ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Clinton conspiracies , Comet Pizza , John Podesta , pedophilia

Old 28th November 2016, 09:13 AM   #41
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spins View Post
But no on a serious note when I was a child I did have an adult on 2 separate occasions try and molest me. Once at a public swimming pool (he tried to pull my trunks off) and the other occasion I don't want to describe.
I'm very sorry to hear that.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 09:16 AM   #42
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
A humorous way of describing a family event.

Or else an attorney used email to describe horrific child molestation. Mercy!
No, no. It's totally serious, I'm sure. Meanwhile, Trump's insane rantings are, of course, merely attempts at humour.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 10:18 AM   #43
DragonLady
Illuminator

I just heard about this today.

I have to say some of it sounds weird as hell.

$60,000 for pizza and hot dogs? In the White House? Where food isn't allowed to be brought in at all?

Someone, please, please convince me this isn't real. Please.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 11:13 AM   #44
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I just heard about this today.

I have to say some of it sounds weird as hell.

$60,000 for pizza and hot dogs? In the White House? Where food isn't allowed to be brought in at all?

Someone, please, please convince me this isn't real. Please.
What is it that you are afraid is true and what makes you think it may be?

Take it step by step starting with evidence and sources, be as clear as you can be.

Conspiracy theory lives in vagueness and poor logical process.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 11:18 AM   #45
Jrrarglblarg

I attempted to google for more information regarding DragonLady's comments and find my google-fu inadequate to cut through the signal to noise ratio. And the OP link is useless.

Any chance of someone throwing me a bone, here? My understanding is someone randomly associated a random pizza parlor with an unproven conspiracy theory using a pair of tweets, and somehow shoehorned it into connection with unrelated Podesta email content.

And mouthbreathing meshbacks took it viral on Facebook? Or is it Reddit/4chan fodder spilling out of those pig pens?
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 11:27 AM   #46
DragonLady
Illuminator

I'll try to post some links, but a lot of the sites are being taken down so it's hard to follow up on much of what has been said.

I'm also reading through some of the emails myself, but there's a lot of noise there, too.

I'm not much into conspiracies...but I have to admit a child sex ring in the US government is not exactly impossible. Probably very unlikely, but not impossible.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 11:36 AM   #47
Jrrarglblarg

In my observations, the government is unable to run an actual pizzeria correctly; the logistical and security requirements of a sex ring of the size I understand has been proposed exceed my my suspension of disbelief.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 11:41 AM   #48
DragonLady
Illuminator

Okay; no outside food allowed in the White House:

Quote:
You can't bring in outside food

With a strictness rivaled only by movie theaters, you're not allowed to take outside food into the White House. When visiting chefs cook there, they can't bring pre-prepared sauces, as all ingredients must be obtained by the kitchen staff through secret and secure sources.
https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...dential-eating

$65K for Chicago pizza and hot dogs, delivered to the White House.

http://www.trump-conservative.com/ne...-from-chicago/

Really? $65K? and it says "Pizza and hot dogs" not "pizza dough" or "pizza ingredients" so it sounds like they brought in food.

It all sounds innocent enough, except as a whole it doesn't make sense. The waitress comment is bizarre, the amount of money spent is ludicrous, the reference to 'channels' is just weird, and finally, one of the replies refers to the people involved as "hot dogs".

I'm sorry, but I have to admit: from where I sit the whole thing is smelling very, very bad.

Especially in light of all the events in Britain.

Old 28th November 2016, 11:56 AM   #49
Jrrarglblarg

Your first link appears to be a ClickBait slideshow of unstated length.

Your second link asserts that someone dreaming of a hotdog cart in Hawaii must certainly be pedo-code for something dirty. Because hot dogs, right?

A "hot dog cart in Hawaii" is a retirement dream-job joke, probably in this instance in reference to some recent kids movie. I'm trying to remember which one, but somebody has that desire in a cartoon. The color of the awning was involved.
Old 28th November 2016, 11:57 AM   #50
Jrrarglblarg

As far as $65k for hot dogs, I'm still not seeing the contextual information I need to know what's even being discussed.
Old 28th November 2016, 12:00 PM   #51
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Okay; no outside food allowed in the White House:

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation...dential-eating

$65K for Chicago pizza and hot dogs, delivered to the White House.

http://www.trump-conservative.com/ne...-from-chicago/

Really? $65K? and it says "Pizza and hot dogs" not "pizza dough" or "pizza ingredients" so it sounds like they brought in food.

It all sounds innocent enough, except as a whole it doesn't make sense. The waitress comment is bizarre, the amount of money spent is ludicrous, the reference to 'channels' is just weird, and finally, one of the replies refers to the people involved as "hot dogs".

I'm sorry, but I have to admit: from where I sit the whole thing is smelling very, very bad.

Especially in light of all the events in Britain.

You haven't done what I asked before, this post is all bad feelings and innuendo.

What specifically do you believe is happening and why do you believe it

Reread your posts and you'll find incredulity and mystery, but no actual claim.

What specifically are you afraid is true, and why do you think it is likely?

Bad feelings and vagueness aren't good skepticism, or good critical thinking.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 12:10 PM   #52
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm not much into conspiracies...but I have to admit a child sex ring in the US government is not exactly impossible. Probably very unlikely, but not impossible.
Yeah, bigfoot isn't impossible, either.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 12:17 PM   #53
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Jrrarglblarg View Post
As far as $65k for hot dogs, I'm still not seeing the contextual information I need to know what's even being discussed.

That's because there's no context. If you read the linked site, this was a comment from some third party that "believed" the Whitehouse had paid that much to fly in pizza. That is, it's completely hearsay, with no other supporting evidence.
Old 28th November 2016, 12:17 PM   #54
DragonLady
Illuminator

Your first link appears to be a ClickBait slideshow of unstated length.
I quoted what it says. But I'll see if I can find the same info somewhere else.

Quote:
Your second link asserts that someone dreaming of a hotdog cart in Hawaii must certainly be pedo-code for something dirty. Because hot dogs, right?
That is not the post I was referring to, but yes, that is the general gist of the allegations.

Quote:
A "hot dog cart in Hawaii" is a retirement dream-job joke, probably in this instance in reference to some recent kids movie. I'm trying to remember which one, but somebody has that desire in a cartoon. The color of the awning was involved.
Yes; I'm aware of that. As I said, that's not the post that gave me pause.

Hot dogs? At the White House? Seriously?

65K for hot dogs and pizza? Again...there's no outside foods allowed, so it would have to 65K for flour, yeast, tomato sauce....

Of course, it may all be hyperbole. But reading through what people are saying, it's starting to take on the kind of stench that bears a much closer investigation, IMO.

Again...we need only look 'cross the pond to see a pedophile ring in the highest offices would not be impossible.

Old 28th November 2016, 12:17 PM   #55
Jrrarglblarg

Quote:
QUOTE=Horatius;11607012]That's because there's no context. If you read the linked site, this was a comment from some third party that "believed" the Whitehouse had paid that much to fly in pizza. That is, it's completely hearsay, with no other supporting evidence.
[/quote]

Wait, what?

So, where's the beef?
Old 28th November 2016, 12:20 PM   #56
DragonLady
Illuminator

I've hurt both of my arms, so typing is very hard right now.

I guess I entered this thread believing everyone was at least marginally aware of the allegations being made...but, maybe not.

I'll try to find some more specific information about the accusations, but it will be slow going because hurting.

ETA: I guess this is a good place to start: http://therightstuff.biz/2016/11/27/pizzagate-2/

Last edited by DragonLady; 28th November 2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 28th November 2016, 12:22 PM   #57
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Of course, it may all be hyperbole. But reading through what people are saying, it's starting to take on the kind of stench that bears a much closer investigation, IMO.
And this is how we end up picking a reality tv show host over a seasoned politician. Our information literacy is so low a this point that I have little hope.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 12:22 PM   #58
Cavemonster
Philosopher

I guess I entered this thread believing everyone was at least marginally aware of the allegations being made...but, maybe not.

I'll try to find some more specific information about the accusations, but it will be slow going because hurting.
I'm aware of what's alleged, but I feel the conspiracy proponents let their beliefs flourish by keeping them vague.

I want YOU to state what you believe and why so that it can be looked at rationally.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Old 28th November 2016, 12:22 PM   #59
Belz...
Fiend God

65K for hot dogs and pizza? Again...there's no outside foods allowed, so it would have to 65K for flour, yeast, tomato sauce....

Of course, it may all be hyperbole.
Have you considered the possibility that it may just be a complete invention, before you start trying to make sense of the numbers?

Old 28th November 2016, 12:24 PM   #60
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

And if you look for other stories about pizza, it seems the claim that you "can't bring food into the Whitehouse" are somewhat less than perfectly accurate:

http://people.com/celebrity/the-obam...from-st-louis/

Quote:
Chris Sommers, owner of a pizza place in St. Louis, gets orders from all over town. But from 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. in Washington, D.C.?

“It’s surreal, it’s a huge honor,” says Sommers, 33, who flew to the nation’s capital Thursday to make 20 pizzas for the Obama family and staff.

So how did a St. Louis pizza guy end up in the White House kitchen?

The president first tasted Sommers’s San Francisco-style pies, served at his St. Louis restaurant Pi, while campaigning in Missouri last fall. An Obama supporter, Sommers offered to deliver a few frozen pies to the president after the election but was told he couldn’t send food to the White House because of security concerns.

Instead, Reggie Love, one of the president’s closest aides and a fellow fan of Sommers’s deep-dish and thin-crust creations, arranged to have the pizza chef bring 20 pounds of dough and 3 gallons of sauce at Sommers’s expense to the White House kitchen and cook there Friday.

There's also other reports:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/norm-cl...ry-obama-eerie

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ivery-man.html
Old 28th November 2016, 12:24 PM   #61
Jrrarglblarg

Quote:
I'll need to see evidence for several sub-claims here. First, something other than ClickBait supporting the "no outside food rule," preferably one with actual information.

And second, the 65k is an unsupported supposition by a third party (of dubious veracity).

And third, "scary big numbers" out of context are useless. How many hot dogs? What kind of outside (contractor/vendor) logistics were required for the event, such as mobile coolers and servers? How many guests? Was that number in reference to one event or several?

Last edited by Jrrarglblarg; 28th November 2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 28th November 2016, 01:31 PM   #62
RussDill
Philosopher

BTW, for those that want a sense of scale:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-much...ey-aint-cheap/
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 02:16 PM   #63
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
BTW, for those that want a sense of scale:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-much...ey-aint-cheap/

Yes, these things add up, and there's lots of associated costs that people don't realize. Read that article I posted about Obama ordering some pizza while at a hotel. The delivery guy had to run a gauntlet of security including x-raying all the pizzas. The equipment, and the people to run it, don't come cheap. It isn't like just dropping a 20 for the guy from Pizza Hut.
Old 28th November 2016, 03:09 PM   #64
MicahJava
Master Poster

What is your take on this post?
What about it?
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 03:11 PM   #65
MicahJava
Master Poster

OK here is a nice simple one, it just says #chickenlovers. Now when I look up #chickenlovers I get lots of close up images of well err (cooked) chicken or chickens, so whats the deal here have they just both enjoyed a chicken dinner?
1. I think the person in the picture is a manager of Comet. I also think that baby is his offspring. I remember seeing another picture on their Instagram page, of the same person holding the same baby.

2. They serve chicken at Comet Pizza.
MicahJava is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 03:14 PM   #66
MicahJava
Master Poster

Just remember that all these events at Comet Pizza are advertized as suitable for "all ages" so cum visit, they all start 9-10pm.
You mean like this poster for the band Sex Stains? That's a band poster. It says "all ages" because the band wants to emphasize that their music is not vulgar despite their bizarre name and artwork. If you go to an Instagram page of a Pizza joint, you're probably going to find mostly friends of the owner or friends of the management. Therefore, the "CUM VISIT" post is not that strange to me.
Old 28th November 2016, 03:17 PM   #67
MicahJava
Master Poster

So what, dude? She's obviously joking around. This video appears to be taken at night, at an event for adults.
Old 28th November 2016, 03:43 PM   #68
Shiner
Motor Mouth

ETA: I guess this is a good place to start: http://therightstuff.biz/2016/11/27/pizzagate-2/
I like how he says "let's not launch headlong into a conspiracy theory", and then proceeds to do just that. I didn't see any reference to the 65K. I looked at a couple of the sites running the story, and I don't see any evidence of the 65K claimed. I don't see any evidence that hot dogs were flown from Chicago. I don't see any connection with the Pizzagate business.

What I have seen on wikileaks, is expense sheets detailing multiple small transactions of $20- $60 for pizza to feed campaign volunteers. The pizza shop in question has been used for various campaign functions and fundraising efforts.
Shiner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 05:28 PM   #69
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Quote:
And this is how we end up picking a reality tv show host over a seasoned politician. Our information literacy is so low a this point that I have little hope.
Depressing, isn't it? "What people are saying... [justifies] a much closer investigation" is exactly the sort of reasoning that (for example) drives the "massive voter fraud" meme; it becomes a vicious circle, and no amount of information will serve to reason someone out of a circle they've drawn around their position to protect it.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 05:50 PM   #70
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I quoted what it says. But I'll see if I can find the same info somewhere else.

That is not the post I was referring to, but yes, that is the general gist of the allegations.

Again...we need only look 'cross the pond to see a pedophile ring in the highest offices would not be impossible.
What do you class as the ' highest offices'?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 07:23 PM   #71
Axxman300
Illuminator

The great thing about being President is that as the leader of the free world you can order out for pizza.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 07:36 PM   #72
Axxman300
Illuminator

I was molested as a child. I keep an eye on that world.

There's a thread somewhere on this board asking is CTers were dangerous, and this is an example of why I answered "Yes".

There is no proof of this pizza place being anything other than a great place for dinner. Podesta's e-mail has been loosely interpreted, and by "loosely" I mean they made stuff up.

Are there child-sex trafficking rings operating in Washington D.C.? Yes, just as there are rings to be found in every major US city right now. Child predators operate out in the open on the Dark-Web, and are dictating the game over there. If this pizza place was a hub for kiddie rapers, you could easily find out on one of the many dark-web pedophile message boards, yet nothing has surfaced.

The sad, evil part of this CT is that it will make it easier for REAL child-sex rings to operate longer thanks to the credibility gap this has created. Shame on those who spread this lie.
Axxman300 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 07:42 PM   #73
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
I was molested as a child. I keep an eye on that world.

There's a thread somewhere on this board asking is CTers were dangerous, and this is an example of why I answered "Yes".

There is no proof of this pizza place being anything other than a great place for dinner. Podesta's e-mail has been loosely interpreted, and by "loosely" I mean they made stuff up.

Are there child-sex trafficking rings operating in Washington D.C.? Yes, just as there are rings to be found in every major US city right now. Child predators operate out in the open on the Dark-Web, and are dictating the game over there. If this pizza place was a hub for kiddie rapers, you could easily find out on one of the many dark-web pedophile message boards, yet nothing has surfaced.

The sad, evil part of this CT is that it will make it easier for REAL child-sex rings to operate longer thanks to the credibility gap this has created. Shame on those who spread this lie.
You mean the CTists won't look for the evidence where you'd expect to find it, and insist on seeing it where you have to create it? Say it ain't so...

turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2016, 08:04 PM   #74
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

When a friend of mine was in vocational school, out of boredom she started playing this silly game with herself, and later a friend, to find sexual innuendo in everything said or written by everyone.

It takes a little practice, but once you get the knack of it, it becomes very hard NOT to hear sexually loaded talk everywhere all of the time.
Hilarity ensued in the case mentioned above.
Stupidity ensues when conspiracy theorists do it.
Old 28th November 2016, 08:59 PM   #75
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
When a friend of mine was in vocational school, out of boredom she started playing this silly game with herself, and later a friend, to find sexual innuendo in everything said or written by everyone.

It takes a little practice, but once you get the knack of it, it becomes very hard NOT to hear sexually loaded talk everywhere all of the time.
Hilarity ensued in the case mentioned above.
Stupidity ensues when conspiracy theorists do it.
"Friend of mine"- sure, sure, a "friend," wink wink nudge.
"Vocational school"- is that what they're calling it these days?
"she started playing this silly game with herself"- oh, dear lord.
"and later a friend"- oh, double dear lord.

Old 28th November 2016, 09:02 PM   #76
MicahJava
Master Poster

I remember seeing a bit in Mad Magazine with some weirdo ranting in a grocery store, holding a coupon book and yelling "See how the banana is positioned directly towards the Do-nut? Come on people, isn't it obvious?!"
Old 29th November 2016, 04:09 AM   #77
Halcyon Dayz
Critical Thinker

Illuminati's Razor: The most evil explanation must be the correct one.

Lister from Red Dwarf wants to retire as the owner of a Hot Dog and Donut stand on Fiji.
Old 29th November 2016, 04:20 AM   #78
Abooga
Muse

Comprehensive compilation of the "evidence" here:
https://dcpizzagate.wordpress.com/
If it´s all true, then perhaps we are being governed by a satanic child-sacrificing cult after all...

(this is an old conspiracy theory in Spain, see Alcasser murders, "La Ilustre Degeneración" etc.)

I admit these pictures are quite unsettling... why would one want to hang this in their bedroom wall...
Abooga is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2016, 04:53 AM   #79
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by MicahJava View Post
I remember seeing a bit in Mad Magazine with some weirdo ranting in a grocery store, holding a coupon book and yelling "See how the banana is positioned directly towards the Do-nut? Come on people, isn't it obvious?!"

A classic example from an old Canadian comedy show:

https://youtu.be/-a-GXqivhW0?t=4m29s
Old 29th November 2016, 05:06 AM   #80
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Abooga View Post
Comprehensive compilation of the "evidence" here:
https://dcpizzagate.wordpress.com/
If it´s all true, then perhaps we are being governed by a satanic child-sacrificing cult after all...

Okay, so if we are "being governed by a satanic child-sacrificing cult", why is it that in the last 40-50 years, laws against child sexual abuse and child porn have only gotten stronger?

Quote:
In the United States, the first federal law to ban the for-profit production and distribution of child pornography was the Protection of Children Against Sexual Exploitation Act of 1977.

Read that again: prior to 1977, there was no federal law against child porn in the US, and if you look into it, there weren't many in other countries either. Yet, somehow, during this period in which large parts of the government were in the hands of pedophiles, we somehow had laws passed that banned it, and those laws have only become stronger since, with far more effort put into enforcement. Why would a bunch of secret pedophiles have allowed that to happen?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories