ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th December 2019, 04:53 PM   #81
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

As someone down the thread notes, one of the funny things is that none of the fancifully placed ones are plugged in.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM   #82
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
As someone down the thread notes, one of the funny things is that none of the fancifully placed ones are plugged in.
Considering the amount of energy the riders supposedly put into them, they shouldn't need to be. Just charge a battery! Or feed all that power back into the grid!

The fitness room in my homeowners association has a different brand of one with a screen. It proclaims itself a hybrid. When I get done riding, it says that I have saved enough power to run a lightbulb for six minutes. The older one, without the TV built in, isn't connected to the wall at all, just has a battery for the led's. Which is better?
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM   #83
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Considering the amount of energy the riders supposedly put into them, they shouldn't need to be. Just charge a battery! Or feed all that power back into the grid!

The fitness room in my homeowners association has a different brand of one with a screen. It proclaims itself a hybrid. When I get done riding, it says that I have saved enough power to run a lightbulb for six minutes. The older one, without the TV built in, isn't connected to the wall at all, just has a battery for the led's. Which is better?
I like the idea of one that works only when you're pedaling, and shuts down if you get lazy. Besides, the one that just reports your power output can be pretty discouraging.

At various points I've toyed with the idea of setting up an exercise bike with a generator that puts some useful work in for the effort, but haven't bothered, because even the most vigorous road cycling puts out a pathetic amount of wattage.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #84
Nakani
Muse

Why would you assume the husband thinks the wife has fat he finds unattractive? Fat fat fat, horrible ugly fat, it's hardwired into the brain, the people criticizing this ad should remember there are other reasons to exercise. I want my wife to exercise so she can be healthy, so her heart is strong, I want her to have the energy to live her life to the fullest for many years to come.
Nakani is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM   #85
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Cue British posters collapsing with laughter.
Spot on.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM   #86
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

"The Gift That Doesn't Give Back" from the Ryan Reynolds channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2t7lknrK28
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #87
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nakani View Post
Why would you assume the husband thinks the wife has fat he finds unattractive? Fat fat fat, horrible ugly fat, it's hardwired into the brain, the people criticizing this ad should remember there are other reasons to exercise. I want my wife to exercise so she can be healthy, so her heart is strong, I want her to have the energy to live her life to the fullest for many years to come.
That's a fine goal. Most reasonable people would consider it worthwhile to determine the degree to which some exercise program would produce that benefit, tempered by the degree to which some exercise program would be found acceptable, and then to talk it over. Again, this whole silliness would be disarmed if the woman in the ad had given even a hint that she wanted that bike, or any bike in the first place. If I did this for my wife, she'd be insulted and infuriated, and rightly so, and not the least because she knows damned well that exercise is important, and I know damned well that she'd much rather swim.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM   #88
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

That's a fine goal. Most reasonable people would consider it worthwhile to determine the degree to which some exercise program would produce that benefit, tempered by the degree to which some exercise program would be found acceptable, and then to talk it over. Again, this whole silliness would be disarmed if the woman in the ad had given even a hint that she wanted that bike, or any bike in the first place. If I did this for my wife, she'd be insulted and infuriated, and rightly so, and not the least because she knows damned well that exercise is important, and I know damned well that she'd much rather swim.
I thought that it was plenty when the wife went "*Gasp* A Peloton!" and then the next scene is her smiling and saying the is excited about it. If a commercial had the same setup with a Buick, we wouldn't say they needed to show she was looking for a new car.

The silliness is people projecting, and body-shaming people for their eyebrows .

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; Yesterday at 03:28 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM   #89
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

So Ryan Reynolds has decided to take advantage of Peleton by using that actress in a commercial of his own, for his Aviation Gin.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Well played, Ryan, well played.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #90
Nakani
Muse

That's a fine goal. Most reasonable people would consider it worthwhile to determine the degree to which some exercise program would produce that benefit, tempered by the degree to which some exercise program would be found acceptable, and then to talk it over.
That is because we don't live in a commercial, where life is all about suprising someone with something they will love. If they market it as a huge investment that must be discussed with your partner, it won't sell. If it is seen as something you can just buy as a gift, you will get the people who will carefully consider this investment, and the poor fool who doesn't know what to get their significant other.

Quote:
Again, this whole silliness would be disarmed if the woman in the ad had given even a hint that she wanted that bike, or any bike in the first place.
It's an ad, not a movie. The whole thing would be avoided if people didn't determine beauty by the amount of fat they have. Whomever is outraged at the husband for buying this machine for his wife is part of the problem, not the solution.
"Ooh, this skinny person is already beautiful, she's not a ugly fatty, wtf is wrong with her husband?" Real woke.

Quote:
If I did this for my wife, she'd be insulted and infuriated, and rightly so, and not the least because she knows damned well that exercise is important, and I know damned well that she'd much rather swim.
What if it was one of those swimming pools where you swim against the current.?
Nakani is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #91
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Nakani View Post
That is because we don't live in a commercial, where life is all about suprising someone with something they will love. If they market it as a huge investment that must be discussed with your partner, it won't sell. If it is seen as something you can just buy as a gift, you will get the people who will carefully consider this investment, and the poor fool who doesn't know what to get their significant other.
Sure, there are all sorts of ways to interpret what we see in the ad, but I'm talking about how the ad itself might have been made more successful. It would take little more than a couple of words to indicate she wanted a bike and is perhaps surprised she got such a nice one. If she had done as little as to react to the gift with something like "How did you know,"or "It's just what I wanted," the whole tone of the rest would change.
Quote:

It's an ad, not a movie. The whole thing would be avoided if people didn't determine beauty by the amount of fat they have. Who[overstrike]m[/overstrike]ever is outraged at the husband for buying this machine for his wife is part of the problem, not the solution.
"Ooh, this skinny person is already beautiful, she's not a ugly fatty, wtf is wrong with her husband?" Real woke.
I rather disagree, because there are, as I've mentioned, many reasons why a person might want to do that exercise. She's obviously not fat, but maybe she's out of shape, depressed, wants to train for triathlons, exactly why not important. But as it stands, the ad implies that he is not reacting to her reasons but imposing his own. Yes, it's an ad, and if it's ambiguous enough to make people look at it that way, then it's a bad one.
Quote:

What if it was one of those swimming pools where you swim against the current.?
If we had the room, she'd love it. So would I. I like to swim too, though I do little since I suffered a bad shoulder injury, and our gym setup is not conducive to both riding and swimming a little, so I ride while she swims. But I'd talk it over first anyway, as we would any big decision. e.t.a. in fact we've even speculated in the past about whether we could manage to fit one in. The upshot was, since we live in a smallish old farmhouse and addition is not really practical, that it's not a viable idea.

For those interested in the idea, at least one version of this is called an "endless pool," and basically one swims against a constant current, tethered if need be, I think. The small volume makes it fairly practical, where a pool of a useful length for laps is not.

Last edited by bruto; Yesterday at 10:01 PM.
Old Today, 02:34 AM   #92
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The ad seems to have been remarkably successfully.
Old Today, 03:02 AM   #93
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think the funny aspect of this is how so many people project elaborate motivations and imagined narratives onto characters in a commercial and people who make advertisements.
You're overlooking the fact that a lot of advertising is specifically intended to present elaborate narratives that are supposed to appeal to potential customers, and a lot of thought goes into them, but sometimes it goes wrong in the way that the advertisers don't anticipate. This has always happened, even if the reactions can be quicker these days. There are endless historic examples of campaigns which bombed to a degree that the product took a severe hit.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:18 AM   #94
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
They have had other commercials for their product.

The one I remember featured several users and focused on the features of the bike, rather than trying to put a 'story' behind it.
Yeah, although it's still a bit wanky, this is the only commercial I've seen - or a shortened version that doesn't have the cutaways - and it seems miles ahead of the controversial one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVMG7lzRvuE
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events