IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , lawsuits , sasquatch

Old 17th October 2012, 07:04 AM   #201
DennyT
Illuminator

In the interviews, they say they are now 100% convinced they are seeing wood apes. Perhaps this is a legal strategy. If they parade 50 members of their group to the witness stand all saying that, that is pretty impressive for a jury I would think. Not to mention all the television videos they would show. If the shooter was a combat vet they might try to plead post traumatic stress disorder. Of course, the perp would be portrayed by the OK prosecutor as an ahole Texan. I think some sort of manslaughter would be the likely verdict, depending on who the victim was, etc, and what sort of lawyer the shooter could afford. But would the group finance an expensive lawyer for a slightly whack over-eager shooter? I think not. Then it might come down to whether some criminal lawyer would do the case for free just for the publicity.

Last edited by DennyT; 17th October 2012 at 07:17 AM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2012, 07:09 AM   #202
Drewbot
Philosopher

You just pumped 10 rounds of buckshot into something you were specifically told was most likely a person in a suit.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2012, 05:08 PM   #203
Beanbag
Illuminator

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
In the interviews, they say they are now 100% convinced they are seeing wood apes. Perhaps this is a legal strategy. If they parade 50 members of their group to the witness stand all saying that, that is pretty impressive for a jury I would think. Not to mention all the television videos they would show. If the shooter was a combat vet they might try to plead post traumatic stress disorder. Of course, the perp would be portrayed by the OK prosecutor as an ahole Texan. I think some sort of manslaughter would be the likely verdict, depending on who the victim was, etc, and what sort of lawyer the shooter could afford. But would the group finance an expensive lawyer for a slightly whack over-eager shooter? I think not. Then it might come down to whether some criminal lawyer would do the case for free just for the publicity.
Smile when you say that, Pilgrim.

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

If Jesus is the answer, it must be a real dumb question.
Beanbag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2012, 05:20 PM   #204
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

I wonder if they really sat down and put thought into how they will feel for the rest of their lives if they kill someone. With this subject of BF it will be a long life of constant badgering and harassment for not only the persons responsible, but i would have to think their family's also.

Think long and hard ~ Harry And The Remingtons ~ it's a long life ahead.
Old 17th October 2012, 07:58 PM   #205
Manzer
Student

Are any of you lawyers practicing in Oklahoma? It seems you are giving a lot of "legal" speculation without the benefit of having a legal background.
Manzer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2012, 08:02 PM   #206
Drewbot
Philosopher

No, but I watch a lot of True Crime shows on cable.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2012, 08:17 PM   #207
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by Manzer View Post
Are any of you lawyers practicing in Oklahoma? It seems you are giving a lot of "legal" speculation without the benefit of having a legal background.
Really don't need to be a lawyer do ya ! cause it is very simple. Shoot at a Bigfoot and kill a person, Bigfoot's do not exist they are a fairy tale or myth, people love this kind of thing, some like to pretend they are a BF and will do so, it has been demonstrated time and time again over many years. I just can't for the life of me understand why this BS continues, no only looking for this thing but now some go hunting and justify shooting at it blindly, i feel sorry for anyone in a Ghillie Suit i really do.
Old 17th October 2012, 10:40 PM   #208
Manzer
Student

Are you a lawyer? Do you know the laws in Oklahoma?
Manzer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2012, 11:22 PM   #209
rockinkt
Master Poster

One doesn't have to be a lawyer to know that if you blast away 8 shots with a shotgun at such a close distance with nothing to show for it you are either not competent to have such a deadly weapon in your possession - or you are shooting at imaginary creatures.

Either way - a person like that and the people who support him are a tragedy waiting to happen.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 04:17 AM   #210
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Manzer View Post
Are you a lawyer? Do you know the laws in Oklahoma?
You can't shoot at something you can't see clearly. I think the rangers and police tend to frown on such behavior in every state.

At any rate, I did read this from the OK regs.

Quote:
Shotgun Pellet Size

No person in the field may possess or attempt to harvest any wildlife, except waterfowl and crane, with a shotgun using shot larger than conventional BB (.180 in. diameter).

Hogs are not wildlife, see Hog Regulations for shotgun provisions.
So, unless you are hog hunting, you shouldn't be hunting in OK with buckshot as far as I can tell.

If you are waterfowl hunting, then you'd have birdshot, and be limited to 3 rounds in the magazine.

In general, it seems like the OK wildlife folks would not like you being in the woods with a high capacity shotgun loaded with buckshot.

In order to be legal with a high cap shotgun and buckshot, it looks like you'd have to convince authorities that you were hog hunting.

But that's just from a quick look at the online info, and could be wrong.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/huntregs.htm

Probably, a bigfoot is not considered "wildlife", since it doesn't exist, and it would fall between the regulation cracks.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?

Last edited by LTC8K6; 18th October 2012 at 04:27 AM.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2012, 04:56 PM   #211
Jodie
Philosopher

As you say, just based on reading the web site, I think the fact that it is on private land changes how the regs are applied. There are some regs in the general gun laws section that deal with OC on private land.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 06:06 AM   #212
Drewbot
Philosopher

Anatomy of a Bigfoot Habituation Situation.

Old 26th October 2012, 08:56 AM   #213
DennyT
Illuminator

The probability of a killing or killings of humans by "Bigfoot" hunters moved substantially closer to 1 with the announcement by Spike TV of a 10 million dollar reward. This strikes me as irresponsible, and possibly criminally so. Of course ianal; I could be mistaken. For example, I never thought that Prince Fielder would try to score from first on a no-out double.

Last edited by DennyT; 26th October 2012 at 09:52 AM.
DennyT is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 08:58 AM   #214
GT/CS
Illuminator

There will also be a lot of bears shot and left in the woods.
Old 26th October 2012, 09:02 AM   #215
Drewbot
Philosopher

Reality shows often offer alcohol to participants to 'loosen them up'. I am scared for people.
Old 26th October 2012, 09:53 AM   #216
DennyT
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
... I am scared for people.
Especially Prince Fielder.
Old 26th October 2012, 11:20 AM   #217
John Albert
Illuminator

So what's to stop a pathologically depressed person from putting on a bigfoot costume and strolling through woods where armed bigfoot hunters are known to congregate? I wouldn't be surprised if at some point we start seeing cases of "suicide by cryptozoologist."
“In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”
—Mark Twain
John Albert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 01:49 PM   #218
GT/CS
Illuminator

Well, since the goobers in Oklahoma claim they can't hit a bigfoot from 30 my guess is that would be a poor way to commit suicide. Most Bigfoot hunters would run away, hide in the cabin, and wet themselves.

A better suicide plan would be to walk around where others with beer and guns hang out.

Last edited by GT/CS; 26th October 2012 at 01:52 PM.
GT/CS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 02:26 PM   #219
DozingConsciously
Student

I'm imagining more a scenario where multiple groups in the same area all get into a long-range Reservoir Dogs-type thing when one group opens fire and the next group interprets it as tree knocking and opens fire in their direction, causing a runaway feedback cascade.
DozingConsciously is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 04:14 PM   #220
Beanbag
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DozingConsciously View Post
I'm imagining more a scenario where multiple groups in the same area all get into a long-range Reservoir Dogs-type thing when one group opens fire and the next group interprets it as tree knocking and opens fire in their direction, causing a runaway feedback cascade.
I hate to say this, but there's a screenplay in that idea...

Beanbag

Know god, no peace.
No god, know peace.

If Jesus is the answer, it must be a real dumb question.
Beanbag is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 04:17 PM   #221
mike3
Master Poster

Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
The probability of a killing or killings of humans by "Bigfoot" hunters moved substantially closer to 1 with the announcement by Spike TV of a 10 million dollar reward. This strikes me as irresponsible, and possibly criminally so. Of course ianal; I could be mistaken. For example, I never thought that Prince Fielder would try to score from first on a no-out double.
To me, it sounds like just an evidence challenge. It doesn't explicitly claim they should go out and shoot. Do you think that there should be no Bigfoot evidence challenges? Should we be more careful when demanding evidence from Bigfoot believers, lest they shoot and end up hitting a human?
“Ego is subversive and devolutionary, truly destructive and terrible; ego is the generator of privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Ego is the fire that burns within the pit of hell, devouring and consuming everything that enters and leaving utterly nothing behind. Ego is horrible, cruel, and restraining, the darkness of the world, and the doom and bane of man.” – my reaction to that famous Bertrand Russell quote.

Last edited by mike3; 26th October 2012 at 04:20 PM.
mike3 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2012, 04:52 PM   #222
DennyT
Illuminator

^lol
Name another evidence challenge in which the contestants see the only possible way to win is by killing an upright bipedal North American primate. What will result? And some are already trying to do it.

Should we place a bounty on Santa Claus? Or "be cautious?" do you not think that amount of money will cause some people to be "imprudent?"

Last edited by DennyT; 26th October 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 26th October 2012, 05:06 PM   #223
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by mike3 View Post
To me, it sounds like just an evidence challenge. It doesn't explicitly claim they should go out and shoot. Do you think that there should be no Bigfoot evidence challenges? Should we be more careful when demanding evidence from Bigfoot believers, lest they shoot and end up hitting a human?
Only a body or parts of is going to prove BF is real. So the challenge is for a body or parts, that means having to kill one or find a dead one. Since they are just a myth that leaves shooting at known animals or people in camouflage or posing as BF.

I see this as something that could be very dangerous, my guess is these people proposing the challenge, just don't realize how serious some people take this BF thing.
Old 26th October 2012, 07:08 PM   #224
AlaskaBushPilot
Illuminator

The answer to the OP is found by examining the reasons such an event has never occurred. We don't even have incidents where bear or deer or moose or whatever are shot by people thinking they are bigfoot. Or dead husbands mistaken for bigfoot.

In the examples of the TBRC, it is most telling that the more they talk the more reckless they sound, and criminally so: in Oklahoma, like elsewhere the hunting regs for various species with some exceptions like frogging are from 1/2 hr before sunrise to 1/2 hr after sunset - in other words, for when you can see. Spotlighting in Oklahoma is forbidden, again with special exceptions like frogging.

The incident where the shotgun was fired off numerous times in the daytime led to a settlement of over $2,000.00 to the people who fled from them. Here again they couldn't see what they were shooting at. Or more correctly, they weren't and don't shoot at something looking like a bigfoot in the first place because they know they don't exist so the risk of prosecution is far too high. Paying this money demonstrates they knew what they were doing was reckless and negligent - just shooting off rounds at nothing. If they had shot one of those people they'd be in jail right now, and the immediate payment just for scaring them proves they know this.

There is an incident where Matt Moneymaker is sending an email describing the "assault" on this area X cabin where they are shooting off rounds as Matt is speaking to them on the phone. Who calls a television show personality when they are under attack and fear for their lives? That call is proof they didn't. If they had hit a person then, at night, while on the phone to Matt Moneymaker instead of 911 - straight to jail.

They know "hunting bigfoot" cannot be used in court as a legitimate defense because there is no season for that. So they have no intention of killing anything in the first place. You cannot even kill a deer out of season by saying you were hunting bigfoot.

We can infer that even the craziest are not shooting at an actual "thing" they are seeing. They're purposefully NOT shooting at a living thing, and even that turns out to be recklessly negligent. That's how hard it is to make a case for innocently shooting something looking like bigfoot.

People dressed in a suit are obviously worried about their behavior in that suit. There are plenty of examples of them being filmed. But no examples of them drawing fire. So we don't have examples of people in suits doing things that give a legitimate excuse to fire, like attacking. It doesn't matter if it is a pig or a moose or a live person with no suit on: the legitimate excuse for firing is defense of life and property. So "I thought it was bigfoot" is irrelevant.

So what example can you conjure up where someone is wearing a suit and fired upon? Either the person in the suit is out of their minds and doing something that gets them shot for good reason, or the people who are armed are being criminally negligent.
AlaskaBushPilot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 06:48 AM   #225
Jodie
Philosopher

For once I agree with something ABP has said and the world didn't come to an end as a result. I'm hoping we don't have enough of the details about what they are doing to make a valid judgement.

I can't get past the risk of hurting a person in all of this if you are blindly shooting at things in the dark. Bipto said the other shooting incidents happened at night and gave that as a reason for why the target was missed, I can only form an opinion based on what is said, though. Surely the risk would not be worth it.
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 09:15 AM   #226
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

As usual, the Bigfoot "evidence" is advanced by pro-Bigfoot folks, either to be believed or ignored. I would give more credence to the otherwise exciting stuff in the Oklahoma hills if their group had neutral or even skeptical scientists embedded. And some Radford or Nichols skeptical type expositors.

That they should bring along a journalist is a bad idea, I think. Journalism today is not into exposing as much as it is into promoting. Just today on a tv news broadcast, because of upcoming Halloween, a "journalist" went to a cemetary with "ghost hunters" who had a device that picked up "spirit communication." The reporter did not dig into this amazing feat and presented it straightfoward almost to the point of endorsement.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 09:30 AM   #227
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

Alaska's comments are worth pondering. It is possible that group members are just firing off shots at the local flora, not fauna. The shooting incident of last year was witnessed by no one but the shooter.

If we remove from the table a population of actual Oklahoma apes, a pattern remains. The group spends a couple of years discerning nothing more than tree knocks and woops. More of the same until the dramatic sighting and firing of shots. Then another sighting. Next year all hell breaks loose. Multiple sightings, multiple gun shots. Wood Apes surround in the dark. Wood Apes harassing the Wood Apers via rock and nut bombardments. The whole thing looked at this way comes across as a scenario.

If Alaska is right, we need not worry about innocent hunters or hikers or innocent-less hoaxers getting shot. The aim will be around seven feet off the ground, or higher.

Last edited by jerrywayne; 27th October 2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: adding plural
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 09:43 AM   #228
Ace!
Scholar

Depends on the jurisdiction. In Oregon, Oregon State Police are fish/wildlife hunting law enforcement. I've had the conversation about the legality of hunting bigfoot in Oregon and it was explained to me that bigfoot is not a protected animal/game species in the State of Oregon and there is no reason you couldn't shoot one in Oregon. As they are the experts in fish/wildlife regulations I have to believe what they've stated and it wouldn't any different than a kid wearing a bear or mountain lion costume in the woods.
Ace! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 12:10 PM   #229
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
As usual, the Bigfoot "evidence" is advanced by pro-Bigfoot folks, either to be believed or ignored. I would give more credence to the otherwise exciting stuff in the Oklahoma hills if their group had neutral or even skeptical scientists embedded. And some Radford or Nichols skeptical type expositors.

That they should bring along a journalist is a bad idea, I think. Journalism today is not into exposing as much as it is into promoting. Just today on a tv news broadcast, because of upcoming Halloween, a "journalist" went to a cemetary with "ghost hunters" who had a device that picked up "spirit communication." The reporter did not dig into this amazing feat and presented it straightfoward almost to the point of endorsement.
Three "e"s.
Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine since I work in that field.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:17 PM   #230
Jodie
Philosopher

You see dead people GT/CS?
Old 27th October 2012, 07:28 PM   #231
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
Alaska's comments are worth pondering. It is possible that group members are just firing off shots at the local flora, not fauna. The shooting incident of last year was witnessed by no one but the shooter.
Most likely what's going on, but for them to post such incidents on their web page is cause for concern at some level.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:32 PM   #232
shawmutt
Squirrel Murderer

I've seen something similar to this on the Skate 3 intro...
shawmutt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2012, 07:38 PM   #233
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
You see dead people GT/CS?
Fairly often.
Old 27th October 2012, 07:50 PM   #234
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by shawmutt View Post
I've seen something similar to this on the Skate 3 intro...
That's the image i get in my head also ~ lmao
Old 27th October 2012, 09:08 PM   #235
Jodie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GT/CS View Post
Fairly often.
Old 28th October 2012, 06:36 PM   #236
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

Three "e"s.
Thanks. Missed the spell check.
Old 29th October 2012, 12:07 AM   #237
rockinkt
Master Poster

Three "e"s.
Are you "dead" certain about that spelling?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2012, 04:12 AM   #238
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

I've also heard many times that witnesses would/could not shoot bigfoot because it looked too human.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 08:00 PM   #239
manofthesea
2wu4u

http://triblive.com/news/2821187-74/...rities-charges

Any kooks still think it's okay to send a child into the forest in a fur suit?
manofthesea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2012, 09:03 PM   #240
RedRatSnake
Slithering Through life

Originally Posted by manofthesea View Post
http://triblive.com/news/2821187-74/...rities-charges

Any kooks still think it's okay to send a child into the forest in a fur suit?

First of all it's old news. Second who here has ever mentioned sending there child out into the forest with a Skunk suit on. You feeling ok tonight ? Or is this just another one of those strange / weird posts you hit and run with once in a while.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal