IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , lawsuits , sasquatch

Old 9th October 2012, 03:13 PM   #161
Laton
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Remember that Krantz actually hunted for bigfoot with a rifle. He would drive around at night with a spotlight and a rifle, waiting to get a shot at one.
The hell?

I've done a lot of spotlighting, mainly for foxes during lambing season, and the great majority of the time you see eye-shine long before seeing the body of the animal itself.

In fact with a bit of experience you can tell almost exactly what you are looking at just by the colour & brightness of the eyes.

Fox or cat (and owls) - very bright white/pale yellow with a slight reddish or green tinge. Easily visible at long (over 500m) distance.
Sheep/Goats/Kangaroos/horses/cows - bright, lots of green;
Pigs/wombats (people ) - little or no shine in general - if you do get some it tends to be red;
Rabbits/possums - dull, red;
spiders - multi-coloured.

Using a good light and a x9 scope at shooting ranges (out to about 200m) you can clearly see the animal for identification before shooting, and even then you need an absolutely solid shooting rest.

I'd love to know what this guy was expecting to see and how he was going to clearly ID his target at night. I can tell you there is no way I would ever fire at a humanoid shaped target at night....or during the day for that matter.
Laton is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 03:21 PM   #162
manofthesea
2wu4u

Whoever is foolish enough to wear a fur suit in the forest is going up being a public spectacle, nothing more.

http://www.spike.com/shows/1000-ways-to-die

Authorities have seen enough stupid. Try running around naked on a university campus and see what happens. A fur suit in the forest with people already stating that they are hunting for an elusive creature..
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 03:44 PM   #163
manofthesea
2wu4u

If anything, the parent or guardian (adult who allowed this reckless behavior) will be held culpable and brought up on charges.
Wrongful death of a minor will probably mean life in prison.

"B b but bigfoot isn't real, your honor!"
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 04:30 PM   #164
Cainkane1
Philosopher

I'd say it was murder. If some big hairy primate who walks upright is shot the creature might be a race of unknown humans. Perhaps suffering from giantism or hypertricosis. Not a good idea.
Old 9th October 2012, 04:45 PM   #165
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
If anything, the parent or guardian (adult who allowed this reckless behavior) will be held culpable and brought up on charges.
Wrongful death of a minor will probably mean life in prison.

"B b but bigfoot isn't real, your honor!"

If they were clueless about BF stuff, i would think the parents might take it as a big joke. I can't see them being responsible for that.

If they followed what was going on in the BF world, and let him go deliberately knowing he would get shot at. Well, that's something else.

My kids had two large bear suits they bought on Ebay years ago, ( I posted them on BFF1 back when ) they used to make films in the back yard, i didn't see anything wrong with that.

Got to remember. BF is pretty much just a running joke for most folks.

Tim
Old 9th October 2012, 06:47 PM   #166
River
Illuminator

Real bigfoots just turn on cloaking mode when people get the guns out. You guys should already know this. There are two bigfoots in this photo.

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th October 2012, 09:03 PM   #167
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I don't know if that deer is hiccuping or listening to Rick James.
Old 10th October 2012, 05:20 PM   #168
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I think it is suppose to be, an illustration of what the TBRC is doing to those that believe in them.

Tim
Old 10th October 2012, 06:15 PM   #169
AttorneyTom
Muse

Originally Posted by River View Post
Real bigfoots just turn on cloaking mode when people get the guns out. You guys should already know this. There are two bigfoots in this photo.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k273/iammenotu/dr.gif
I was thinking "Funky Poodle".. but yes.

A hunter with the intention of finding and shooting BF with intent shoots and kills a child in a furry costume thinking it is a BF in the woods or wherever under no threat or provocation ?

First line of defense is that the client is mentally disabled. That wont work btw.. 2nd line is to figure out some plea of Involuntary Manslaughter or 2nd degree murder.. It wasnt premeditated.. good luck with that.. but still. he thought it was real. Jury might buy it.. many might not. You would want to make sure to have all sorts of "experts" testify as to the client inculcation in the BF World. How he would be coaxed and taught that such a thing existed.. media people.. website folks.. perhaps even some of the BF people .

This scenario that is presented reminded me at first read of the "George Zimmerman" case coming up in FL. You have a mindset at first and ask questions later or use deadly force .

Anyway .. 7-15yrs here in OH. My guess.

We would also want to offer the client for a polygraph. He or she would pass. Assuming he truly believed ! Other testimony at trial would consist of family and friends. Family who had also seen BF in the fields and passed that on when the client was young etc.. to establish a core belief. Friends who knew the client to recite how obsessed he or she was with the phenomenon. Also, some psychiatric evalutations by professionals to testify to the clients mental state and his or her thought processing and to add some veracity to their convictions. Still not an easy row to cultivate.

Last edited by AttorneyTom; 10th October 2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Just thought of it...
AttorneyTom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 02:07 AM   #170
Evolved Wookie
A rigidly defined area of doubt and uncertainty

Personally, I rather feel the onus is upon the shooter to be certain he's not shooting at a person.

"I wasn't sure, so I decided 'what the hell' and killed it anyway" does not seem like a good defence.

"No. Liars aren't creative." - Justinian2
Evolved Wookie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 09:54 AM   #171
DennyT
Illuminator

I listened to a recent podcast 39 made by bipto, and it is required listening for those who want to gain more understanding of the "Bigfoot" phenomenon. This large and cohesive Texas group constitutes a major development within the community of believers.

For purposes of this thread, I think listening to this podcast will change your ideas about what might happen if a tragic shooting were to occur.

Last edited by DennyT; 11th October 2012 at 10:04 AM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 09:55 AM   #172
Drewbot
Philosopher

Which podcast? Episode 38,39 or Bipcast 6?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 10:12 AM   #173
Drewbot
Philosopher

Check out this letter Brian Brown of TBRC wrote.

http://www.texasbigfoot.com/index.ph...shoot-bigfootq
Quote:
We will only know success when the wood ape is listed among the world's primates while critics like Mr. Coleman can only succeed if bigfoot remains on the fringes as a cultural oddity.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 11:00 AM   #174
Castro
Muse

^It looks like a response to Loren Coleman's article about his resignation from the Board of Advisors of the TBRC:
http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/no-kill/

Quote:
I find it unfortunate that the members of the Board of Directors of the TBRC are out in the woods, seemingly and randomly, shooting at furry animate objects they feel they should kill to prove the existence of Bigfoot. Besides the unknown legal implications of such behavior (What if the species is found to be Homo? What if it is a human in a hairy suit?), I have been an open advocate of the live capture (telebiology), and non-killing of hairy unknown hominoids for decades.

Last edited by Castro; 11th October 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 11:08 AM   #175
River
Illuminator

The thing that is scary for me to think about in a scenario like the OP is would it change bigfooters perception of there being a real animal? Would they still go out in the woods with guns looking to bag an upright bipedal man like creature?

This dangerous behavior exhibited by the TBRC (or at least by their claims) indeed takes things to a new level. Are people willing to kill someone to try and prove their myth? The TBRC would have you believe they have shot at such a target (upright bipedal) 6 times.

Should law enforcement be approached with this information?

"I've observed 1 creature eating bark from a pine tree and enjoying like it was cotton candy." ― ChrisBFRPKY

Last edited by River; 11th October 2012 at 11:10 AM.
River is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 03:29 PM   #176
DennyT
Illuminator

Bipto
Are you and your group now leaving x until next year?
Any winter sessions planned?
Will there be anyone else on the land in your absence?
Thanks

Oh and thanks also to Mat Latos.

Last edited by DennyT; 11th October 2012 at 03:33 PM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 07:05 PM   #177
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by River View Post
This dangerous behavior exhibited by the TBRC (or at least by their claims) indeed takes things to a new level. Are people willing to kill someone to try and prove their myth? The TBRC would have you believe they have shot at such a target (upright bipedal) 6 times.

Should law enforcement be approached with this information?
Well we know if they are doing this as they say, it seems to be very reckless and not very professional as i understand any hunter should be. I think it is a load of bull and just another BF web site looking for cash.

I am pretty sure by now, if they are indeed shooting at bipedal creatures it would have been investigated, i don't know the laws around that way, but around here if you start shooting at bipeds and have a web site about it, people will be calling their state representatives asking what it going on. I am also sure, there would be a mess of trouble coming from a whole lot of animal rights organizations.

Tim
Old 11th October 2012, 07:22 PM   #178
DennyT
Illuminator

Was anyone else impressed at how the podcast sounded like an infomercial? Bipto is very smooth; the interviews were like testimonials from satisfied customers.
Old 11th October 2012, 08:09 PM   #179
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I tried listening to it but after 5 minutes i just had to give up, back in the day i used to listen to his stuff, and i will say he is cool and can keep ya interested, but when you know the whole thing is a money grab, it just don't work anymore.

Tim
Old 11th October 2012, 08:58 PM   #180
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Was anyone else impressed at how the podcast sounded like an infomercial? Bipto is very smooth; the interviews were like testimonials from satisfied customers.
He should be smooth, he owns a marketing company, and he certainly knows how to sell bigfoot.
He also sells his pretend shooting at bigfoots to the believers.

Last edited by GT/CS; 11th October 2012 at 08:59 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2012, 09:25 PM   #181
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
He should be smooth, he owns a marketing company, and he certainly knows how to sell bigfoot.
The truth will set ya free ~

Tim
Old 11th October 2012, 09:40 PM   #182
Jodie
Philosopher

I listened to it twice, I still don't know if the whole thing is a farce or if they are just egging each other on through the power of suggestion. Either way, I'm not convinced that the place is as remote or unreachable as they say and so I'm hoping no accidents occur.

When ABP did his search for area X he was looking for listings under Branson, who may own more than one parcel of property. Is there a public record available for title changes in land and can that be searched online? I wasn't clear on whether the TBRC bought the hunting lease or whether someone else did and they continued to lease from the new owners. I'ld do that before I reported anything assuming anyone was serious about that. I don't think contacting anyone without knowing where the place is located for a potential accident would really do you any good.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd

Last edited by Jodie; 11th October 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 03:36 AM   #183
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Evolved Wookie View Post
Personally, I rather feel the onus is upon the shooter to be certain he's not shooting at a person.

"I wasn't sure, so I decided 'what the hell' and killed it anyway" does not seem like a good defence.

"I went and shot the maximum the game laws would allow.

Two game wardens, seven hunters,

and a cow."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 06:57 AM   #184
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
"I went and shot the maximum the game laws would allow.

Two game wardens, seven hunters,

and a cow."
Shooting a cow will get you in trouble.
Old 12th October 2012, 07:26 AM   #185
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
Shooting a cow will get you in trouble.
Looked like a sasquatch in 4X4 mode...

They switch between bipedal and quadrupedal, you know...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 09:57 AM   #186
DennyT
Illuminator

I got the impression that they really haven't gotten much of a clear unostructed near-field sunlit look at these supposed wood apes. I'm hearing eye shine, a leg here, an arm there, here a back, there a butt, everywhere a knock knock,
Sorry I got carried away.
I am also a bit uncertain about their photography. First, are they saying they haven't reviewed their trailcam images? Seems improbable.

And are they saying that apes are manipulating trailcams to prevent having their image captured? This would be far fetched even for believers.

The point being they talk a lot about data but have no objective evidence of wood apes.

And do they really not carry cameras?

Last edited by DennyT; 12th October 2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12th October 2012, 11:42 AM   #187
xtifr
Graduate Poster

Was anyone else impressed at how the podcast sounded like an infomercial?
People who are hearing-impaired probably thought it sounded exactly like an infomercial. Or a pop music hit. Or a couple having sex. Or Mozart. Or a cat walking on a piano. Without audio, all of those bear an amazing resemblance!

About the only thing you can guarantee for people on a forum like this is that they all have a way of processing text, either directly or with a screen-reader. If an important point is available only through graphics or audio, it's generally best to at least summarize in text, if at all possible.

In the meantime, my feedback on your podcast is: um, I think that's a podcast. Probably.
-- James Nicoll
xtifr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 12:19 PM   #188
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

And are they saying that apes are manipulating trailcams to prevent having their image captured? This would be far fetched even for believers.
Normal Bigfoots have that ability. I'm not very sure if wood apes can do that.

Tim
Old 12th October 2012, 12:23 PM   #189
Castro
Muse

...The point being they talk a lot about data but have no objective evidence of wood apes...
Actually, they have a place to spend their week-ends with racoons, grouses, deers, black bears, etc...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJrAkf1jBYc
AND they have a "Marketing and Communications Coordinator" who knows his job (and the internet)...That's not so bad :-)
Castro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 12:27 PM   #190
John Albert
Illuminator

Harry and the Remingtons.
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 04:12 PM   #191
clayflingythingy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
You nailed it.
clayflingythingy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th October 2012, 04:28 PM   #192
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by John Albert View Post
Harry and the Remingtons.
I like that ~
I think that would be a great name for us here to use instead of giving the TBRC any more publicity.

Tim
Old 13th October 2012, 06:55 AM   #193
DennyT
Illuminator

This Texas group is at the moment certainly the most interesting part of bigfootery. It is a highly committed, well-financed, well-equipped, well-staffed, and has a geographic base. I hope bipto can persuade some journalist to embed in their operation.
Old 13th October 2012, 07:11 AM   #194
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

That is a great idea. Thumbs up for that one.

Tim
Old 13th October 2012, 07:55 PM   #195
DennyT
Illuminator

I assume that by next year the Sykes DNA study will be published, and if this is negative, I would think it might generate a little restraint among the group. Of course, it would seem incumbent on the group to have biologic material analyzed as well. If they have no Bigfoot DNA, they can hardly maintain credibility regarding their dangerous stance.

Doesn't mean they would care.
Old 13th October 2012, 08:16 PM   #196
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I have this thought that any DNA will just be interpreted pro BF, one way or another they will carry on somehow, this is one of those things that just won't die ~ LOL

As for ~ Harry and the Remingtons ~ They might push it just too far and find themselves in trouble, Or ? will come up with nothing ( a given ) and end up like all the other so called search for BF projects.

Tim
Old 17th October 2012, 05:10 AM   #197
Evolved Wookie
A rigidly defined area of doubt and uncertainty

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Looked like a sasquatch in 4X4 mode...

They switch between bipedal and quadrupedal, you know...
You mean those weren't udders?!?!

"No. Liars aren't creative." - Justinian2
Evolved Wookie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2012, 05:50 AM   #198
Drewbot
Philosopher

The claim of self defense would not work. If you use the TBRC as an example, they have at least one documented incident of a guy unloading 10 12-gauge rounds at one of the beasts, and he couldn't even see it that well, according to the story. You can't claim self defense if you are taking pot shots at the things, through bushes and trees.

If the shooter had killed the WOOD APE, and found it to be the quarterback of a local High School team, the claim of self-defense is not going to be admitted.

A claim of insanity would have to be proffered in order to avoid a charge of 1st or 2nd degree murder. "My client has believed bigfoot to be a real creature since 1989, for 24 years he has been obsessed with proving they exist, he was unable to determine, with regard to Bigfoot what is right or wrong."

Failing to claim the above, a prosecutor would simply have to show that the killer had a reasonable ability to believe that the thing he was shooting was a person in a suit, in order to get a charge of murder.

Shooting someone for Trespassing is 2nd degree murder, planning on shooting a Bigfoot, and then trying to get off by saying the kid in the Bigfoot suit was trespassing, is premeditated.
Old 17th October 2012, 06:21 AM   #199
Pup
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
A claim of insanity would have to be proffered in order to avoid a charge of 1st or 2nd degree murder. "My client has believed bigfoot to be a real creature since 1989, for 24 years he has been obsessed with proving they exist, he was unable to determine, with regard to Bigfoot what is right or wrong."
Not a lawyer here, but wouldn't that only work if one could show that he believed every man in a suit was an actual bigfoot? As long as he believed that even one hoax was just a hoax, he'd be aware that there might be a man in a suit in his sights, and therefore would know it was wrong to fire unless he could ascertain it was actually a bigfoot.

In other words, someone who was totally nuts (<--that's a category in the DSM-IV you know), who thought that even bigfoots in movies were played by real bigfoots, might get away with an insanity plea, because he wouldn't even think he could be killing a man in a suit.

But the law would see right through someone who pled insanity because he believed that some sightings of bigfoot were really bigfoot, because he'd know he might still be shooting at a man in a suit.
Pup is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2012, 06:25 AM   #200
Drewbot
Philosopher

The shooter was so obsessed with proving Bigfoot to be real, that he blocked all of the possibilities that Bigfoot was a man in a suit, from his conscious decisions.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal