ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Gaza flotilla raid , Israel-Palestine conflict

Closed Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 06:12 PM   #761
Pardalis
Banned

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...s-mavi-marmara

Quote:
One of them said that each soldier descending by rope on to the boat was assailed by three or four activists. "They just started beating him up, tearing him to pieces – it was a lynch," the soldier said. He added that the activists were armed with metal rods, knives, slingshots and glass bottles, and were at one point firing live rounds. "They started hitting me with the metal rods, and while defending myself, I guess I broke my arm," he said. "At this point I didn't have a weapon in my hands." The soldiers said those aboard the Marmara came prepared for battle, while the soldiers were "prepared to straighten things out, talk to them".
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:19 PM   #762
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
So how is that blacked out???
It has been blacked out by keeping the people, who they are now releasing, in prison, incommunicado. Controlling the initial, dominant narrative is an important part of shaping a propaganda narrative.

They also appear to have stolen all passenger records of the assault, as well as having smashed film equipment during the raid. They have taken control of the crime scene, with ample opportunity to destroy evidence of what actually happened.

The US governing regime is now recommending that Israel investigates itself...
Old 1st June 2010, 06:21 PM   #763
Pardalis
Banned

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
The US governing regime
Why can't you say "the US" like everybody else?

You're trying too hard.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:23 PM   #764
JihadJane
not a camel

I don't know what media you are watching/listening to/reading.

But I am getting a lot more than just the Israeli government narrative. In fact I am finding that the Israeli government narrative is getting somewhat short shrift on much of the media.

I have watched CNN, Fox, AlJazeera and our local Australian news services and local newspapers, getting a fairly broad idea of the different narratives provided. AlJazeera gives the Israeli government line, but always with a skeptical comment tacked on the back.

I am waiting for the journalists on board the flotilla to be released to hear their version of events.
The only information on which to base any narrative of the attack has been that provided by the Israelis. Until recently, there has been no other witness testimony.
Old 1st June 2010, 06:23 PM   #765
stilicho
Trurl's Electronic Bard

It has been blacked out by keeping the people, who they are now releasing, in prison, incommunicado. Controlling the initial, dominant narrative is an important part of shaping a propaganda narrative.
They sure did a poor job of that since the major US networks have been strewn with sharp rebukes of Israel even though the evidence contradicts your dominant narrative.

LondonJohn: "I don't need to cite."
Rolfe: "I really hate lawyers."
stilicho is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:23 PM   #766
brantc
Muse

'Fire Started Before IDF Landing, Wounded bled to Death"
“I felt that I would not get out alive from Flotilla of humanitarian ships. It was possible to stop the fleet, but not in this way with the use of military brutality, weapons and the horrific attack on over 600 participants in the campaign, who all were civilians, parliamentarians, peace activists” said Hanan Al-Zoubi, the Arab-Israeli Knesset member from National Democratic Alliance who was on one of the ships during the Israeli maritime piracy operation against the International peace activists on their way to break the genocidal siege imposed on Gaza."

"Al- Zoubi stressed that the attack took place on the ship in international waters, at a distance of 130 miles from the coast, at around quarter past fourth early at dawn. She pointed out that the campaign organizers had asked the passengers to wear life jackets, but that the commandos landing started out very fast. In less than 10 minutes there were already 3 dead and dozens wounded.“

http://www.kawther.info/wpr/2010/06/...-bled-to-death
brantc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:25 PM   #767
Zach Aviv
Thinker

They also appear to have stolen all passenger records of the assault, as well as having smashed film equipment during the raid. They have taken control of the crime scene, with ample opportunity to destroy evidence of what actually happened.
We do this because we superior and think to erase evidence in advance.

Quote:
The US governing regime is now recommending that Israel investigates itself...
This because we Jews control US regime and do what we say. We Jews smart.
Zach Aviv is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:26 PM   #768
Pardalis
Banned

Originally Posted by brantc View Post
From that very objective source:

"I did not see any passengers carrying a stick, or a sharp object"

This is clearly not true.
Old 1st June 2010, 06:28 PM   #769
stilicho
Trurl's Electronic Bard

The only information on which to base any narrative of the attack has been that provided by the Israelis. Until recently, there has been no other witness testimony.
False. We'd seen stories such as this: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...gaza-ship.html. All the "witness testimony" was from friends of the "peace activists".

LondonJohn: "I don't need to cite."
Rolfe: "I really hate lawyers."
stilicho is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:30 PM   #770
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by JHawke View Post
and finally a picture of some of the weapons oboard Mavi Marmari

Zionist lies! Those were just tools and material to build a baby milk factory.
Old 1st June 2010, 06:30 PM   #771
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by Ferguson View Post
It is sick that a mother would use her own child for political cache in such a manner, even sicker is how well it seemed to work.
All criminals should just start carrying around babies, then they're completely unassailable, THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

Yes, what could possibly be the reason? See if you can come up with one that makes sense and you might understand what this flotilla was about. There were women, children and pensioners on the boats.

Clue: Rambling about criminals carrying babies around is not going to help you gain any insight whatsoever, assuming that's what you're interested in.
Old 1st June 2010, 06:31 PM   #772
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

http://i48.tinypic.com/2ag2fpl.jpg
If someone came into my house right now they could find all those items except for the shawls.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:31 PM   #773
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

It has been blacked out by keeping the people, who they are now releasing, in prison, incommunicado.
Stundie material!
Old 1st June 2010, 06:32 PM   #774
Pardalis
Banned

Originally Posted by stilicho View Post
False. We'd seen stories such as this: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...gaza-ship.html. All the "witness testimony" was from friends of the "peace activists".
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1586701/
Quote:
His job onboard: “human shield.[...]Mr. Neish joined the convoy as a human shield. Friends said he drew on his experience as a rugby player, blocking the hallway and taking a beating by soldiers so as to buy journalists on board his ship time to file stories in the event of being boarded. ”
I guess he got what he wanted.
Old 1st June 2010, 06:33 PM   #775
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

If someone came into my house right now they could find all those items except for the shawls.
So therefore they weren't being used to attack the boarders?
Old 1st June 2010, 06:34 PM   #776
JihadJane
not a camel

....and finally a picture of some of the weapons oboard Mavi Marmari
Pathetic!

...and, in the interest of balanced reporting, please post some links to videos of passengers being shot in the head.

Last edited by JihadJane; 1st June 2010 at 06:39 PM.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:35 PM   #777
JHawke
Scholar

Watch the video too, then..
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvS9P...eature=related)
Gasmasks, lots of slingshots + stones for the slingshots, and a firebomb of some sort.

Not so peaceful imo
JHawke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:35 PM   #778
JoeTheJuggler
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by noreligion View Post
Covert? How do you know about it?
The official line is to neither confirm nor deny the Israeli nuclear arsenal, but it is pretty generally known.

What is your claim? That the program is overt and official? Or that there is no Israeli nuclear program?
Old 1st June 2010, 06:35 PM   #779
Pardalis
Banned

Yes, what could possibly be the reason? See if you can come up with one that makes sense and you might understand what this flotilla was about. There were women, children and pensioners on the boats.

Clue: Rambling about criminals carrying babies around is not going to help you gain any insight whatsoever, assuming that's what you're interested in.
Your own link stated this:

"because we knew there would be a confrontation "

Now why would anyone bring kids if they knew confrontation was going to happen?
Old 1st June 2010, 06:38 PM   #780
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

That is obviously untrue.

I have been hearing other witness testimony from very early on, from various sources as I already pointed out.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:40 PM   #781
Zach Aviv
Thinker

It is good that many American here defend Jewish slaughter of Turkish aid workers that try to help Gaza by bringing things on ship. It show Jewish media do good in America and fiction of Palestinian terrorist is swallow well.
Zach Aviv is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:42 PM   #782
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
He wasn't on the ship in question.
Old 1st June 2010, 06:45 PM   #783
JihadJane
not a camel

That is obviously untrue.

I have been hearing other witness testimony from very early on, from various sources as I already pointed out.

Can you say who these witnesses are and when they spoke?

Thanks.

Israel will release all 620 people detained Monday during the raid on the Gaza aid flotilla, Head of the National Information Directorate Nir Hefetz said Tuesday night.

Last edited by JihadJane; 1st June 2010 at 06:52 PM.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:47 PM   #784
Pardalis
Banned

Jihad, do you usually bring your kids to a potentially volatile situation?
Old 1st June 2010, 06:50 PM   #785
JHawke
Scholar

Pathetic!

...and, in the interest of balanced reporting, please post some links to videos of passengers being shot in the head.
Sorry can't find any, but maybe you can?

Or would you rather continue talking silly and slinging around accusations?
JHawke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:55 PM   #786
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Watch the video too, then..
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvS9P...eature=related)
Gasmasks, lots of slingshots + stones for the slingshots, and a firebomb of some sort.

Not so peaceful imo
When I see Islamic style shawls carefully placed next to these items and carefully interwoven among the gas masks it sets the bs detector buzzing.

If they are not above that sort of manipulation then it makes me wonder what other sort of manipulation they are doing.

I think it likely that the activists aboard the ship were seeking to spark just this sort of confrontation.

But I still think I will wait for more information before making my mind up. There are a couple of highly experienced Aussie journos who we still haven't heard from.
Old 1st June 2010, 06:57 PM   #787
JihadJane
not a camel

Sorry can't find any, but maybe you can?
No, there aren't any available. Showing videos of passengers being violently attacked wouldn't have produced the effect that the Israeli propagandists had in mind.

Quote:
Or would you rather continue talking silly and slinging around accusations?
It's witness testimony.
Old 1st June 2010, 06:58 PM   #788
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

No, I am asking how is it that you are quoting something that you claim has been blacked out?

That does not seem to be very effective blacking out.
Old 1st June 2010, 06:58 PM   #789
Pardalis
Banned

No, there aren't any available. Showing videos of passengers being violently attacked wouldn't have produced the effect that the Israeli propagandists had in mind.
What about the videos of activists clubbing and stabbing IDF soldiers?

Are you denying those videos exist?
Old 1st June 2010, 06:58 PM   #790
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Kitchen knives and wrenches??????

The Free World has been saved from a truly grave threat.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 06:59 PM   #791
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Which, according to you, doesn't exist because it has been blacked out.
Old 1st June 2010, 07:01 PM   #792
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

They tore him to pieces and his arm was in a sling. They stitched him back together then?
Old 1st June 2010, 07:02 PM   #793
Pardalis
Banned

They tore him to pieces and his arm was in a sling. They stitched him back together then?
I'm guessing he was using a figure of speech.
Old 1st June 2010, 07:03 PM   #794
Thunder
Banned

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100601/...srael_flotilla

In other news, Israel has caved on its pathetic threat to prosecute the "evil terrorist food delivering activist Nazis".
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 07:03 PM   #795
JihadJane
not a camel

Which, according to you, doesn't exist because it has been blacked out.
Please read my post, above. It was blacked out and the blackout has worked very well, for example, on many of the posters on this thread, who are convinced they know what happened on the ships, despite having had virtually no information except that chosen for release by the israelis, to support their ludicrous self-defense case.

"Detainees" are now being released.

Last edited by JihadJane; 1st June 2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old 1st June 2010, 07:04 PM   #796
Thunder
Banned

Oooh..I think I see some cd's.

You know, music can be veeeeery dangerous!!!

Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2010, 07:04 PM   #797
Pardalis
Banned

Jihad, are you denying the videos showing the activists clubbing and stabbing the IDF soldiers exist?
Old 1st June 2010, 07:05 PM   #798
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

For example AlJazeera on Monday night broadcast passenger accounts of the attack, contrasting them with Israeli accounts. That was about 10pm Australian time.

They did not provide names and addresses of the witnesses so I cannot supply those. But either AlJazeera were broadcasting witness accounts or they were making it all up.
Old 1st June 2010, 07:09 PM   #799
Pardalis
Banned

Showing videos of passengers being violently attacked wouldn't have produced the effect that the Israeli propagandists had in mind.
Jihad, your attention is requested:

Originally Posted by BeAChooser View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU12K...layer_embedded "Demonstrators Use Violence Against Israeli Navy Soldiers Attempting to Board Ship"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYjkL...layer_embedded "Close-Up Footage of Mavi Marmara Passengers Attacking IDF Soldiers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buzOW...layer_embedded ""Peace activists" stabbing IDF soldier"
Old 1st June 2010, 07:10 PM   #800
Thunder
Banned

Jihad, are you denying the videos showing the activists clubbing and stabbing the IDF soldiers exist?
are you suggesting people have no right to defend themselves against an illegal boarding?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events