ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2018, 05:42 AM   #1
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Willow Creek: Church leaders quit over sexual misconduct scandal

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45125602

Looks like he had busy hands, and more.

I thought and absolute moral standard and such was supposed to help prevent this kind of thing. Of course I am an evil atheist with no such absolute standard so what do I know.
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 06:13 AM   #2
Myles
New Blood

Did he do anything that nobody else in the bible ever did?
Myles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Was reading about this over the weekend and I'd say he consciously knew what he was doing and he manipulated events and people to have such access. So it's not a case of a "weak man" in a single transitory moment succumbing to temptation. He's an abusive, manipulative, hypocritical creep.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:37 AM   #4
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Was reading about this over the weekend and I'd say he consciously knew what he was doing and he manipulated events and people to have such access. So it's not a case of a "weak man" in a single transitory moment succumbing to temptation. He's an abusive, manipulative, hypocritical creep.
Agreed. The more mega a mega-church becomes, the more I think it departs from ideals of personal accountability and charity that I see in my religious friends in more intimate congregations and more forthright manifestations. I see mega-churches largely as money-making organization and cash cows for their charismatic leadership and stakeholders. The "I'm above the law" mindset seems more prevalent in those circumstances, whether it's God's law or government's law.

As I've said in other threads, here in Utah the Mormon church is also dealing with its #MeToo fallout. There are lawsuits and discussions happening over misconduct from lay church leaders in their contact with churchgoers, and further scrutiny over the behavior of supervisory leadership. From the small sample size I can observe directly I see a spectrum of attitudes ranging from convincing contrition to a profound sense of entitlement. The prevailing attitude along the median seems to mimic the response of the Catholics -- just sweep it under the carpet, quietly reassign the affected clergy, and don't involve government.

Last edited by JayUtah; 9th August 2018 at 09:38 AM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 10:07 AM   #5
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

This "community church" is about a mile from my front door.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowHHoECAoQCQ

The catholics got nothin' on these folks.
It is urgent for Americans to think and speak clearly about President Trumpís inability to do either. This seems to be not a mere disinclination but a disability. It is not merely the result of intellectual sloth but of an untrained mind bereft of information and married to stratospheric self-confidence.

George F. Will
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 04:08 PM   #6
The Sparrow
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
This "community church" is about a mile from my front door.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...oiowHHoECAoQCQ

The catholics got nothin' on these folks.
Holy ****. What did THAT place cost?!?!
The Sparrow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 05:23 PM   #7
Pooneil
Thinker

I drive by Houston's oft criticized mega Lakewood Church regularly. The home of Joel Osteen Ministries corporate office.

It is in a former basketball arena and concert hall that used to seat up to 18,000 when it was known as The Summit. I was in there a few months ago and I swear there were still traces of pot smoke in the air leftover from the Grateful Dead concert.
Pooneil is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 08:31 PM   #8
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
$80 million, +/-. The campus is on 155 acres of very $$$$$ South Barrington real estate.
It is urgent for Americans to think and speak clearly about President Trumpís inability to do either. This seems to be not a mere disinclination but a disability. It is not merely the result of intellectual sloth but of an untrained mind bereft of information and married to stratospheric self-confidence.

George F. Will
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 08:48 PM   #9
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Agreed. The more mega a mega-church becomes, the more I think it departs from ideals of personal accountability and charity....
It's the money, it corrupts.
Old 9th August 2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Sparrow View Post
And in the images the seats are full.

I'm tellin' ya, it's the money. These Evangelical churches put on these huge productions drawing the cult members in. And the cult members give even more money.
Old 9th August 2018, 11:27 PM   #11
Venom
Graduate Poster

I remember this church as the place where William Lane Craig and Frank Zindler had their debate.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 12:01 PM   #12
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Pooneil View Post
I drive by Houston's oft criticized mega Lakewood Church regularly. The home of Joel Osteen Ministries corporate office.

It is in a former basketball arena and concert hall that used to seat up to 18,000 when it was known as The Summit. I was in there a few months ago and I swear there were still traces of pot smoke in the air leftover from the Grateful Dead concert.
I remember the first concert I went to there after the smoking ban. It was so weird.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy