ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th December 2018, 12:58 PM   #41
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
He's not the only one.

There are several of St. Barbara's Chosen on these boards.
Quote:
The approving authority for this award is the Commanding General, United States Army Field Artillery Center and Fort Sill
Oh that explains everything, I was not a favorite son of the battalion commander

We didn't see eye to eye on my training versus the "Army" way of training.

We were both on the way out of the Army my choice and his being a West Point Graduate that had been passed over twice for promotion to Colonel.

I understood immediately why he was passed over.

Last edited by bknight; 13th December 2018 at 02:15 PM.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2018, 08:10 PM   #42
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Algebra isn't hard, it's just that a lot of people are dumb.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 02:07 PM   #43
rlopez2
Thinker

> Algebra isn't hard, it's just that a lot of people are dumb.

;-)

Well, yes, true (and as a teacher myself I shouldn't be saying that because one of the hopeful functional illusions guiding us is that people are (should be?) able to learn) but here you have too tight and obvious an argument.

Too tight because, well?, it is not only true but there isn't anything to add to it and, second, too obvious. To see that you donít have to go anywhere far; just check the comments of those individuals who consider themselves to be "international skeptics". They seem to go berserk if they have to read a sentence with more of 5 (five) words, but why should they if they can press a button to change the channel of their TV sets, right?

I am amazed to teach 3rd graders who know their time tables all the way to 12 (some to 17), while some adults donít even know by heart the two times table (I am not kidding you, Iíd wish I were) and as you say that doesnít primarily relate to algebra being hard or not.

What I was talking about was all those nonsense memes floating around. You thought that as people communicated better, faster, more directly they would be closer to the truth of matter, right? Most of the comments you find on the Internet are unadulterated, nonsensical junk. Following the safety rule of the five 9s, as they do with all kinds of technical assurance issues, 99.999% of what people talk about are just "freedom of speech" stuff. You would expect that in social context. What I canít quite get is why do we talk blatant ***** about matters relating to the physical and logical sciences when it is so easy to prove something to be true or not. This is something ancient Greeks showed to us some time ago, which IMO is one of the few, finest pieces of intellect the 5th monkey can claim.

Even on wikipedia and expertsí sites you find some blatant nonsense about zero to the zeroth power being "undefined" (in Mathematical analysis when you consider a multi-valued function z = f(x,y)= x^y):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_to_the_power_of_zero

Here is a relatively good, but not that principled discussion about that zero-to-the-zeroth-power being 1 issue:

https://math.stackexchange.com/quest...-power-is-00-1

However, they complicate the answer to that question with valid, but esoteric and contrived arguments while talking about a multi-valued function in the complex plane . . . (which would be a totally different question, like: "do prime numbers have factors in the complex plane?" Well, yes, sure!: 3 = (2 + i)(2 Ė i), but as whole numbers they are prime).

As a few pointed out LíHopital rule is what nicely explains it. Also, the fact that both ln(x) and e^x are continuous bijections equidistant from y=f(x)=x and the integral of (1/x) being ln(x).
rlopez2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2018, 04:48 PM   #44
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rlopez2 View Post
Random words...

Most of the comments you find on the Internet are unadulterated, nonsensical junk.

More random words...
You said it.
Old 15th December 2018, 11:41 PM   #45
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
Oh that explains everything, I was not a favorite son of the battalion commander

We didn't see eye to eye on my training versus the "Army" way of training.

We were both on the way out of the Army my choice and his being a West Point Graduate that had been passed over twice for promotion to Colonel.

I understood immediately why he was passed over.
Yeah I had four BN commanders during my active phase, two were great, the third a Pentagon staff tool sent out to get the necessary Bn Command who was a great person but knew nothing about artillery and the other was just a bad leader who had an amazing ability to annoy everyone. I didn't get a Saint Barbara until well after my battery command and a successful stint as Bde FSO.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories