ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th July 2016, 09:40 AM   #81
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

As I understand it, Icky is a former footballer. Perhaps he took a few too many headers.
Old 18th July 2016, 10:48 AM   #82
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
As I understand it, Icky is a former footballer. Perhaps he took a few too many headers.
IIRC he was a goalkeeper.

Maybe he collided too many times with the goal posts - trying to move them with his head?
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2016, 10:52 AM   #83
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Correct, but only for a brief period:

Quote:
Icke made no effort at school, but when he was nine, he was chosen for the junior school's third-year football team. It was the first time he had succeeded at anything, and he came to see football as his way out of poverty. He played in goal, which he wrote suited the loner in him and gave him a sense of living on the edge between hero and villain.

After failing his 11-plus exam in 1963, he was sent to the city's Crown Hills Secondary Modern (rather than the local grammar school), where he was given a trial for the Leicester Boys Under-Fourteen team. He left school at 15 after being talent-spotted by Coventry City, who signed him up in 1967 as their youth team's goalkeeper. He also played for Oxford United's reserve team and Northampton Town, on loan from Coventry.

Rheumatoid arthritis in his left knee, which spread to the right knee, ankles, elbows, wrists and hands, stopped him from making a career out of football. Despite often being in agony during training, he managed to play part-time for Hereford United, including in the first team when they were in the fourth, and later in the third, division of the English Football League. He was earning up to ₤33 a week. But in 1973, at the age of 21, the pain in his joints became so severe that he was forced to retire.
His career as Journalist:

Quote:
The loss of Icke's position with Hereford meant that he and his wife had to sell their home, and for several weeks they lived apart, each moving in with their parents. In 1973 Icke found a job as a reporter with the weekly Leicester Advertiser, through a contact who was a sports editor at the Daily Mail. He moved on to the Leicester News Agency, and through them did some work for BBC Radio Leicester as their football reporter, then worked his way up through the Loughborough Monitor, the Leicester Mercury, and BRMB Radio in Birmingham.

He worked for two months in Saudi Arabia in 1976, helping with their national football team. It was supposed to be a longer-term position, but he missed his wife and new daughter and decided not to return after his first holiday back to the UK. BRMB gave him his job back, after which he successfully applied to Midlands Today at the BBC's Pebble Mill Studios in Birmingham, a job that included on-air appearances. One of the earliest stories he covered for them was the murder of Carl Bridgewater, the paperboy who was shot during a robbery in 1978.

In 1981 Icke became a sports presenter for the BBC's national programme, Newsnight, which had just started. Two years later, on 17 January 1983, he appeared on the first edition of the BBC's Breakfast Time, British television's first national breakfast show, and presented the sports news for them until 1985, which meant getting up at two o'clock in the morning five days a week. In the summer of 1983 he achieved his ambition when he co-hosted Grandstand, at the time the BBC's flagship national sports programme. He also published his first book that year, It's a Tough Game, Son!, about how to break into football.

Icke and his family moved in 1982 to Ryde on the Isle of Wight. His relationship with Grandstand was shortlived–he wrote that a new editor arrived in 1983 who appeared not to like him–but he continued working for BBC Sport until 1990, often on bowls and snooker programmes, and at the 1988 Summer Olympics. He was by then a household name, but a career in television began to lose its appeal; he wrote that he found television workers insecure, shallow and sometimes vicious. In August 1990 his contract with the BBC was terminated when he refused to pay his Community Charge, a controversial local tax introduced that year by Margaret Thatcher. He did end up paying it, but his announcement that he was willing to go to jail rather than pay prompted the BBC, by charter an impartial public-service broadcaster, to distance itself from him.
What made him nuts:

Quote:
Descent into woo

During the late 1980s while he was still with the Green Party, Icke began to look to alternative medicine for a cure for the arthritis that had ended his football career. This also brought him in contact with the local members of the New Age movement. In 1989, he experienced neurological symptoms (impression of a presence, momentary paralysis of lower extremities, auditory hallucination, facial sensations) that he interpreted as spirits trying to contact him. In 1990, he met a psychic he called his "soul mate" who began to introduce him to hardcore New Age woo. He went off the deep end shortly thereafter. He left the party in 1990 and was formally banned from it in 1994, with the Greens calling his views "fascist".
First 2 quotes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke

Last one: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/David_Icke

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2016, 11:01 AM   #84
Rincewind
Philosopher

@tinrinmancer

Thank you for a much better post than mine!

Respect!
Rincewind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2016, 12:09 PM   #85
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by tinribmancer View Post
Ok, "Alien Reptiles" is a new one. So, the Lizard People are from outer space then?

It's Zygons versus Silurians...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2016, 12:30 PM   #86
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Whoa. AD&D anyone?

I occasionally lob a hand grenade at my kids about how come they don't apply whatever the latest fad is in their real lives.

Invariably, the answer is "Because we know it's not real, duh."

I love my kids sanity.
If the right kids do manage to take over, there is a slight hope for the future. When my son was in high school, everyone was getting their ears pierced. My wife asked him why he had not asked to get his done. He said, "Because I don't want to."
Old 18th July 2016, 01:38 PM   #87
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
If the right kids do manage to take over, there is a slight hope for the future. When my son was in high school, everyone was getting their ears pierced. My wife asked him why he had not asked to get his done. He said, "Because I don't want to."
Rule of thumb. If your kids feel enabled enough to flat out tell you you are being a moron, you are definitely doing something right.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2016, 02:55 PM   #88
tinribmancer
Hasbarian NWO Templar Cattle

Bumped against this one when checking out his Rationalwiki page:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Why is he talking in riddles? What "people" have been ruling the world for ages? I thought the Illuminati was formed in the 18th century by Weishaupt? Apparently not, since they were already plotting and scheming during the Roman Empire.

Did they also brought Julius Caesar into power?

"And belief in conspiracy theories is not the function of a higher intellect." - BStrong
tinribmancer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2016, 01:04 AM   #89
Cosmic Yak
Master Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Malbec, do you have a response to my earlier post? You know, the one where I showed you that the video you linked to about the aliens was from a known hoax source, one that has been denounced on the David Icke forum, among others.
If you remember, you posted it after I invited you to present your indisputable proof that aliens have visited the Earth. Proof you claimed would be far above my, or indeed anyone else's, intellectual capabilities.
Instead you posted a video from known hoaxers, containing claims that, as other posters have shown, were debunked long ago.
Oh, and try to reply in a way that doesn't get removed by the mods. With your intellectual capabilities, this should be easy.
And what's this thing about cats and kittens?
Old 20th July 2016, 07:52 AM   #90
rambaldi
Thinker

Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
David Icke is visiting Australia
Time to release a few local reptiles...
rambaldi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2016, 08:31 PM   #91
Navigator
Philosopher

Another perspective from a non mainstream media source

An interesting thought provoking interview...which also ironically enough explains some of the offhanded/smarmy comments in this thread focused on Icke...

"Expanding Your Consciousness With David Icke"
(Source - The Vinny Eastwood Show)
Video Interview.

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2016, 11:15 PM   #92
threadworm
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
An interesting thought provoking interview...which also ironically enough explains some of the offhanded/smarmy comments in this thread focused on Icke...

"Expanding Your Consciousness With David Icke"
(Source - The Vinny Eastwood Show)
Video Interview.
For those of us reluctant to watch 43 minutes of fawning over a deluded fantasist making a lot of money out of the gullible and deluded, can you explain what explanation it gives?

My views on him are borne out of contempt at his snake oil salesmanship, is that covered?

Apollo Hoax Debunked
threadworm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2018, 02:47 AM   #93
dann
Philosopher

Alice Walker appears to be a fan: Alice Walker under fire for praise of 'antisemitic' David Icke book (The Guardian, Dec. 17, 2018)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2018, 09:43 AM   #94
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Malbec View Post
DI ran rings around what came over as , " country hicks " .
They tried to be smart arses and ended up looking just plain silly .
Nope, he was humiliated. Yet again.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories