ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:20 PM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Jehovah Witnesses at the door

If I know its them I don't answer the door. SOmetimes before I think I end up talking to them. Basically I'm too kind for my own good. My father used to send them packing.

After a brief conversation with them, I end up with a pamphlet. During my conversation they discussed the so-called end times. Their description of the end sounded a lot like what scientists said happened to Mars.

They asked me this question. Were any people on Mars when that happened? With a straight face, I said no.

These people don't know anything. They are brainwashed.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:31 PM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

If I have time I always answer the door then tell them how awful their god is toward women, just look at the story of Lot...

They're usually quite stunned. They can't answer and stammer a bit. Sometimes they use one of the standard phrases, but sometimes they say they will ask other members in the church.
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:39 PM   #3
Chanakya

I've never actually done this, but wanted to, and who knows I may actually do this one day: Someone pops up wanting to sell me something, insurance, some gizmo, some God, just turn around and give them a sales spiel on some other product, or some other God. That'll learn 'em, right? (Except, what if they're smart, and offer a quid pro quo? Then, unless you actually do have some widget or some God to sell, either they win, or you lose face and retreat.)
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:46 PM   #4
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I say "No thanks" and politely but firmly close the door.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 10:55 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
On one occasion I told the guy I was going to close it very firmly, whether his foot was still in it or not.
Old 2nd December 2019, 11:03 PM   #6
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Brainwashing tactics, using us to do their work. With constant rejection from everyone they meet, and only acceptance from the group....
Old 3rd December 2019, 02:37 AM   #7
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

O welcome them in, offer tea coffee. Two minutes later they are saying, "We really must leave" and get going and never come back.

I am always courteous with them, but most Jehovah's Witnesses feel towards me the way most of the world feels about Jehovah's Witnesses.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:05 AM   #8
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I say "No thanks" and politely but firmly don't even answer the door.
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:07 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Brainwashing tactics, using us to do their work. With constant rejection from everyone they meet, and only acceptance from the group....
...that's actually a good explanation.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

When I lived in Los Angeles, I had a small sign on my front door that said, "Jehovah's Witnesses not welcome."

So they went to the back door. (That's logic, no?) I told them to read the sign on the front, but they "just wanted to talk about Jesus' love for me." FU, Jesus -- how can I respect someone who is illiterate and proud of it?
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:00 AM   #11
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

https://tonyortega.org/jw/
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:04 AM   #12
Myriad
Hyperthetical

My wife's line used to be, "Oh, yes, do come in, you can tell me all about your god and I'll tell you all about mine." In a voice that clearly conveyed she was putting a sweet facade over the most sinister intentions imaginable (she's a very good actress that way). Their reaction is best conveyed metaphorically by those scenes in cartoons where a character's legs start running in place for three seconds before the character whooshes off-screen at blinding speed.
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:32 AM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I prefer Mormons. Any religion that sends naive young men to my door gets bonus points.
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:33 AM   #14
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I prefer Mormons. Any religion that sends naive young men to my door gets bonus points.
There's got to be a film script in there somewhere.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 09:58 AM   #15
sackett
Philosopher

Fortunately, there's a handy little window close by my front door. I can open it and speak directly to whoever's on the stoop. I even have a pleasantly cushioned stool under the window, so I can sit at my ease while engaging with JWs or Mormonists or whatever. Preferably while it's raining.

My record is a full 30 minutes of debate over scriptural literalism, binding of souls, and the Hill Cumora.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:01 AM   #16
Belz...
Fiend God

I've never had them at my door, but if I did I'd probably want to tell them about our lord and saviour Cthulhu.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:03 AM   #17
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

As soon as they announce they're Jehovah's Witlesses, I close the door without saying a word. Rude? Perhaps, but by then I've wasted enough time getting out of my seat and answering the door, so I'm damned if I'm going to waste any more.

When they come round with kids, I've often thought about addressing the child and telling them mummy and daddy would let them die rather than let the doctors make them better with a blood transfusion. Never done it, but been tempted.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:08 AM   #18
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
My wife's line used to be, "Oh, yes, do come in, you can tell me all about your god and I'll tell you all about mine." In a voice that clearly conveyed she was putting a sweet facade over the most sinister intentions imaginable (she's a very good actress that way). Their reaction is best conveyed metaphorically by those scenes in cartoons where a character's legs start running in place for three seconds before the character whooshes off-screen at blinding speed.
An old friend of mine, faced with a religious doorstepping, told them he was a satanist. Similar effect, apparently.
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:20 AM   #19
catsmate
No longer the 1

"I'm sorry but we're Orthodox Whovians".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:02 AM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ian Osborne View Post
As soon as they announce they're Jehovah's Witlesses....
I do that too. I'm also prone to leaving the second "m" out of Mormon.
Old 3rd December 2019, 11:30 AM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
An old friend of mine, faced with a religious doorstepping, told them he was a satanist. Similar effect, apparently.
They ran off when my mom told them (truthfully) that she's Catholic. Apparently JWs really don't like Catholicism.
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:20 PM   #22
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Chanakya View Post
I've never actually done this, but wanted to, and who knows I may actually do this one day: Someone pops up wanting to sell me something, insurance, some gizmo, some God, just turn around and give them a sales spiel on some other product, or some other God. That'll learn 'em, right? (Except, what if they're smart, and offer a quid pro quo? Then, unless you actually do have some widget or some God to sell, either they win, or you lose face and retreat.)
A coworker of mine once said that when some Jehova's witnesses showed up at his door, and offered him literature about their church, he said yes and offered to give them some literature from his church. He said they were quite offended by his offer.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 12:30 PM   #23
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Why should we click on that when you can't even take the time to say what it is?
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:03 PM   #24
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Why should we click on that when you can't even take the time to say what it is?
A watchdog site for Scientology and Jehovah's Witnesses
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:59 PM   #25
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
On one occasion I told the guy I was going to close it very firmly, whether his foot was still in it or not.
Well that's the nice thing. It is standard in Australia for every house to have a fly screen door. You don't need to unlock that in order to see and hear the person outside. No feet in doors.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 04:53 PM   #26
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
They ran off when my mom told them (truthfully) that she's Catholic. Apparently JWs really don't like Catholicism.
That's my wife's approach. She's a very very lapsed Catholic but she can pass for one, so she just says "sorry I'm a devout Catholic," and they skedaddle. I tend just to say "no thanks" in a way that is sufficiently curt to get the message. I used to have a sign on the door, and that actually worked pretty well, just saying "Jehovah's Witnesses and other Evangelists, Don't waste your time."

A favorite story, which I think I've told here before, is a childhood visit from some evangelist quoting Bible passages, whom my mom engaged at the kitchen door. Looking like an easy mark, she was something of a scholar, knew her Bible chapter and verse, and was a pretty good arguer as well, and countered everything he said with memorized passages and contrary interpretations. It was a rout. The end result was that he left, crimson with rage, yelling through his tears that she was a miserable sinner destined for hell. I was about ten and a bystander, and don't remember whether I was counted among the condemned, but it was a glorious moment. It also gave us several years of respite from visiting bible thumpers as I think word got around that that driveway led directly to the gates of hell.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 05:03 PM   #27
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
I have told JWs, as well as other religious proselytizers who come to the door, "Sorry, I'm not superstitious."

They usually don't know quite what to say.

Had a call from someone inviting me to a lecture. I asked the topic.

"Scientology," was the response.

"Oh, that's such BS!" I said—but I didn't use the initials.

Would you believe she hung up on me? Didn't even say goodbye.
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:07 PM   #28
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I just had my first door-buster in quite some time.

I had just settled in to watch a movie. For most people, 6pm is just about the start of dinner time. The doorbell rang, followed by a few pounding knocks. I was close enough to the door, and recently had some business with my neighbor, that I thought I'd answer it. However, I currently have a foot affliction with reduces my walking speed quite a bit. Plus, I had to put something on over my boxer shorts.

Doorbell rang again, followed by more pounding. I thought it might be something important, even an emergency? I had to yell "Yeah, I on the way!" Finally turned the porch light on and opened the door. There is standing a smiling, nice young lady with a clipboard. I slightly opened the outside door and said "Clipboard? No thanks." Shut the door in her face.

There are many sins from my POV here. It always takes me a while to calm down after something like this. I'm a little surprised that people are still going door-to-door in the city at night.
Old 3rd December 2019, 06:43 PM   #29
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Their faith obligates them to evangelize and here various small cults similar to Jw beliefs keep score.
It's brownie points to have brought a person or family into regular worship in your group.

I would suppose that with most of them being 45 or older the only way to keep numbers is to look outside the existing group. Not all have kids and not all kids stay active in the cult.

I took a page from the isf book on dealing with them. They insist that all their beliefs are from the bible, so I ask about the selling my daughter into slavery or killing my disrespectful son as valid options. It is in the sacred bible after all. They dare not speak out against the sacred and offer no response.
One gent didn't even want to expose his book to heathens like me, it was that important his icons not be defiled.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:30 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

A watchdog site for Scientology and Jehovah's Witnesses
And?
Old 3rd December 2019, 07:43 PM   #31
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

And?
It actually looks fairly interesting, though I'm not sure it provides anything new.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:28 PM   #32
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

These missionaries are coached on what to say, depending on how you react to them: they are literally following a script, which is why they seem so brainwashed. None of them are expressing their own opinion, they are just repeating what they've been told to say without reflection.
But it is not hard to get to the limit of the script and get them into trouble ... should you whish to do so.
Old 3rd December 2019, 10:41 PM   #33
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
These missionaries are coached on what to say, depending on how you react to them: they are literally following a script, which is why they seem so brainwashed. None of them are expressing their own opinion, they are just repeating what they've been told to say without reflection.
But it is not hard to get to the limit of the script and get them into trouble ... should you whish to do so.
While you're not wrong, there is more to it than that.

When I was a member of an evangelical church, we were encouraged to share our personal stories about our own journey towards Jesus. Especially if we had it hard before we were "saved". Some of the best (ie, most effective) "witnesses" were people who were homeless or on drugs before being brought to Jesus, because it allowed them to tell how much better their lives were in the church.

That's the script. It's actually more of a formula.

- Randall Munroe
Old 4th December 2019, 06:33 AM   #34
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

And?
And pardon the bluntness, go and bloody if you're interested, it was relevant to the thread of pointless belligerence. I'll stop there and sidestep (hopefully) a mod slap.
Old 4th December 2019, 03:01 PM   #35
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

And?
It's a nice, if long, video of a JW impersonating something from the Muppet Show.

Hans

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy