near young enough to play a teenager.
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Yeah, it's almost unbelievable. They should have cast someone younger. Halle Bailey would have been a good choice.
To be fair, I almost made a similar mistake. I thought it was a typo, because until this issue began, I had never heard of Halle Bailey.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 04:28 PM   #92
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh Jesus Christ if you're keeping count of how many fictional non-human characters share your melanin content and get mad when your score drops, seek help.
I have no dog in the race.

I just don't like seeing my childhood shows getting rewritten to appease the politically correct base.
Old 11th July 2019, 04:35 PM   #93
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I just don't like seeing my childhood shows getting rewritten to appease the politically correct base.
And me.

It appears Hollywood scriptwriters have run out of new ideas.

If they want some story ideas for NEW movies that have never before been shot, I have some.

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th July 2019 at 04:37 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 04:39 PM   #94
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Personally, I don't like the live action versions at all. My vision of Ariel is a cartoon character. There's something cool about that art form. Live/semi-human CGI isn't better.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 04:43 PM   #95
wasapi
Philosopher

My 3 granddaughters, who loves the character and are part Hispanic voted. None of us care. One way or another.

At the time the film came out, my then-7yr old said, "It is a movie I waited my whole life to see." When asked why, she said, "Finally a princess who doesn't need a prince."
Old 11th July 2019, 04:53 PM   #96
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I don't have a problem with a black actress playing Ariel, I do have a problem with Halle Berry though. She is too damn old. Ariel is a young teenage Mermaid, and Halle Berry ain't anywhere near young enough to play a teenager. And innocent has never been in Berry's range.
But I don't give a damn about the Disney live action remakes of their animated films. I caught Beauty and the Beast on cable and was less then impressed;will not bother to see Alladdin or The Lion King, and won't bother to see this either.

I just hope I am not labeled a racist because I think Barry is just plain bad casting.
OK, Grandpa Simpson. And don't forget to tie an onion on your belt, as is the style.
Old 11th July 2019, 05:12 PM   #97
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Personally, I don't like the live action versions at all. My vision of Ariel is a cartoon character. There's something cool about that art form. Live/semi-human CGI isn't better.
I think the ultra real CGI versions of Timon and Poomba in the upcoming "Lion King" are not going to be one fourth as funny as the animated originals. Their look is a large part of what made them so funny.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:22 PM   #98
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
My 3 granddaughters, who loves the character and are part Hispanic voted. None of us care. One way or another.

At the time the film came out, my then-7yr old said, "It is a movie I waited my whole life to see." When asked why, she said, "Finally a princess who doesn't need a prince."
That's adorable!

But, was your granddaughter referring to the Little Mermaid?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:25 PM   #99
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I don't have a problem with a black actress playing Ariel, I do have a problem with Halle Berry though. She is too damn old.

Don't worry, they gave her a face lift, and changed her last name. Now she looks like this:

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:37 PM   #100
phunk
Illuminator

Your childhood version doesn't cease to exist because of this version.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 05:46 PM   #101
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
Your childhood version doesn't cease to exist because of this version.
Sometimes it does. See: Original Star Wars.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 07:01 PM   #102
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
So I have a question.

Has anyone met an actual human being in the actual real world who has an issue with this? Or just the standard peanut gallery of online comments, random Twitter accounts that openly admit they are trolling, and television talking heads reporting on a "controversy" that doesn't exist to stir their tribes up?

I know a lot of humans in the real world and most of them have a good grip on what's important and what is media-generated BS.

Nobody seems to care about trans-bathroom issues, Jussie Smollett (who is that?), antifa, nazis, and nobody has heard of pizzagate. NOBODY.

Nobody thinks that men should play women's sports or that illegals should be allowed to come here every day by the thousands.

The stuff that makes headlines if often total media invented BS - a tiny minority with a loud voice. People in the real world seem to be good at sorting through it, but that fluff is the meat and potatoes of this forum.
Old 11th July 2019, 07:07 PM   #103
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Don't worry, they gave her a face lift, and changed her last name. Now she looks like this:

Norm
I think casting a light skinned black woman is EVEN MORE RACIST than casting a white woman.

(Just in case.....no, I don't actually believe that.)

ETA: What I actually think is that she's pretty cute, and has the right look for a mermaid, at least as much as any human can. There's no way she's going to make her eyes as big as the cartoon Ariel could.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 11th July 2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11th July 2019, 07:20 PM   #104
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Jesus christ, who cares. Do mermaids even have races? It shouldn't even matter. Tokenism, my scrawny white ass. She auditioned, she was good, so she got the part. Color shouldn't matter! I'm serious. I can't understand this at all. It's a mermaid.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 07:29 PM   #105
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Yeah. Who's gonna remember my heritage, while all these tree hugging beige and caramel people rewrite the classics? Was it so wrong that Dick and Jane were white? And that they lived lily white neighborhoods of detached houses, where they could play with Spot the dog and Muff, the kitten? What's wrong with giving little black or brown or Asian children role models they can strive to emulate? Why couldn't they learn to read like I did in my segregated school?

