IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 23rd February 2021, 07:36 AM   #1961
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
i'm struggling to come to a different understanding on what was meant to be communicated here.

From the transcript:

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts...ock-jon-ossoff
Interesting that Business Insider chose to snip that bit off.

Is it your contention that in a rally that happened after he was elected, and which was not nationally televised, Biden misled the nation as to what would happen if he became President?

Come off it, we both know he was making the point that when Republicans were in control they wouldn't send out more than $600 and had to be dragged there kicking and screaming. And so, electing Democrats would be the only way to get that $600 up to the $2000.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:45 AM   #1962
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

i'm struggling to come to a different understanding on what was meant to be communicated here.

From the transcript:

Do you think he was lying or do you think he was just wrong?

Does the difference matter to you? To others?

I think he was just wrong and that difference does matter to me, but it may not matter much to others. I'm not getting a check, which I'm very happy about, but I really wish others would get theirs soon. The sooner the better and the closer to $2000 the better.

That it wasn't an immediate $2000 is a disappointment, but not a tragic failure of the Biden administration in my eyes. As I said, though, my perspective is rather from the outside.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:53 AM   #1963
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Do you think he was lying or do you think he was just wrong?

Does the difference matter to you? To others?

I think he was just wrong and that difference does matter to me, but it may not matter much to others. I'm not getting a check, which I'm very happy about, but I really wish others would get theirs soon. The sooner the better and the closer to $2000 the better.

That it wasn't an immediate $2000 is a disappointment, but not a tragic failure of the Biden administration in my eyes. As I said, though, my perspective is rather from the outside.
I don't think anyone with the political savvy and experience of Biden can have honestly believed that any relief check would be "immediate". The chances of Republican cooperation were so remote they may as well be zero. Including the relief check as part of larger covid relief legislation guarantees that the adoption will be delayed. Allowing swift relief to become the general expectation was setting themselves up for minor failure.

I also don't think it's a huge scandal, but I think it's still going to be a matter of disappointment, especially for desperate people who had good reason to believe the fruits of political victory would be coming more swiftly.

Honestly, I don't really think the intentions of the Democratic party matter much at all. Results matter, intentions don't, especially when it comes to matters of intense financial need during an emergency.

ETA: The current handling of the $2000 stimulus only makes me pessimistic for the future of any economic recovery from covid. The $2000 direct payment is truly only a drop in the bucket compared to the massive financial damage wrought by the pandemic. It should be the opening salvo of monthly payments or other more vigorous relief, but I suspect it will be a one-off that signals nothing other than fulfilling a campaign promise.

It's my deep fear that the lack of meaningful relief is going to be responsible for huge swaths of people becoming trapped into a cycle of poverty.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 23rd February 2021 at 09:07 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:01 AM   #1964
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Agreed this is true. The price of oil only increased 15% during Biden's first month in office.
Please tell the group about the impact of the weather on oil production. Next perhaps impress us with your vast knowledge of pending dispute between Saudi Arabia and Russia on production quotas. Next explain what policies Biden has put in place that impact production or demand since coming into office.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 01:54 PM   #1965
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Oh I've posted articles that we are close to Herd Immunity or already in it. The pandemic could be over, but the politicians want to keep it alive and keep all the sheep in fear and jabbed.

What happened to working on one's HEALTH??????
No, you are nowhere near herd immunity. Less than 10% of the US population have had Covid 19 so far. It takes about 70% to achieve herd immunity. And so far, is has cost you 500,000 deaths. Also new mutations of the virus are spreading, so the pandemic is FAR from over. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Hans
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:38 PM   #1966
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Yes I have. I'll add a video link for you to hear the same. Further, it's rather presumptuous to claim you can know what someone has or has not heard. Or were you planning an attempt at the million dollar psychic power challenge?
I think that has been cancelled though.
One doesn't need ESP to know that you don't listen to Biden's speeches or press-conferences.
Quote:
You've heard a mendaciously edited youtube video telling you what Biden's said and sucked it up, just as I thought. You people aren't complicated, but you are balls-achingly predictable.
Quote:
For or against? I'd like to know.
He's not intent on banning it, however many times Trump lies that he is. He's not going to subsidise it either. He's not for or against it in principle. He does recognise that it's not going to be around for much longer, as do thinking people generally. The future is not going to run on fossil fuels.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:39 PM   #1967
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed this is true. The price of oil only increased 15% during Biden's first month in office.
What do you see as the connection?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 02:45 PM   #1968
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

From the transcript:

Asking as a foreigner, had the $600 been passed at that point?

Old 23rd February 2021, 03:19 PM   #1969
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
He's not intent on banning it, however many times Trump lies that he is. He's not going to subsidise it either. He's not for or against it in principle. He does recognise that it's not going to be around for much longer, as do thinking people generally. The future is not going to run on fossil fuels.
What does this mean to you? I assure you that fossil fuels is going to power the world for a decades at a minimum. I'm as big a believer in moving to alternative fuels as quickly as possible, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

Here's a sober reminder of that. US December 2020 sales, Tesla is 13th in Mfr unit sales with only Volvo and Jaguar/Land Rover selling fewer vehicles.

Tesla 24,675

GM 296,938
Ford 207,951
Toyota 205,349
FCA (Chrysler) 192,553
Honda 136,467
Hyundai Kia Auto Group 123,152

The demand for energy is growing steadily. And alternative sources like solar are extremely attractive, but we're a long way away from replacing fossil fuels.
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:32 PM   #1970
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Lauren Boebert tweets

@laurenboebert
The lids are back on! Don’t you miss having a President who worked tirelessly?

Quote Tweet
Kelly O'Donnell
@KellyO
White House has called a “lid” for this Sunday so no expected events or public activities by the president.
What's this "lid" she speaks of?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:36 PM   #1971
SezMe
post-pre-born

Really starting to question the wisdom of campaigning on "$2000 immediately" when it's turning out to be neither $2000 or immediate.
Serious political junkies do not take campaign promises to the bank....although they are secure in a wishing well.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:36 PM   #1972
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
What's this "lid" she speaks of?
It's an expression used to mean that press can plan to take the day off because the white house will not be doing any public events or releasing any big news.

Barring some breaking news type event like an emergency or other unplanned event, the press can expect not to have coverage at the white house.
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:41 PM   #1973
SezMe
post-pre-born

ETA: The current handling of the $2000 stimulus only makes me pessimistic for the future of any economic recovery from covid. The $2000 direct payment is truly only a drop in the bucket compared to the massive financial damage wrought by the pandemic. It should be the opening salvo of monthly payments or other more vigorous relief, but I suspect it will be a one-off that signals nothing other than fulfilling a campaign promise.
How do you propose paying for those more generous benefits?
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:52 PM   #1974
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
How do you propose paying for those more generous benefits?
Taxes are one way, debt is another. Reducing spending on other non-essential bloat is also an option. I dont really know enough to really have a strong preference on that, but it's pretty clear that the US has plenty of wealth, it's just that spending on the poor is not a priority.

Other countries generally pay for their more expansive social spending through higher taxes on the wealthier classes. That seems like an obvious first step.
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:28 PM   #1975
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

I know Biden has said he wants taxes on the rich to be higher, but has he said how much higher? My first guess would be that he probably only plans to undo the most recent cut, but what's needed is to undo a few decades of cut after cut after cut after cut after cut.

Other than that, the main source of money we could use to fund everything that's not military would be by shifting money that would otherwise go to the military into anything else instead. Just the annual increase in military spending alone, without even actually reducing the military budget, would still often be more than enough to fund one major "but how will you pay for it" program like free college & student debt cancellation. With any serious level of actual cut to the military budget, we could turn ourselves into the next Swedemark within a year and still be running a surplus. Even a more moderate cut (like 50%) could still accomplish most of the same goals, just less dramatically, while still leaving us with the world's biggest military budget by a substantial margin, easily more than is really needed by a country surrounded by oceans, an ally, and a not-exactly-ally-but-no-threat-either.

Of course, shifting money from the military to somewhere else would require Congress, most of whom have a substantial part of their real salaries paid by military contractors thanks to the not-at-all-Roman-sounding legality of bribery. They not only never vote for a real decrease or even a decrease in the rate of increase, but tend to vote for more military money than they're even asked for.

But some good shifts wouldn't even need the money to leave the DoD. For example, The Corps Of Engineers has worked on civilian infrastructure projects before and could do so again. Of course, shifting more money from other parts of the military to the CoE would probably still require Congress (because the military budget issued by Congress is not a single number but a list of separate amounts for separate projects), but it wouldn't face as much of an obstacle as taking it out of the DoD entirely.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 08:33 PM   #1976
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Quote:
He does recognise that it's not going to be around for much longer, as do thinking people generally. The future is not going to run on fossil fuels.
What does this mean to you? I assure you that fossil fuels is going to power the world for a decades at a minimum. I'm as big a believer in moving to alternative fuels as quickly as possible, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

Here's a sober reminder of that. US December 2020 sales, Tesla is 13th in Mfr unit sales with only Volvo and Jaguar/Land Rover selling fewer vehicles.
Minor point...

I am not denying that fossil fuels will be a major source of energy for years/decades to come.

That said, I'm not sure if looking at Tesla's market share is the best evidence of that, for a couple of reasons:
- Tesla's smaller market share is in part due to its inability to produce enough cars to fulfil demand. (If they were able to build cars faster, they would probably sell more, and their market share would increase)
- Tesla produces electric only, while its major competitors often sell both gas-powered and electric cars (both pure electric and plug-in hybrid).
- Tesla's product line is limited to cars. There are some people who have legitimate needs for other styles of vehicles (such as workmen needing pick-up trucks), and Tesla's cybertruck won't be available until late 2021 at the earliest.

A better measure would be to look at market share for all electric vehicles. In 2020, in Canada, market share for electric vehicles from all manufacturers was around the 4 or 5% range from all manufacturers. Still a small fraction of the market, but a little more encouraging than looking at the 13th place of Tesla.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:16 PM   #1977
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Lauren Boebert tweets

@laurenboebert

Quote Tweet
Kelly O'Donnell
@KellyO
White House has called a “lid” for this Sunday so no expected events or public activities by the president.
Obama? Yup, miss him a lot.
Old 23rd February 2021, 09:35 PM   #1978
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Minor point...
I am not denying that fossil fuels will be a major source of energy for years/decades to come.

That said, I'm not sure if looking at Tesla's market share is the best evidence of that, for a couple of reasons:
- Tesla's smaller market share is in part due to its inability to produce enough cars to fulfil demand. (If they were able to build cars faster, they would probably sell more, and their market share would increase)
- Tesla produces electric only, while its major competitors often sell both gas-powered and electric cars (both pure electric and plug-in hybrid).
- Tesla's product line is limited to cars. There are some people who have legitimate needs for other styles of vehicles (such as workmen needing pick-up trucks), and Tesla's cybertruck won't be available until late 2021 at the earliest.

A better measure would be to look at market share for all electric vehicles. In 2020, in Canada, market share for electric vehicles from all manufacturers was around the 4 or 5% range from all manufacturers. Still a small fraction of the market, but a little more encouraging than looking at the 13th place of Tesla.
I'd hardly say it is a minor point. I'm very hopeful however. But I understand how long it takes to roll out products like this. Toyota and GM appear to be the first real competitors to Tesla and they are still 5 years away from getting 5 percent of their vehicle sales being electric.

I'm really not trying to be a wet blanket on this, I just believe we need to temper our expectations.

At best the percentage of EVs sold in the US was one half of 1 percent. Around 362 thousand vehicles. 53% were Teslas. In comparison Volkswagen alone sold 349 thousand vehicles about 4 tenths of one percent were EVs of one sort.

Yes Tesla is limited by its production, but it also limited by other factors such as their high cost. As long as battery cost remains high EV sales will remain small. But it does appear that inroads are being made at that issue. EVs have a lot of issues preventing their adoption. Solving any of which will lead to major increases in sales.
Old 24th February 2021, 02:07 AM   #1979
KDLarsen
Illuminator

She can't be serious. No POTUS in history kept a lighter schedule than Trump.
She isn't, it's just another attack on President Biden.

Had he worked instead, she would have tweeted about how he was working through the lord's day of rest, and how he wasn't a real christian, etc. etc. etc.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 02:23 AM   #1980
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
She isn't, it's just another attack on President Biden.

Had he worked instead, she would have tweeted about how he was working through the lord's day of rest, and how he wasn't a real christian, etc. etc. etc.
Pretty much how they work... and why a bunch of Republicans find it so easy to believe that Democrats were just doing the same thing to Trump. It's how *they* play the game so obviously it's just how the game is played. Nevermind that a heck of a lot of Democrats would rather puke than play the game that way because of the larger picture.

Last edited by Aridas; 24th February 2021 at 02:25 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 06:26 AM   #1981
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

What does this mean to you? I assure you that fossil fuels is going to power the world for a decades at a minimum.
No doubt, but the subject there was specifically fracking, which I don't think is viable even in the medium term.

Old 24th February 2021, 09:16 AM   #1982
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No doubt, but the subject there was specifically fracking, which I don't think is viable even in the medium term.
It won't be viable if alternative energy cars become more popular. It's really only viable if oil is over about $50 a barrel. As alternatives increase, demand for oil will soften. That will kill fracking before regulation does.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 11:53 AM   #1983
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Fracking is problematic. I think it will continue although greatly diminished.
Old 24th February 2021, 11:55 AM   #1984
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It won't be viable if alternative energy cars become more popular. It's really only viable if oil is over about $50 a barrel. As alternatives increase, demand for oil will soften. That will kill fracking before regulation does.
The problem is that the demand for energy will continue to rise.
Old 24th February 2021, 12:21 PM   #1985
wareyin
Philosopher

Man, I get it, Biden just doesn't stir controversy like Trump did so apart from tempest in a thimble moments we don't have much do discuss. That said, why do we keep talking about electric vehicles or fracking in this thread?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 12:23 PM   #1986
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

The problem is that the demand for energy will continue to rise.
If that's so then the question becomes how will the extra energy be generated : will capital be put into 20th Century technology (19th in the case of coal) or 21st Century? Governments can have some influence on that through their tax and subsidy regimes, and Biden seems more than open to doing that. He's not promising to bring back coal jobs, that's for certain.

Old 24th February 2021, 12:35 PM   #1987
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

If that's so then the question becomes how will the extra energy be generated : will capital be put into 20th Century technology (19th in the case of coal) or 21st Century? Governments can have some influence on that through their tax and subsidy regimes, and Biden seems more than open to doing that. He's not promising to bring back coal jobs, that's for certain.
Coal is dying and the environmental problems it has caused has little to do with it. It is not cost competitive to mine, transport and burn billions of tons of coal any more.

I'm thinking nuclear, solar and energy storage technologies such as gravity storage and flow batteries.
Old 24th February 2021, 12:38 PM   #1988
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Man, I get it, Biden just doesn't stir controversy like Trump did so apart from tempest in a thimble moments we don't have much do discuss. That said, why do we keep talking about electric vehicles or fracking in this thread?
But this has a lot to do with Biden. Biden is pushing for the electrification of government fleets. He banned fracking on public lands.
Old 24th February 2021, 01:04 PM   #1989
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Biden reopening private child prison with record of sexual and physical abuse to hold migrant children.

Quote:
When the Democratic presidential debates were held in Miami back in June 2019, several candidates visited the Homestead Temporary Shelter for Unaccompanied Children, an unlicensed and for-profit detention center that held thousands of migrant children who came to the U.S. without their parents throughout the administrations of presidents Barack Obama and Donald Trump. The shelter became the subject of national scorn because of reports of sexual abuse, negligent hiring practices, overcrowding, and human-rights violations. Some children described crying themselves to sleep at night, worrying they would never be released.
https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/b...ldren-11881926

The Miami-Dade Democratic party has issued a statement urging that the for-profit child prison facility remain closed.

https://twitter.com/MiamiDadeDems/st...47557728706561

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 24th February 2021 at 01:16 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 01:09 PM   #1990
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Is there a link about the reopening?

My first question is, are the same people running it? I wouldn't imagine there's something about the building that makes children get abused there. It would be decisions made by people.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 06:57 PM   #1991
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post

Because it's sooooooo niiiiiiice to be having arguments about policy again, and not, "Was what the "president" said today technically treason?"
Old 24th February 2021, 07:44 PM   #1992
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Is there a link about the reopening?

My first question is, are the same people running it? I wouldn't imagine there's something about the building that makes children get abused there. It would be decisions made by people.
That was my thought. If staffing hasn't changed but there's new policy, then nothing will change. Biden has to put people in charge who firmly subscribe to his policies and goals if we're not to repeat the past.
Old 24th February 2021, 07:55 PM   #1993
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Lauren Boebert tweets

@laurenboebert

Quote Tweet
Kelly O'Donnell
@KellyO
I knooooooooow! (said in best Sybil Fawlty voice). I don't know how he managed to get so much golf done during those rounds of work! As Biden hasn't spend much, if any, time on the golf course since taking office, how in the world can he be getting anything done?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 08:54 PM   #1994
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Biden reopening private child prison with record of sexual and physical abuse to hold migrant children.

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/b...ldren-11881926

The Miami-Dade Democratic party has issued a statement urging that the for-profit child prison facility remain closed.

https://twitter.com/MiamiDadeDems/st...47557728706561
I'm not all the familiar with the situation. That said, this is why governing sucks. Sometimes governing is about the lest bad of bad alternatives. I would be interested in finding out what the alternatives were.

Last edited by Craig4; 24th February 2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old 24th February 2021, 09:19 PM   #1995
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm not all the familiar with the situation. That said, this is why governing sucks. Sometimes governing is about the lest bad of bad alternatives. I would be interested in finding out what the alternatives were.

Yeah, it's not like all the kids Trump detained just disappeared on Jan 20. Biden needs to deal with the reality of what was left to him. That wouldn't be pretty no matter what they did.
Old 24th February 2021, 09:42 PM   #1996
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I knooooooooow! (said in best Sybil Fawlty voice). I don't know how he managed to get so much golf done during those rounds of work! As Biden hasn't spend much, if any, time on the golf course since taking office, how in the world can he be getting anything done?
Oh nonsense! I've heard, and possibly from the same person who said that Trump only wanted to restore the nation's faith in our election system, that Trump never took vacations! Sure, he may have gone golfing two or three times, but one of them was with a foreign leader he was negotiating with, so it counts as work!

This is the kind of no-information voter that forms the core of the GOP. They're not stupid, it's a question of trust. They trust their news sources, the same sources tell them to fear all others (and brown people, and 'the government', and probably the children too) so they don't accept any other sources.
Old 24th February 2021, 10:28 PM   #1997
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Yeah, it's not like all the kids Trump detained just disappeared on Jan 20. Biden needs to deal with the reality of what was left to him. That wouldn't be pretty no matter what they did.

As a follow-up to this, I'll note this story I just saw:

Lawyers have found the parents of 105 separated migrant children in past month

Any attempt to make Biden look like Trump over this issue is entirely partisan ********.
Old 24th February 2021, 10:39 PM   #1998
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Coal is dying and the environmental problems it has caused has little to do with it. It is not cost competitive to mine, transport and burn billions of tons of coal any more.

I'm thinking nuclear, solar and energy storage technologies such as gravity storage and flow batteries.
Probably shouldn't forget wind, as a general matter, when talking about energy sources. At last check, building more wind power is an outright cheaper option now than simply operating coal power plants.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Add to that those who see a bit more hope and don't want to wait any longer, now that the Biden Administration is openly working to make things a bit more humane and efficient than they were under Trump, that the Biden Administration is working on getting backlog that built up under Trump handled, and plenty more.

Tangentially related to the topic, though... Lawyers have found the parents of 105 separated migrant children in past month
The parents of 506 separated migrant children still haven't been found, however. Lawyers say the parents of 322 of them were likely to have been deported.

To poke elsewhere, though... it looks like Biden's soon to nominate 3 people to the Post Office's Board of Governors.

Last edited by Aridas; 24th February 2021 at 10:40 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2021, 11:09 PM   #1999
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Probably shouldn't forget wind, as a general matter, when talking about energy sources. At last check, building more wind power is an outright cheaper option now than simply operating coal power plants.
True. The economics of coal compared to other energy sources is what is killing coal. New coal plants are not being built. What new coal plants that were being built are migrating to natural gas, solar plants or wind. Solar and wind would dominate the energy future if we could cost effectively store electricity. Right now in most locations we are not capable of storing hours of electricity. What we can store is for minutes of peak demand.
Old 25th February 2021, 06:30 AM   #2000
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
White House chief of staff Ron Klain says on MSNBC they are “fighting our guts out” to get Neera Tanden confirmed. If not confirmed, they won’t try to make her acting director, but will put her in a role that doesn’t require Senate confirmation.
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/s...29766134358018

Why?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics