ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th December 2019, 02:52 PM   #1
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

George Zimmerman to sue Trayvon Martin's family et al

Would have posted this in another thread, but there are so many on GZ.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...238030539.html

Quote:
George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer acquitted of homicide charges in the 2012 fatal shooting of unarmed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford, is suing Martin’s family, prosecutors and others involved in the case he claims rested on false evidence, according to a copy of the suit sent to the media Wednesday.
Classy.

ETA: Sorry, title should read "Trayvon Martin's family et al". If a kind mod could adjust that, would be so grateful.

Last edited by commandlinegamer; 4th December 2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Title
commandlinegamer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 03:00 PM   #2
Mumbles
Philosopher

Saw it, the standard reaction is "why isn't Zimmerman dead yet?"

My assumption is that Larry Klayman, or some other such sleazy lawyer, is involved and bilking him for fees. In normal cases, I'd have some slight sympathy, but in this one it's only for the people whose son he murdered, and likely the other people he's harrassed, abused, etc' before and since, for having to waste time and possibly money on his continued nonsense.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 04:20 PM   #3
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Is this meant to mean why hasn't he been murdered yet?
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 05:06 PM   #4
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I guess there must have been a Go Fund Me for the Martin family? Zimmerman's lawyer has to have a target to file a suit.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2019, 06:09 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My assumption is that Larry Klayman, or some other such sleazy lawyer, is involved and bilking him for fees. In normal cases, I'd have some slight sympathy, but in this one it's only for the people whose son he murdered, and likely the other people he's harrassed, abused, etc' before and since, for having to waste time and possibly money on his continued nonsense.
You called it, it's Klayman. From my point of view, Zimmerman couldn't have picked a better lawyer. He's lost pretty much every suit he ever filed. Including when he sued his own mother.
Old 4th December 2019, 07:16 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The NAACP ought to chip in with a pro-bono lawyer, and help the Martins counter-sue Zimmerman for the wrongful death of their son (al la the Browns and the Goldmans v OJ Simpson)

Last edited by smartcooky; 4th December 2019 at 07:21 PM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:22 AM   #7
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
The NAACP ought to chip in with a pro-bono lawyer, and help the Martins counter-sue Zimmerman for the wrongful death of their son (al la the Browns and the Goldmans v OJ Simpson)
I wonder that Martin's parents didn't file a civil suit previously. Then found out they did, but that that was against the homeowners' association where the killing took place.
Old 5th December 2019, 04:21 AM   #8
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Yep Klayman is in it.

"Zimmerman and his lawyer, the controversial attorney Larry Klayman, allege that Rachel Jeantel, a key witness for the prosecution who testified about being on the phone with Martin just before the shooting, was an impostor. They accuse her of standing in for another teenager, Brittany Diamond Eugene, whom the suit describes as Jeantel's half sister who did not want to testify in the case."

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/04/78484...an-100-million
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 04:23 AM   #9
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Can they? Florida has some weird laws about not suing people for shootings that are not convicted. So stand your ground makes you immune to civil suits.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 05:46 AM   #10
rockysmith76
Critical Thinker

This may well help speed that along. Talk about gall.
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 06:28 AM   #11
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Martin's family sued the HOA that Zimmerman was patrolling for and they settled for a cash payout of undisclosed amount for the wrongful death.

The family had a lawyer and made the choice not to sue Zimmerman. Not sure what the reasoning is. May have to do with the fact that Zimmerman likely does not have many assets or much income potential, which is why you see him working the racist gun nut circuit and cashing in on his celebrity as a right wing hero. His life seemed to have been circling the drain after the trial.

Zimmerman could offer a lawful self defense claim to any civil suit, and if successful, that could result in Martin's family having to pay his legal costs. It wouldn't be automatic and I'm not really sure how likely that outcome would be. He was acquitted for criminal liability, but the standards of proof are different for civil cases.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 5th December 2019 at 06:30 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 06:40 AM   #12
Matthew Best
Philosopher

And Zimmerman auctioned off the gun he used to kill Trayvon Martin for $138,000.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 06:56 AM   #13
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
Is this meant to mean why hasn't he been murdered yet?
Yes.

literally, people want to know why he hasn't been shot dead. He was the figurehead of white nationalism for years, right up until Dolt 45 ran for office.

Hey, that's what's known when your claim to fame is chasing and shooting an unarmed teegager.

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
You called it, it's Klayman. From my point of view, Zimmerman couldn't have picked a better lawyer. He's lost pretty much every suit he ever filed. Including when he sued his own mother.
Makes sense, doesn't it? The lawsuit is clearly not going anywhere.* see no basis for this domestic abusing murderer to sue anything, never mind the parents of the kid he murdered.

Klayman, though, can take all kinds of money. And before anyone says it, no he does now represent Klayman's a scumbag, the end.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 07:01 AM   #14
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes.

literally, people want to know why he hasn't been shot dead. He was the figurehead of white nationalism for years, right up until Dolt 45 ran for office.

Hey, that's what's known when your claim to fame is chasing and shooting an unarmed teegager.
Because, sadly, shooting an unarmed black teenager doesn't exactly make him stand out all that much.

In the abstract no matter how guilty I personally feel the person in question is I've never been 100% comfortable with any version of the "Okay the court system found him not guilty so we have find some other way to 'get' him."

I didn't like the whole OJ thing (Yeah I am one of those people who think the civil case was, in spirit not letter, a case of double jeopardy and you don't get much more guilty then literally writing a book about how you got away with it) and as much as it sickens me I kind of have to feel the same way about Zimmerman. The system didn't work, that happens. We need (desperately) to fix the system, but we can't go back and subvert the system in this one case without breaking it more.

That being said when that waste of humanity slips in the shower I won't shed any tears.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 07:54 AM   #15
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yep Klayman is in it.

"Zimmerman and his lawyer, the controversial attorney Larry Klayman, allege that Rachel Jeantel, a key witness for the prosecution who testified about being on the phone with Martin just before the shooting, was an impostor. They accuse her of standing in for another teenager, Brittany Diamond Eugene, whom the suit describes as Jeantel's half sister who did not want to testify in the case."

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/04/78484...an-100-million
Interesting "fact". Any evidence that it is true? And if so, why did it take all these years to surface?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 08:35 AM   #16
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Interesting "fact". Any evidence that it is true? And if so, why did it take all these years to surface?
Not really worth looking into. Klayman is a serial frivolous litigator. It's pretty safe to assume any legal action he takes is a bad faith abuse of the legal system intended to generate headlines for right wing tabloids.
Old 5th December 2019, 09:02 AM   #17
wasapi
Philosopher

More reasons to wish this man would vanish. Forever. How dare this Narcasstic piece of waste to do this to the family.
Old 5th December 2019, 11:27 AM   #18
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
More reasons to wish this man would vanish. Forever. How dare this Narcasstic piece of waste to do this to the family.
Zimmerman or Klayman? Never mind, the answer is yes.
Old 5th December 2019, 12:03 PM   #19
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

BBC pioece on the case

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50671843

Seems there is a forthcoming documentary titled the "Trayvon Hoax" that claims Rachel Jeantel was an impostor.

Looks like the case is designed to tie in with that and raise somer publicity.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:22 PM   #20
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Because, sadly, shooting an unarmed black teenager doesn't exactly make him stand out all that much.

In the abstract no matter how guilty I personally feel the person in question is I've never been 100% comfortable with any version of the "Okay the court system found him not guilty so we have find some other way to 'get' him."

I didn't like the whole OJ thing (Yeah I am one of those people who think the civil case was, in spirit not letter, a case of double jeopardy and you don't get much more guilty then literally writing a book about how you got away with it) and as much as it sickens me I kind of have to feel the same way about Zimmerman. The system didn't work, that happens. We need (desperately) to fix the system, but we can't go back and subvert the system in this one case without breaking it more.

That being said when that waste of humanity slips in the shower I won't shed any tears.
This is kind of a weird take to me. You're ok with the system failing people, (yes, I understand you said it needs to be fixed) but you're not ok with the people who have been wronged to have a way to fight back? I don't get it. Then again, there's a lot of things I don't get.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:43 PM   #21
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
This is kind of a weird take to me. You're ok with the system failing people, (yes, I understand you said it needs to be fixed) but you're not ok with the people who have been wronged to have a way to fight back? I don't get it. Then again, there's a lot of things I don't get.
Or simply change the standard of decision in tort cases away from preponderance of the evidence to beyond a reasonable doubt. That will accomplish serious tort reform.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:44 PM   #22
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Because he is, technically speaking, innocent on a legal level and that has to mean something or the system isn't worth saving or fixing.

Anything we let be done to Zimmerman is a legal precedent to be done to someone who didn't actual commit the crime just based on the fact that the victim's family still thinks they did it.

We can't have different standards for "People who are found not guilty" and "People who are found not guilty but come on they obviously did it."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 02:10 PM   #23
plague311
Great minds think...

Because he is, technically speaking, innocent on a legal level and that has to mean something or the system isn't worth saving or fixing.
No, he was found innocent on a criminal charge. Civil =! Criminal. They're two separate things with two separate standards that have two separate outcomes.

Anything we let be done to Zimmerman is a legal precedent to be done to someone who didn't actual commit the crime just based on the fact that the victim's family still thinks they did it.
Again, no. It's setting a legal precedent that someone who hasn't been convicted of a crime can still be held fiscally responsible. If it's just the victim's family who still thinks he did it then he has nothing to worry about. The family doesn't convict, or set the penalty. Either a judge or jury will do that.

We can't have different standards for "People who are found not guilty" and "People who are found not guilty but come on they obviously did it."
Yes, we literally can. That's why there are civil and criminal courts.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 03:26 PM   #24
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

That already happened with OJ Simpson. Suing Zimmerman wouldn't set a precedent, it's already been set.

But this really boils down to the accusations about Rachel Jeantel being an imposter. If she is, and if any of the defendants knew, then it seems like Zimmerman deserves to win. If she isn't, Zimmerman has no case and deserves to lose. At this point, I have no real knowledge of the merits of the accusation. If true, it seems strange that it would take this long to uncover the conspiracy. If false, it seems strange that Zimmerman's lawyer would pursue a lawsuit on that basis. So it's strange no matter what. And since I have no personal stake in the outcome, I'll simply wait and see.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 04:08 PM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That already happened with OJ Simpson. Suing Zimmerman wouldn't set a precedent, it's already been set.

But this really boils down to the accusations about Rachel Jeantel being an imposter. If she is, and if any of the defendants knew, then it seems like Zimmerman deserves to win. If she isn't, Zimmerman has no case and deserves to lose. At this point, I have no real knowledge of the merits of the accusation. If true, it seems strange that it would take this long to uncover the conspiracy. If false, it seems strange that Zimmerman's lawyer would pursue a lawsuit on that basis. So it's strange no matter what. And since I have no personal stake in the outcome, I'll simply wait and see.
If true, the delay will probably be explained by new information having come to light only recently. Also, Zimmerman is kind of a jackass who's made a lot of stupid life choices. It won't be much of a surprise if it turns out he could have brought this suit years ago, but he didn't have his act together.

Last edited by theprestige; 5th December 2019 at 04:12 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 04:21 PM   #26
KDLarsen
Illuminator

It's yet another lawsuit by GIL (Grossly Inappropriate Larry, since he was found to have.. “act[ed] in a grossly inappropriate manner with the children.” Klayman v. Luck, Case Nos. 97974, 97075, 2012-Ohio-3354, ¶ 25 (Ohio App. 8th Dist. Jul. 26, 2012), intended to draw attention to something else.

Edit: the full citation from Klayman v. Luck
Quote:
on more than one occasion [Klayman] act[ed] in a grossly inappropriate manner with the children. His conduct may not have been sexual in the sense that he intended to or did derive any sexual pleasure from it or that he intended his children would. That, however, does not mean that he did not engage in those acts or that his behavior was proper.
Quite a charmer that GIL.

Last edited by KDLarsen; 5th December 2019 at 04:22 PM.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 04:37 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
It's yet another lawsuit by GIL (Grossly Inappropriate Larry, since he was found to have.. “act[ed] in a grossly inappropriate manner with the children.” Klayman v. Luck, Case Nos. 97974, 97075, 2012-Ohio-3354, ¶ 25 (Ohio App. 8th Dist. Jul. 26, 2012), intended to draw attention to something else.

Edit: the full citation from Klayman v. Luck

Quite a charmer that GIL.
Quite the ad hominem. Let's try to stay on topic.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 04:48 PM   #28
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

So far - I'm betting that the merits of the accusation rest on pretty flimsy ground.
The person who wrote the book that purportedly provides the evidence that Rachel Jeantel was an imposter is Joel Gilbert. As per NBC website:

Gilbert is a frequent InfoWars guest who has produced movies that have falsely claimed that former President Barack Obama's real father was a Chicago communist, that Paul McCartney is dead and Elvis Presley is alive.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 05:03 PM   #29
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Idiot right-wing attorney represents trigger happy idiot client.

If they'd hold hands and jump into the nearest body of water it would be a tread day for the Republic.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 05:03 PM   #30
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Klayman is a rabid Birther. Really second only to Taitz in frivolous Birther lawsuits. Pretty sure any theory he comes up with is laughable.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 05:28 PM   #31
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I would have thought the cops would have checked Trayvon's phone log to see who he was talking to. Is the claim going to be "he dialed HER number, but I picked up" ?
Old 5th December 2019, 05:34 PM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I would have thought the cops would have checked Trayvon's phone log to see who he was talking to. Is the claim going to be "he dialed HER number, but I picked up" ?
Maybe this is addressed in the text of the lawsuit. I don't know.

What I do know is that this is going to be a **** show no matter what. I have no dog in this at all. Just some popcorn and some patience while it all plays out.
Old 5th December 2019, 07:55 PM   #33
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Maybe this is addressed in the text of the lawsuit. I don't know.

What I do know is that this is going to be a **** show no matter what. I have no dog in this at all. Just some popcorn and some patience while it all plays out.
I guess it might seem like a show if you ignore there are real people invoked for whom it will be a costly and very emotional trauma...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 12:28 AM   #34
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I guess it might seem like a show if you ignore there are real people invoked for whom it will be a costly and very emotional trauma...
There will probably always be people who see the suffering of others they don't care about as little more than entertainment.

I believe it was one of George Carlin's bitter and misanthropic screeds disguised as "comedy routines" that most famously gave them free permission to do so proudly. But even at that time it wasn't an original idea.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 01:38 AM   #35
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Idiot right-wing attorney represents trigger happy idiot client....
... based on the fantasist writings of a conspiracy theorist nutjob.

What could possibly go wrong?
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2019, 05:02 PM   #36
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Idiot right-wing attorney represents trigger happy idiot client.
Gee, for just a second there I thought you were talking about a cop.
Old 6th December 2019, 05:10 PM   #37
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I take it for granted that everyone commenting on Zimmerman on this forum is doing so out of prurient interest.
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM   #38
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Something conservatives in general are experts at doing.

With any luck, Zimmerman and his idiot lawyer will not only get their frivolous suit thrown out; but get slapped with a great big contempt charge as well.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events