When my daughter went to grade school in the 80s I was shocked, shocked I say, to see that Dick and Jane had turned into Juan and Rowena. It just wasn't what I remembered. Won't someone think of the old codgers?

Change? Nosiree! Don't need no change.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 07:33 PM   #106
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Merpeople live in the ocean. It's a really big ocean. It touches all land masses. Maybe they swam from another continent?
Old 11th July 2019, 07:46 PM   #107
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If Ariel's father is the Triton of Greek mythology it means her grandparents were Poseidon and Amphitrite. He was of Titan descent, and she was either a Nereid or Oceanid which means she was descended from either the earth or the ocean. If anybody thinks they know the typical skin coloration of Titans or earth and ocean spirits they can feel free to prove it. I don't recall it being mentioned who Ariel's mother was. Even if her mother was a fullblooded white human Ariel's still a demigoddess with half her ancestors born before humanity even existed. Her physical characteristics are therefore extremely murky.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:00 PM   #108
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

There is only one proper response to this "controversy," and I'm going to dig it out of the annals.

isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 08:41 PM   #109
rdaneel
Illuminator

Personally, I'm offended that they appear to be casting a white woman for Ursula and not a purple drag queen.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 08:52 PM   #110
Venom
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Merpeople live in the ocean. It's a really big ocean. It touches all land masses. Maybe they swam from another continent?
Ariel's black counterpart lives in another ocean...a tropical storm Poseidon's wrath strikes their civilization and whisks some of them away to the murky depths, to the doorstep of King Triton's kingdom.

There, a perfectly good way to introduce a new mermaid character. No recycling necessary!
Old 11th July 2019, 09:01 PM   #111
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

I hope they also write in that she is a trans communist. That would really get the incel youtuber "skeptics" going.

"Oh, my white straight cis male fragility!"
Old 11th July 2019, 09:04 PM   #112
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

But seriously though. It's a movie for kids. And as long as the kids enjoy it (and they most likely will, wether the star is white or brown), then why should we give a crap?
Old 11th July 2019, 09:06 PM   #113
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I think casting a light skinned black woman is EVEN MORE RACIST than casting a white woman.

(Just in case.....no, I don't actually believe that.)

ETA: What I actually think is that she's pretty cute, and has the right look for a mermaid, at least as much as any human can. There's no way she's going to make her eyes as big as the cartoon Ariel could.
Three letters

C. G. I.

Old 11th July 2019, 09:09 PM   #114
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Have not seen the movie yet, but the anime it was based on was pretty good.

Alita is a kicker of buttocks.

Last edited by Lambchops; 11th July 2019 at 09:10 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:16 PM   #115
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Why do you think the story has been rewritten to appease the politically correct base. Perhaps the actress was best for the part?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 11:27 PM   #116
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Why do you think the story has been rewritten to appease the politically correct base. Perhaps the actress was best for the part?
Because brown people bad.
Old 11th July 2019, 11:30 PM   #117
Venom
Master Poster

Perhaps.
Old 12th July 2019, 12:01 AM   #118
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

There is some good news for the white supremacist crowd from Disney: They should all enjoy the Lion King:

Quote:
The first thing to understand about “The Lion King” is that it isn’t in any way about lions, or any other animal species. As in every fable, a variety of cute and cuddly figures stand in for human societal organizations. Mapping our internalized social hierarchies onto the pristine and “neutral” world of the animal kingdom renders these power dynamics natural, common-sense and desirable. But by using predator-prey relationships to allegorize human power, the film almost inevitably incorporates the white supremacist’s worldview, one in which some groups of people are inherently superior to others.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:20 AM   #119
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
There is some good news for the white supremacist crowd from Disney: They should all enjoy the Lion King:
I am beginning to find it quite humorous that given mans history, the concept of one groups superiority over another's suddenly has to be all about idiot white supremacists over another coloured people.

It is like the left suddenly wiped out the holocaust and all the many other atrocities with the same thing from their memories simultaneously
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 12:31 AM   #120
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I am beginning to find it quite humorous that given mans history, the concept of one groups superiority over another's suddenly has to be all about idiot white supremacists over another coloured people.

It is like the left suddenly wiped out the holocaust and all the many other atrocities with the same thing from their memories simultaneously
Are you saying the holocaust was not about white supremacy? You've heard about this whole "Aryan" thing the nazis were so exited about, right?

And if the holocaust ever gets wiped out of history, that will not be done by the left. It will be done by people like you and your fellow travellers on the right.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events