ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th December 2018, 05:57 AM   #41
HSienzant
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
You believe everything an organization Trutherland is a dystopian nightmare, because in the end you will find that there is no individual and no group that neve tells a lie, so the Trutherlander is reduced to believing that EVERYTHING anyone ever utters is a lie.
Exception to the rule: fellow CTs. They would never lie.

Hank

Hanks ”method” [of requesting evidence] is not going to [get me to] provide any evidence since it has a completely different purpose. To create the the illusion of me not providing evidence when requested to do so.
- Manifesto
HSienzant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 06:26 AM   #42
heymatto70
Scholar

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
? As far as I can see the section is called "Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories" and isn't limited to those related to 9/11.
The thread was started in the 9/11 subforum, then moved here.
heymatto70 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 06:34 AM   #43
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by HSienzant View Post

Hank
Except for the ones who are not True Scotsmen CT's but cognitive infiltrators working on behalf of the great conspiracy to spread false and absurd conspiracy theories to discredit the efforts of the genuine seekers after truth. And the ones taken in by the cognitive infiltrators, of course, are not liars but useful idiots, unless they're really sure of themselves in which case they're cognitive infiltrators too.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 08:36 AM   #44
carlitos
"más divertido"

Ouch.

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
Do you not read any news papers, magazines, watch the news, or read history books written by mentally sound people?

John O'Neil went to YEMEN, not Iraq, and more or less got himself kicked out by US Ambassador to Yemen, Barbara Bodine, not April Glaspie, due to his lack of people skills. He wasn't tracking bin Laden, he was there to investigate the USS Cole bombing.

And no, bin Laden never worked for the CIA. Like you, he felt it was a Zionist controlled cabal.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 09:05 AM   #45
rambaldi
Thinker

Originally Posted by HSienzant View Post
Even if their claims are mutually exclusive or easily checked to be wrong...

Besides, Conspiraholics are perfectly fine believing any "official" statements as long as they assume it supports their own beliefs.
rambaldi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 04:10 PM   #46
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by heymatto70 View Post
The thread was started in the 9/11 subforum, then moved here.
Ah, thanks. I spend so little time in the conspiracy subforums that I didn't even realise there was a specific 9/11 subforum anymore, though I was pretty sure that there had been one at some point.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2018, 04:30 PM   #47
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
Even if their claims are mutually exclusive or easily checked to be wrong...

Besides, Conspiraholics are perfectly fine believing any "official" statements as long as they assume it supports their own beliefs.
Hell, it's not all that unusual for a single conspiracy theorist to believe in mutually exclusive claims, as long as those claims fit their general "the powers that be are evil" belief system.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 02:11 AM   #48
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Ah, thanks. I spend so little time in the conspiracy subforums that I didn't even realise there was a specific 9/11 subforum anymore, though I was pretty sure that there had been one at some point.
For admitting you were wrong, you are hereby banished from the Conspiracy Theories forum. We don't want to encourage that sort of thing round here.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 04:28 AM   #49
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Now that is new to me and right on.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2018, 11:08 AM   #50
Allen773
Muse

Both the US and the Gulf monarchies were secretly (well, more overtly and consistently in the latter case) supporting Saddam in the Iran-Iraq War, which was, needless to say, a humanitarian calamity with massive military and civilian casualties on both sides. The war ended basically in a stalemate in 1988. Saddam had been heavily financed by Kuwait and Saudi Arabia in his war effort, but he was supplying the bodies and firepower against Iran. He was on the front lines, not them.

Saddam wanted debt forgiveness and more credit, recognition, and gratitude for defending the Arab world against the despised Ayatollahs of Tehran. The Kuwaitis refused. One thing led to another, and...well, Saddam's anger boiled so hot that he decided to invade Kuwait, to the surprise and horror of the Saudis and the US.

Last edited by Allen773; 20th December 2018 at 11:16 AM.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2018, 08:35 PM   #51
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Originally Posted by Allen773 View Post
Saddam wanted debt forgiveness and more credit, recognition, and gratitude for defending the Arab world against the despised Ayatollahs of Tehran. The Kuwaitis refused. One thing led to another, and...well, Saddam's anger boiled so hot that he decided to invade Kuwait, to the surprise and horror of the Saudis and the US.

I think things would have gone a whole lot more smoothly for him had he not been a raving lunatic.

ETA: But I do agree that this whole "enemy of my enemy" thing the US has had going on since at least WWII has just been a total disaster.

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 21st December 2018 at 08:36 PM.
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories