ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 9th March 2020, 06:33 PM   #81
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

It was time to replenish. I usually buy a 12 pack.(beer or TP.) But they only had a couple bales of 24. Looks like I won't have to saw paper towel rolls in half to fit the bathroom dispenser.
Old 9th March 2020, 08:32 PM   #82
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
And why is there a run on hand sanitizer but not on soap? It's more effective. You don't need gallons of hand sanitizer if you're washing your hands and using sanitizer as a backup when water isn't available.
Very hard to carry enough water & towels to wash with when you're away from home.
Old 9th March 2020, 08:33 PM   #83
Suddenly
No Punting

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
I'm fairly annoyed by these idiots. I don't panic-buy things, so if shelves are still being stripped by the time we run out of our current Costco pack, I'll be very unhappy.

And why is there a run on hand sanitizer but not on soap? It's more effective. You don't need gallons of hand sanitizer if you're washing your hands and using sanitizer as a backup when water isn't available.

The market for soap has always been about 100% of the population, while a ton of new people are unexpectedly getting into sanitizer now and it overwhelmed supply. Once the empty store effect hits then the run is on.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 04:24 AM   #84
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Very hard to carry enough water & towels to wash with when you're away from home.
If you are out in the bush yes, but if you are in a building a toilet is not far away.

I prefer Suddenly's idea that normally very few people buy sanitizer. Now most people want to buy it.

I went into a supermarket today. Noticed a few extra spaces on the shelves. That is apart from no loo paper at all. I predict it would be at least a month before loo paper is back on the shelves every day.
Old 10th March 2020, 06:05 AM   #85
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Our university, with a prominent medical school, is heavily involved in local planning for an outbreak. We also have a very large Asian student body, and we’re already seeing flyers warning against racist behavior...
Our captain yesterday advised that the situation with emergency supplies is such that if we, the police department, orders more hand sanitizer and masks and gloves.... Chances are we’ll be disappointed.
But, the university itself has pre-arranged contracts for such things, and so we have to go through the university’s procurement program.

Recently, our department allowed officer to grow more facial hair.... Goatees and such. Unfortunately, the high-level masks will not work with such, so the lads may have to shave...

So far, we just have a couple of cases in the St. Louis area, and I’ve seen no signs of panic buying....Yet. I’ll do my weekly shopping shortly and we’ll see.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:41 AM   #86
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

But hand snitizers don't even work on viruses do they?
Old 10th March 2020, 06:48 AM   #87
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
There's no bringing sense into it. People want to panic and they want to imagine they can take action.

I'm thinking of selling people blue string to wear around their wrists, to focus positive healthful energies.
Old 10th March 2020, 06:49 AM   #88
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm thinking of selling people blue string to wear around their wrists, to focus positive healthful energies.
"Medical studies show our product to be 70% more effective than plain white string."

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:51 AM   #89
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
"Medical studies show our product to be 70% more effective than plain white string."

Dave
It makes sense because blue focuses the energy of the moon, whereas white is for the sun.
Old 10th March 2020, 06:53 AM   #90
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Dammit! I just bought a truckload of green string! I'm ruined!
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 06:55 AM   #91
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I think we're overthinking this. I think when disease outbreaks happen some part of our old reptilian brain just defaults to worrying about generic, general "cleanliness" and that triggers "bathroom" in some people's mental processes.

I also wonder if this really is a thing. My and the wife were grocery shopping and the shelves were gone of hand sanitizers and Lysol style disinfectants but I don't remember the toilet paper aisle being all that threadbare.
Old 10th March 2020, 07:13 AM   #92
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Not if you're trying to sanitize the viruses' hands, they don't! Otherwise, they're fine if the alcohol content is high enough.
You Might Be Buying a Hand Sanitizer That Wonít Work for Coronavirus: Sanitizers that donít contain the CDCís recommended minimum of 60% alcohol are flying off store shelves. (Mother Jones, March , 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 07:17 AM   #93
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I think these should be rationed to people who need them. Like prescription only. I did see a mother with her two children on the bus today wearing them. One of the children had taken her off in the bus, thus making it useless. Worse they were obviously not wearing them properly as I could see holes where air could get into the mouth without going through the mask. I did want to say to the mother "If your children are sick they should at home. If they are not sick they should not be wearing a mask." But I have more sense than that to do so.

They come in handy if you have very ugly children!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 07:32 AM   #94
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Half the patients/visitors in the waiting area at the place I work are wearing face masks.

About half of them have them pulled down so they don't cover their nose.
Old 10th March 2020, 07:57 AM   #95
Butter!
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I think we're overthinking this. I think when disease outbreaks happen some part of our old reptilian brain just defaults to worrying about generic, general "cleanliness" and that triggers "bathroom" in some people's mental processes.

I also wonder if this really is a thing. My and the wife were grocery shopping and the shelves were gone of hand sanitizers and Lysol style disinfectants but I don't remember the toilet paper aisle being all that threadbare.
Yeah, same here. I guess people around here don't care about the apocalypse, lol. Toilet paper is available in both the supermarket and the dollar store at this time. It doesn't look much more picked-over than usual.
Butter! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 08:03 AM   #96
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

So, for those who can't find enough toilet paper, how about:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bio...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10th March 2020, 08:18 AM   #97
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
So, for those who can't find enough toilet paper, how about:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bio...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
"Want it installed? Connect me to the local pros!"
Old 10th March 2020, 08:24 AM   #98
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

It makes sense because blue focuses the energy of the moon, whereas white is for the sun.
Neither one will be very effective unless your product also includes rare earth magnets. I thought this was supposed to be a science forum.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:34 AM   #99
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I know it's a typo, but I like that word. It just cries out for an actual definition. Seems like it would describe a sort of person.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:35 AM   #100
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Half the patients/visitors in the waiting area at the place I work are wearing face masks.

About half of them have them pulled down so they don't cover their nose.

That is reassuring! It means that they probably aren't going to rob you.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:38 AM   #101
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I know it's a typo, but I like that word. It just cries out for an actual definition. Seems like it would describe a sort of person.

I'm afraid it has already been TM'd!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 10th March 2020, 09:33 AM   #102
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Beaches of NJ checking in: have not seen a single mask worn, hand sanitizer seems normally stocked, tp also seems normal.

In important news, and I kid you not, Corona beer is like 33% off.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:00 AM   #103
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Just been to the shops today; stocks of toilet paper are low, lots of empty shelves but not completely sold out. Painkillers also low, as are thermometers.

I also seem to be getting a cold, which is not the best thing to have at this time.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 10:01 AM   #104
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I have to go pick up an Rx for my wife. Guess I'll see what else I can get.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:08 AM   #105
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

I order shopping online for delivery, and did so today. I thought I'd stock up a little on loo paper, not because of any worries about Covid-19, but because I didn't want to be left without loo paper because everyone else is buying the hell out of it. Which is the absurd logic of these things, I guess.

Anyway, turns out the shop was only allowing two packs of loo rolls per customer. Similar limits in place on pretty much anything with "antibacterial" in the name, too.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:11 AM   #106
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Beaches of NJ checking in: have not seen a single mask worn, hand sanitizer seems normally stocked, tp also seems normal.

In important news, and I kid you not, Corona beer is like 33% off.

Saw a post on Facebook. A beer store was offering free rolls of toilet paper with every case of Corona.
Old 10th March 2020, 10:12 AM   #107
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Seismosaurus View Post
I order shopping online for delivery, and did so today. I thought I'd stock up a little on loo paper, not because of any worries about Covid-19, but because I didn't want to be left without loo paper because everyone else is buying the hell out of it. Which is the absurd logic of these things, I guess.

Anyway, turns out the shop was only allowing two packs of loo rolls per customer. Similar limits in place on pretty much anything with "antibacterial" in the name, too.
Sales are up for Harry Potter and the Antibacterial Amulet.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:21 AM   #108
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

An Australian woman tried to order 48 rolls of TP from "Who Gives A Crap" but accidentally ordered 48 cases.
I see it as a business opportunity for her.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:23 AM   #109
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
An Australian woman tried to order 48 rolls of TP from "Who Gives A Crap" but accidentally ordered 48 cases.
She can finally eat an entire can of Pringles potato chips!
Old 10th March 2020, 11:25 AM   #110
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

She can finally eat an entire can of Pringles potato chips!
Even the Olestra ones!

Nitpick: Pringles are called "crisps", not "potato chips". Because the latter have to be made from actual potatoes.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:31 AM   #111
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Even the Olestra ones!

Nitpick: Pringles are called "crisps", not "potato chips". Because the latter have to be made from actual potatoes.
I refuse to call anything "crisps". It sounds effete and British. I don't mind sounding effete but one must draw the line somewhere, my dear chap.
Old 10th March 2020, 12:57 PM   #112
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Now the company is out of stock of TP. Has been for a week or more.
Old 10th March 2020, 01:50 PM   #113
xjx388
Philosopher

I'm pretty sure this is mostly media-spread hysteria. A news report about people buying lots of TP somewhere . . . "What? I didn't even think of TP! I better get some too!" There's no rhyme or reason why people now have to have months of TP at home. Around here, bottled water is also flying off the shelves, which I think makes even less sense than TP.

Why do people panic about some things, but not all similar things? I think the answer is the amount of media coverage the panic itself receives.

Also: This kind of thing really brings out humanity's true colors. "I want all the TP! You get no TP! I will fight you for your TP!"
Old 10th March 2020, 01:57 PM   #114
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Now the company is out of stock of TP. Has been for a week or more.
She can jack up the price!
Old 10th March 2020, 01:58 PM   #115
Stout
Illuminator

I heard a rumour somewhere that doomsday shoppers are stocking up on cat litter. I must confess though, today I bout a little extra beer. OK, maybe a lotta extra beer.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 02:03 PM   #116
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
I heard a rumour somewhere that doomsday shoppers are stocking up on cat litter.
I hope it's because they have cats, and not because they got beaten to the punch of stocking toilet paper and decided to poop in an alternative manner.
Old 10th March 2020, 02:16 PM   #117
Stout
Illuminator

I hope it's because they have cats, and not because they got beaten to the punch of stocking toilet paper and decided to poop in an alternative manner.
I hope so to. There might be some secret cure for the virus made up of cat litter, hand sanitizer and toilet paper and if there is, it must be on Facebook which I don't use.

Facebook that is, I don't use Facebook. Or for that matter cat litter or hand sanitizer. I use toilet paper, but not much anymore that I got the bidet which is great, o r will be great once I get the water pressure issues figured out because right now, it's like sitting atop Old Faithful.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 04:12 PM   #118
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I heard a rumour somewhere that doomsday shoppers are stocking up on cat litter.
All I know is, if I run out of cat food, I'll be dead within a day. Preceded by a lot of warning howls.
Old 10th March 2020, 04:25 PM   #119
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I heard a rumour somewhere that doomsday shoppers are stocking up on cat litter.....
umm, something it is an ingredient in? explosives or a nutritional supplement? Some of it is Bentonite clay, if as a prepper you want to make green sand for a post-apocalyptic foundry.

Or maybe it is just a dryer, to absorb moisture so you can pack guns away for long term storage? Why not use toilet paper, kill two birds with one swipe?
Old 10th March 2020, 04:54 PM   #120
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We've got a week or two supply of cat food and litter. Then I'll have to venture out. The sale on cat food lasts until nearly the end of the month, so that's good.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events