ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Clinton conspiracies , Comet Pizza , John Podesta , pedophilia

Old 27th November 2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Pizzagate

I'm a little surprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet.

There's a conspiracy circulating that John Podesta, and by extension Hillary Clinton, is at the center of a pedophile network based in a DC pizza restaurant.

This is the highest order of tinfoil hattery, the entire thing is balanced on supposed hidden meanings of innocuous words and images.

What bothers me is that this theory which should make Alex Jones blush, seems to have a sudden huge rush of followers and support, including the main Trump subreddit, hundreds of thousands strong.

http://voat.co/v/pizzagate
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2016, 11:38 AM   #2
Nowhere Man
Thinker

More info at Snopes.

People are idiots. People who manufacture fake news stories. People who believe them, who do no research on them, and who pass them along indiscriminately. People... just people.

Fred

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
-- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Last edited by Nowhere Man; 27th November 2016 at 11:41 AM. Reason: rant
Nowhere Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Spins
Muse

I dunno about that, if you look at the Podesta emails and all those Instagram posts associated with Comet Pizza it's all a little bit too suspicious. For example you know all those late night events (starting at 9-10pm) at Comet Pizza that were advertized (in those creepy posters) as for "all ages". Want to know what kind of people frequent these places? Well here's some video...
https://youtu.be/PR1w6IkpE6o?t=1m20s
...I dunno but there's something about this little exchange that sounds a little off (sarcasm). I highly suggest people not let their kids sleep over there, which unsurprisingly according to posts on Instagram has happened, imagine my shock. Jimmy Savile would be proud of such a setup.
Old 27th November 2016, 04:18 PM   #4
Tero
Graduate Poster

Well, there's nothing, again.

Wait till they start uncovering all the Trump conspiracies. He will threaten to sue the journalists, but it will all come out.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2016, 06:26 PM   #5
MicahJava
Master Poster

Pizzagate is the stupidest damn thing I've ever seen. I havean't "researched" it since last week or so, but it's all out-of-context BS from leaked emails or the Comet Pizza instagram page. Anybody could debunk what I've seen so far in a second.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2016, 06:27 PM   #6
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

No one seems to have mentioned the Times article on this.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2016, 06:41 PM   #7
Spins
Muse

Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
Pizzagate is the stupidest damn thing I've ever seen. I havean't "researched" it since last week or so, but it's all out-of-context BS from leaked emails or the Comet Pizza instagram page. Anybody could debunk what I've seen so far in a second.

What is your take on this post?
Old 27th November 2016, 07:07 PM   #8
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spins View Post
What is your take on this post?
You're right. Those odd hashtags can only be explained by presuming that there's an entire cult of sex addicts trading babies (BABIES!) at a pizza parlor.

Or that there's some context that we don't know here.

Nah. Sex cult.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2016, 07:22 PM   #9
Spins
Muse

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
You're right. Those odd hashtags can only be explained by presuming that there's an entire cult of sex addicts trading babies (BABIES!) at a pizza parlor.

Nah. Sex cult.

There's many more odd posts, can you explain the combination of hashtags then?
Old 27th November 2016, 07:32 PM   #10
Spins
Muse

Nah. Sex cult.

OK here is a nice simple one, it just says #chickenlovers. Now when I look up #chickenlovers I get lots of close up images of well err (cooked) chicken or chickens, so whats the deal here have they just both enjoyed a chicken dinner?
Old 27th November 2016, 07:55 PM   #11
Navigator
Philosopher

I thought..."**** is this still going on!" and then remembered...nope, that was elevatorgate...different gate... :end:

Atheism is not skepticism

Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors. ~ ISF disclaimer
Navigator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2016, 08:13 PM   #12
Bob001
Philosopher

No one seems to have mentioned the Times article on this.
Note that this is a web phenomenon with real-world impact. Employees of the restaurant have been threatened. People have come to the restaurant looking for trouble. The D.C. police had to park a patrol car out front. This is crazy, dangerous stuff.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2016, 08:14 PM   #13
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't seen the posts you refer to, but I'm pretty sure that there's an explanation short of pizzeria child sex ring.
Old 27th November 2016, 08:25 PM   #14
Spins
Muse

I haven't seen the posts you refer to, but I'm pretty sure that there's an explanation short of pizzeria child sex ring.

Just remember that all these events at Comet Pizza are advertized as suitable for "all ages" so cum visit, they all start 9-10pm.
Old 27th November 2016, 08:29 PM   #15
Spins
Muse

OK can you explain this Podesta email?

Quote:
With enormous gratitude to Advance Man Extraordinaire Haber, I am popping up again to share our excitement about the Reprise of Our Gangs visit to the farm in Lovettsville. And I thought Id share a couple more notes: We plan to heat the pool, so a swim is a possibility. Bonnie will be Uber Service to transport Ruby, Emerson, and Maeve Luzzatto (11, 9, and almost 7) so youll have some further entertainment, and they will be in that pool for sure. And with the forecast showing prospects of some sun, and a cooler temp of lower 60s, I suggest you bring sweaters of whatever attire will enable us to use our outdoor table with a pergola overhead so we dine al fresco (and ideally not al-CHILLo).
Old 27th November 2016, 08:40 PM   #16
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Children are funny.

I attended a thanksgiving party last night. One friend brought her three children (4, 4 and 6 I think?), another brought her baby. Joking with the kids watching the baby crawl around were certainly part of the entertainment.

What the hell is going through your mind that you automatically equate kids being entertaining with child sex abuse?
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2016, 08:43 PM   #17
Spins
Muse

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Children are funny.

I attended a thanksgiving party last night. One friend brought her three children (4, 4 and 6 I think?), another brought her baby. Joking with the kids watching the baby crawl around were certainly part of the entertainment.

What the hell is going through your mind that you automatically equate kids being entertaining with child sex abuse?

https://youtu.be/PR1w6IkpE6o?t=1m20s
Old 27th November 2016, 08:49 PM   #18
Spins
Muse

Children are funny.

But no on a serious note when I was a child I did have an adult on 2 separate occasions try and molest me. Once at a public swimming pool (he tried to pull my trunks off) and the other occasion I don't want to describe.
Old 27th November 2016, 08:52 PM   #19
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Just remember that all these events at Comet Pizza are advertized as suitable for "all ages" so cum visit, they all start 9-10pm.
In the world of rock shows (or punk shows, hip hop etc.) "all ages" does not mean that the show is suitable for children, it generally means that the show is not restricted to 21+ as some venues that serve alcohol are.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...55c9f26d07.jpg

https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/...s_6408297.jpeg

Above are images of chows by Chance the Rapper and Nirvana.

Here's a question for you. You're obviously not familiar with concert posters, so why did you make the assumption that something you didn't understand meant something horribly sinister without doing independent research? A simple google search?

Why do you take all there bits of information where you don't know what's being said, and leap to such a strange conclusion?
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 27th November 2016, 08:54 PM   #20
Spins
Muse

In the world of rock shows (or punk shows, hip hop etc.) "all ages" does not mean that the show is suitable for children, it generally means that the show is not restricted to 21+ as some venues that serve alcohol are.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...55c9f26d07.jpg

https://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/...s_6408297.jpeg

Above are images of chows by Chance the Rapper and Nirvana.

Here's a question for you. You're obviously not familiar with concert posters, so why did you make the assumption that something you didn't understand meant something horribly sinister without doing independent research? A simple google search?

Why do you take all there bits of information where you don't know what's being said, and leap to such a strange conclusion?

Stuff like this, thoughts?
Old 27th November 2016, 08:54 PM   #21
Cavemonster
Philosopher

But no on a serious note when I was a child I did have an adult on 2 separate occasions try and molest me. Once at a public swimming pool (he tried to pull my trunks off) and the other occasion I don't want to describe.
I'm sorry you experienced that.

Knowing how horrific molestation is, shouldn't we take the subject very seriously? Is "I don't know what that communication not meant for me means, therefore child-sex ring" sort of trivializing to children who are in real danger?

If you really want to help children, there are organizations working all over the world to combat trafficking.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 27th November 2016, 08:56 PM   #22
Cavemonster
Philosopher

What thoughts are you looking for?

Why are you untroubled that your apparent evidence is based on provably wrong assumptions? How many whack-a-moles do you need knocked down?
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 27th November 2016, 08:59 PM   #23
Spins
Muse

Children are funny.

Why did the person who sent that email feel it was relevant to specify the kids ages and point out they'll be in that pool for sure? Seems a little weird to me given all the other bizarre stuff, if it was just this one email I wouldn't have cared in the slightest.
Old 27th November 2016, 09:09 PM   #24
Spins
Muse

What thoughts are you looking for?

Why are you untroubled that your apparent evidence is based on provably wrong assumptions? How many whack-a-moles do you need knocked down?

It just comes across as weird to me that a bunch of kids would be having a sleep over at a pizza place, especially one with so many odd posts associated with it.
Old 27th November 2016, 09:09 PM   #25
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Why did the person who sent that email feel it was relevant to specify the kids ages and point out they'll be in that pool for sure? Seems a little weird to me given all the other bizarre stuff, if it was just this one email I wouldn't have cared in the slightest.
Why did I include ages in my post?

When you mine the emails of just about any person, you'll find things that reference the existence of children, because humans have families.

When you look at people's social media you'll find jokes you don't get, language that isn't the way you or your friends speak, cultural reference you aren't part of.

When you mine the social media and hacked emails of a well known establishment and everyone even tangentially connected with it, you'll find a large amount of things like that. If you take everything that's related to children (even falsely like your "all ages" gaffe) and consider that a data point, you'll have a large amount of "evidence". But it's all based on the idea that "Anything I don't understand mean that this is a child trafficking ring".

That's not critical thinking.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 27th November 2016, 09:10 PM   #26
Cavemonster
Philosopher

It just comes across as weird to me that a bunch of kids would be having a sleep over at a pizza place, especially one with so many odd posts associated with it.
Seems to me to be describing a trip to the pizza place before a sleepover at on of the kid's houses.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 27th November 2016, 09:13 PM   #27
Spins
Muse

I'm sorry you experienced that.

Knowing how horrific molestation is, shouldn't we take the subject very seriously? Is "I don't know what that communication not meant for me means, therefore child-sex ring" sort of trivializing to children who are in real danger?

If you really want to help children, there are organizations working all over the world to combat trafficking.

I don't approve of the aggressive behavior towards the people that work there etc, but something doesn't quite add up. It's all just a little bit weird to me but I obviously don't mix in these circles.
Old 27th November 2016, 09:25 PM   #28
Spins
Muse

Why did I include ages in my post?

When you mine the emails of just about any person, you'll find things that reference the existence of children, because humans have families.

When you look at people's social media you'll find jokes you don't get, language that isn't the way you or your friends speak, cultural reference you aren't part of.

When you mine the social media and hacked emails of a well known establishment and everyone even tangentially connected with it, you'll find a large amount of things like that. If you take everything that's related to children (even falsely like your "all ages" gaffe) and consider that a data point, you'll have a large amount of "evidence". But it's all based on the idea that "Anything I don't understand mean that this is a child trafficking ring".

That's not critical thinking.

The Podesta's have some very questionable artwork in their homes, especially Tony, and that isn't the only weird email. But once again I don't mix in these circles so hanging pedophilic art and talking in this way seems strange to me.

I mean Andrew Breitbart had his suspicions all the way back in 2011...
https://twitter.com/AndrewBreitbart/...36278100561920

Quote:
How prog-guru John Podesta isn't household name as world class underage sex slave op cover-upperer defending unspeakable dregs escapes me.
Old 27th November 2016, 09:27 PM   #29
Spins
Muse

Seems to me to be describing a trip to the pizza place before a sleepover at on of the kid's houses.

Yeah that sounds plausible, I don't think it's related.
Old 27th November 2016, 09:48 PM   #30
Spins
Muse

Another thing I found weird was that the Comet Pizza website had a password protected login section, with no way to register. Someone in Europe managed to hack in and found this, the links also required a download key so no one ever found out what they contained. Once the word got out that that part of the site had been hacked all the stuff was deleted. Maybe it was just faked though.
Old 28th November 2016, 06:51 AM   #31
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Oh come on, do you even interact with anyone who actually has kids? They're obviously organizing some sort of get-together, and as such there may be other people thinking about bringing kids. You specify the ages so that people will have some idea if their kids are close in age, and as such can find someone to hang out with. Some people might think twice about bringing a 13 year old to a party where all the other kids are 7 and 8, and vice versa.

It absolutely gobsmacks me that regular human interactions like this, the "all ages"* fiasco, and that "sleepover" post are being seen as proof of some deviant cult behavior. Honestly, it's the people who can't figure out these "bizarre" posts that worry me the most.

*It's literally been decades since I last attended a live punk show, and even I knew what that meant right away!
Old 28th November 2016, 07:31 AM   #32
Jrrarglblarg

Yes. One must turn the pool heater on in advance to warm the pool before a party, unless one keeps the pool heated all the time. Very expensive.

What else confuses you about this?
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 07:35 AM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God

This is the highest order of tinfoil hattery, the entire thing is balanced on supposed hidden meanings of innocuous words and images.
Of course it is. That's the bread and butter of conspiracy theories: the conspiracy is SUPER efficient and nobody can spot it, not even experts (assuming they're not all in on it), but they just can't resist the lure of putting clever clues out there so that people "in the know" can decipher them. That's where the ignoramuses come in...

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 07:35 AM   #34
Jrrarglblarg

Argument from Incredulity, based on lack of personal experience with the subject matter.

It's very important to state the count and ages of children attending adult parties, so the hosts and other guests can acommododate accordingly.

You obviously have no children and zero experience with English-language concert posters.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 07:38 AM   #35
Jrrarglblarg

Another thing I found weird was that the Comet Pizza website had a password protected login section, with no way to register. Someone in Europe managed to hack in and found this, the links also required a download key so no one ever found out what they contained. Once the word got out that that part of the site had been hacked all the stuff was deleted. Maybe it was just faked though.
Useless assertion without validation of the claim. And that page looks very faked to me. Just for starters it looks to me like something happening in Linux, not something on a web page. Based on this, I conclude it was generated by fakertroll.
Old 28th November 2016, 07:41 AM   #36
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

2 girl sleep over at two other girl. What's so special about that ?

Oh I know what's so special : some people want to manufacture more manure out of zero fact.

If I wanted an anecdote on why apparently it is easier to hoax / fabric fake stories for the right wing, I now have one. Just pretend child abuse, and people will find pattern by their own in anything and everything.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 07:45 AM   #37
Jrrarglblarg

Having done professional event photography, if the hidden download page isn't fake it's a protected area where parents download pictures or video from the party. The photographer for the Ballet sometimes posts a "secret" location where parents can view and download candid/backstage photos, but nobody else can.

Critical thinking involves looking for multiple possible alternate answers and not getting stuck sucking on the first piece of prechewed thinking you found.
Old 28th November 2016, 07:56 AM   #38
Belz...
Fiend God

....babies want to stuff their face with delicious stuff?

Seriously, why do you see something nefarious in obvious stuff like this?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 07:57 AM   #39
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
Having done professional event photography, if the hidden download page isn't fake it's a protected area where parents download pictures or video from the party. The photographer for the Ballet sometimes posts a "secret" location where parents can view and download candid/backstage photos, but nobody else can.

Critical thinking involves looking for multiple possible alternate answers and not getting stuck sucking on the first piece of prechewed thinking you found.

Heck, I used to use a cat kennel that did the same thing!
Old 28th November 2016, 09:12 AM   #40
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

A humorous way of describing a family event.

Or else an attorney used email to describe horrific child molestation. Mercy!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories