ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th January 2011, 11:17 PM   #1
tkmikkelsen
Thinker

Manila Bus Bomb

If you don't know about the bombing in Manila yesterday, then you can read about it here, http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...bomb-explosion

I live and work in Makati, less than a mile from where the bus exploded. It is of course a little bit unnerving to have a terrorist attack close to where you live.
This attack along with the attack in Russia have really started me thinking, what do these terrorist want to accomplish by these attacks and why would you spend your energy killing your own countrymen. The attackers in Manila are in all likelihood Filipino Muslims or Communist terrorist. They should instead use the energy to help their country get on and move forward there are many things that needs to be done in the Philippines and in many ways you can attribute much better than blowing up hard working Filipinos. I just don't get it what is the goal of these people, is there a goal or are they acting completely random?

**** I hate terrorist of all kind and feel immensely for those who lost family and friends in Russia and here in the Philippines.
tkmikkelsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th January 2011, 11:27 PM   #2
MG1962

You ask the same question people from many countries have asked, and I fear will continue to ask. What do they want?

In a nutshell for you to see the world their way. To live in fear of their actions. To bow to these cowards

They prefer a world fueled by hate and division. I prefer one fueled by hope.

Do whatever you need to get through this. Morn the dead, help the living. Just dont be afraid. When you do that, they have won. And I will be damned if I will ever fear cowards
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2011, 12:05 AM   #3
HumanityBlues
Graduate Poster

My friend is living right there about 20 minutes away from where it happened. He told me about 20 minutes after it occurred. I'm surprised how little news coverage there has been on it.
HumanityBlues is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2011, 01:18 AM   #4
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Its big news here, but then again we're up to our armpits in philipinos

Its weird how regional it is: "which island was it?" "ahhh they were asking for it"
Old 26th January 2011, 09:09 AM   #5
tkmikkelsen
Thinker

I believe that part of the reason for it not getting much coverage outside areas where there is a lot of Filipinos living is because of the tragedy in Russia.

It is true you will often hear Filipino's ask the famous question about which province was it in?
This is because most of the time it takes place in Mindanao, which is the worst province in the Philippines when it comes to militia groups ruling over the countryside. Davao the main city there is fairly peaceful.
What makes this bombing rather different is that not only did it take place inside Manila, but on top of that in Makati. A place that is as far from rural militia rules Philippines as you can get. Makati resembles Hong Kong more than other parts of the Philippines.
tkmikkelsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2011, 09:17 AM   #6
tkmikkelsen
Thinker

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
You ask the same question people from many countries have asked, and I fear will continue to ask. What do they want?

In a nutshell for you to see the world their way. To live in fear of their actions. To bow to these cowards

They prefer a world fueled by hate and division. I prefer one fueled by hope.

Do whatever you need to get through this. Morn the dead, help the living. Just dont be afraid. When you do that, they have won. And I will be damned if I will ever fear cowards
I do agree with you and believe me I don't fear terrorist attacks one way or the other and will change my way of life.
It is just that my logic sense is baffled by the action of whoever planted the bomb on the bus. For what reason did he do it? Is his life better today than it was before he planted the bomb? Most likely not as he and his compatriots now will be hunted by the Philippine military and most likely be killed if caught.
Is there anything that can be positive from this action (and the one in Russia)? No, nothing at all. It leads nowhere, there is no goal in an action like this. It is in fact so pointless, I can not think of one thing that should be able to make a human do this. Oh wait, I can think of one thing, but is for the religion and philosophy forum.
Old 26th January 2011, 02:46 PM   #7
MG1962

Originally Posted by tkmikkelsen View Post
Is there anything that can be positive from this action (and the one in Russia)? No, nothing at all. It leads nowhere, there is no goal in an action like this. It is in fact so pointless, I can not think of one thing that should be able to make a human do this. Oh wait, I can think of one thing, but is for the religion and philosophy forum.
And given your country gave us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Power_Revolution

considered by many the archetype peaceful civil war - The actions are even more unfathomable
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2011, 03:42 PM   #8
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

I would seem that bombings and the like are more common that we would like to think:

1 killed,3 wounded in Afghan bombing
Kabul : Afghanistan | 22 days ago

6 killed in Guatemala bus bombing
Guatemala City : Guatemala | 22 days ago

8 dead, 3 wounded in shooting attack on bus in Honduras
Tegucigalpa : Honduras | 19 days ago

Bombs Targeting Afghan Intelligence Service Kill 6
Kabul : Afghanistan | 14 days ago

3 alleged militants, 1 official killed in Russia's Northern ...
Makhachkala : Russia | 12 days ago

Blast kills 10 bus passengers in NW Pakistan
Kohāt : Pakistan | 9 days ago

Suicide bomber kills up to 60 police recruits in Iraq
Baghdad : Iraq | 7 days ago

1 dead, 11 injured in Pakistan cart bomb
Peshawar : Pakistan | 7 days ago

Car bombs kill six as terrorists target Shiite pilgrims in Iraq
Baghdad : Iraq | 2 days ago
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th January 2011, 05:22 PM   #9
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

So in the last month, world wide, 100 dead by terrorism, vs 400,000 by natural causes.

I think I'm more afraid of cancer than of terrorism.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events