IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , diseases

Reply
Old 24th February 2021, 12:30 PM   #1761
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 14,116
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I guess Truths are somehow different from facts. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but not to their own facts.
Truth. Er, factual. Wait, opinionated. Never mind.
__________________
We find comfort among those who agree with us, growth among those who don't -Frank A. Clark

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 12:54 PM   #1762
Caroline13
Muse
 
Caroline13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: So Calif.
Posts: 557
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I guess Truths are somehow different from facts. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but not to their own facts.
Again, what are you talking about opinions, facts...you Skeptics are hilarious...
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 12:58 PM   #1763
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,021
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
No, you need to go to a really qualified source, like someone flogging air purifiers!
__________________
"I know my brain cannot tell me what to think." - Scorpion

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 01:00 PM   #1764
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing
 
beachnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dog House
Posts: 25,853
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Again, what are you talking about opinions, facts...you Skeptics are hilarious...
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
...
And I believe it's some kind of a planned designed hoax from day 1 when the March 12 switch seemed to be turned on. ...
Got some facts to back up your opinion/belief.

You have opinions based on paranoid conspiracy theories about Covid.

So you are not a skeptic, you are believer.
__________________
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" - Albert Einstein
"... education as the means of developing our greatest abilities" - JFK
https://folding.stanford.edu/ fold with your computer - join team 13232
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 02:31 PM   #1765
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,988
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Again, what are you talking about opinions, facts...you Skeptics are hilarious...
Well, you were the one who introduced your capital-T Truths. I don't know what Truths are, but if forced to guess I would suppose they were opinions which you feel deserve special treatment.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 02:34 PM   #1766
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ngunnawal Country
Posts: 71,227
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
I'm a Big Girl and can handle myself as I know my Truths.
How do you know that your Truths are really true?

This is the most important question in the universe, by the way. Think about it very carefully.
__________________
We will meet them on the beach, we will meet them on the phone hook-ups.
- Scott Morrison, probably
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 03:12 PM   #1767
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,349
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
I'm a Big Girl and can handle myself as I know my Truths.
Knowing or believing you know what is true, with or without a capital T, is not the same as knowing how to behave. Do with that observation whatever you like.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 03:27 PM   #1768
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,029
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
I'm a Big Girl and can handle myself as I know my Truths.
.....but can't remember what last vaccination you had?

What was it Caroline13?
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 03:43 PM   #1769
EHocking
Philosopher
 
EHocking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 8,592
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Oh please, you continue to say grape seed oil, put it in your salads and see how they taste and even cook with it, I did that for awhile yrs ago...I no longer buy or use grape seed OIL.


I have no charts and either take it or don't, do a google with all the benefits of grape seed extract and just about every known health issue.

Grape seed Extract and Asthma for one. Just One.

https://www.usairpurifiers.com/blog/...thma-symptoms/

Do you have a health issue? If so, do a search of it and Grape Seed EXTRACT.
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Lab produced drugs are synthetic for the most part. Nothing earthy about them as I can see.
Extract doesn’t seem very earthy.
“The classic method incorporates extraction with organic solvents such as acetone, acetonitrile, ethyl acetate, and methanol.”
Also, do you know how VitD is synthesised?
Not very earthy either.

Your belief systems just don’t seem to be consistent.
__________________
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 05:26 PM   #1770
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,110
Oh good, Caroline is back! Maybe now she can answer me?

I mean, we wouldn't want to make people think she was being intellectually dishonest, would we?
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 06:11 PM   #1771
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,962
Probably shouldn't post this question, but the old CTist in me can't help it.

Why don't COVID-19 CTists see the virus as a dry-run for a future NWO bio-weapon?

Governments and NGOs around the globe are collecting all kinds of data on how exactly the virus spread, who got it, and why they were infected:

Higher rates in Minorities? Check.

Loud Mouth anti-government types refusing to take basic precautions? Check.

If there was some secret NWO out there it has become obvious how to cull the population, and eliminate resistance without ever firing a shot.

There was a time the good CTists would have thought this way,
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 08:14 PM   #1772
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 22,917
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Oh please, you continue to say grape seed oil, put it in your salads and see how they taste and even cook with it, I did that for awhile yrs ago...I no longer buy or use grape seed OIL.


I have no charts and either take it or don't, do a google with all the benefits of grape seed extract and just about every known health issue.

Grape seed Extract and Asthma for one. Just One.

https://www.usairpurifiers.com/blog/...thma-symptoms/

Do you have a health issue? If so, do a search of it and Grape Seed EXTRACT.
What do you mean "oh please"? Answer the question. This is how science works. You just don't know what you're talking about and don't care that the advice you give could kill people. What you're doing is immoral, vile and despicable. Do you want to kill people? That's how you're acting. Do you think it's funny?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 08:15 PM   #1773
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 22,917
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
I'm a Big Girl and can handle myself as I know my Truths own lies.
FTFY.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 09:26 PM   #1774
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 6,528
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
I'm a Big Girl and can handle myself as I know my Truths.
Does that include calling DNA "a preservative, pure and simple"? I notice you've never addressed that one.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 04:42 AM   #1775
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,709
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Probably shouldn't post this question, but the old CTist in me can't help it.

Why don't COVID-19 CTists see the virus as a dry-run for a future NWO bio-weapon?

Governments and NGOs around the globe are collecting all kinds of data on how exactly the virus spread, who got it, and why they were infected:

Higher rates in Minorities? Check.

Loud Mouth anti-government types refusing to take basic precautions? Check.

If there was some secret NWO out there it has become obvious how to cull the population, and eliminate resistance without ever firing a shot.

There was a time the good CTists would have thought this way,
Well there's your problem. Any "CTist" who thinks anything will be accomplished by posting inane thoughts on this obscure message board is not even worthy of the name.





(Also, they do not realize that most of us here are already an important component of that very conspiracy )
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 05:20 AM   #1776
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 19,107
I know nobody who is sick and dying of "Covid-19". I know a lot of people who are sick and dying of "the measures", though. Fascism kills. Fear is the virus.
__________________
If they want the pandemic to end, they just have to stop testing. Then people will die of the flu again, like they did before - Wolfgang Wodarg
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 05:54 AM   #1777
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 31,672
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I know nobody who is sick and dying of "Covid-19". I know a lot of people who are sick and dying of "the measures", though. Fascism kills. Fear is the virus.
Lucky you. Living in Germany you must be very fortunate, have a comparatively narrow circle of acquaintances, be underplaying the effects on people you know or some combination of all three.

A number of close friends have caught Covid-19, several have been very sick, some are still feeling the effects weeks and months later.

One of Mrs Don's uncles died from Covid-19, her mother's best friend died with Covid-19.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 06:01 AM   #1778
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 4,034
Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Probably shouldn't post this question, but the old CTist in me can't help it.

Why don't COVID-19 CTists see the virus as a dry-run for a future NWO bio-weapon?

Governments and NGOs around the globe are collecting all kinds of data on how exactly the virus spread, who got it, and why they were infected:

Higher rates in Minorities? Check.

Loud Mouth anti-government types refusing to take basic precautions? Check.

If there was some secret NWO out there it has become obvious how to cull the population, and eliminate resistance without ever firing a shot.

There was a time the good CTists would have thought this way,
On a related note:
It occurred to me this morning that, if, as the CTs would have it, the vaccine is deliberately designed to be fatal, as part of this supposed depopulation programme, then the vaccine would be a really bad way of achieving this.

All the 'sheeple' would take the vaccine, and all the 'fearless resistance fighters' would refuse. The weapon, then, would cull all those MOST likely to go along with the Government's Evil Plan, and leave alive those most likely to resist it.
Utterly self-defeating. Why would they do this? It makes no sense at all.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 06:03 AM   #1779
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,709
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
On a related note:
It occurred to me this morning that, if, as the CTs would have it, the vaccine is deliberately designed to be fatal, as part of this supposed depopulation programme, then the vaccine would be a really bad way of achieving this.

All the 'sheeple' would take the vaccine, and all the 'fearless resistance fighters' would refuse. The weapon, then, would cull all those MOST likely to go along with the Government's Evil Plan, and leave alive those most likely to resist it.
Utterly self-defeating. Why would they do this? It makes no sense at all.
Yeah! Conspiracy theories are inevitably well thought out and logical.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 06:17 AM   #1780
Armitage72
Philosopher
 
Armitage72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 5,450
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
On a related note:
It occurred to me this morning that, if, as the CTs would have it, the vaccine is deliberately designed to be fatal, as part of this supposed depopulation programme, then the vaccine would be a really bad way of achieving this.

All the 'sheeple' would take the vaccine, and all the 'fearless resistance fighters' would refuse. The weapon, then, would cull all those MOST likely to go along with the Government's Evil Plan, and leave alive those most likely to resist it.
Utterly self-defeating. Why would they do this? It makes no sense at all.

You missed the step where the vaccine is made mandatory, so the fearless resistance fighters all get rounded up and shipped to the FEMA detention camps for their refusal.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 06:51 AM   #1781
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14,892
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I know nobody who is sick and dying of "Covid-19". I know a lot of people who are sick and dying of "the measures", though. Fascism kills. Fear is the virus.
Availability heuristic in action.
__________________
The things that you're liable
To read in the Bible
It ain't necessarily so
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 07:23 AM   #1782
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,008
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I know nobody who is sick and dying of "Covid-19".
Lucky you! How many people have you known who died of heart disease, in the last ten months?

Quote:
I know a lot of people who are sick and dying of "the measures", though. Fascism kills. Fear is the virus.
You know a lot of people who are dying of wearing face-masks and social distancing? That sounds like histrionic ******** to me.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 08:11 AM   #1783
SteveAitch
Thinker
 
SteveAitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: St Aines
Posts: 180
Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
You missed the step where the vaccine is made mandatory, so the fearless resistance fighters all get rounded up and shipped to the FEMA detention camps for their refusal.
Ah, if all the sheeple are dead, who's left to do the rounding up?
__________________
If this board is too exciting for you, try my Flickr pages. Warning: may cause narcolepsy!
SteveAitch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 08:25 AM   #1784
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 19,107
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Lucky you! How many people have you known who died of heart disease, in the last ten months?.

Nobody restricts my basic rights or forces me to wear a silly face diaper because of heart disease. Last time I've checked people are even still allowed to do dangerous nonsense like skydiving.
__________________
If they want the pandemic to end, they just have to stop testing. Then people will die of the flu again, like they did before - Wolfgang Wodarg
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 08:27 AM   #1785
junkshop
Student
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: blighted lorry park
Posts: 39
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Nobody restricts my basic rights or forces me to wear a silly face diaper because of heart disease.
As has been pointed out many times, heart disease isn't contagious.

Last edited by junkshop; 25th February 2021 at 08:28 AM.
junkshop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 08:33 AM   #1786
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,709
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Nobody restricts my basic rights or forces me to wear a silly face diaper because of heart disease. Last time I've checked people are even still allowed to do dangerous nonsense like skydiving.
Think a little. Is there a potential for an individual with heart disease or a person skydiving to spread a potentially lethal disease to others?

Actual human beings worthy of the name have empathy for their fellow people. This is the epitome of the idiocy of wanting freedom without responsibility. Almost makes you sound like an American conservative.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 08:36 AM   #1787
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 19,107
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Think a little. Is there a potential for an individual with heart disease or a person skydiving to spread a potentially lethal disease to others?

Actual human beings worthy of the name have empathy for their fellow people. This is the epitome of the idiocy of wanting freedom without responsibility. Almost makes you sound like an American conservative.


I think big. Was it me who brought up heart disease?
__________________
If they want the pandemic to end, they just have to stop testing. Then people will die of the flu again, like they did before - Wolfgang Wodarg

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 25th February 2021 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typo
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 09:27 AM   #1788
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,008
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Nobody restricts my basic rights or forces me to wear a silly face diaper because of heart disease. Last time I've checked people are even still allowed to do dangerous nonsense like skydiving.
I'm not sure if you genuinely missed the point, or if you're being deliberately obtuse. You've taken my response to your first claim and applied it to your second, while ignoring my second point. Erroneous or deliberate, we may as well proceed as if it's a failure of comprehension on your part.

My first point about knowing anyone who's died of heart disease in the last ten months highlights your statistical fallacy. Heart disease is the number one killer in the world. But most people don't know many people who die of heart disease in any given ten month period. But an individual anecdote about such a lack of personal association doesn't mean that heart disease is a myth.

If I could eliminate heart disease deaths by wearing a mask for a tiny percentage of my life, I'd gladly do it. And I wouldn't whine about it like a big baby. But heart disease isn't spread by people as they exhale, is it? So that point is a non sequitur. Skydiving is a similarly ludicrous analogy, because if you skydive, you are taking a chance with your own life, and not randomly risking the lives of others. A better analogy would be speeding in an automobile on public roads. The "personal risk" argument falls apart because it isn't just you being put at risk when you ignore the dangers.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 09:29 AM   #1789
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,008
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I think big. Was it me who brought up heart disease?
Bring it up? You didn't even understand the analogy.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 09:50 AM   #1790
Carrot Flower King
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Northumberland, UK
Posts: 931
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post

Do you have a health issue? If so, do a search of it and Grape Seed EXTRACT.
Which several of us DID and found nothing supporting any of your claims and a whole heap of things, including from a couple of the Merkinanian hospitals you said supported it, saying that it does nowt - that's nada, zilch, naff all, sod all, nothing.

And then you did not respond to us pointing that out.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 09:56 AM   #1791
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 19,107
Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Bring it up? You didn't even understand the analogy.

Heart disease is a fact of life, like the flu. Nobody is throwing a hissy over it. Your "analogy" is absurd.
__________________
If they want the pandemic to end, they just have to stop testing. Then people will die of the flu again, like they did before - Wolfgang Wodarg
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 10:31 AM   #1792
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat
 
Pixel42's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malmesbury, UK
Posts: 13,195
Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Which several of us DID and found nothing supporting any of your claims and a whole heap of things, including from a couple of the Merkinanian hospitals you said supported it, saying that it does nowt - that's nada, zilch, naff all, sod all, nothing.

And then you did not respond to us pointing that out.
To be fair, that isn't what the link I posted says. There's real evidence it does help with some things (high cholesterol, for example). It's just not a cure all, as Caroline13 seems to be claiming.
__________________
"If you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things" - Terry Pratchett
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 10:35 AM   #1793
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon
 
Foster Zygote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 18,008
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Heart disease is a fact of life, like the flu.
Traffic deaths are a fact of life, too. Are you going to call speed limits, traffic signals, seat belt laws and manufacturer safety standards "fascism"? There's very little that you or I can do to prevent heart disease in others by modifying our own behavior. But there's a hell of a lot we can personally do to reduce the risk of others dying in a traffic accident.

Quote:
Nobody is throwing a hissy over it.
But some people are throwing tantrums over practices like wearing a mask in public and avoiding close contact with people outside their homes. Seriously, can you tell us exactly how many people you personally know who have died as a direct result of masks or social distancing? You claimed it was "a lot", so you should be able to give us some idea how many.

Quote:
Your "analogy" is absurd.
Again, you don't even realize what the analogy is about. It was directly addressing your argument that COVID19 isn't serious because you don't personally know anyone who's died from it. Heart disease is another deadly reality, but if someone concluded that it's a hoax, or was overblown and little worse than seasonal flu because he or she hadn't personally known anyone who died from it in the last ten months, that person would be making a remarkably stupid argument.
__________________
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 11:12 AM   #1794
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,709
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I think big. Was it me who brought up heart disease?
To borrow a phrase from a one-time poster here - Evidence?
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 11:44 AM   #1795
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,962
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Nobody restricts my basic rights or forces me to wear a silly face diaper because of heart disease. Last time I've checked people are even still allowed to do dangerous nonsense like skydiving.
If a single act of skydiving killed 20 people on the ground unrelated to the skydiver the sport would be outlawed by noon.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 11:55 AM   #1796
Axxman300
Illuminator
 
Axxman300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central California Coast
Posts: 4,962
During my appointment with my Pulmonologist yesterday we discussed COVID-19. She said it has been a nightmare, both the virus itself, and the state and county's response to it. California has screwed up testing beyond repair. The current vaccine distribution is a mess.

She said she and her colleagues have never seen something like COVID-19. The virus is amazingly contagious, and it hits fast. A patient can be fine one day and on a ventilator the next.

The appointment was done online. If the virus was fake we would have met in person.
__________________
Disingenuous Piranha
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 12:12 PM   #1797
Caroline13
Muse
 
Caroline13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: So Calif.
Posts: 557
Well, the latest on the vaccines, the J&J will not be given to the older folks, being saved for the youngins, this vaccine supposedly is not as strong as the 2 being used now. All these rushed vaccines and so much I believe to be known as time goes on.

Just so glad the vaccine is not on my list of "things to do"...

Thanks but no thanks big pharma and big govt.

Give me my Vit C, D, Zinc and and and.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 12:16 PM   #1798
kali1137
Graduate Poster
 
kali1137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Purgatory, PA
Posts: 1,746
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Well, the latest on the vaccines, the J&J will not be given to the older folks, being saved for the youngins, this vaccine supposedly is not as strong as the 2 being used now. All these rushed vaccines and so much I believe to be known as time goes on.

Just so glad the vaccine is not on my list of "things to do"...

Thanks but no thanks big pharma and big govt.

Give me my Vit C, D, Zinc and and and.
If you repeat this enough times maybe someone will give you a cracker.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 12:17 PM   #1799
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,475
Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Well, the latest on the vaccines, the J&J will not be given to the older folks, being saved for the youngins, this vaccine supposedly is not as strong as the 2 being used now. All these rushed vaccines and so much I believe to be known as time goes on.

Just so glad the vaccine is not on my list of "things to do"...

Thanks but no thanks big pharma and big govt.

Give me my Vit C, D, Zinc and and and.
How did the Polynesians - who had a very healthy diet, do when they encounter Europeans and their diseases? The Hawaiian's lost 84% of their population once they encountered Cook. How do you explain that?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 12:51 PM   #1800
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,349
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Heart disease is a fact of life, like the flu. Nobody is throwing a hissy over it. Your "analogy" is absurd.
I think you're being obtuse, and insofar as you continue with an analogy, it's more than a little absurd.

Heart disease is not contagious of course, but it is also the target of huge, varied efforts in numerous fields. Doctors, drug makers, food manufacturers, advertisers, public service organizations, gymnasia, health experts and health quacks, all push heart healthiness. It's a huge concern and a huge industry. Because it is not contagious, the attention given it is not so obvious, the "hissy" of a different sort, but it's also blindingly obvious that it's taken seriously whether or not you care to observe it.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.