ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old Today, 12:15 AM   #3041
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
What a total lie. And it's not a disgrace. All these people are human and have their own opinions. There is ABSOLUTELY no proof that Strzok did anything wrong outside of having an affair and voicing his opinion on Trump to her in texts.

I've never seen so many snowflakes.
In this case it's not about snowflakes, it's about the success of the Trump et al propaganda machine.
Old Today, 12:20 AM   #3042
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
..."The mid-level stages of TDS have a profound effect on the victim's vocabulary: Sufferers speak a distinctive language consisting solely of hyperbole.

You do see that's a Trump projection, right?

Originally Posted by Slings and Arrows View Post
.."As TDS progresses, the afflicted lose the ability to distinguish fantasy from reality."
Trumpers start with the inability to distinguish fact from lies even when the evidence is clear and overwhelming.
Old Today, 12:25 AM   #3043
kellyb
Philosopher

Perhaps, I'm not making myself clear. I give Trump credit for getting the press to talk about what he wants them to talk about. Not that he is very good at getting them to write positive stories. I don't think that doing one crazy thing after another does very much for ones image but it does get people's attention.
As a kayfabe artist (literally, he spent a lot of time working in and around wrestling) it works fine if your "image" is kind of a "bad guy" people either love, love to hate, or both, alternately.
Old Today, 12:32 AM   #3044
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This may all be true, but I seriously doubt she has any evidence to prove her claims. ...
And yet we've seen three recordings already, one of Kelly talking about some unnamed security risk, ironic he didn't know she was recording the exchange.

Then you have Trump being a nice guy, acting like he had nothing to do with her being fired. That looked awfully dishonest.

And finally there is Trump spokesperson, Kayleigh denying what Omarorosa claimed just before Omararosa played the recording proving just what Omarorosa said that Kayleigh had denied saying.

Obviously Omarosa has been caught in numerous lies and exaggerations. But she has some evidence as well.
Old Today, 12:37 AM   #3045
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

IMV, unless Omarosa actually could prove her claims, she isn't telling us anything about Trump we didn't already know.
Actually not telling us something we didn't already know is true regardless.

The idea Trump knew about certain stuff before Wikileaks posted it, there is at least strong circumstantial evidence that is true.
Old Today, 01:09 AM   #3046
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

FWIW, public opinion is weighted in favour of Mueller and against Trump, according to one poll
Old Today, 02:37 AM   #3047
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Same thing with lover boy Strzok, who basically used FBI equipment to cheat on his spouse with another scumbag who was cheating on her spouse with the first scumbag.

Therefore Trump = scumbag. Surely?
Old Today, 03:18 AM   #3048
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Therefore Trump = scumbag. Surely?
I love how you guys are so desperate to misdirect that you're constantly scrambling to shift focus away from a Deep State power player/operative like Strzoka and back onto Trump.
Old Today, 03:21 AM   #3049
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Interesting

1. Disapproval of Trump handling of Russia...................... 55% v 34%
2. Russia investigation should continue............................ 58% v 37%
3. Trump has interfered with Russia investigation............. 56% v 38%
4. Trump's pronouncements on Russia are lies................ 56% v 37%
5. Trump should testify before Mueller..............................70% v 25%
6. Trump knew about campaign contact with Russia........ 57% v 36%

It seems pretty obvious to me that around 1/3 of Americans are gullible Trump sycophants who will believe any lie Trump tells them, no matter how outrageous that lie light be.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:03 AM   #3050
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Interesting

It seems pretty obvious to me that around 1/3 of Americans are gullible Trump sycophants who will believe any lie Trump tells them, no matter how outrageous that lie light be.
Yes, I agree that the article overstates the lack of support for Trump on these issues.
Old Today, 05:25 AM   #3051
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Interesting

I don't know about that. My mother in law and other in laws are tump supporters. Their approach to problems are very similar to his. It isn't shocking they agree with his handling of these because they think it is right.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:51 AM   #3052
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yes, I agree that the article overstates the lack of support for Trump on these issues.
I couldn't read the article because of the paywall, but it flashed long enough for me to see that it was based on a CNN poll, so I was able to look it up.

I was disappointed by the poll results, too.
Old Today, 05:53 AM   #3053
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Crossposting all this from the main presidency thread:

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1029800943016132608

Quote:
BREAKING: Sarah Sanders says Trump admin is also reviewing the possibility of revoking security clearances of James Clapper, James Comey, Michael Hayden, Sally Yates, Susan Rice, Peter Strzok, Bruce Ohr, Andrew McCabe, & Lisa Page.

This is sick. And will harm national security.
https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/sta...03887287525377

Quote:
(NOTE) As to Bruce Ohr, who is currently employed by the federal government, Trump's THREAT to revoke his security clearance—which would make him doing his job impossible, and might lead to his termination—is, given the "grounds" Trump has spoken of on Twitter, WITNESS TAMPERING.

(NOTE2) Trump is AWARE that Bruce Ohr is about to testify before House Republicans (see below) and he is seeking to INFLUENCE his testimony, as his statements on Twitter make clear, with this THREAT against him. Mueller will undoubtedly investigate this.

(NOTE3) A key national security expert for MSNBC just said on-air, "This is quite clearly designed to send a chilling effect to all of those who would criticize Donald Trump or his administration that this will not be tolerated." Do people realize that, as to Ohr, that's a CRIME?

(NOTE4) This tweet is now evidence of a federal felony:

(NOTE5) People do not yet realize—but soon will—that Trump has just made as big a mistake as he made in firing Comey. You *cannot* threaten the job of a witness against you in a federal investigation and SAY ON TWITTER that your reason is that he will offer testimony against you.
Article embedded in #2, and tweet embedded in #4.

Trump didn't consult with the Director of National Intelligence before revoking Brennan's security clearance

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/s...15133235830790

Quote:
The date on President Trump's statement about revoking John Brennan's security clearance? July 26. Three weeks ago. I guess it's just a coincidence that the White House decided to announce this as they struggle to deal with the fallout from Omarosa's book.
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/s...18064290947072

Quote:
The White House has now issued a second statement that doesn't include this date.
Statement embedded in first tweet.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...16974116204548

Quote:
Trump now explicitly says that he's targeting Brennan and others for their roles in the Russia investigation.

"I call it the rigged witch hunt," Trump told the WSJ. "And these people led it!" He added: "So I think it's something that had to be done."
Old Today, 05:59 AM   #3054
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I don't know about that. My mother in law and other in laws are tump supporters. Their approach to problems are very similar to his. It isn't shocking they agree with his handling of these because they think it is right.

So idiots then?
Old Today, 08:10 AM   #3055
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And yet we've seen three recordings already, one of Kelly talking about some unnamed security risk, ironic he didn't know she was recording the exchange.

Then you have Trump being a nice guy, acting like he had nothing to do with her being fired. That looked awfully dishonest.

And finally there is Trump spokesperson, Kayleigh denying what Omarorosa claimed just before Omararosa played the recording proving just what Omarorosa said that Kayleigh had denied saying.

Obviously Omarosa has been caught in numerous lies and exaggerations. But she has some evidence as well.
And none of the recordings demonstrate anything other than the duplicitous nature of the Trump administration. Something we ALL KNOW about it.
Old Today, 08:34 AM   #3056
kmortis
Biomechanoid
Director of IDIOCY (Region 13)
Deputy Admin

Mod Infothe posts concerning the former agents maintaining a clearance have been moved to their own thread.
Posted By:kmortis
- Aberhaten's Apothegm™ - An Internet law that states that optimism is indistinguishable from sarcasm
kmortis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #3057
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"“Hillary Clinton clearly got a pass by the FBI. We have the unfortunate situation where they then decided they were going to frame Donald Trump” concerning the Rigged Witch Hunt. JOE DIGENOVA, former U.S. Attorney."

“I’d strip the whole bunch of them. They’re all corrupt. They’ve all abused their power. They’ve all betrayed the American people with a political agenda. They tried to steal and influence an election in the United States.” @seanhannity"

"Mark Levin “When they had power they didn’t stop the Russians, the Chinese, the North Koreans, they funded the Iranians & are responsible for the greatest scandal in American history by interfering with our election & trying to undermine the Trump Campaign and Trump Presidency.”
Ah yes, the “best defense is a batpoop-cray-cray, 70mm-IMAX-projection-level offense” strategery.
Old Today, 09:55 AM   #3058
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Quote:
Sarah Sanders says Trump admin is also reviewing the possibility of revoking security clearances of James Clapper, James Comey, Michael Hayden, Sally Yates, Susan Rice, Peter Strzok, Bruce Ohr, Andrew McCabe, & Lisa Page.
Because...
Quote:
Trump now explicitly says that he's targeting Brennan and others for their roles in the Russia investigation.

"I call it the rigged witch hunt," Trump told the WSJ. "And these people led it!" He added: "So I think it's something that had to be done."
...nothing says “I am perfectly innocent of this fiction and welcome, not to mention will cooperate fully and gladly with, the investigation so as to demonstrate that fact” like putting people on notice in such a manner.
Old Today, 12:20 PM   #3059
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
POIDH.
Please No.

For the love of grud, No.
Old Today, 02:08 PM   #3060
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

"“Hillary Clinton clearly got a pass by the FBI. We have the unfortunate situation where they then decided they were going to frame Donald Trump” concerning the Rigged Witch Hunt. JOE DIGENOVA, former U.S. Attorney."

“I’d strip the whole bunch of them. They’re all corrupt. They’ve all abused their power. They’ve all betrayed the American people with a political agenda. They tried to steal and influence an election in the United States.” @seanhannity"

"Mark Levin “When they had power they didn’t stop the Russians, the Chinese, the North Koreans, they funded the Iranians & are responsible for the greatest scandal in American history by interfering with our election & trying to undermine the Trump Campaign and Trump Presidency.”
LOL! All three are extremist right wing whack jobs.

Trump hired DiGenova than rescinded it with days. Why? Cuz he's nuts.
Hannity? About as right wing as it gets.
Levin? He thinks Obama is a Muslim Brotherhood sympathizer, wire tapped Trump's campaign, and is part of a Deep State plot to overthrow Trump. He's a conspiracy theorist.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:24 PM   #3061
smartcooky
Philosopher

If I were in Mueller's shoes right now, I would be making duplicates of every piece of evidence gathered so far, and putting it in the hands of a trusted third party in case Trump shuts down the investigation.

Then if/when the Democrats win the House in November or 2020, Congress can reinstate the investigation, and it begins where it was left off..
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:44 PM   #3062
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If I were in Mueller's shoes right now, I would be making duplicates of every piece of evidence gathered so far, and putting it in the hands of a trusted third party in case Trump shuts down the investigation.

Then if/when the Democrats win the House in November or 2020, Congress can reinstate the investigation, and it begins where it was left off..
This raises an interesting question. Who exactly would be the appropriate third party, to whom a senior law enforcement official of the federal government can disclose the details of an ongoing investigation?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:07 PM   #3063
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
This raises an interesting question. Who exactly would be the appropriate third party, to whom a senior law enforcement official of the federal government can disclose the details of an ongoing investigation?
Who would you suggest?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:30 PM   #3064
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Who would you suggest?
It's not my proposal. I'm asking smartcooky the same question you are.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:53 PM   #3065
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

It could be encrypted, I suppose, but whether this is legally acceptable isn't clear to me.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:02 PM   #3066
wareyin
Philosopher

Perhaps an ostensibly neutral party? Say, I seem to have seen a few conservative posters right here on ISF who apparently are incapable of seeing any wrongdoing on Trump's part. Maybe sharing it with people who can't even see it would be the best way to keep it safe?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:04 PM   #3067
smartcooky
Philosopher

I wasn't thinking of disclosing any details, I was thinking more of sealing everything in boxes and depositing them in a bank vault.

If this sort of thing happened in Europe, a safe deposit box at Zuercher Kantonalbank, or UBS in Switzerland would be the ideal place... anywhere really, so long as Trump and his gang of criminals can't get at them.

I'm not sure there is anywhere in the USA that would be as good as a Swiss Bank for this sort of thing.
Old Today, 06:06 PM   #3068
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I wasn't thinking of disclosing any details, I was thinking more of sealing everything in boxes and depositing them in a bank vault.

If this sort of thing happened in Europe, a safe deposit box at Zuercher Kantonalbank, or UBS in Switzerland would be the ideal place... anywhere really, so long as Trump and his gang of criminals can't get at them.

I'm not sure there is anywhere in the USA that would be as good as a Swiss Bank for this sort of thing.
Again, it's not particularly clear that this is legally allowable, since I know nothing about the law in these matters, but it does seem plausible.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:52 PM   #3069
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Strange how indifferent some people are to Obama's lies. Is it that you knew all along that he was lying and just didn't care, because it served the cause? Or is it that you're not one of the people getting screwed right now because of it?
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I'm not the one experiencing distress upon reading Trump's tweets.
Funny how things change over time.
Old Today, 08:06 PM   #3070
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Funny how things change over time.
Now now, no need to be such a thin-skinned narcissist.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics