IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , lawsuits , sasquatch

Old 5th October 2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Drewbot
Philosopher

Legal Ramifications of Shooting a Kid in a Bigfoot Suit

Scenario-

Bigfoot hunters are out in the woods, well-armed, with the intention of shooting a Sasquatch for scientific research. They have a location in the woods, and are certain that they are in contact with a group of Sasquatches. They have armed themselves and are prepared to collect a specimen for science.

A shot is fired and one of the Bigfoot Hunters yells that he got one, they run to the body, and see it is a teen-aged boy in a gorilla suit, 3 other kids approach taking off their masks and asking 'what have you done?'

What would the legal trouble these Hypothetical Bigfoot hunters would be in?

I ask any prosecutors or legal professionals to weigh in on this.

Let's assume the Bigfoot Hunters are on Private property with permission to be there.

Last edited by Drewbot; 5th October 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 01:58 PM   #2
MG1962

Death by mis-adventure
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 01:58 PM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Involuntary manslaughter.

It would be the trial of the new century. Worth a fortune televised as pay-per-view.
Old 5th October 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

What is a hunter charged with when he accidentally kills a man, thinking it's a deer? When he fires at a rustle in the bushes, and it turns out not to be a turkey, but another hunter?

Here's a similar incident with no charges.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...tland_hun.html

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 02:10 PM   #5
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.wate.com/story/18743547/f...ental-shooting

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Kid's asking for it. It's like wearing a mini-skirt to a biker bar.
Old 5th October 2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Drewbot
Philosopher

The kid wasn't wearing a deer suit, and the hunters were intending to hoot an ape that doesn't exist
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 02:46 PM   #8
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
The kid wasn't wearing a deer suit, and the hunters were intending to hoot an ape that doesn't exist
Did I say he was? Did I say they weren't?
If you live where Footers with guns hang around, you'd be suicidal to try on a fur coat, let alone a Figboot suit.
Old 5th October 2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Ts4EVER
Critical Thinker

I kinda was hoping this was an advice thread.
Ts4EVER is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 02:48 PM   #10
baron

Irrespective of the fact bigfoot almost certainly doesn't exist, anybody who goes out hunting it is a wannabe murderer in my book.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 03:00 PM   #11
Robrob
Philosopher

The Bigfoot costume is irrelevant. Taking away the Bigfoot aspect and substituting someone wearing a deer suit during hunting season, I seriously doubt anyone would prosecute you.
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 03:04 PM   #12
George
Banned

If later enquiries show that the annoying little sod was shot first and then dressed in the monkey suit, the guy may have problems.

Last edited by George; 5th October 2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
George is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 03:15 PM   #13
DennyT
Illuminator

Would depend on the venue rural Oklahoma vs suburban Chicago.
But I think two victims are more likely: bear or person not wearing a costume.

On a related note
Bipto should consider why no one has ever been able to bag a Bigfoot.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 03:52 PM   #14
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Irrespective of the fact bigfoot almost certainly doesn't exist, anybody who goes out hunting it is a wannabe murderer in my book.
This post sums it up for me.

Tim

Last edited by RedRatSnake; 5th October 2012 at 04:15 PM.
RedRatSnake is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 04:02 PM   #15
C_Felix
Master Poster

As someone said, involuntary man slaughter.

But...I've heard some states, counties, towns, have rules against shooting a bigfoot in an attempt to kill it.

So....uh...better not shoot the kid in one of those counties because something will happen. What that something is? I don't know.
Old 5th October 2012, 04:21 PM   #16
Kilaak Kommander
Critical Thinker

What are the legal ramifications if you intend to shoot a kid, but accidentally kill a Bigfoot instead?
Kilaak Kommander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 04:43 PM   #17
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Kilaak Kommander View Post
What are the legal ramifications if you intend to shoot a kid, but accidentally kill a Bigfoot instead?
Off Topic !!

Tim ~ lol
Old 5th October 2012, 05:08 PM   #18
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Once I was renting a lodge in rural Maine in April, and it was a bit chilly. My then-g/f put on a fake fur coat to go out and the lodge owner said to her "Better watch where you go in that coat, hon. Someone's liable to think you're a bay'ah and take a shot at you."

To which my ex replied, "Well, I've got a red hat on."

The lodge owner replied "That won't help you, hon. They'll just think you're a smaht bay'ah."

I don't see how the scenario described could be ruled as anything other than a tragic accident.
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 05:31 PM   #19
yog_sothoth
Critical Thinker

It would probably depend on the relative wealth of the hunters vs the family of the children. Also, if the kid's mother or father was a cop things would be bad for the hunters. I would add race as a factor, but I don't know how often that would come up with this sort of thing.
yog_sothoth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 05:35 PM   #20
jasonpatterson
Philanthropic Misanthrope

I can't find it, but there was a very similar thread to this previously.

My thoughts -

Having a hunting license doesn't give you permission to go into the woods and shoot anything you like. The species you can take are strictly regulated, and Bigfoot isn't one of them anywhere that I've heard of. What you're describing is a bunch of people going into the woods to poach a Bigfoot, which, if it did exist, would be one of the rarest animals on Earth. During the course of their illegal activity, they kill a person. I suspect that this will jack up the severity of their punishment.
jasonpatterson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 05:57 PM   #21
Stomatopoda
Muse

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
What is a hunter charged with when he accidentally kills a man, thinking it's a deer?
Depends if the victim was...
A. wearing proper gear, orange vest, following safety rules
B. wearing an elaborate deer suit, complete with antlers, mimicking the behavior of a deer
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 06:01 PM   #22
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by yog_sothoth View Post
It would probably depend on the relative wealth of the hunters vs the family of the children. Also, if the kid's mother or father was a cop things would be bad for the hunters. I would add race as a factor, but I don't know how often that would come up with this sort of thing.

LMAO ~ Man that is something i have lived with my whole life. Being a Bigot aside. I think you might have something there, what if was some immigrants making their way to Canada but came up shot ?

Tim ~ LOL
Old 5th October 2012, 06:07 PM   #23
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
I can't find it, but there was a very similar thread to this previously.

My thoughts -

Having a hunting license doesn't give you permission to go into the woods and shoot anything you like. The species you can take are strictly regulated, and Bigfoot isn't one of them anywhere that I've heard of. What you're describing is a bunch of people going into the woods to poach a Bigfoot, which, if it did exist, would be one of the rarest animals on Earth. During the course of their illegal activity, they kill a person. I suspect that this will jack up the severity of their punishment.

At first I was thinking involuntary manslaughter, like other posters. Your post convinced me that the hunters in question would be faced with severe civil prosecution at the very least.

It would be a different story, though, if the hunter's intended game was bear I think.
Old 5th October 2012, 06:33 PM   #24
Sonny2
Muse

Wouldn't whether or not they had a BF hunting license make a difference?
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 06:33 PM   #25
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kilaak Kommander View Post
An actual bigfoot?

Jackpot! Call that dude with the bigfoot bankroll...

No jury is going to convict anyone for shooting an actual big hairy monster.

Just don't mention why you were out there...

Old 5th October 2012, 06:38 PM   #26
GT/CS
Illuminator

Ah, but don't forget that the DNA project is going to prove bigfoot is human.

The plot thickens!
Old 5th October 2012, 06:41 PM   #27
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
It would be a different story, though, if the hunter's intended game was bear I think.
In this case the hunter has clearly stated the game is a Bigfoot. An Unclassified bipedal animal, not recognized as a true species by any state.

Tim
Old 5th October 2012, 06:47 PM   #28
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Ah, but don't forget that the DNA project is going to prove bigfoot is human.

The plot thickens!
It's reasonable to fear for your life when a 9'X6' 1200 pound hairy monster walks towards you...

Old 5th October 2012, 06:48 PM   #29
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake View Post
In this case the hunter has clearly stated the game is a Bigfoot. An Unclassified bipedal animal, not recognized as a true species by any state.

Tim
Right. You have essentially said your target is a human in a suit.

Old 5th October 2012, 06:49 PM   #30
joesixpack
Illuminator

If I had a gun, and was in the woods, AND saw something that looked like Bigfoot, AND had a clear shot at it, I doubt that I'd shoot because I would be horrified at the idea that it was probably a person in costume intent on creating a(n) hoax.
Old 5th October 2012, 06:53 PM   #31
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
If I had a gun, and was in the woods, AND saw something that looked like Bigfoot, AND had a clear shot at it, I doubt that I'd shoot because I would be horrified at the idea that it was probably a person in costume intent on creating a(n) hoax.
The odds are pretty darn good that it's a human...

Old 5th October 2012, 06:54 PM   #32
Sonny2
Muse

If it were a kid in a suit, wouldn't the suit be kinda big on it (or else it's a little BF or a real big kid)? That for sure would be a dead giveaway.
Sonny2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 06:55 PM   #33
king catfish
I am Dr. Moongasa!

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I guess in "your book" it's morally superior to pay someone else to make the animal miserable for a while before killing it for us and putting the prettily wrapped meat in the supermarket for us to purchase?
Old 5th October 2012, 06:57 PM   #34
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

A little padding here, a little padding there, and you have Patty.

Tim
Old 5th October 2012, 06:58 PM   #35
Sonny2
Muse

AKA Paddy.
Old 5th October 2012, 07:00 PM   #36
Jodie
Philosopher

For some reason I think all of these threads on the forums about what they are doing out there in Area X might play against them if the unthinkable happens.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 07:06 PM   #37
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
For some reason I think all of these threads on the forums about what they are doing out there in Area X might play against them if the unthinkable happens.
I think it is all just a crock and not a shot has been fired, as was stated earlier it's a marketing ploy. It's all a hoax, but this time setting up a "deadicated" hunting area has taken it a bit too far. IMHO

Tim
Old 5th October 2012, 07:13 PM   #38
Jodie
Philosopher

I would like to believe Kathy and what she tells me, but I can't lie and say that based on what little she can say about it that I don't have some serious reservations. These are a group of people running all over this plot of private land shooting at things that look like a bigfoot, I just can't get past that part.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 07:16 PM   #39
joesixpack
Illuminator

At least they're not setting traps for them. That sounds even more dangerous. How about they just invest in some of those infrared game cameras?
Old 5th October 2012, 07:19 PM   #40
Jodie
Philosopher

According to them, the bigfoot took them off the trees.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal