ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th January 2019, 10:10 PM   #1
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

George Soros and the Koch Brothers and the CIA are censoring facebook!

Err...too wild to not go in CT's, but I'm not making this up.
I just got a bizarre facebook notification for one of my groups saying:

Quote:
False Rating on Content Shared in Interesting, reasonable people
A member of Interesting, reasonable people shared content that's been rated False by
Factcheck.org."

To fight false news, Facebook pushes misleading content farther down in News Feed and provides additional articles on the same topic.
If a group repeatedly shares false news, Facebook may push all of that group's content down in News Feed, which may mean fewer people visit the group. Facebook may also stop suggesting that people join the group."
Learn more about how fact-checking works on Facebook.
Clicking "learn more" sends me here:

https://www.facebook.com/help/publisher/182222309230722

Quote:
Third-Party Fact-Checking on Facebook
Learn about fact-checking on Facebook or see below for FAQs that are relevant to publishers.

Q: WHO ARE FACEBOOK'S THIRD-PARTY FACT-CHECKING PARTNERS?

A: We work with many third-party fact-checkers certified through a non-partisan International Fact-Checking Network. See table below.
Googled the highlighted, and this is all I can find:

https://www.poynter.org/tag/internat...cking-network/

Go to their "funders" page and you get:

https://www.poynter.org/major-funders/

Quote:
Funders
Charles Koch Foundation

Democracy Fund

John S. and James L. Knight Foundation

Lumina Foundation

MacArthur Foundation

National Endowment for Democracy

Newmark Philanthropies

Newton & Rochelle Becker Charitable Trust

Omidyar Network

Open Society Foundations

Peter & Carmen Lucia Buck Foundation

Philadelphia Foundation

Robert R. McCormick Foundation

Tides Foundation (Google.org)
About the NED, from Jacobin magazine:
https://jacobinmag.com/2018/03/trump...foreign-policy

Quote:
Simply put, the NED has since its inception been more of a tool for US political interests than an inoffensive vehicle for democracy promotion, an instrument for overtly carrying out the kinds of influence operations the CIA used to carry out covertly.
Quote:
A wary Congress only agreed to create the NED in 1983 on the condition that the CIA not be involved, something then-CIA director William Casey promised, but didn’t follow through on: at the last minute he had language prohibiting the involvement of CIA personnel removed from the bill. The NED also appears to have been Casey’s idea in the first place; he wrote a White House official that he was in favor of a “National Endowment in support of free institutions throughout the world.”

The NED was initially placed under the auspices of the National Security Council and one Walter Raymond, Jr, a CIA propaganda expert who, according to the late Robert Parry, for years acted as liaison between the program and Casey. Raymond also drew charming doodles like this, depicting himself as a literal puppeteer controlling many different strings.
Quote:
The NED walked into controversy early when it crossed paths with the Iran-Contra scandal. For example, Oliver North named his portfolio of covert activities “Project Democracy,” which raised eyebrows because that also happened to be what the NED had been called in its incipient stages. But there was more to it than just the name. Raymond, who oversaw the NED, was a close colleague of North, and part of the White House Working Group on Central America, which helped coordinate pro-Contra projects. Later there emerged a secret 1982 White House memo on the minutes of a cabinet meeting discussing “Project Democracy.” It read: “We need to examine how law and Executive Order can be made more liberal to permit covert action on a broader scale, as well as what we can do through substantially increased overt political action.” All of it suggested that the two programs — one secret, one public — were two sides of the same coin.
eta:
Another link on the NED.

Last edited by kellyb; 16th January 2019 at 11:38 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 12:01 AM   #2
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Possibly relevant:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...UzL/story.html
Quote:
Trump’s budget for the coming fiscal year proposes to gut the National Endowment for Democracy by cutting two-thirds of its budget. The endowment is one of the main instruments by which the United States subverts and undermines foreign governments. In a less Orwellian world, it might be called the “National Endowment for Attacking Democracy.” Cutting the budget would signal that we are re-thinking our policy of relentlessly interfering in the politics of other countries.
Quote:
President Ronald Reagan established the program in 1983, following years of scandals that tarnished the Central Intelligence Agency. Soon it took over many of the tasks that the CIA used to perform. When the United States wanted to interfere in the Italian election of 1948, for example, the CIA did the job. Decades later, when Washington sought to push its favored candidate into the presidency of Nicaragua, our instrument was the National Endowment for Democracy. More recently, it has sought to influence elections in Mongolia, Albania, Bulgaria, and Slovakia. “A lot of what we do today was done covertly 25 years ago by the CIA,” one of the organization’s founders explained during the 1990s.
Old 17th January 2019, 08:10 AM   #3
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

This does not strike me as a compelling argument:

https://www.poynter.org/newsletters/...t-vilify-them/
Quote:
Several commenters called fact-checkers censors. This misunderstands their role. They annotate posts and Facebook down ranks them on News Feed so they can’t go viral.
"You're not being censored - you can still say whatever you want. We're just making sure nobody can hear what you're saying. Totally different, see?"
Old 17th January 2019, 08:37 AM   #4
ahhell
Master Poster

So will the anti-Soros crowd now vilify the Kochs for working with the devil and vice versa?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th January 2019, 09:11 AM   #5
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
So will the anti-Soros crowd now vilify the Kochs for working with the devil and vice versa?
I'm wondering that, too.

Now would be a good time to be a general-purpose Illuminati theorist. LOL

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories