ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , atheists , clive james , obituaries

Old 5th December 2019, 05:37 AM   #121
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

I think religion is like pareidolia, but instead of faces we see minds as well where none exist. Just as your mind can find faces in the clouds it can find intent behind random happenings.
Old 5th December 2019, 06:17 AM   #122
Apathia
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
I think religion is like pareidolia, but instead of faces we see minds as well where none exist. Just as your mind can find faces in the clouds it can find intent behind random happenings.
"The Fickle Finger of Fate"

"Just my karma, as luck would have it, God intervened."

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 07:38 AM   #123
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
"Religion" is defined by the Oxford Dictionary as: "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. "ideas about the relationship between science and religion".

So, your use of "religion" might be correct at a colloquial level but no more than that. It is a "theism".
Yes, thank you. I'm aware.

I'm trying to get at an idea that I think is important. If I had a better word for it, I'd use that word. I'm talking about something I can best describe as "religious behavior": dogma, persecution, inquisition, schism, etc. With respect to the Oxford Dictionary, I think humans can make a religion out of just about anything. It doesn't have to have a supernatural focus. Communists in the Soviet Union are a good (extreme) example of what I'm talking about. Even without a god, they still found something to worship, and still ended up exhibiting all the horrible excesses of religion. People make a fetish of their beliefs, even when those beliefs don't include gods. I don't have a better word for this than "religion". If you do, it would be helpful to me if you shared it.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 07:47 AM   #124
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I’ve often maintained that UFO, Bigfoot, and various conspiracy-theory believers raise these beliefs to the level of religions.
No evidence to the contrary will be accepted......
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 08:00 AM   #125
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I’ve often maintained that UFO, Bigfoot, and various conspiracy-theory believers raise these beliefs to the level of religions.
No evidence to the contrary will be accepted......
I'd forgotten about the quality of blind faith that characterizes religious behavior, even in the absence of a god.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 02:10 PM   #126
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'd forgotten about the quality of blind faith that characterizes religious behavior, even in the absence of a god.

I'd be interested to learn about this blind faith in the absence of a god idea. There was a hint about this in The Big Dog's whimpering's some time back. He was suggesting the existence of a sort of atheist bible, in the writings of communist leaders. Didn't think much of the idea myself as it was a poor analogy. Communism is not an ideology based on faith but an ideology based on reason - whether you agree with the reasoning or not.
Old 5th December 2019, 04:00 PM   #127
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

theprestige is far from the first person to draw a comparison between communism and religion.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 05:38 PM   #128
Thor 2
Philosopher

This I know. Lack of cognitive ability seems endemic at times.
Old 5th December 2019, 10:49 PM   #129
Tassman
Muse

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Yes, thank you. I'm aware.

I'm trying to get at an idea that I think is important. If I had a better word for it, I'd use that word. I'm talking about something I can best describe as "religious behavior": dogma, persecution, inquisition, schism, etc. With respect to the Oxford Dictionary, I think humans can make a religion out of just about anything. It doesn't have to have a supernatural focus. Communists in the Soviet Union are a good (extreme) example of what I'm talking about. Even without a god, they still found something to worship, and still ended up exhibiting all the horrible excesses of religion. People make a fetish of their beliefs, even when those beliefs don't include gods. I don't have a better word for this than "religion". If you do, it would be helpful to me if you shared it.
It's just not the issue you perceive it to be. I don’t have a non-belief in deities so much as an indifference to the notion of them existing. That’s hardly a religious thing any more than my non-belief in leprechauns or unicorns is a religious belief – colloquial or otherwise.
Old 6th December 2019, 08:55 AM   #130
ahhell
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
theprestige is far from the first person to draw a comparison between communism and religion.
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
This I know. Lack of cognitive ability seems endemic at times.
It certainly does.

It's just not the issue you perceive it to be. I don’t have a non-belief in deities so much as an indifference to the notion of them existing. That’s hardly a religious thing any more than my non-belief in leprechauns or unicorns is a religious belief – colloquial or otherwise.
This is an odd response. Seems like you're saying, religious like fervor for non-supernatural world views isn't a problem at all because you personally don't have religious like fervor.

Edit to add.
Lets remove the idea from the political.

What would you call it when folks devote themselves or adhere to dogmas with religious like fervor when the dogma isn't religuous? Anti-vaxxers, truthers, alt-med supporters, big foot believers, ancient alien/ancient advanced civilization enthusiasts? What is that?

Last edited by ahhell; 6th December 2019 at 09:01 AM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM   #131
Tassman
Muse

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
It certainly does.

This is an odd response. Seems like you're saying, religious like fervor for non-supernatural world views isn't a problem at all because you personally don't have religious like fervor.
No. It's just not an either/or thing. I'm indifferent to religion.

Quote:
What would you call it when folks devote themselves or adhere to dogmas with religious like fervor when the dogma isn't religuous? Anti-vaxxers, truthers, alt-med supporters, big foot believers, ancient alien/ancient advanced civilization enthusiasts? What is that?
Ill-informed fanaticism.
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #132
Thor 2
Philosopher

No. It's just not an either/or thing. I'm indifferent to religion.

Well that's good in a way but maybe hard to maintain that indifference, when the religious are screwing things up for you, people you care about, and the planet we call home.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM   #133
Tassman
Muse

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Well that's good in a way but maybe hard to maintain that indifference, when the religious are screwing things up for you, people you care about, and the planet we call home.
Oh, indeed! I'm indifferent to 'religion' as a concept, NOT indifferent to religionists trying to impose their fiction-based values on the rest of us.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy