ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #3121
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
It's time to stop defending an old, white billionaire and his use of racist dog whistle language just because he's a Democrat. You're part of the problem.

And you support Trump?
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #3122
DallasDad
Muse

"Well-spoken" is generally a compliment. In historical context, however, it can be a very back-handed compliment when used to describe a black person. The implication is that the person is "well-spoken, considering that he's black." I doubt Bloomberg was aware of the subtext.

Similarly, one cannot use "articulate" or a host of other descriptors, whether or not the speaker intends to be demeaning. The message heard is not always the message sent. Locutions become necessary. For example, "I've seldom heard anyone defend a thesis as clearly and as cogently as X did." This makes it clear the the playing field includes all, regardless of race.

Silly, but unavoidable if one wants to ensure not giving offense while trying to offer a compliment.
DallasDad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #3123
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Well, other than where you talked about how it wouldn't affect your mom's vote.
Yes, you were clever to introduce this distraction, and people did fall for it. Well played. I'm serious.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM   #3124
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Cory Booker disagrees.
Booker is using this for the same reason you are; it fits his agenda. It gives him something to criticize a political opponent for. Claiming that someone is articulate is always a dog whistle for racism is ridiculous. Booker IS articulate. Obama IS articulate. I voted twice for Obama and two of the things I admired most about him were his intelligence and the way he could express himself with so much class. Saying so is not racist unless one means it to be so and I seriously doubt Bloomberg meant it as such. Sometimes a banana is just a banana and, in this case, it was just a damn banana.

You lied about what Bloomberg said; he never said "for a black person". That was all you.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #3125
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DallasDad View Post
"Well-spoken" is generally a compliment. In historical context, however, it can be a very back-handed compliment when used to describe a black person. The implication is that the person is "well-spoken, considering that he's black." I doubt Bloomberg was aware of the subtext.

Similarly, one cannot use "articulate" or a host of other descriptors, whether or not the speaker intends to be demeaning. The message heard is not always the message sent. Locutions become necessary. For example, "I've seldom heard anyone defend a thesis as clearly and as cogently as X did." This makes it clear the the playing field includes all, regardless of race.

Silly, but unavoidable if one wants to ensure not giving offense while trying to offer a compliment.
Sometimes people see things that aren't there because it's what they want to see.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM   #3126
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

And you support Trump?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #3127
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Bloomberg is possibly planning on a third-party run.

What the hell is he even doing this late in the game? Waste of millions of dollars just because he can.

Bloomberg is irrelevant.
Bloomberg is running an extremely effective single-issue campaign. His run is incontrovertible proof we should tax the bejeesus out of the ultra rich.
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM   #3128
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Bloomberg is running an extremely effective single-issue campaign. His run is incontrovertible proof we should tax the bejeesus out of the ultra rich.
No...wait....then I'll lose all that trickle down money!
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #3129
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Booker is using this for the same reason you are; it fits his agenda. It gives him something to criticize a political opponent for. Claiming that someone is articulate is always a dog whistle for racism is ridiculous. Booker IS articulate. Obama IS articulate. I voted twice for Obama and two of the things I admired most about him were his intelligence and the way he could express himself with so much class. Saying so is not racist unless one means it to be so and I seriously doubt Bloomberg meant it as such. Sometimes a banana is just a banana and, in this case, it was just a damn banana.

You lied about what Bloomberg said; he never said "for a black person". That was all you.

You must not be aware of the left-wing's new rules.

It matters not what Michael Bloomberg meant when he said what he said. All that matters is a historically oppressed minority perceived the words as racism, therefore they are racist.

Now, enough with your white supremacy apologetics and just admit that Michael Bloomberg is a racist.
Bogative is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM   #3130
Stacyhs
Philosopher

It matters not what Michael Bloomberg meant when he said what he said. All that matters is a historically oppressed minority perceived the words as racism, therefore they are racist.

Now, enough with your white supremacy apologetics and just admit that Michael Bloomberg is a racist.
After reading the above, luchog's post makes even more sense:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
This is why I have so many of the conservatrolls and contrarians here on ignore; and why it annoys the crap out of me to see how many people continue to still engage with them, drowning so many potentially useful discussions in noise and making the overwhelming majority of this forum little more than a sounding board for reactionaries.

Unfortunately, too many people on the left are far too eager to let the right drive the conversation and set the tone. And public debate is inherently allowing them to drive the conversation and set the tone.
Buh-bye!
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM   #3131
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The left wing's rules? You're telling us what those are?

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #3132
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The point that many descendants of slaves may also be the descendants of slave-owners due to rape did not occur to me at the time, because it is not the case with either Harris or Obama (at least not as far as I know).
Where do you think African-American people born in 19th century Jamaica originally came from and on what sort of ships?
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #3133
angrysoba
Philosophile

Cory Booker disagrees.

It's time to stop defending an old, white billionaire and his use of racist dog whistle language just because he's a Democrat. You're part of the problem.

You are trying to do two contradictory things at once:

You want to denounce “the new rules” of seeing offensive speech everywhere and whine because your opponents are not conforming to the stereotype that you denounce.

The obvious conclusion is your faux outrage is faux. Especially when you are more than likely to enthusiastically line up to vote for the racist’s choice for President.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #3134
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

And you support Trump?
I don't mind saying that was a slam-dunk.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #3135
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Where do you think African-American people born in 19th century Jamaica originally came from and on what sort of ships?
African-Americans in 19th century Jamaica? Are you sure? Sort of missing the American part, right?

I'll admit that I don't know a lot about the topic, though. Are all blacks in North and South America either descended from slaves or more recent immigrants?

Last edited by Brainster; Yesterday at 10:23 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:22 AM   #3136
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Wow. Warren actually called out another candidate's actions specifically. Specifically, she called on Buttigieg to stop with the private closed door fundraisers - to be transparent about what's being said and where money's coming from. To be clear, this didn't sound like an actual attack on Buttigieg so much as a specific application of her more general call for transparency that's pretty much required for the anti-corruption efforts that are central to what she's been pushing for.

Last edited by Aridas; Today at 02:29 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:24 AM   #3137
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Double post.

Last edited by Aridas; Today at 02:29 AM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:30 AM   #3138
SezMe
post-pre-born

Here's the first paragraph from a WaPo article:
Quote:
After two weeks in the presidential race, Mike Bloomberg now employs one of the largest campaign staff rosters, has spent more money on ads than all the top-polling Democrats combined and is simultaneously building out ground operations in 27 states.
I find those stats quite amazing.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:33 AM   #3139
SezMe
post-pre-born

Dup.

Last edited by SezMe; Today at 08:34 AM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:37 AM   #3140
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Buh-bye!
Instead of bye-bye, how about see you later? Later on after Democratic primary voters kick all their at-risk candidates to the curb and nominate an old, rich white person.
Bogative is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:42 AM   #3141
Bogative
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
You are trying to do two contradictory things at once:

You want to denounce “the new rules” of seeing offensive speech everywhere and whine because your opponents are not conforming to the stereotype that you denounce. playing by the rules they created and forced upon their ideological opponents.
I corrected your obvious error.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics