ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Gaza flotilla raid , Israel-Palestine conflict

Closed Thread
Old 23rd January 2011, 06:16 PM   #4721
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Secret papers reveal slow death of Middle East peace process

• Massive new leak lifts lid on negotiations
• PLO offered Israel key settlements
• Concessions on refugees and Holy sites

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ace-concession
Quote:
The overall impression that emerges from the documents, which stretch from 1999 to 2010, is of the weakness and growing desperation of PA leaders as failure to reach agreement or even halt all settlement temporarily undermines their credibility in relation to their Hamas rivals; the papers also reveal the unyielding confidence of Israeli negotiators and the often dismissive attitude of US politicians towards Palestinian representatives.
So....good news then?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2011, 06:23 PM   #4722
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Don't you get tired of this kind of lying? Do you really think you're going to get away with it when I'm right here to point it out? You're not exactly covering yourself in glory here, maybe it's time to withdraw.

Nonsense. He's winning.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2011, 06:27 PM   #4723
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:13 PM   #4724
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

Well, for starters they had to abide by the agreements they made and not turn down all the deals offered to them.

Do you think that's too much to ask of Palestinians?

Maybe you could create your own list, hmmm?
maybe you could create your own list? A list of all the agreements they had to abide by?

come on son, you surely expect no more of palestinians in the creation of Palestine than was expected of Jews in the creation of Israel??

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:21 PM   #4725
ThunderChunky
Master Poster

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Who knew electing a genocidal terrorist group as your government, which promptly went to war against a much more powerful neighbor, could have an effect on the economy?

I can't understand how this happened!

So basically, anything goes.
ThunderChunky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:25 PM   #4726
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
maybe you could create your own list? A list of all the agreements they had to abide by?
Yawn. It seems you have run out of things to argue and are now trying to manufacture something new.

come on son, you surely expect no more of palestinians in the creation of Palestine than was expected of Jews in the creation of Israel??
I have already addressed this, fool. If you have something new to say, feel free. If not, then maybe it's time for you to lick your wounds and skulk away. Again.
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:26 PM   #4727
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
what ever happened to that Iraqi guy, I used to crack up at his optimism..

and Zigg....shame on you for blatant driveby

The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:30 PM   #4728
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

Yawn. It seems you have run out of things to argue and are now trying to manufacture something new.

I have already addressed this, fool. If you have something new to say, feel free. If not, then maybe it's time for you to lick your wounds and skulk away. Again.
look, you don't have to answer now I know its a hard question for someone with double standards....Palestinians have to do various things for an unspecified time before you would be comfortable with them establishing a nation....with Jews and Israel....not so concerned. If you need time to think, get back to me.

Old 23rd January 2011, 08:07 PM   #4729
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

look, you don't have to answer now I know its a hard question for someone with double standards....Palestinians have to do various things for an unspecified time before you would be comfortable with them establishing a nation....with Jews and Israel....not so concerned. If you need time to think, get back to me.
Tell you what, fool. If you really think this is an issue rather than you just blathering incoherently to cover how you got your arse handed to you for supposedly not supporting Hamas while whining that they should have their own seaport for easier smuggling, why don't you start a new thread on it?
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:19 PM   #4730
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Secret papers reveal slow death of Middle East peace process

• Massive new leak lifts lid on negotiations
• PLO offered Israel key settlements
• Concessions on refugees and Holy sites

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...ace-concession
What on earth does this have to do with the aid flotilla???
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2011, 09:14 PM   #4731
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

Tell you what, fool. If you really think this is an issue rather than you just blathering incoherently to cover how you got your arse handed to you for supposedly not supporting Hamas while whining that they should have their own seaport for easier smuggling, why don't you start a new thread on it?
sigh.....you need to calm down rather than go into a frenzy when you get a hard question. And you can start a thread on anything you like but generally you have to express an opinion which you may find challenging.

anyway...to assist you calming down you can go on ignore for a while (again).

Old 23rd January 2011, 11:46 PM   #4732
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

sigh.....you need to calm down rather than go into a frenzy when you get a hard question. And you can start a thread on anything you like but generally you have to express an opinion which you may find challenging.

anyway...to assist you calming down you can go on ignore for a while (again).
Just as I thought, you don't really want to put that up for discussion. Just a diversion.
Old 23rd January 2011, 11:58 PM   #4733
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Israel's report is out.

Not really a surprise in the conclusion, I think anyone could have guessed that the UNHR would find against Israel, Israel would find for them, and Turkey's, when done, will find against them, without endangering Randi's million dollars.

I'm still waiting on the only one I think will do a good job, the UN's Palmer Report.

I would note though that this one did have two International Observers who say "We have no doubt that the Commission is independent.''

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 02:26 AM   #4734
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Israel's report is out.

Not really a surprise in the conclusion, I think anyone could have guessed that the UNHR would find against Israel, Israel would find for them, and Turkey's, when done, will find against them, without endangering Randi's million dollars.

I'm still waiting on the only one I think will do a good job, the UN's Palmer Report.

I would note though that this one did have two International Observers who say "We have no doubt that the Commission is independent.''
Good summary. It should be noted, however, that Israel has been critical of
the actions of it's armed forces in the past, so you should not automatically assume that the decision was pre-ordained.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 03:56 AM   #4735
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
the actions of it's armed forces in the past, so you should not automatically assume that the decision was pre-ordained.
I can't see that it was pre-ordained and it is good to see independent observers so I'm confident that the report is an independent assessment of everything they were able to access. I do think its unfortunate that they were not allowed to interview or directly question any soldiers about the events on the ship. They had to rely on a couple of Generals to answer on behalf of the soldiers. Or questions submitted in writing and answered in statements overseen by the IDF.

I would have liked to see the commission directly interview people actually there.

http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Ar...aspx?id=204774

Soon after the commission was established, Turkel demanded the right to subpoena witnesses to appear before it. The government granted it that power. However, it was understood that the commission would not question any soldiers involved in the operation. For the purposes of the investigation, the soldiers were represented by Chief-of-General Staff Lt.-Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi and Maj.-Gen. Giora Eiland, who conducted a probe of the military aspects of the operation.

The members of the commission were permitted to submit questions to individual soldiers who participated in the operation to a military committee which was empowered to approach the soldiers directly.

Old 24th January 2011, 04:26 AM   #4736
JihadJane
not a camel

What on earth does this have to do with the aid flotilla???
Israel often justifies its resort to violence by pleading Palestinian intransigence during negotiations. The leaked papers reveal this to be a dishonest claim.

The quest for a two-state solution is now over.

Last edited by JihadJane; 24th January 2011 at 04:35 AM.
JihadJane is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 05:19 AM   #4737
amb

A two state solution will never work, and the Israelis know that. Nothing short of all Jews leaving Palestine would appease the moslems.
amb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 05:24 AM   #4738
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by amb View Post
A two state solution will never work, and the Israelis know that. Nothing short of all Jews leaving Palestine would appease the moslems.
What would appease the jews?
Old 24th January 2011, 05:27 AM   #4739
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think that it really matters how good it was, or how independant it was, those that are against Israel where always going to call its own investigation a whitewash.

Similarly it's interesting that those doing the investigation for Turkey have condemed the Isreali report even though they haven't finished their own, so it's pretty clear which side they are coming down on.

As I say, I'm going to wait on the Palmer report, that one has the best access to people and will be truely independant.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 05:28 AM   #4740
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

That people stopped firing rockets and morters at their homes and ceased calling for their deaths?

Old 24th January 2011, 08:51 AM   #4741
Thunder
Banned

If the Palestinians packed their bags and walked to Jordan and Egypt.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 08:53 AM   #4742
Thunder
Banned

A two state solution will never work, and the Israelis know that. Nothing short of all Jews Palestinians leaving Palestine the West Bank would appease the moslems Jews.
fixed that for ya.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 09:48 AM   #4743
DC
Banned

so you are in favor of a one state solution? or what solution do you have in mind?
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 01:37 PM   #4744
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

That's not true. The recent leaks reveal the Palestinian negotiators were prepared to make major concessions to have a peace deal. That still wasn't good enough for Israeli negotiators.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 03:25 PM   #4745
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
That's not true. The recent leaks reveal the Palestinian negotiators were prepared to make major concessions to have a peace deal. That still wasn't good enough for Israeli negotiators.
Cite?
Old 24th January 2011, 03:27 PM   #4746
Thunder
Banned

Cite?
yup, apparently the Palestinians were willing to make huge concessions to the Israelis, allowing them to annex almost all major settlement blocks and Jewish neighborhoods in East Jerusalem.

they were even willing to pretty much give up the Palestinian Right-of-Return, as long as Israel allowed back 100,000 refugees.

but Israel still said "nein!!".

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition...salem-1.338785

Last edited by Thunder; 24th January 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 24th January 2011, 03:57 PM   #4747
JihadJane
not a camel

Cite?
The papers you were so pleased with, above.

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
That people stopped firing rockets and morters at their homes and ceased calling for their deaths?
You really think that would stop Israel grabbing more land?

Last edited by JihadJane; 24th January 2011 at 03:58 PM.
JihadJane is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 04:10 PM   #4748
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

Cite?
Looks like someone trying to undermine the PA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12263671

Abbas says:

Quote:
"What is intended is a mix-up. I have seen them yesterday present things as Palestinian but they were Israeli... this is therefore intentional," he said in Cairo, in remarks quoted by the Reuters news agency.
The chief negotiator backs him up.

eta: I don't necessarily believe either of them, but as the article points out, Israel had offered concessions rejected, so it looks like someone trying to present a definitely selective, possibly distorted version.

Last edited by quixotecoyote; 24th January 2011 at 04:12 PM.
quixotecoyote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 09:42 PM   #4749
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

The papers you were so pleased with, above.
This article says it's essentially the same plan as the Clinton peace plan only with some modifications made in favor of the Palestinians.

Which, if true, makes it pretty close to what Palestinians were already offered back in 2000.

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition...apher-1.338995

"The Palestinians had agreed to divide Jerusalem based on the Clinton peace plan and the Geneva Initiative maps, with slight modifications, according to maps found among the documents leaked to Al Jazeera, cartographers said.

The maps the Palestinians brought to the negotiating table had a number of changes made in them in favor of their position, said cartographers Shaul Arieli of the Council for Peace and Security and Yair Assaf-Shapira of the Jerusalem Institute for Israel Studies."

I would have rather tripped up AUP with that one, but you're not a bad second choice.
Old 24th January 2011, 09:46 PM   #4750
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by quixotecoyote View Post
Looks like someone trying to undermine the PA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12263671

Abbas says:

The chief negotiator backs him up.

eta: I don't necessarily believe either of them, but as the article points out, Israel had offered concessions rejected, so it looks like someone trying to present a definitely selective, possibly distorted version.
It's interesting that the spin on these stories isn't to marvel at how close these two sides got and to see it as an optimistic sign, but instead to slander the two sides. The Palestinians for offering too much and the Israelis for not taking it.
Old 24th January 2011, 09:52 PM   #4751
Virus
Philosopher

Israel often justifies its resort to violence by pleading Palestinian intransigence during negotiations. The leaked papers reveal this to be a dishonest claim.
Not leaked papers, faked papers. The Palestinian Authority is about as trustworthy as the Soviet Union. The lies work because some people need them.

Last edited by Virus; 24th January 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Virus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2011, 10:03 PM   #4752
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Virus View Post
Not leaked papers, faked papers. The Palestinian Authority is about as trustworthy as the Soviet Union. The lies work because some people need them.
You are aware that there has been no such thing for nearly 20 years?

Old 24th January 2011, 10:50 PM   #4753
quixotecoyote
Howling to glory I go

It's interesting that the spin on these stories isn't to marvel at how close these two sides got and to see it as an optimistic sign, but instead to slander the two sides. The Palestinians for offering too much and the Israelis for not taking it.
That's cause there isn't a "The Palestinians."

Fatah can't take too many steps towards peace without losing ground to Hamas, Hamas can't too many steps towards war without getting another wave of tanks rolling in, and Israel won't get good PR no matter what it does short of dissolving and letting Hamas and Fatah fight over the remains, so the spin is pretty much inevitable.
Old 24th January 2011, 10:59 PM   #4754
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by quixotecoyote View Post
That's cause there isn't a "The Palestinians."

Fatah can't take too many steps towards peace without losing ground to Hamas, Hamas can't too many steps towards war without getting another wave of tanks rolling in, and Israel won't get good PR no matter what it does short of dissolving and letting Hamas and Fatah fight over the remains, so the spin is pretty much inevitable.
One understands the "spin" from Hamas or Fatah, it's the media spin that's harder to understand.
Old 25th January 2011, 12:20 AM   #4755
bigjelmapro
Illuminator

One understands the "spin" from Hamas or Fatah, it's the media spin that's harder to understand.
Why the media does it or how?

Interesting summation of the Turkel commission's flotilla report and the reaction of the BBC, CNN and the Indepedent to name a few in their need to keep up with the same old accusations, which has now turned into accusation of 'whitewashing' the IDF:

Flotilla Report: BBC Plumbs the Depths

Currently, I think the CNN, by watching their material and that arrogant lady that took over from Amanpour, is worse than the BBC. At least the BBC occasionally disguises their bias against Israel.
bigjelmapro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2011, 06:53 AM   #4756
amb

To be left alone in peace. To be able to go to a shopping center without the chance that a rocket fired from Gaza will explode in the center square. Or a suicide bomber blowing up a busload of children on their way to school.
amb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2011, 11:42 AM   #4757
JihadJane
not a camel

To be left alone in peace. To be able to go to a shopping center without the chance that a rocket fired from Gaza will explode in the center square. Or a suicide bomber blowing up a busload of children on their way to school.
Would that stop them grabbing more land?
Old 25th January 2011, 11:45 AM   #4758
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by Virus View Post

Are you able to substantiate this claim (hilited, above)?

The Guardian newspaper has substantiated the papers.

Last edited by JihadJane; 25th January 2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 25th January 2011, 01:24 PM   #4759
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Live and let live. Palestinians can choose to have peace at anytime.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2011, 02:17 PM   #4760
Thunder
Banned

To be left alone in peace.

if it were only that simple.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events