ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 3rd August 2020, 09:07 PM   #161
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
He's a fascist, but it's almost accidental. Trump's a fascist for the same reason he's a racist, a sexist, anti-immigration and the same reason for every other personality trait, because it works up the Dems which makes his base love him more.
Sorry, but this is not true. Trump was racist and sexist long before entering politics. He has always been a liar and a grifter with no sense of decency who thinks he is above the law. When Trump demeans people and talks about ******** countries and admires dictators that's not trolling, it's just Trump.

The only thing 'accidental' about Trump's fascism was his getting into a position of power where he could practice it.
Old 4th August 2020, 04:24 AM   #162
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Sorry, but this is not true. Trump was racist and sexist long before entering politics. He has always been a liar and a grifter with no sense of decency who thinks he is above the law. When Trump demeans people and talks about ******** countries and admires dictators that's not trolling, it's just Trump.

The only thing 'accidental' about Trump's fascism was his getting into a position of power where he could practice it.
I think it's quite clear that Trump's generally chauvinistic instincts are genuine expressions of his character, and that directly influences how he sees his role as President.

My point is that I don't think Trump has a deeply thought out fascistic ideology, or any ideology. I don't think he really has any or vision for this country other than remaining personally in power, and I doubt he cares much about what happens after he is gone. I can't imagine Trump caring about his legacy or the future of the nation once he's out of the picture. He's no Hitler planning a thousand year Reich.

It's splitting hairs, because his personal opportunism and approach to politics means that the country is still slipping into an authoritarian fascistic state. Of course, even if he were lose decisively in November and leave politics forever, the damage is already done. He has demonstrated that there is a viable path in this country for right-wing authoritarians and has energized a rabid base that is clamoring for fascism. The next proto-fascist will likely be much more disciplined, strategic, and dangerous.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 4th August 2020 at 04:43 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 05:08 AM   #163
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Given his latest shenanigans with TikTok it really does look more and more like fascism. (State approved industry and state getting a cut for giving property to their chosen company).

However whilst he does have much power I don't think that he has enough to turn the USA into a "real" fascist state, but he's going to do his best* anyway.

*Remember he fails at everything he tries to do, so don't worry you'll just be cleaning up his crap for decades!
Old 4th August 2020, 05:51 AM   #164
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

The Justice Department is attempting to categorize the domestic anti-police, anti-racism protests to a foreign organization under extremely flimsy pretexts. Doing so would allow them to use violate civil right protections for American citizens.

Quote:
While the law generally prohibits intelligence agencies from spying on US residents, many of those protections do not apply if the individual is believed to be acting as an agent of a foreign power.

“Designating someone as foreign-sponsored can make a huge legal and practical difference in the government’s ability to pursue them,” explained Steven Aftergood, who heads the Project on Government Secrecy at the Federation of American Scientists. “It’s a crucial distinction. Once someone (or some group) is identified as an agent of a foreign power, they are subject to warrantless search and surveillance in a way that would be illegal and unconstitutional for any other US person. The whole apparatus of US intelligence can be brought to bear on someone who is considered an agent of a foreign power.”
https://www.thenation.com/article/so...-antifa-syria/

The pretext for this categorization is that a half dozen American leftists traveled to Syria to fight alongside the Kurds in groups like the YPG. This is not unlawful and these people are quite open about their involvement fighting alongside the Kurds. The Kurds were at various points considered US allies in the region.

Yes, it's that idiotic. A handful of leftists traveled to fight with the Kurds and waved a few antifa flags and ****-post on twitter, now the entire BLM movement is being labeled an internationally coordinated terrorist group.

Brace Belden, as witty as ever:

Quote:
“I am not now nor have I ever been a member of any antifa organization,” he told The Nation. “The US government has been spying on and smearing communists for 100 years, but they usually have the decency not to call a Red an anarchist!”
Highly recommend True Anon, the podcast that Belden co-hosts.

It's already absurd to claim that "antifa" is some organized nation-wide movement. Tying it to Kurdish nationals is a further absurdity.

Quote:
“Aside from a single instance derived from open-source reporting, there does not appear to be evidence of a centralized effort to give marching orders to returning ANTIFA-affiliated USPER [US person] foreign fighters once they return to the United States.”

Seems clear that Trump's Justice Department is attempting to label the broad sweep of American leftists as foreign terrorists so that he can legally violate their civil rights.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 4th August 2020 at 06:00 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 06:14 AM   #165
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I think it's quite clear that Trump's generally chauvinistic instincts are genuine expressions of his character, and that directly influences how he sees his role as President.

My point is that I don't think Trump has a deeply thought out fascistic ideology, or any ideology. I don't think he really has any or vision for this country other than remaining personally in power, and I doubt he cares much about what happens after he is gone. I can't imagine Trump caring about his legacy or the future of the nation once he's out of the picture. He's no Hitler planning a thousand year Reich.
And that was my point as well. I wasn't trying to argue that Trump isn't racist or fascist, just that he's not putting a lot of effort into it mentally.

Trump isn't someone we can throw a monkey wrench into his plans because he doesn't have any.
Old 4th August 2020, 06:23 AM   #166
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The Justice Department is attempting to categorize the domestic anti-police, anti-racism protests to a foreign organization under extremely flimsy pretexts. Doing so would allow them to use violate civil right protections for American citizens.

...snip...

Seems clear that Trump's Justice Department is attempting to label the broad sweep of American leftists as foreign terrorists so that he can legally violate their civil rights.
"..While the law generally prohibits intelligence agencies from spying on US residents, many of those protections do not apply if the individual is believed to be acting as an agent of a foreign power.
.."

So that's why the Obama administration was spying on Trump! Good for Trump to let us know.
Old 4th August 2020, 06:30 AM   #167
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

A belated reply to the various Baghdad Bobs who posted upthread, mocking this thread.

I'm embarrased on your behalf. So locked into status quo. So unable to see past the fiction we were all taught about checks and balances. So locked into American superiority. So locked into shallow memes. So locked into it can't happen here. Wake up.
/soapbox
Old 4th August 2020, 06:35 AM   #168
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
As opposed to the Left which wants stalinist style Communist, how is that any better?
This is an example of your fascist overlords telling you to think and you failing to ascertain whether it's actually true.

Telling conservatives scary stories to get them to believe that a dictatorship is the only answer is a standard play for any authoritarian regime. Even supposedly left leaning authoritarian regime use this tactic to scare conservatives into supporting the regime.
Old 4th August 2020, 01:11 PM   #169
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It's bleakly amusing seeing the dictionary definition of fascism. Numbers added:

(1) exalts nation above the individual
(2) exalts race above the individual
(3) stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader
(4) stands for severe economic and social regimentation
(5) stands for forcible suppression of opposition

check, check, check, check, check

(That's the full list. I didn't omit non-applicable bits.)

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics