ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #2601
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Interesting article on Politico: White House blame game intensifies as Trump agenda stalls

They must be so tired of winning ...
Oddly reminds me of the Nazi party, where everybody was so busy fighting each other in order to get to the top of the pile and impress the leader.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #2602
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
This could explain Trump's demeanor in the photo-op. Trump presents Merkel with the "bill", she explains to little Donny that that there are no dues in NATO, owed to the US or otherwise, and tells him in the nicest way possible what he can do with his bill. Maybe she points out that Germany has spent a ****-ton of money lately for war refugees while he's been trying to bar them from his country. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall...
There are probably legal provisions that would allow Germany to boot U.S. installations out of the country entirely, as France did under DeGaulle. Merkel could mail Trump an eviction notice.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #2603
Bob001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Oddly reminds me of the Nazi party, where everybody was so busy fighting each other in order to get to the top of the pile and impress the leader.
Sometimes the fighting is not so much to get to the top of the pile as to make sure you don't end up at the bottom.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM   #2604
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Spicer's press briefing today:

Sessions: We're going to take away law enforcement grants from sanctuary cities/states because they are not complying with ICE requests.

Spicer: One of Trump's first EOs was to give power back to the states and eliminate federal interference because states know better what they need.

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM   #2605
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

Sessions: We're going to take away law enforcement grants from sanctuary cities/states because they are not complying with ICE requests.

Spicer: One of Trump's first EOs was to give power back to the states and eliminate federal interference because states know better what they need.

I've got to the point where I just simply toss a coin after the Trump administration's press briefings because I found that it is an accurate method to grade its truthfulness.

Heads: It's a lie

Tails: Most likely it's a lie
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #2606
Beelzebuddy
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

They're in damage control mode, which in Trumpland means "say increasingly outrageous stuff until you hit on something so offensive to anyone with common sense that the media starts talking about it instead of their current embarrassing failures."
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #2607
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
I've got to the point where I just simply toss a coin after the Trump administration's press briefings because I found that it is an accurate method to grade its truthfulness.

I think by now we can conclude it may be a trick coin!
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM   #2608
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Your semantic games are fooling no one.

A bull ******* who knows he is including lies in his bull **** is still a lying bull ******* ... or maybe a bull ******** liar.

Still a liar, either way.
See, that's the part that set the two apart.

But that's my last word on this bit. It's just not a big deal in the overall assessment of Trump.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM   #2609
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
See, that's the part that set the two apart.

But that's my last word on this bit. It's just not a big deal in the overall assessment of Trump.
The real definition, or the one in common usage at least here in my parts of the world:
A liar expects you to believe him and needs for you to believe him. He is hurt and upset if doubted, and often becomes angry when the lie is exposed.
A ********ter has no anticipation that you will believe him, is amused if you do and will string it out as far as possible. When you realize the lie, he is both relieved and amused- "Damn! It took you long enough!"-- although he is not above embarrassing you if you're gullible enough
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:02 PM   #2610
Steve
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Give them a break. They only had seven years to work on it. Do you have any idea how complicated health care is?
Nobody realizes how complicated it is.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #2611
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Heads Trump's lying, Tails he's not truthful?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #2612
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Nobody realizes how complicated it is.
I guarantee Hillary does.
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #2613
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I think by now we can conclude it may be a trick coin!

It's a "Heads, I win. Tails, you lose." coin.
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #2614
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
The real definition, or the one in common usage at least here in my parts of the world:
A liar expects you to believe him and needs for you to believe him. He is hurt and upset if doubted, and often becomes angry when the lie is exposed.
A ********ter has no anticipation that you will believe him, is amused if you do and will string it out as far as possible. When you realize the lie, he is both relieved and amused- "Damn! It took you long enough!"-- although he is not above embarrassing you if you're gullible enough

Here's the thing.

The what, why, how, or "good ol' boy" aspects are entirely secondary to the simple fact that it is still, no matter what else, a lie.

To quote from the wisdom of the sainted Sarah Palin, "You can put lipstick on a pig ..."
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #2615
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
There are probably legal provisions that would allow Germany to boot U.S. installations out of the country entirely, as France did under DeGaulle.
I don't think France was in NATO at the time. And they had their own bomb.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #2616
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Bannon oddly reminds me of Bormann, and Kushner of Fegelein.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM   #2617
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

It's a "Heads, I win. Tails, you lose." coin.
Who'd trust Trump around a coin? He'd just steal it.
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #2618
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Who'd trust Trump around a coin? He'd just steal it.
Or mint it.
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM   #2619
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Here's the thing.

The what, why, how, or "good ol' boy" aspects are entirely secondary to the simple fact that it is still, no matter what else, a lie.

To quote from the wisdom of the sainted Sarah Palin, "You can put lipstick on a pig ..."
Yes, but there is a difference. A liar might be embarrassed by being caught out in a lie.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM   #2620
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Yes, but there is a difference. A liar might be embarrassed by being caught out in a lie.

That isn't a difference that matters in any significant way.
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #2621
Stacko
Philosopher

Populism!

Quote:
Companies that commit wage theft and put their workers in harmís way just received a favor from the Trump administration.

President Donald Trump signed a bill Monday repealing a regulation that had encouraged federal contractors to follow labor laws. Under the Obama-era rule, companies with an egregious record of violating wage and safety laws would lose their government contracts if they didnít come into compliance.

The idea behind the rule was to make sure unscrupulous employers didnít receive taxpayer dollars. But Republicans in Congress thought the rule was too punitive and unfair to businesses. They used an arcane tool known as the Congressional Review Act in an effort to kill the regulation, which was called the Fair Pay and Safe Workplaces rule.

By approving the legislation sent to him by the Senate, Trump has ensured not only that the regulation will die, but also that no similar regulation can be put forth by the Labor Department again. Trump signed the legislation at a White House ceremony in front of the press.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #2622
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Trump notches his 13th golf course visit

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/26/politi...olf/index.html

And to think that Trump criticized Obama for playing too much golf.

Hypocrite Trump Is Playing Golf Today, After Years of Criticizing Obama For Golfing

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/02/...ying-golf.html
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM   #2623
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump notches his 13th golf course visit

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/26/politi...olf/index.html

And to think that Trump criticized Obama for playing too much golf.

Hypocrite Trump Is Playing Golf Today, After Years of Criticizing Obama For Golfing

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/02/...ying-golf.html

Yeahbut.

Trump is a power golfer. All that time is being used productively instead of wasted the way Obama did.

How else do you think Trump managed to ensure that his 'Repeal and Replace Obamacare' initiative made it through Congress smoothly and successfully as soon as he took office?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics