ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity opinions , comedians , george carlin

Old 30th March 2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Bubba
Master Poster

George Carlin

Years ago, George Carlin saw what was going on:

Quote:
Here is how George Carlin put it:

..."Politicians are put there to give you the idea that you have freedom of choice. You don’t. You have no choice. You have owners. They own you. They own everything. They own all the important land. They own and control the corporations. They’ve long since bought and paid for the Senate, the Congress, the state houses, the city halls. They got the judges in their back pockets and they own all the big media companies, so they control just about all of the news and information you get to hear. They got you by the balls. They spend billions of dollars every day lobbying. Lobbying to get what they want. Well, we know what they want – they want more for themselves and less for everybody else.

But I’ll tell you what they don’t want – they don’t want well-informed, well-educated people capable of critical thinking… They want obedient workers, people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork. And just dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly ******** jobs with the lower pay, the longer hours, the reduced benefits, the end of overtime and vanishing pension that disappears the minute you go to collect it. And now they’re coming for your Social Security money. They want your ****in’ retirement money. They want it back so they can give it to their criminal friends on Wall Street. And you know something? They’ll get it. They’ll get it all from you sooner or later ’cause they own this ****in’ place. It’s a big club and you ain’t in it. You and I are not in the big club…

The table is tilted folks. The game is rigged and nobody seems to notice… Nobody seems to care. That’s what the owners count on. They don’t give a **** about you. They don’t care about you at all! The fact that Americans will probably remain willfully ignorant of the big red, white and blue dick that’s being jammed up their ******** every day, because the owners of this country know the truth… It’s called the American Dream, ’cause you have to be asleep to believe it...."

Last edited by Bubba; 30th March 2015 at 03:46 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2015, 06:16 PM   #2
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

George Carlin liked hyperbole because it is funny.

What do you suggest?
Old 30th March 2015, 06:23 PM   #3
Hans
Philosopher

George was a multimillionaire and yeah he use to make up stuff....
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2015, 06:28 PM   #4
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

He also said: ****, piss, ****, ****, **********, ************, and tits.
Old 30th March 2015, 06:43 PM   #5
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
That was a good one. Here is another of his gems:

"The planet will be here for a long, long — LONG — time after we're gone, and it will heal itself; it will cleanse itself, because that's what it does. It's a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover; the earth will be renewed; and, if it's true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new pardigm: the Earth plus plastic!
And I am sure the planet will defend itself in the manner of a large organism, like a beehive or an ant colony, and muster a defense. I am sure the planet will think of something. What would you do if you were the planet trying to defend against this pesky, troublesome species? "Let's see... What might... Hmm.. Viruses! Viruses might be good. They seem vulnerable to viruses. And, uh...viruses are tricky, always mutating and forming new strains whenever a vaccine is developed. Perhaps, this first virus could be one that compromises the immune system of these creatures. Perhaps a human immunodeficiency virus, making them vulnerable to all sorts of other diseases and infections that might come along. And maybe it could be spread sexually, making them a little reluctant to engage in the act of reproduction."
Old 30th March 2015, 06:59 PM   #6
Jango
Graduate Poster

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel//u...s/3/35/Ego.jpg
Jango is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2015, 09:30 PM   #7
mgidm86
Philosopher

This is in the conspiracy theories section?

Anyways, right or wrong, George Carlin was awesome.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2015, 10:29 PM   #8
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Agreed.

Originally Posted by The Foole
* 21 People Killed in 21-gun Salute
* Welcome Wagon runs over Newcomer
* Good Humor Man slays 10
* Pen Pal stabs Pal with Pen
* Off-duty policeman shot by on-duty criminal
* Man with powersaw has been hit by falling tree

Police fired over the heads of rioters today, however they killed 200 people living on the second floor.

A milwaukee man has been arrested for attempting to use food stamps to mail a watermelon.

71 people suffered numerous gunshot wounds in the feet today as two armed midgets ran amuck in a downtown bar. Patrons of the tavern claim the two entered riding horsey-back, and the trouble started when the one on the bottom began to get drunk. In addition to the foot wounds, extensive damage to the baseboards and electrical outlets was also reported.

Here are the results of the latest gallup poll: it seems that 48 percent of the people were not home, 32 percent of the people made believe they weren't home, and 20 percent of the people have no front door.

A physician in florida claims he's treating a 107 year old woman who is pregnant! He claims that because of her advance age, she will have a grown-up.

A dog exploded on a busy downtown street corner today. Nobody was injured, however 20 people were overcome by fur. Police also estimate that somewhere between 100 and 150 fleas also lost their lives in the blast.

Out at the lake in city park today, police arrested a one-armed man who was annoying the other boaters by continuously rowing in a circle.

A man has barricaded himself inside of his house at the corner of Main and Butler, however he is not armed and nobody is paying any attention to him.

Tonights weather forecast: Dark. Continued mostly dark tonight, followed by widely scattered light in the morning.

The food and drug administration announced today that saliva causes stomach cancer. However, only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

To kind of wind up the news today, a team of medical scientists announced that they have discovered a cure for apathy. However, they claim nobody has shown the slightest bit of interest in it.
George knew. The world is a poorer place for his absence but much richer for his contribution.
Old 30th March 2015, 10:32 PM   #9
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

His "angry man" schtick gold old rather quickly for me. But it was smart on his part because he saw that's how we were going......everyone's outraged! They may not know why but rest assured they'll find a reason.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2015, 11:03 PM   #10
Ape of Good Hope
Graduate Poster

I'd say George Carlin was broadly correct,
(but riffed on paranoia for comedic effect)

(I'm a poet and I know it)
Ape of Good Hope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2015, 11:42 PM   #11
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

He's dead now.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 12:16 AM   #12
Joey McGee
Banned

Spamming the forum trying to recruit people for the twoof cult. It's like Scientologists, look at all the celebrities we have! He wasn't one of you...
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 04:57 AM   #13
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

Blessed be St. George of the Carlin.
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 05:21 AM   #14
Armitage72
Master Poster

The routine that always sticks in my mind was when he said in 1999 that terrorists attacking the United States would be exciting and entertaining and since you personally weren't likely to be killed, you may as well sit back and enjoy the show.

Maybe if you're a sociopath with no ability to empathize with others...
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 05:35 AM   #15
Dog Town
Banned

Next up...Bill Hicks!
Dog Town is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 05:48 AM   #16
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Too bad the evil media owners never let George speak to the millions, he was forced to keep hit mouth shut, had to abandon his dream and died a poor man.

Oh wait...
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 05:49 AM   #17
Cayvmann
Muse

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The routine that always sticks in my mind was when he said in 1999 that terrorists attacking the United States would be exciting and entertaining and since you personally weren't likely to be killed, you may as well sit back and enjoy the show.

I believe that was the point...
Cayvmann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 05:56 AM   #18
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
I believe that was the point...
Wait ... are you saying ... Carlin employed sarcasm? Why?? I mean he didn't want his audience to laugh or something?
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 06:25 AM   #19
Armitage72
Master Poster

That particular bit was part of a rant about how people have gotten too soft and are too obsessed with being "safe" and he found the possibility of getting blown up while out shopping to be exciting.

http://george-carlin-scripts.blogspo...ed-script.html

Quote:
The odds of you being killed by a terrorist are practically zero! So I say relax and enjoy the show. You have to be a realist; you have to be realistic about terrorism. Certain groups of people... certain groups – Muslim fundamentalists, Christian fundamentalists, Jewish fundamentalists, and just plain guys from Montana – are gonna continue to make life in this country very interesting for a long, long time. That’s the reality; angry men in combat fatigues talking to God on a two-way radio and muttering incoherent slogans about freedom are eventually going to provide us with a great deal of entertainment, especially after your stupid *********** economy collapses all around you and the terrorists come out of the woodwork and you’ll have anthrax in your water supply, and saran gas in your air conditioner, there’ll be chemical and biological suitcase bombs in every city and I say “enjoy it, relax, enjoy the show, take a *********** chance, put a little fun in your life.” To me, terrorism is exciting, it’s exciting. I think the very idea that you could set off a bomb in a marketplace and kill several hundred people is exciting and stimulating and I see it as a form of entertainment! Entertainment... that’s all it is. Yeah... but I also know that most Americans are soft and frightened and unimaginative and they don’t realize there’s such a thing as dangerous fun. And they certainly don’t recognize a good show when they see one! I have always been willing to put myself at great personal risk for the sake of entertainment and I’ve always been willing to put you at great personal risk for the same reason.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 08:01 AM   #20
Joey McGee
Banned

This bit ^^^

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 08:02 AM   #21
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post

Once I hit college and heard Class Clown (1986, long after it was all that topical), I fell in love with Carlin and began collecting his stuff.

Later, I lost interest somewhat, as his natural antagonism diverged somewhat further from my tendencies, especially whenever it seemed to display a kind of willingness to suppose the worst.

But I'm still a bit surprised by how you paraphrase him. Could you provide a cite? To be honest, it could well be that his comment was not really about the entertainment value of terrorism so much as the regrettable fact that humans seem to be titillated by violence around them. And that seems to be a fact. I was (in a sense) thrilled by the events surrounding the Boston marathon bombing, even while recognizing that very bad things happened to persons I don't know. It's not a pleasant feature of human nature, but I think it's a real feature of human nature.

So, may I read/hear the commentary you mention? I suspect that Carlin was treating this aspect of humanity in the same way he discussed the thrill of car races: Where else can I see a twenty car pileup without being in the damned thing? (Paraphrased, perhaps)

ETA: Transcript provided, so request unnecessary.

I'm not personally offended by the transcript, but humor is a subtle thing which may well upset one person and not another. Carlin was pretty clearly intentionally provocative.

Last edited by phiwum; 31st March 2015 at 08:06 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 08:04 AM   #22
Joey McGee
Banned

Bubba, look big fella, I'm gonna give you one for free.

Carl Sagan is as close to a God as any of us have here. Good buddies with Randi. I think Neil de Grasse Tyson has a personal shrine to him somewhere in his house. And his son is a 9/11 truther, hardcore conspiracy theorist. Why don't you go spreading that around, and see if anyone gives a ****.

(From his first marriage, Lynn Margulis became a kook after they were divorced and clearly indoctrinated her son)

Last edited by Joey McGee; 31st March 2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 31st March 2015, 08:07 AM   #23
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joey McGee View Post
Bubba, look big fella, I'm gonna give you one for free.

Carl Sagan is as close to a God as any of us have here.
Bullhonkies.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 08:10 AM   #24
Joey McGee
Banned

Yeah I clearly meant it as in respect for a person based on their merits and would be interested in the fact they were a twoofer but whatever. I heard this podcast where someone said that Carl Sagan never washed a dish or cooked a meal in his marriages like that was a bad thing, you know, he wasn't perfect...

Last edited by Joey McGee; 31st March 2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 31st March 2015, 08:11 AM   #25
Joey McGee
Banned

Anyway I have seen some conversations and articles where people made a fanatical big deal out of this kid being a truther, it was life-affirming for them by the sounds of it.
Old 31st March 2015, 05:06 PM   #26
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

The most accurate thing Carlin ever said: "The weather for tonight: Dark, with widely scattered light in the morning."

Like with everything else he said, if you take it seriously, you're doing it wrong.
Old 2nd April 2015, 08:34 AM   #27
Border Reiver
Philosopher

I was able to take EVERYTHING he did with Thomas the Tank Engine seriously.
Old 2nd April 2015, 09:50 AM   #28
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
I was able to take EVERYTHING he did with Thomas the Tank Engine seriously.
Yeah, but considering that all took place on the Island of Sodor...
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:23 AM   #29
carlitos
"más divertido"

Cannabis really can trigger paranoia
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:46 AM   #30
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
That's what they want us to think.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:53 AM   #31
calebprime
moleman

The "paranoia" here being almost an entirely different animal than the paranoia caused by stimulants or the kind seen in paranoid schizophrenia.

Psychiatrists used to say that amphetamine psychosis was hard to tell from schizophrenia, except it went away without the drug.

Also, in the study, they're injecting pure THC. A bit different from smoking.

Then, there's the setting. Much depends on whether it was friendly or not.

I'm not saying the stuff is good for everyone, or that young people with developing brains should smoke it all the time. They shouldn't.

I am saying that the takeaway should not be: Paranoia is a thing, a well-defined thing. Anything that makes you more suspicious sometimes is a contributing factor.

This is a kind of confusion caused by ordinary language vs. psychiatric language, similar to the confusion about "depression".
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:17 AM   #32
Joey McGee
Banned

Amazing. We should find out if cannabis really can give you the munchies.

Besides there's a cure for weed paranoia, chewing on black peppercorns. Neil Young said that on the Howard Stern show, and some science backs up the idea, but we all know that if Neil Young said it, there is truth there.

http://www.marijuana.com/news/2014/1...uced-paranoia/

Commercially produced cannabis high in THC but low in CBD due to demand for product that gets you high, not takes care of your your head. This is a well-known fact, if you want to avoid weed paranoia as much as possible you find a strain that has had it's THC and CBD measured and is labelled.

A documentary called "The Downside of High" by David Suzuki explored how these high THC strains can trigger later mental illness and breakdowns. Guess what a good treatment for schizophrenia is? Of course, CBD.

So we're not going to legalize in spite of this "bathtub gin" we're going to legalize because of it.

See, weed information is very complex and doesn't do well with motivated reasoning...

Last edited by Joey McGee; 3rd April 2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 3rd April 2015, 10:14 AM   #33
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Carlin is like Bill Hicks:A guy who could be very funny, but who bought into a lot of conspiracy crap..

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:12 PM   #34
Joey McGee
Banned

Orders of magnitude of difference...
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:14 PM   #35
epepke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
He also said: ****, piss, ****, ****, **********, ************, and tits.
Not to mention fart, turd, and twat.

"There's no evidence that the 9-11 attacks (whoever did them) were deliberately attacking civilians. On the contrary the targets appear to have been chosen as military."
-DavidByron
epepke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2015, 01:19 PM   #36
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

I can't really speak about george carlin beaing serious, but the best comedian take serious issue and drap them in comedy in a way to make people think and laugh at the same time.

There is definitively a concentration of wealth at the top, and the way our economical and bank system are set up, there is no indication that the trend will brake or even reverse. It is not about conspiracy theory , it is about simple math. At some point the system will land us in a dystopian future, or it will break down. I tend to think it will break down in a very bloody way : if you have nothing to lose...
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2015, 06:30 PM   #37
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I can't really speak about george carlin beaing serious, but the best comedian take serious issue and drap them in comedy in a way to make people think and laugh at the same time.

There is definitively a concentration of wealth at the top, and the way our economical and bank system are set up, there is no indication that the trend will brake or even reverse. It is not about conspiracy theory , it is about simple math. At some point the system will land us in a dystopian future, or it will break down. I tend to think it will break down in a very bloody way : if you have nothing to lose...

Suppose history teaches that powerful people (and madmen) tend to consolidate power.

I dont know if that is true, but it sounds like some human nature I've seen.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2015, 06:38 PM   #38
Joey McGee
Banned

It's quite the debate, I recommend jumping in about here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital...-First_Century
Old 4th April 2015, 07:50 PM   #39
Hans
Philosopher

In the late 18th century 85% of the wealth (mainly land) of the UK was concentrated within 300 of the wealthiest families. In France it was more disbursed but the same concentration was also true for other European states with money/land/power being concentrated in the noble classes. In other places the concentration of wealth was even more centralized.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2015, 06:54 AM   #40
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
That was a good one. Here is another of his gems:

"The planet will be here for a long, long — LONG — time after we're gone, and it will heal itself; it will cleanse itself, because that's what it does. It's a self-correcting system. The air and the water will recover; the earth will be renewed; and, if it's true that plastic is not degradable, well, the planet will simply incorporate plastic into a new pardigm: the Earth plus plastic!
And I am sure the planet will defend itself in the manner of a large organism, like a beehive or an ant colony, and muster a defense. I am sure the planet will think of something. What would you do if you were the planet trying to defend against this pesky, troublesome species? "Let's see... What might... Hmm.. Viruses! Viruses might be good. They seem vulnerable to viruses. And, uh...viruses are tricky, always mutating and forming new strains whenever a vaccine is developed. Perhaps, this first virus could be one that compromises the immune system of these creatures. Perhaps a human immunodeficiency virus, making them vulnerable to all sorts of other diseases and infections that might come along. And maybe it could be spread sexually, making them a little reluctant to engage in the act of reproduction."
Every single thing about this "gem" is wrong - it's impressive that way, actually. It's a bunch of woo crap, but because George Carlin's the one who said it I suppose it's okay to "reinterpret" it as something other than woo crap.

Originally Posted by Ape of Good Hope View Post
I'd say George Carlin was broadly correct,
(but riffed on paranoia for comedic effect)
Except that there's no reason to believe that. There's absolutely no positive reason to believe that George Carlin wasn't some paranoid woo misanthrope who found human suffering entertaining, but only pretended be to during his shows to be "ironic", or to "riff on" people who are really like that, or to make some kind of subtle statement about "modern society". When he wanted to say something about society, he said it explicitly - "people these days are too concerned with X, whereas I am different because I think Y". I believe he was honest about what he thought and felt, and that he was exactly as he presented himself - a misanthrope. I think people who became fans of his based mostly on his early material, or because of his outspoken atheism, are straining credulity to explain away his more hateful or unhinged rants because they don't want to give him up as an icon.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories