IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , lawsuits , sasquatch

Old 5th October 2012, 07:20 PM   #41
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

I think the charges would be more harsh if they had seconds on the Bigfoot steak.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 07:23 PM   #42
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I would like to believe Kathy and what she tells me, but I can't lie and say that based on what little she can say about it that I don't have some serious reservations. These are a group of people running all over this plot of private land shooting at things that look like a bigfoot, I just can't get past that part.
I keep the fact that it could be happening in mind, but as we know this BF thing is full of misinformation even the CIA would be proud of. Part of the mystic and the fuel that keeps it running.

Tim
Old 5th October 2012, 07:25 PM   #43
Jodie
Philosopher

To be honest, this is one time I hope everybody is lying. It just seems too risky to do it and eventually your luck is bound to run out.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 07:31 PM   #44
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
At least they're not setting traps for them. That sounds even more dangerous. How about they just invest in some of those infrared game cameras?
Well if you believe in it all, Traps have been set, game cams galore have been set out, baited trails, dedicated web cam sites, habituation sites have been claimed and investigated. The list goes on and on. If you have an interest you can just google up Bigfoot and be off and running.

Tim
Old 5th October 2012, 07:33 PM   #45
joesixpack
Illuminator

According to them, the bigfoot took them off the trees.
I call BS on that. One of them went out there and pulled 'em off to keep the rest of the group keyed up for this little fantasy adventure.

I bet if you sneak out there and point some game cameras on the other game cameras you'll find out exactly who the Munchausen is.
Old 5th October 2012, 07:35 PM   #46
Jodie
Philosopher

It's odd that you would say Munchausen because I once compared habituators to those suffering from Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy, proxy being bigfoot.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 07:40 PM   #47
OntarioSquatch
Graduate Poster

So far the TBRC has had 6 incidents where they have shot at a Bigfoot. Given some of their other observations I think the man in a suit hoax theory is pretty much out the window, unless maybe they are suicidal and death defying hoaxers. Which wouldn't really make sense. Also, what's with Bigfoot not existing being stated as fact lol. There is a difference between an opinion and a fact. Last time I checked some high level scientists are sure they exist, but most are not sure. If it was a fact, Brian Sykes wouldn't be risking his reputation with "footers".
OntarioSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 07:41 PM   #48
Castro
Muse

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Scenario-

Bigfoot hunters are out in the woods, well-armed, with the intention of shooting a Sasquatch for scientific research. They have a location in the woods, and are certain that they are in contact with a group of Sasquatches. They have armed themselves and are prepared to collect a specimen for science.

A shot is fired and one of the Bigfoot Hunters yells that he got one, they run to the body, and see it is a teen-aged boy in a gorilla suit, 3 other kids approach taking off their masks and asking 'what have you done?'

What would the legal trouble these Hypothetical Bigfoot hunters would be in?

I ask any prosecutors or legal professionals to weigh in on this.

Let's assume the Bigfoot Hunters are on Private property with permission to be there.
V 2.0
If the concern is about the TBRC, I would not worry too much about it.
Their "Marketing and Communications Coordinator" said several times "we are either lying or telling the truth"( here and at the BFF), but that's not so simple IMO. I don't think that acting in a role playing game is "lying" and I will not say anything about marketing. But when I look at their site and at the evidence provided to back up their claims about sightings, shootings, DNA testing etc, what do I see? A site that looks like a stage set, a lot of storytelling, and zero evidence. IMO, they know perfectly well what bigfootery is all about.

Last edited by Castro; 5th October 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 07:42 PM   #49
joesixpack
Illuminator

It's odd that you would say Munchausen because I once compared habituators to those suffering from Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy, proxy being bigfoot.
I imagine in a group of bigfoot hunters, there's one guy (or gal) who is actively stringing the others along. S/he is leaving tantalizing clues, wrecking their game cameras, and sabotaging their traps. The rest of the people in the group are probably aware that they're being deceived, but the excitement of the fantasy adventure is more fun than reality, so they are active participants in the deception. It is a willing folie a deux* to provide a make-believe escape from the mundane lives they lead.

*That's the second time in as many weeks that I've had a chance to use that term.
Old 5th October 2012, 07:43 PM   #50
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

To be honest, this is one time I hope everybody is lying. It just seems too risky to do it and eventually your luck is bound to run out.
I believe this one is a hoax and not really happening, those in question that are running this seem to be more in line with making money and not so much being deranged as to shoot at an upright biped. It was mentioned before about marketing and that's what this is all about.

If i am wrong, then there are people that are shooting real bullets at a bipedal target and have somehow lost what is reality and what is not and do not belong in society.

Tim
Old 5th October 2012, 07:50 PM   #51
Jodie
Philosopher

nevermind

Last edited by Jodie; 5th October 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 5th October 2012, 08:04 PM   #52
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by OntarioSquatch View Post
So far the TBRC has had 6 incidents where they have shot at a Bigfoot. Given some of their other observations I think the man in a suit hoax theory is pretty much out the window, unless maybe they are suicidal and death defying hoaxers. Which wouldn't really make sense. Also, what's with Bigfoot not existing being stated as fact lol. There is a difference between an opinion and a fact. Last time I checked some high level scientists are sure they exist, but most are not sure. If it was a fact, Brian Sykes wouldn't be risking his reputation with "footers".
Some pretty bad shots if they haven't brought the target down by now don't ya think ?

Tim
Old 5th October 2012, 08:07 PM   #53
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I imagine in a group of bigfoot hunters, there's one guy (or gal) who is actively stringing the others along. S/he is leaving tantalizing clues, wrecking their game cameras, and sabotaging their traps. The rest of the people in the group are probably aware that they're being deceived, but the excitement of the fantasy adventure is more fun than reality, so they are active participants in the deception. It is a willing folie a deux* to provide a make-believe escape from the mundane lives they lead.

*That's the second time in as many weeks that I've had a chance to use that term.
You just explained the Finding Bigfoot Show

Tim
Old 5th October 2012, 08:24 PM   #54
Stomatopoda
Muse

This thread is making me wonder if any bear maulings have been due to hunters shooting at what they thought was a bigfoot.
Stomatopoda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 09:19 PM   #55
Dragoonster
Graduate Poster

If shrinks or whoever find they actually believe Bigfoot exists, I don't see why they'd be found guilty of anything.

Shooting a kid dressed in a gorilla suit but thinking it was Bigfoot would seem to be the same as shooting a deer in a gorilla suit but thinking it was Bigfoot.

Or, say, an Air Marshall shooting a child dressed in an al qaeda suicide bomb suit.
Dragoonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 09:24 PM   #56
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stomatopoda View Post
This thread is making me wonder if any bear maulings have been due to hunters shooting at what they thought was a bigfoot.
Some were actually bigfoot maulings...people are confused after a mauling...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 09:36 PM   #57
River
Illuminator

Allegedly bipto's group (TBRC) has had 6 incidents where they shot at bigfoot. I would love to see what fish and game thinks about that. Maybe even the sherrif in the area also.

Hunters are supposed to positively identify targets before firing. If you wound an animal and it runs, you're supposed to find it and finish the deed and pickup your corpse. After 6 incidents of shooting and no body, or nothing to show from it I'd say something is rotten in "area x".

If you're shooting at a "bipedal animal" running on two legs, (unless its a bear for a short distance) you're shooting a human. There are no bigfoots, and I hope if someone ever does get shot that both the shooter and the victims family realize this is not how sane adults behave. Neither are responsible behavior, and neither deserves a free pass. One might be dead, and the other should be charged for shooting at something that could only be a human in a suit.

IMHO of course. Personally, I think its all a buncha crap. TBRC is probably trying to get a reality show spot, like the phailing at finding bigfoot. Sure looks like they're trying really hard to "get attention". Bipto is good at getting them going.

My guess is, they will never "bag" anything, and it will always be stories with no evidence to back them up. Such is the lore of bigfoot.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 09:46 PM   #58
Dragoonster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by River View Post
Allegedly bipto's group (TBRC) has had 6 incidents where they shot at bigfoot. I would love to see what fish and game thinks about that. Maybe even the sherrif in the area also.
Good points. And referencing the hunting license point above, I'm not up on laws about people going into the woods and firing weapons at x,y,z. Can they do that as is, with no target? Or can they do this only after identifying a species on their license? Since I assume people can go out back and shoot a rabbit even though there's no "rabbit license" required, I figured shooting at animals that don't require a hunting license wasn't a crime.

Quote:
Hunters are supposed to positively identify targets before firing. If you wound an animal and it runs, you're supposed to find it and finish the deed and pickup your corpse.
Are those legal requirements? And if so are you suggesting that if those Bigfoot hunters didn't finish off the kid in the gorilla suit with the first shot, they should follow up to end the kill, else they'd be in legal trouble?

Quote:
There are no bigfoots, and I hope if someone ever does get shot that both the shooter and the victims family realize this is not how sane adults behave.
I don't think most believers in Bigfoot are legally insane.

Quote:
IMHO of course. Personally, I think its all a buncha crap.
I agree. But intent and mental state seem to be a determinant in any charges. I just don't see how a true Bigfoot believer would be guilty of any serious charge in the OP's scenario. At most, maybe some firearms or hunting misdemeanors.
Dragoonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 09:50 PM   #59
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I wonder if a prosecutor could argue that the only possible bipedal humanoid form walking around in the USA is going to be a human... and therefore the only possible thing that a Bigfoot hunter could be hunting is a human.

Think of this...

I thought he was a Bigfoot.

I thought she was a fairy.

I thought he was an ogre.

I thought she was a witch.

A thrill killer could run right though the gamut of nonsense always saying that he thought he was killing that that that that thing. Yeah, that thing.

Not guilty. Go home and don't do that again.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:00 PM   #60
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate

Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Originally Posted by RedRatSnake View Post
Some pretty bad shots if they haven't brought the target down by now don't ya think ?

Tim
That was my thought too. Six shots and they didn't even wing one?
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 10:05 PM   #61
joesixpack
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
That was my thought too. Six shots and they didn't even wing one?
I'm certain they hit it dead center. "It" was not a bigfoot, though. It was a large bush.
Old 5th October 2012, 10:20 PM   #62
Dragoonster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I wonder if a prosecutor could argue that the only possible bipedal humanoid form walking around in the USA is going to be a human... and therefore the only possible thing that a Bigfoot hunter could be hunting is a human.
Bears do walk bipedal at times. So do skunks (on front feet to spray), though they're smaller than a child so maybe don't fit "humanoid".

Quote:
Think of this...

I thought he was a Bigfoot.

I thought she was a fairy.

I thought he was an ogre.

I thought she was a witch.

A thrill killer could run right though the gamut of nonsense always saying that he thought he was killing that that that that thing. Yeah, that thing.

Not guilty. Go home and don't do that again.
A thrill killer is likely to do his killing out in the woods via killing a person dressed as a fairy, ogre or witch? He'd need to have a ton of patience for that opportunity to kill.

I guess an urban example would be a troll...if some dude shot another dude who was under a bridge in a troll suit. I don't think you're properly considering that the victim in question was not obviously a human.

Let's remove Bigfoot from the equation. Should a hunter licensed for shooting bear be charged with killing a kid in the woods who was dressed in a bear suit, which he thought was a bear?
Old 5th October 2012, 10:38 PM   #63
Mudcat
Man of a Thousand Memes

Originally Posted by RedRatSnake View Post
In this case the hunter has clearly stated the game is a Bigfoot. An Unclassified bipedal animal, not recognized as a true species by any state.

Tim
I think you misunderstand me. My post was assuming a non-Sasquatch hunting hunter hunting for bear who might mistaken a person in a Sasquatch or gorilla costume for a bear.

How about they just invest in some of those infrared game cameras?
I remember using information about camera traps in an argumentive essay that was arguing against the existence of Bigfoot. The short of it is that there are somewhere around a hundred thousand camera traps, including thermal sensitive deals, in use around the world in every imaginable terrain. But still no images that can point to the existence of Bigfoot beyond any reasonable doubt.

Last edited by Mudcat; 5th October 2012 at 10:46 PM.
Mudcat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 10:59 PM   #64
manofthesea
2wu4u

The hunter could easily use the Dick Cheney defense. Cheney was hunting birds and shot his friend in the face. They were wearing orange vests. Accidents happen.

A guy in a fur suit...
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 11:02 PM   #65
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dragoonster View Post
Good points. And referencing the hunting license point above, I'm not up on laws about people going into the woods and firing weapons at x,y,z. Can they do that as is, with no target? Or can they do this only after identifying a species on their license? Since I assume people can go out back and shoot a rabbit even though there's no "rabbit license" required, I figured shooting at animals that don't require a hunting license wasn't a crime.

On private land (in my state) you can fire a weapon as long as you're not within city limits and outside of whatever code your jurisdiction has for distances away from roads or neighbors etc. (and of course "firing in a safe direction and manor) there are very little laws to restrict gunfire on private land in those situations.

However, if they are "hunting" they have to specify what for, and have appropriate hunting gear/attire/permits. Whatever they claim to be hunting for must either be in season, or not regulated. (in most states you can "hunt" coyotes all year round, some states wild pigs also at night also etc) Most game animals are more regulated, and there are certain hours and seasons available. (still have to have the right permits of course)

Quote:
Are those legal requirements? And if so are you suggesting that if those Bigfoot hunters didn't finish off the kid in the gorilla suit with the first shot, they should follow up to end the kill, else they'd be in legal trouble?

LoL! No, but its more a hunter code of ethics. In some areas you may have to try and recover. Most hunters will go to great lengths to recover a wounded animal. Kind of sucks to leave something out there suffering and waste the harvest.

Quote:
I don't think most believers in Bigfoot are legally insane.

Me either. However, some are pretty questionable. You either have to be lying or possibly insane to account for some of the stories told/actions taken.

Quote:
I agree. But intent and mental state seem to be a determinant in any charges. I just don't see how a true Bigfoot believer would be guilty of any serious charge in the OP's scenario. At most, maybe some firearms or hunting misdemeanors.

I suppose it depends on how it happens, what is said. and those pesky details/evidence. I hope something like this never happens so we have to find out.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY

Last edited by River; 5th October 2012 at 11:06 PM.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 11:11 PM   #66
Dragoonster
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by River View Post
LoL! No, but its more a hunter code of ethics. In some areas you may have to try and recover. Most hunters will go to great lengths to recover a wounded animal. Kind of sucks to leave something out there suffering and waste the harvest.
Heh, I didn't think you meant that, but saw an opportunity to snark. Hunters who stick by those ethics are good by me.

Quote:
I suppose it depends on how it happens, what is said. and those pesky details/evidence. I hope something like this never happens so we have to find out.
Me either. I agree with someone above that it would be a more viable civil case than criminal case, and that the $$$ pockets of those involved would likely decide it.

I don't have much sympathy for Bigfoot believers as skeptics/intelligent people, but would have some sympathy if one of them who really believed shot a kid dressed as a gorilla. And I imagine (or hope) that he'd be just as emotionally devastated about accidentally killing a kid as any of us in the real world.
Old 5th October 2012, 11:18 PM   #67
manofthesea
2wu4u

People do stupid things all the time. Sometimes those stupid things prove fatal.
Does anyone seriously think a hunter (even of bigfoot) would start firing off rounds without considering the potential target is just a dumbass?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_gCe-0LOBxj...nji+hunter.jpg
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2012, 11:21 PM   #68
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dragoonster View Post
Heh, I didn't think you meant that, but saw an opportunity to snark. Hunters who stick by those ethics are good by me.

Me either. I agree with someone above that it would be a more viable civil case than criminal case, and that the $$$ pockets of those involved would likely decide it.

I don't have much sympathy for Bigfoot believers as skeptics/intelligent people, but would have some sympathy if one of them who really believed shot a kid dressed as a gorilla. And I imagine (or hope) that he'd be just as emotionally devastated about accidentally killing a kid as any of us in the real world.

If that was the case, maybe they should better educate themselves so that they don't "believe in bigfoot".

Old 5th October 2012, 11:29 PM   #69
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Sonny2 View Post
Wouldn't whether or not they had a BF hunting license make a difference?

Only if they were in season.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2012, 01:21 AM   #70
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Isn't the most well known case of this actually cheney ? Although in this case the otehr guy did not die.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2012, 01:37 AM   #71
manofthesea
2wu4u

Quote:
Hunting accidents account for approximately 160 accidental shootings each year, with an average of 50 fatalities.
http://www.thesurvivorsclub.org/extr...ental-shooting
Old 6th October 2012, 04:40 AM   #72
baron

Originally Posted by king catfish View Post
I guess in "your book" it's morally superior to pay someone else to make the animal miserable for a while before killing it for us and putting the prettily wrapped meat in the supermarket for us to purchase?
Yes, I most certainly do, as does anybody with a brain. A person who decides they'll go out and gun down the first recorded instance of a creature that (if it existed) would be humankind's closest living relative is a retard who must be locked up for the good of society.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2012, 05:02 AM   #73
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

If I see somebody dressed as bigfoot on a plane? I'll kill him.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2012, 05:54 AM   #74
Drewbot
Philosopher

They have been warned that there are no Bigfoots. There are no states that recognize BF as an animal.

What if someone thought Stuka Dive Bombers were attacking his land at night and started firing at Commercial aircraft?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2012, 05:56 AM   #75
king catfish
I am Dr. Moongasa!

Originally Posted by baron View Post
Yes, I most certainly do, as does anybody with a brain. A person who decides they'll go out and gun down the first recorded instance of a creature that (if it existed) would be humankind's closest living relative is a retard who must be locked up for the good of society.
OK, color me embarrassed. I totally misread your post and shot off at the mouth about something hardly even tangentially related. I apologize. Now that I have actually read your post, I agree.

Again, it is confirmed that I suck at the Internet.

Last edited by king catfish; 6th October 2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: typos
king catfish is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2012, 05:59 AM   #76
baron

Originally Posted by king catfish View Post
OK, color me embarrassed. I totally misread your post and shot off at the mouth about something hardly even tangentially related. I apologize. Now that I have actually read your post, I agree.

Again, it is confirmed that I suck at the Internet.
No worries.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th October 2012, 06:07 AM   #77
manofthesea
2wu4u

Originally Posted by baron View Post
How do you feel about the innumerable experiments conducted on chimpanzees?
Old 6th October 2012, 06:26 AM   #78
baron

Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
How do you feel about the innumerable experiments conducted on chimpanzees?
Which ones?
Old 6th October 2012, 06:38 AM   #79
manofthesea
2wu4u

The current ones will do for starters.
Quote:
Hepatitis research is currently the largest area of chimpanzee use in the U.S. It continues even in the face of valid arguments challenging its scientific worth. In 2006, almost $11 million was spent on infectious disease research involving chimpanzees and over $7 million of that went to hepatitis C research.

Chimpanzees are currently still being used for hepatitis C (HCV) research. However, the course of HCV disease in the chimpanzee differs significantly from its course in humans. These differences, like the disparities seen in other viral infections, is part of the explanation of why using chimpanzees to develop a hepatitis C vaccine for humans is problematic.
Quote:
Since the late 1980s, the U.S. government has used hundreds of chimpanzees for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) research. This research is considered largely a failure having resulted in little or no new or applicable information about the disease, its treatment, or cure.
Quote:
Chimpanzees can be infected with many of the same viruses that afflict humans. Which does not however, prove they are a good or even productive model for that particular disease. In fact, time and again, they have failed as a model to replicate human disease and therefore led to limited, erroneous or even dangerous conclusions when applied to humans.
Quote:
Besides infectious disease research, primate researchers and the National Center for Research Resources (NCRR), the division of NIH that manages chimpanzee use, consider neuroscience and cognition studies to be other important areas for the use of chimpanzees in research. One past study, for example, attempted to “infect” baby chimpanzees by injecting their brains with brain tissue and spinal fluid from humans suffering from multiple sclerosis (MS). To date, the research has not contributed to our understanding of MS in any significant way

Chimpanzees are humans closest relatives.

http://www.releasechimps.org/research/contemporary

As far as shooting a bigfoot, a specimen is needed for proof of existence.
Old 6th October 2012, 06:49 AM   #80
baron

Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
The current ones will do for starters.

Chimpanzees are humans closest relatives.

http://www.releasechimps.org/research/contemporary

As far as shooting a bigfoot, a specimen is needed for proof of existence.
Good unbiased source there. But if you can't differentiate between a small number of experiments with the potential to significantly benefit humankind and shooting an intelligent creature for a laugh then you won't be understanding my point any time soon.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal