ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags James Comey

Old 22nd March 2017, 05:45 PM   #81
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Is it really my problem, though? You can hold a different opinion, but that in itself is not evidence that my opinion is the "problem".

More specifically, conservatives on this board.
Me, in other words.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:20 PM   #82
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
This, they seem more interested in just "Sticking It" to the "Progs" then in any serious discussion about the size and purpose of Government, etc.
I think this is the first time I've ever seen a progressive member here suggest that a serious discussion about the size and purpose of government might be something they were interested in.

Tell you what: you let me know when you get one of those serious discussions going, and I'll join you there. We can learn a few things from each other, and write off Trump together.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:22 PM   #83
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Me, in other words.

That's one hell of a persecution complex you've got going on. Far be it from me to tell you what to think, though. Have at it.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:52 PM   #84
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
That's one hell of a persecution complex you've got going on. Far be it from me to tell you what to think, though. Have at it.
Well, when the GOP Sent me to the Libtard camp because I wouldn't toe the line, and then they ran me out on a rail because I didn't vote Hillary, I decided that Victimology was the life for me.
I've been here in Purgatory since
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 03:32 AM   #85
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A friend of mine who is pretty conservative is disgusted with Trump because he consider the guy to be totally inept as president; someone who will hurt the conservative movement in the long run. Something some of the Trump defenders here should consider.
Why he is doing what they have dreamed of doing since Reagan. He is being the most successful at dismantling the federal government of any of them.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 03:37 AM   #86
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Just getting back to its roots. The christian right came about when they were forced to admit blacks into their colleges after all. Fighting integration has always been at the core of the christian right.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 04:01 AM   #87
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I mostly agree but with the caveat that they are actually hoping for this to happen sooner than later. The door will be as open to their domestic agenda under Pence as it is under Trump, probably more so, and they will be done with the alliance-harming, Russia-touting antics that I suspect most Republicans consider embarrassing, distracting, dangerous, and undesirable.
Maybe they will finally realize that Russia is the natural ally of conservative america. They agree so much about important issues of God, Guns and Gays after all. They fit together far more than those NATO nations.
Old 23rd March 2017, 04:03 AM   #88
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well, when the GOP Sent me to the Libtard camp because I wouldn't toe the line, and then they ran me out on a rail because I didn't vote Hillary, I decided that Victimology was the life for me.
You got the president you wanted why whine now?

Though it would be an interesting thing to find out, who knew less about how the federal government worked, Trump or Johnson. Johnson admitted he had no idea what the departments he wanted to destroy actually did after all.

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 23rd March 2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 23rd March 2017, 07:02 AM   #89
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Trump probably thinks all Federal employees serve at his pleasure.
That would be one of the misconceptions that comes with thinking that a country could be run like a business.
Old 23rd March 2017, 07:05 AM   #90
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
That would be one of the misconceptions that comes with thinking that a country could be run like a business.
Trump thinks all US citizens are his employees now. He doesn't realise that it's the other way around.
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:44 AM   #91
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It has been pointed out that, even to the extent that the US can be "run like a business," it has to be run like a public controlled business, where you have to answer to folks like shareholders and a board of directors. All of Trump's businesses have been LLCs, where he is boss-in-chief and answers to no one. The US is absolutely NOT anything like that.
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:53 AM   #92
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
It has been pointed out that, even to the extent that the US can be "run like a business," it has to be run like a public controlled business, where you have to answer to folks like shareholders and a board of directors. All of Trump's businesses have been LLCs, where he is boss-in-chief and answers to no one. The US is absolutely NOT anything like that.
I don't think Trump understands that.
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:22 AM   #93
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I don't think Trump understands that.
I think he understands that, doesn't like it, and will take measures to fix that whole 'accountability' thing.
Old 23rd March 2017, 02:27 PM   #94
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps the best thing then is to not care what names and labels people use for you or others, and argue for or against specific policies and practices based on your conclusions and evidence.

Also, they can't actually run you out if you don't leave. Take it from a feminist. :P
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2017, 04:11 PM   #95
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Perhaps the best thing then is to not care what names and labels people use for you or others, and argue for or against specific policies and practices based on your conclusions and evidence.

Also, they can't actually run you out if you don't leave. Take it from a feminist. :P
So who the hell wants to stay in either camp any longer than it takes to figure the lay of the land?
This is from a guy who upgraded his "man card" to a 'homo sapiens" card 40 years ago...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics