ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Clinton conspiracies , Comet Pizza , John Podesta , pedophilia

Reply
Old 1st December 2016, 10:02 AM   #281
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,200
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Let me check my reddit gay dictionary...

...Woah! Not on board for this stuff at all. You're on your own.
I know it sounds harsh, but trust me Slowvehicle is a gentle . . . cook. He'll take care of you. Trust me.
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:03 AM   #282
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,200
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
Oh, I do. Believe me.

"Red", or "green" chile?

ETA: I, personally, like, "christmas"...)
Depends, if you are coming here it will be red, but if I'm going there it will be green. I know its boring, but there are some conventions that just make sense!
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:04 AM   #283
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,746
I've been hearing things about 'cheese stuffed crusts'. Are the legends true?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:07 AM   #284
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 80,578
I don't want to alarm any of you, but we stopped slaughtering cows a long time ago. Everything you eat that says "beef" is code for "illegal immigrant excess babies".
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:16 AM   #285
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Abooga View Post
As I said, I mean what I write. If you want to make "connections", it´s up to you, but I stick to what I said.
...a courtesy you ostentatiously do not extend to others...

Originally Posted by Abooga View Post
Quite hard to do, I´m in Spain. (I wouldn´t do it anyway even if I were in Washington. Well, perhaps I´d go for the pizza, it looks really nice)
But that would be the only way to expose the truth of your suspicions, no?
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:20 AM   #286
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Don't misquote me. YOU are the one making connections, not I.

You know about these new machines called "aeroplanes"?
It's all done with mirrors, innit?
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:21 AM   #287
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,746
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
It's all done with minors, innit?
ftfy
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:21 AM   #288
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I know it sounds harsh, but trust me Slowvehicle is a gentle . . . cook. He'll take care of you. Trust me.
Oh, yesss...
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:29 AM   #289
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Depends, if you are coming here it will be red, but if I'm going there it will be green. I know its boring, but there are some conventions that just make sense!
You are penciled in!

(Of course I'll bring both, just in case you get in an antic disposition...)
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:30 AM   #290
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I've been hearing things about 'cheese stuffed crusts'. Are the legends true?
What kind of "cheese" is the "crust" "stuffed" with?
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:31 AM   #291
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I don't want to alarm any of you, but we stopped slaughtering cows a long time ago. Everything you eat that says "beef" is code for "illegal immigrant excess babies".
(The vegetarian proudly raises his hand...)
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:32 AM   #292
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
ftfy
I suppose someone had to drop the third (and the seventh...)
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 10:59 AM   #293
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,746
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
I suppose someone had to drop the third (and the seventh...)
I plead the fifth.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 11:07 AM   #294
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 80,578
Hmmm... child sex rings, dead baby pizzas and occult paintings?

__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 11:14 AM   #295
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I plead the fifth.
How...dominant...of you.

(shivers)
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 11:18 AM   #296
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning
 
Skeptic Tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2,390
I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be true, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a BS conspiracy theory.

Certainly seems like there are some odd things about the culture surrounding that pizza joint, and the owner's name is strange. I'd be interested to see if there's been proof that it's his given name and wasn't changed at some point. Anyone seen anything like that, for instance - evidence of his parents or siblings having the same last name?
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 11:35 AM   #297
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 80,578
Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be true, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a BS conspiracy theory.

Certainly seems like there are some odd things about the culture surrounding that pizza joint, and the owner's name is strange. I'd be interested to see if there's been proof that it's his given name and wasn't changed at some point. Anyone seen anything like that, for instance - evidence of his parents or siblings having the same last name?
I guess that's all the proof you need.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 11:35 AM   #298
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 23,125
Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Knowing how horrific molestation is, shouldn't we take the subject very seriously? Is "I don't know what that communication not meant for me means, therefore child-sex ring" sort of trivializing to children who are in real danger?
I don't think it is trivializing of real abuse and its victims. On the contrary, I think an argument can be made that it's the seriousness of real cases of this kind of abuse that cause people to get their hackles up when they see things that make them suspicious, even if the suspicion is ultimately (or vastly) unwarranted in a given instance.

It is kind of dumb, though. And irresponsible, if the actual employees of this pizza parlor are being harassed and threatened in real life because somebody on the internet decided that a restaurant that serves chicken including the hashtag #chickenlovers in a public tweet could be making a secret reference to a pedophile orgy.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 11:38 AM   #299
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 80,578
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I don't think it is trivializing of real abuse and its victims.
The point is that it's the crying wolf effect: most people see that it's BS, and with each such story will tend to disregard the next story more and more, increasing the probability that a real case will be ignored.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 11:39 AM   #300
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing
 
jaydeehess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 40 miles north of the border
Posts: 20,824
Originally Posted by Abooga View Post
No need to ask, it comes as a standard, in this forum. If I wanted support from conspiracy theorists I´d post in burbuja.info, for example (a Spanish forum very fond of CT-s. Quite entertaining.)
You haven't read a lot of this forum then. There are many people posting here promoting what is generally referred to as "woo".
The posts of yours I quoted above guve no indication that you aren't one of them. If fact I cannot see any evidence in your posts, that you aren't, except when you respond to posts such as mine , where you claim to be just asking questions.

So here ya go, which way do you lean on this issue,
-something is suspicious and it there is decent evidence of a pedophile ring run from a pizza place and with many politically powerful members
OR
- these Redditt internet persons are out to lunch, paranoid idiots

Inquiring minds want to know.
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 11:43 AM   #301
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,023
This topic sure went to hell, didn't it?

I'm the first to admit that pain + pain meds = probably shouldn't try to post on the forums.

But, I did.

So.... I can either run from it, or try to rescue it, and try to inject a bit of sense into the discussion while I'm at it. I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes, so here I am.

Let's see if we can all start by establishing one point we can agree on, for the sake of further discussion, shall we?

Do we -most of us in this thread- agree the ""symbols and logos used by pedophiles" document posted by WikiLeaks is genuine and correct?

Here's a link: https://wikileaks.org/wiki/FBI_pedophile_symbols

Note: I'm not, at this time, discussing anything else that might be found on that site or that page. Only the document which has been claimed to be a genuine document, from the FBI.


Etededed to correct the code
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One

Last edited by DragonLady; 1st December 2016 at 11:45 AM.
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 11:58 AM   #302
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 80,578
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
Do we -most of us in this thread- agree the ""symbols and logos used by pedophiles" document posted by WikiLeaks is genuine and correct?

Here's a link: https://wikileaks.org/wiki/FBI_pedophile_symbols
How could I know? It sounds like DaVinci Code stuff. Why would pedophiles go around wearing something that identifies them?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:00 PM   #303
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,581
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
This topic sure went to hell, didn't it?

I'm the first to admit that pain + pain meds = probably shouldn't try to post on the forums.

But, I did.

So.... I can either run from it, or try to rescue it, and try to inject a bit of sense into the discussion while I'm at it. I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes, so here I am.

Let's see if we can all start by establishing one point we can agree on, for the sake of further discussion, shall we?

Do we -most of us in this thread- agree the ""symbols and logos used by pedophiles" document posted by WikiLeaks is genuine and correct?

Here's a link: https://wikileaks.org/wiki/FBI_pedophile_symbols

Note: I'm not, at this time, discussing anything else that might be found on that site or that page. Only the document which has been claimed to be a genuine document, from the FBI.


Etededed to correct the code
Even that is in doubt. Froma related issue with a heart shaped symbol:

http://www.snopes.com/code-for-pedophiles-on-toys/

Quote:
According to Bassone, the heart symbol in question indeed bore some resemblance to imagery disseminated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Cyber Division Innocent Images National Initiative to law enforcement agencies on 31 January 2007. (We were unable to locate the document anywhere other than Wikileaks, and Bassone told us that slides from the FBI's release later appeared on an episode of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit.) The communication tipped law enforcement in 2007 to the existence of the symbols and common applications among pedophiles:
Note that the link is the same wiki leak page. ETA: and who in his right mind would be using a symbol extremly likely to be already known by law enforcement ?

Last edited by Aepervius; 1st December 2016 at 12:03 PM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:03 PM   #304
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,023
Quote:
Why would pedophiles go around wearing something that identifies them?
I *assume* for the purposes of networking with others who share the same...affliction.

No different than military uniforms, band t-shirts, bumper stickers or fancy red hats.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:03 PM   #305
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sigil, the city of doors
Posts: 14,581
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I *assume* for the purposes of networking with others who share the same...affliction.

No different than military uniforms, band t-shirts, bumper stickers or fancy red hats.
Yes but that makes you a target for law enforcement as soon as the symbol is identified.
That makes it far different to those you cited.

ETA: there is a reason pedophile go for the dark web, because advertising what you are with symbol on your arm/finger/necklace is tantamount to attract the attention of people *warned* against pedophile, i.e. law enforcement, possibly child care department, school etc....

Gut feeling is that the probability for you to encounter somebody *warned* agaisnt the symbol is far higher than the probability of encountering another pedo at random.

But on the dark web you can prefilter.

That's why I find the statement dubious.

Last edited by Aepervius; 1st December 2016 at 12:06 PM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:04 PM   #306
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 80,578
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I *assume* for the purposes of networking with others who share the same...affliction.

No different than military uniforms, band t-shirts, bumper stickers or fancy red hats.
Yeah, except that what you wear is pretty useless when networking online, which is the safest place for them to interact.


That reminds me of the vampire symbols in the Blade movies that they plastered all over the place, just making it easier for Blade to slaughter them.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:14 PM   #307
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I *assume* for the purposes of networking with others who share the same...affliction.

No different than military uniforms, band t-shirts, bumper stickers or fancy red hats.
I encourage you to read Time Considered as a Heix of Semi-Precious Stones by Samuel Delany. (http://classes.dma.ucla.edu/Fall10/1...eDelany_01.pdf)

Were there such a "code", believe me, it would be changed any time the 'danes caught on...
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze

Last edited by Slowvehicle; 1st December 2016 at 01:57 PM.
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:20 PM   #308
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,023
Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Even that is in doubt. Froma related issue with a heart shaped symbol:

http://www.snopes.com/code-for-pedophiles-on-toys/



Note that the link is the same wiki leak page. ETA: and who in his right mind would be using a symbol extremly likely to be already known by law enforcement ?

Right. Here's where we start running into muddy water.

A symbol is just an image, like any other. Every viewer of any image is going to bring their own perception to it.

Audi used something that looked like the "goatse" symbol in one of their ad campaigns. Either the person who used it had no clue what it meant, was being a smart ass, or actually invented something without recognizing the similarity.

Whatever the case, the idea that a particular word, symbol or other device is entirely unique to one group, and has only one meaning, and will never be hijacked. misconstrued or used by sheer coincidence by someone else is silly.

I recall seeing the "heart within a heart" symbol painted on the wall of my gynecologist's office decades ago when I was pregnant. I thought nothing of it then, and I don't now.

However, I think part of being a skeptic is not just waving away things as being coincidental without taking a long, hard look at the facts -or lack thereof- around an issue, all kinds of things really can hide in plain sight.

The biggest problem with conspiracy theories is: sometimes they're true. So it's not fair, IMO, for anyone to just dismiss something out-of-hand because it is unlikely.

When we do, respected priests and well liked teachers and decorated officers shock the community by being caught doing things no one thought they would ever do.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:24 PM   #309
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,023
Quote:
Yeah, except that what you wear is pretty useless when networking online, which is the safest place for them to interact
Agreed. But very few people of any persuasion literally live on the internet.

Most, no matter who they are or what they like to do, want to seek out the company of others who are like minded.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:27 PM   #310
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 80,578
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
Agreed. But very few people of any persuasion literally live on the internet.

Most, no matter who they are or what they like to do, want to seek out the company of others who are like minded.
Considering their very small numbers, I'm not sure visual cues like this have any use. Again, they mostly have to meet on the 'net.

And can I ask you to include my name in the posts you reply to? It's a bit hard to know who you're replying to if you just post the text without the link to the original post.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:31 PM   #311
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,023
Quote:
Yes but that makes you a target for law enforcement as soon as the symbol is identified.
Only if said law enforcement recognizes it, and doesn't shrug it off as mere coincidence.

Further: if wearing a ring with little pyramids on it is a sign of something big, but there tens of thousands of them being worn by people who have no clue, that symbol is only a small tell to anyone looking.

For instance, if I'm looking for a member of the Red Hat Society, I might first look for the most obvious signs: red hats, and purple shirts. If there either a) none of those or b) too many of those, I'd know I have to look for other signs. If I were a member of the group, I would probably have a good idea what to look for, so I'd keep narrowing down the list of possibilities 'til I found someone that looked like a sure bet.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:39 PM   #312
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,746
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
However, I think part of being a skeptic is not just waving away things as being coincidental without taking a long, hard look at the facts -or lack thereof- around an issue, all kinds of things really can hide in plain sight.

The biggest problem with conspiracy theories is: sometimes they're true. So it's not fair, IMO, for anyone to just dismiss something out-of-hand because it is unlikely.
How about dismissing it because after months and months, all the conspiracy theorists have been able to come up with is that there are hashtags referring to food on a pizzeria's Instagram and that there might be either antlers or a tree in a painting?
Any kind of evidence, or testimony from either a victim or accomplice would be a reason to keep looking. Pareidolia and witch hunts deserve to be dismissed

:
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
Further: if wearing a ring with little pyramids on it is a sign of something big, but there tens of thousands of them being worn by people who have no clue, that symbol is only a small tell to anyone looking.
If the identifying symbol of your secret organisation is something used by numerous people who do not belong to your group, it's a very poor identifier.

Last edited by Porpoise of Life; 1st December 2016 at 12:45 PM.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:44 PM   #313
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 80,578
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
How about dismissing it because after months and months, all the conspiracy theorists have been able to come up with is that there are hashtags referring to food on a pizzeria's Instagram and that there might be either antlers or a tree in a painting?
Any kind of evidence, or testimony from either a victim or accomplice would be a reason to keep looking. Pareidolia and witch hunts deserve to be dismissed
Say, Porpoise, I notice that your avatar is vaguely similar to those FBI symbols that DragonLady linked to a short while back. I'm not making a claim or anything, and I'm certainly not perpetuating baseless accusations that you are part of the pizza ring or anything, but it is.... weird, innit?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 12:56 PM   #314
jnelso99
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 785
Just jumping into this thread late, but if people find the guy's artwork weird, just check out his music:

https://weirdestbandintheworld.com/2...on-de-dionyso/
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 01:01 PM   #315
DragonLady
Illuminator
 
DragonLady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,023
Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
How about dismissing it because after months and months, all the conspiracy theorists have been able to come up with is that there are hashtags referring to food on a pizzeria's Instagram and that there might be either antlers or a tree in a painting?
The weird art is meaningless to me. I'll join the disgruntled group that gets a bit annoyed to see those works bring acclaim, when other artists spend tens of thousands of hours studying and practicing to produce far more interesting and thought-provoking works.


Quote:
Any kind of evidence, or testimony from either a victim or accomplice would be a reason to keep looking.
Is anyone looking for evidence or testimonies?

Quote:
Pareidolia and witch hunts deserve to be dismissed
Agreed.

Quote:
:
If the identifying symbol of your secret organisation is something used by numerous people who do not belong to your group, it's a very poor identifier.
I'm not sure I quite agree with that. As I said above, it might only be a tiny tell, but it might be enough to convince me to take further steps toward positive identification.

And I suppose I hope that is what law enforcement does in these cases.
__________________
http://www.troubador.co.uk/book_info.asp?bookid=2499

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 01:05 PM   #316
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 80,578
Well, thanks to Wikileaks now they know the FBI is on to them so they can change the symbols.

Huh. Assange helped child molesters. Weird, innit?
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 01:20 PM   #317
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator
 
Porpoise of Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,746
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Say, Porpoise, I notice that your avatar is vaguely similar to those FBI symbols that DragonLady linked to a short while back. I'm not making a claim or anything, and I'm certainly not perpetuating baseless accusations that you are part of the pizza ring or anything, but it is.... weird, innit?
No way, I love kids! Wait, that came out wrong.

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post

Is anyone looking for evidence or testimonies?
I honestly have no idea. But I wouldn't blame law enforcement for not looking too deeply if all they have are accusations by political opponents, based on word games (James Alefantis sounds like "j'aime les enfants") and far-fetched connections (the brother of a guy who held fundraisers there has a large modern art collection that includes nudes)
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 01:43 PM   #318
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist
 
Checkmite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 23,125
Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
ETA: there is a reason pedophile go for the dark web, because advertising what you are with symbol on your arm/finger/necklace is tantamount to attract the attention of people *warned* against pedophile, i.e. law enforcement, possibly child care department, school etc....
In theory, yes.

In practice, no. In the US, advocating for pedophilia is protected by the first amendment; so pro-pedophile rhetoric websites exist - on the regular, non-dark web - and they apparently freely and openly use the triangle and the heart symbols that appear on the alleged FBI document. So regardless of whether the document is a genuine FBI document, or whether they appeared on a TV show episode or when, it does appear these symbols are used by pedophiles in the manner the document contends.
__________________
"¿WHAT KIND OF BIRD?
¿A PARANORMAL BIRD?"
--- Carlos S., 2002
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 01:50 PM   #319
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,200
Originally Posted by Slowvehicle View Post
What kind of "cheese" is the "crust" "stuffed" with?
Like you don't know, you cheeky monkey.

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
This topic sure went to hell, didn't it?
I'm fairly certain it started in hell and has just walled there not having enough substance to move.

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
No different than military uniforms, band t-shirts, bumper stickers or fancy red hats.
Which of those get you arrested?

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
Right. Here's where we start running into muddy water.
It never got out of the muddy water. There was nothing but muddy water. There is better evidence that participants in this thread are child molesters than anything the OP or you have brought to the table.

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
How about dismissing it because after months and months, all the conspiracy theorists have been able to come up with is that there are hashtags referring to food on a pizzeria's Instagram and that there might be either antlers or a tree in a painting?
Nah, the lack of evidence is proof of the coverup!
__________________
Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2016, 01:55 PM   #320
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy
 
Slowvehicle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Posts: 17,348
Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Like you don't know, you cheeky monkey.



"chalcedony"
__________________
"They want to make their molehills equal to the mountains by cutting the mountains down." -turingtest
"The universe did not come from nothing, it came from 'We don't know'." -Dancing David
"Cry, booga, booga, booga! and let slip the Hamsters of Silly!" -JFDHintze
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.