ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags celebrity opinions , comedians , george carlin

Old 8th April 2015, 07:06 AM   #41
wea
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Every single thing about this "gem" is wrong -
I'm learning english, I thought the word was "fun", now I know it's "wrong"
wea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2015, 01:07 PM   #42
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
In the late 18th century 85% of the wealth (mainly land) of the UK was concentrated within 300 of the wealthiest families. In France it was more disbursed but the same concentration was also true for other European states with money/land/power being concentrated in the noble classes. In other places the concentration of wealth was even more centralized.

I can't remember if it was here or on another forum, but I remember someone telling a story about teaching a college history class. When discussing the wealthy European nobles of this period, the instructor asked if anyone knew how they had obtained their wealth. The class, almost in unison, responded "hard work".
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2015, 01:28 PM   #43
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Suppose history teaches that powerful people (and madmen) tend to consolidate power.

I dont know if that is true, but it sounds like some human nature I've seen.
It is. I don't think anybody would denie that. but still *politician* supposedly should know better still stand by trickle down and all that nonsense. Despite the evidence that this does not work. And never had.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2015, 02:55 PM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Joey McGee View Post
Orders of magnitude of difference...
OH, I think Carlin was by far the better comedian,but I do think both of them did buy into a lot of nonsense.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2015, 03:19 PM   #45
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I can't remember if it was here or on another forum, but I remember someone telling a story about teaching a college history class. When discussing the wealthy European nobles of this period, the instructor asked if anyone knew how they had obtained their wealth. The class, almost in unison, responded "hard work".
Well for many of their ancestors it was a task of warfare and political scheming which could be considered 'hard work', later generations had it a tad easier but still few nobles of the present time retain any great wealth or power. A few do but often from non-noble pursuits or of being in 'zoos'.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2015, 03:43 PM   #46
Joey McGee
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
OH, I think Carlin was by far the better comedian,but I do think both of them did buy into a lot of nonsense.
Carlin was more philosophical and is not on record buying into the major conspiracy theories whereas Hicks promoted them. Orders of magnitude stands.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2015, 09:15 PM   #47
Bubba
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Joey McGee View Post
Carlin was more philosophical and is not on record buying into the major conspiracy theories whereas Hicks promoted them. Orders of magnitude stands.
Carlin agreed there should be a new investigation of 9/11, on video, while he was signing books in a bookstore. Just sayin, not that it proves anything.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2015, 09:23 PM   #48
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Carlin agreed there should be a new investigation of 9/11, on video, while he was signing books in a bookstore. Just sayin, not that it proves anything.
No, he didn't.
Old 9th April 2015, 10:50 PM   #49
carlitos
"más divertido"

A lie.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2015, 07:30 AM   #50
Joey McGee
Banned

Bubba you're significantly hanicapping yourself by not examining and rethinking claims before posting them. My favorite is when you said Randi lied about psychic dogs in a conspiracy to cover-up false positives in the paranormal. I mean, that's funny to me. So are comments like "Still cant believe that anyone thinks muslims did 911. Mental ****ers." the top comment on the george carlin video.
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2015, 09:35 PM   #51
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Oh it was hard work, undoubtedly!
Just not theirs
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2015, 09:45 PM   #52
Joey McGee
Banned

Ouch! Strike one for the new world order
Old 12th April 2015, 09:31 PM   #53
Allen773
Muse

Didn't Carlin pride himself on being a skeptic? Just because he said some sh*t about some stuff ( ) doesn't make him right. He could be dead-on on some things and full of it on others. As we all are, to one extent or another.

Part of critical thinking is critiquing and reevaluating your own position, especially in light of the evidence. CT'ers miss that part, perhaps deliberately, as they focus all their incoherent rambling "theories" and "questions" on the "NWO" or "the government" or "the Powers That Be."

I liked Carlin, but don't take his word as Gospel. I don't think even he would appreciate that (and not just for religious reasons )
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 02:05 PM   #54
shankara
Scholar

George Carlin

I figured I'd put this in the Conspiracy Theory section because it seems that Conspiracy Theorists is what we label people who speak against the powers that be.

What They Don't Want You To Know
shankara is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 02:25 PM   #55
fagin
Philosopher

So what don't they want you to know?

As I don't watch random Youtube videos.
Old 7th February 2019, 02:52 PM   #56
carlitos
"más divertido"

Discussed here previously. I'm asking for a merge.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=290961
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 03:08 PM   #57
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of the time it's not what you don't know that hurts you, but what you know that ain't so.
That applies to conspiracy loons in spades.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 03:16 PM   #58
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

Great answer.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 03:40 PM   #59
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

I watched a little of it. It's a rant about how we're all puppets of the power elite, and stuff like that. Carlin has been dead for over a decade, so I suspect that the novelty of the information is getting a little stale. It's like a few years ago the constant spam I was getting for the forbidden CD. Send away now and get the secret CD nobody has ever heard of full of secrets nobody is allowed to know. Or before that the big shiny mass market books of secrets nobody is supposed to know.

One is reminded a bit of the old Beyond the Fringe sketch about "the Aftermyth of War:" Please, sir, I want to join the few! I'm sorry, there are far too many.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 04:04 PM   #60
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Is this like that letter on the dangers of aspartame that makes a new email round about every 5 years? Carlin died a decade ago.
Old 7th February 2019, 04:06 PM   #61
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently someone remixed a George Carlin bit into a Super Serious Revolutionary Manifesto
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 04:13 PM   #62
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I watched a little of it. It's a rant about how we're all puppets of the power elite, and stuff like that. Carlin has been dead for over a decade, so I suspect that the novelty of the information is getting a little stale. It's like a few years ago the constant spam I was getting for the forbidden CD. Send away now and get the secret CD nobody has ever heard of full of secrets nobody is allowed to know. Or before that the big shiny mass market books of secrets nobody is supposed to know.

One is reminded a bit of the old Beyond the Fringe sketch about "the Aftermyth of War:" Please, sir, I want to join the few! I'm sorry, there are far too many.
When it comes to a comedian promoting conspiracy crap, though, Carlin comes nowhere close to Bill Hicks.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th February 2019, 05:09 PM   #63
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Somewhere along the line Carlin stopped being funny and just became a cranky old man.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th February 2019, 07:35 PM   #64
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Somewhere along the line Carlin stopped being funny and just became a cranky old man.
He was always cranky
Old 8th February 2019, 10:26 AM   #65
Georgio
Muse

I watched a little of it. It's a rant about how we're all puppets of the power elite, and stuff like that.
Yes, but with the usual The Matrix style cutaways to sped up crowds of shoppers and fast food being served and the building music to signify the feeling of profound realisation in the viewer. There seems to be a huge market for this type of vague, 'We're all just sheep and slaves to money! Wake up!' stuff (usually pedalled by a multi-millionaire entertainer ). Russell Brand (absolutely awful English 'comedian'; if you've never seen his stuff, don't bother) is another very popular one, Michael Moore and so on.

Having said that, one bit of the Carlin routine above that I think makes a lot of sense is right at the start when he says, 'Be happy with what you've got.' I completely agree with that; you should constantly question whether you actually need (or even actually want) that thing that everyone else is suddenly buying and so on.
Old 8th February 2019, 12:19 PM   #66
bknight
Graduate Poster

But it was probably satirical comedy, not some all powerful voice against "them".
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 12:46 PM   #67
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
In the late 18th century 85% of the wealth (mainly land) of the UK was concentrated within 300 of the wealthiest families. In France it was more disbursed but the same concentration was also true for other European states with money/land/power being concentrated in the noble classes. In other places the concentration of wealth was even more centralized.

History tends to repeat itself in some ways:

Quote:
Just prior to President Obama's 2014 State of the Union Address, media reported that the top wealthiest 1% possess 40% of the nation's wealth; the bottom 80% own 7%; similarly, but later, the media reported, the "richest 1 percent in the United States now own more additional income than the bottom 90 percent".
(...)
More recently, in 2017, an Oxfam study found that eight rich people, six of them Americans, own as much combined wealth as half the human race.
Wealth inequality in the USA (Wikipedia)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 01:31 PM   #68
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

The thread merger here makes this into old home week. I wonder whatever happened to Gawdzilla Sama, and if Marplots is still kicking.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 01:41 PM   #69
shankara
Scholar

The Death Penalty
shankara is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th February 2019, 01:47 PM   #70
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shankara View Post
You don't actually have to link to George Carlin routines. We're all on the Internet here. We all know how to find Carlin if we want Carlin.

Why don't you focus on posting your own original thoughts and ideas, if you're going to post at all?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2019, 05:09 AM   #71
shankara
Scholar

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You don't actually have to link to George Carlin routines. We're all on the Internet here. We all know how to find Carlin if we want Carlin.

Why don't you focus on posting your own original thoughts and ideas, if you're going to post at all?
Well y'know, seemed like a good way to start conversation on a topic.
Old 9th February 2019, 05:34 AM   #72
carlitos
"más divertido"

George Carlin

I figured I'd put this in the Conspiracy Theory section because it seems that Conspiracy Theorists is what we label people who speak against the powers that be.

What They Don't Want You To Know
We?

Who is labeling the people who speak against the powers that be? Of all the people that speak against power, what portion of them are labeled as conspiracy theorists and might it be for a reason like maybe it’s true?

Last edited by carlitos; 9th February 2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 9th February 2019, 07:41 AM   #73
shankara
Scholar

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
We?

Who is labeling the people who speak against the powers that be? Of all the people that speak against power, what portion of them are labeled as conspiracy theorists and might it be for a reason like maybe it’s true?
We the oh-so-illuminated who can see through the illogic of these silly childish conspiracy theorists.

I don't know what portion of the questioning people are labelled as Conspiracy Theorists. I imagine some people even label uncontroversial people like Noam Chomsky and Naomi Klein conspiracy theorists.

Is it true? In the case of George Carlin, far from it. The guy is just talking about the facts of capitalism, he isn't needlessly ascribing occult explanations to things. He's just speaking with honesty, and seeing things with open-mindedness and clarity.
Old 9th February 2019, 07:51 AM   #74
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I have three distinct lasting images of George Carlin, all from movies.

As Rufus, from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. Simply a cool character.

As a priest in Dogma -- somehow oxymoronically perfect.

As a hitchhiker in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Unfortunately this is the latest image and it features him
comically opening his mouth wide and bending over to go down on the trucker who picked him up.
Old 9th February 2019, 03:19 PM   #75
carlitos
"más divertido"

We the oh-so-illuminated who can see through the illogic of these silly childish conspiracy theorists.

I don't know what portion of the questioning people are labelled as Conspiracy Theorists. I imagine some people even label uncontroversial people like Noam Chomsky and Naomi Klein conspiracy theorists.

Is it true? In the case of George Carlin, far from it. The guy is just talking about the facts of capitalism, he isn't needlessly ascribing occult explanations to things. He's just speaking with honesty, and seeing things with open-mindedness and clarity.

You imagine a straw man argument, then. You want to argue against a thing that no one is saying, for which you didn’t provide evidence. That’s generally discouraged on this forum.
Old 9th February 2019, 04:36 PM   #76
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Old 9th February 2019, 07:29 PM   #77
Axxman300
Illuminator

George Carlin was worth around $10 million at the time of his death. This means capitalism was very good to him.

I love Carlin's work, I bought all of his albums starting back in the 70's. I'm certain he would be disappointed that people would quote him as some kind of expert on anything. In fact, he'd make fun of those people. Do you ask a comedian to fill cavities in your teeth? Do you want a comedian doing your taxes?

I hope not.

Carlin's act was about 60 to 90 minutes, he told a lot of great jokes. He came from the branch of observational humor where the absurdities and inconsistencies of of daily life are boiled down to punch-lines. Carlin rejected Catholicism, and was pro-choice ("Have you ever noticed that the women who are against abortion or chick you wouldn't want to **** in the first place?" - George Carlin, Class Clown, 1972.)

My guess is that you are unfamiliar with the entirety of Carlin's work.

The problem here is that you have brought a tired old video to a place where we ask for substance when defending a position, not another YouTube video.
Old 10th February 2019, 12:40 AM   #78
Jimmy9
Scholar

Originally Posted by Bubba

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
No, he didn't.
You`re right AJM, he actually said he "wouldn`t trust an investigation".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.
Jimmy9 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th February 2019, 02:21 AM   #79
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Jimmy9 View Post
Originally Posted by Bubba

You`re right AJM, he actually said he "wouldn`t trust an investigation".

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Is "Would Carlin trust it?" the new benchmark for trustworthiness?

Why would anyone care if George Carlin trusted an investigation or not?
Old 10th February 2019, 04:50 AM   #80
shankara
Scholar

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
You imagine a straw man argument, then. You want to argue against a thing that no one is saying, for which you didn’t provide evidence. That’s generally discouraged on this forum.
Well I don't see the thread being moved out of the "Conspiracy Theories" section.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories