IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:04 PM   #1
The Shrike
Philosopher

Where's the Thylacine thread?

Twitter is abuzz today with a Thylacine fanboi group claiming they've got game cam footage of mama, papa, and joey Thylacine. They should have confirmation (??) by the end of the week.

Yawn.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:46 PM   #2
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Well, it's a foregone conclusion that whatever they imagine was spotted, it wasn't Thylacines. Thylacines are striped.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:53 PM   #3
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Twitter is abuzz today with a Thylacine fanboi group claiming they've got game cam footage of mama, papa, and joey Thylacine. They should have confirmation (??) by the end of the week.

Yawn.
Was there any actual trailcam footage?
I just skipped through the fat, deluded Tasmanian talking bollocks and didn’t actually see any “proof”.

What did I miss?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:00 PM   #4
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Was there any actual trailcam footage?
I just skipped through the fat, deluded Tasmanian talking bollocks and didn’t actually see any “proof”.

What did I miss?
Nothing. No actual footage or still pictures. Just the fat guy talking.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:04 PM   #5
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Nothing. No actual footage or still pictures. Just the fat guy talking.
And receiving undue attention.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 03:34 AM   #6
Castro
Muse

Where's the Thylacine thread?...
Here you go: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ight=tasmanian
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:03 AM   #7
The Shrike
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Castro View Post
Thanks, but I meant for this new claim.

Of course we could lump all the Thylacine threads in one because they're the same: dude claims to see Thylacine; doesn't.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:02 AM   #8
Castro
Muse

Thanks, but I meant for this new claim...
Ah, OK, sorry.
Quote:
...Of course we could lump all the Thylacine threads in one because they're the same: dude claims to see Thylacine; doesn't.
Yep and as you said in your opening post:
Quote:
Yawn.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 10:40 AM   #9
Drewbot
Philosopher

Note: Just one week ago, he release a youtube video PREDICTING that one of his trail cams would produce a Thylacine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uwQFqTHVGc
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:36 PM   #10
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

I'll refuse any vaccinations that have thylacines added to them.
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:19 PM   #11
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I'll refuse any vaccinations that have thylacines added to them.
Really?
But aren't they the preservative of choice?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:47 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

BREAKING: it was a pademelon.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...melon/13186806
Old 24th February 2021, 09:07 AM   #13
Drewbot
Philosopher

On the bright side, millions of people now know what a pademelon is.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 09:25 AM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Everyone knows what a pademelon is.

Those are Darkseid's shock troops, right?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 02:51 PM   #15
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Everyone knows what a pademelon is.

Well, I didn't.
First pic, I thought it was a quokka. Sorry... don't see many pics of those either.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 03:36 PM   #16
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Well, I didn't.
First pic, I thought it was a quokka. Sorry... don't see many pics of those either.
[footermode]That’s because Thylacine are perfect mimics. All photos of pademelons or quokkas are in fact thylacine.[/footermode]
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 04:22 PM   #17
The Shrike
Philosopher

Well, that was fun.
Old 24th February 2021, 05:03 PM   #18
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Well, that was fun.
Exactly the same amount of fun as it was last time. And the time before that. And the time before that. And the time before that. And the time...
Old 24th February 2021, 05:53 PM   #19
Dumb All Over
A Little Ugly on the Side

Location: They call it the Earth (which is a dumb kinda name)
I've tried pademelon. It's not for me. I much prefer cantaloupe.
The Three Word Story Pledge of Allegiance- "I Hereby swear upon Engelbert's grave that I will gallop, not stride run, not walk posting three words on Shemp's honor, honoring: bananas, dwarfs, clarinets, [the 7th naughty forum word], haggis, Batman, nuns, wombats until such time as I'm sober. Or dead."
"Some people have a way with words, other people...Um...Oh...Uh, not have way." -Steve Martin
Dumb All Over is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 09:49 AM   #20
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm betting it was a Pademelon photo in that earlier thread.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 11:51 AM   #21
Drewbot
Philosopher

I disagree JoeMorgue, I think it was dog. With a stick throwing the eye off.
Old 25th February 2021, 01:14 PM   #22
chuff8xt
Student

True, dat.
Pretty cute little buggers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pademelon
chuff8xt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 04:31 AM   #23
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Well, I now know what a pademelon is, for which I am very grateful. Thanks to all concerned!
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 09:55 AM   #24
Lplus
Muse

Society coffers getting a bit low again?

Communism actively works against the fundamental urge of the human animal to survive and prosper, even at the expense of others, whilst Nazism relies on that urge.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 10:13 AM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Well, I now know what a pademelon is, for which I am very grateful. Thanks to all concerned!
Watch out it is probably another one of those joke animals the Australians keep making up to mess with us - like Kangaroos and Platypus. Don't know why they do that given they have such real animals such as Drop Bears.
Old 27th February 2021, 11:36 AM   #26
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Any information as to the potential of cloning a Thylacine?
Old 27th February 2021, 06:18 PM   #27
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Watch out it is probably another one of those joke animals the Australians keep making up to mess with us - like Kangaroos and Platypus. Don't know why they do that given they have such real animals such as Drop Bears.

It is a little known fact that Thylacines are actually extinct because they were the Drop Bears favourite food. Since then the Drop Bears have thrived, having found a new food source - Tourists, who are too busy looking at the ground to avoid snakes, rather than up into the trees to avoid Drop Bears, but also fail to smudge Vegemite on their face for protection.

Norm

Last edited by fromdownunder; 27th February 2021 at 06:20 PM.
fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 09:35 PM   #28
EHocking
Philosopher

Where’s the Thylacine thread?

Oh, and to answer the OP

Here.
Old 27th February 2021, 10:49 PM   #29
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
BREAKING: it was a pademelon.
Embarrassingly, I'm an Aussie and I didn't know what a pademelon was. Here is a colour photo of a Tasmanian pademelon and a B&W photo of a Tasmanian tiger ( Thylacine)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TasmanianTiger.jpg (10.3 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg Tasmanian pademelon.jpg (5.9 KB, 102 views)
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2021, 01:18 AM   #30
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Pure coincidence but yesterday I stopped for 3-4 minutes on a Kratt Brothers Wild Creatures (?) episode that had them time traveling back a century or so to save the T Tiger from extinction.
I'm not the target audience so I bailed before finding out what they did.

Old 28th February 2021, 02:03 AM   #31
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Embarrassingly, I'm an Aussie and I didn't know what a pademelon was. ( Thylacine)
Same here.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2021, 02:11 AM   #32
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Embarrassingly, I'm an Aussie and I didn't know what a pademelon was. Here is a colour photo of a Tasmanian pademelon and a B&W photo of a Tasmanian tiger ( Thylacine)

The thylacine seems to have been misidentified as a Sydney morning herald.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 28th February 2021 at 02:12 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2021, 03:41 PM   #33
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
The thylacine seems to have been misidentified as a Sydney morning herald.
Yep. A Sydney Morning Herald is another type of Australian animal. (Journalisti enebriatus) This fast evolving species was once only found at drinking holes around the Holt St publishing head quarters of the Sydney Morning Herald, laying bets on horses.

However with the invention of the mobile phone and the evolution of the chief of staff, a symbiotic relationship evolved where the chief of staff would howl "Getbacktotheofficeyoudrunkedbastardsoryour'efired " which causes Journalisti enebriatus to rush back to a cavernous structure called the main office.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 08:15 AM   #34
Drewbot
Philosopher

This is candy for Cryptid fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCRjz1fyOE4

Joe Rogan and Forrest Galante talking about rare / extinct/ imaginary beasts for 2.5 hours.

Cool story about the Thylacines bound for the Bronx Zoo that escaped en route to the zoo. 2 breeding pair of Thylacine bound for the bronx zoo, the boat they were on crashed into the shore, and they escaped.

47:00 minute mark approx.
Old 5th March 2021, 03:17 PM   #35
EdipisReks
Custom Title

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Pure coincidence but yesterday I stopped for 3-4 minutes on a Kratt Brothers Wild Creatures (?) episode that had them time traveling back a century or so to save the T Tiger from extinction.
I'm not the target audience so I bailed before finding out what they did.
They fixed the cable?

"I read the Book Of Mormon once. Wasn't it about Uma Thurman, um, thrumming a Theremin?"
--epepke (9-22-2004)
EdipisReks is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 05:25 PM   #36
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
They fixed the cable?
To catch the lightning?

When I switched away they were planning to teach the critters to fear humans and hence have enough survive (some Brit transplant was having them exterminated to protect her new sheep ranch. That biyatch.)
I'll guess it didn't go so well.

Old 7th March 2021, 09:52 PM   #37
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

This is candy for Cryptid fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCRjz1fyOE4

Joe Rogan and Forrest Galante talking about rare / extinct/ imaginary beasts for 2.5 hours.

Cool story about the Thylacines bound for the Bronx Zoo that escaped en route to the zoo. 2 breeding pair of Thylacine bound for the bronx zoo, the boat they were on crashed into the shore, and they escaped.

47:00 minute mark approx.
I wouldn't give Rogan the benefit of my ears if I was paid to.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal