ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Venezuela incidents , Venezuela issues , Venezuela politics

Old 3rd November 2018, 05:23 AM   #361
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
For anyone other than Venezuela to impose martial law in Venezuela would obviously require an occupation as well.

In cases like this, I think you usually pay somebody to pretend to represent the country, and then you call it coming to the rescue rather than invading.
(Yes, it would require an occupation.)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 10:51 AM   #362
lomiller
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Oh, I know the UN isn't interested in cleaning up messes. But my proposal is that the UN would have a military arm that can create the necessary conditions for the UN to come in and clean up a mess already made by one of its members.
No, your proposal is for the US to come in can create a mess that canít be cleaned up any time soon then ask the UN to come in and try and fix it.

I'd be content to have the US deal with it,
Like theyíve ďdealtĒ with it in Iraq and Afghanistan? The US is bad at this type of mission to begin with, but even countries that are good at it can only do so much.
I disagree. We smashed the German Nazi and Japanese Imperial governments, but didn't have to rebuild democratic institutions completely from scratch to get those countries back on their feet again.
The instruction at the top isnít the issue. (In Japan, even the Emperor was left in place). In Japan the people who did the day to day work of keeping things running in an orderly fashion didnít change at all. In Germany they were more or less restored to the same people who were doing it before with some attention to weeding out the war criminals and hard-core Nazi supporters.
Old 5th November 2018, 11:10 AM   #363
lomiller
Philosopher

For example, a coalition of belligerents under the aegis of a UNSC resolution to depose the offending regime, secure the country, and provide a temporary system of order under martial law; and a UN Peacekeeper mission that comes into the country to help rebuild it and set it on a footing where it is once again on the road to success.
Iím not sure you understand how peacekeeping works. Peacekeepers are not police, they primarily work with local leaders and act as independent third parties that all sides can have some degree of trust in. If you smash the leadership in Venezuela who exactly are they going to work with?

The inevitable outcome of your plan is that criminals and local warlords with no interest in peace fill the power vacuum. Itís very difficult to deal with groups like this because their power base is predicated on maintaining instability and they know it. They keep their power by undermining everyone elseís ability to maintain infrastructure and basic services.
Old 5th November 2018, 12:46 PM   #364
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
The inevitable outcome of your plan is that criminals and local warlords with no interest in peace fill the power vacuum. Itís very difficult to deal with groups like this because their power base is predicated on maintaining instability and they know it. They keep their power by undermining everyone elseís ability to maintain infrastructure and basic services.
Yeah, that's Afghanistan, and the drug lord history of the region tells me Venezuela would have a similar fate (read, for example, News of a Kidnapping, about neighboring Colombia). Colombia is only now coming to terms with FARC.
Old 20th November 2018, 09:09 AM   #365
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

The Trump administration is possibly putting Venezuela on the terrorism watch list. If they do, it's primarily due to their Vice President Minister of Industries and National Production:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/trum...r-list-2018-11

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tareck_El_Aissami

Last edited by LSSBB; 20th November 2018 at 09:12 AM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 07:44 AM   #366
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Useful: Venezuela for US/European/Western dummies
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 07:56 AM   #367
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Useful for what? Shilling for the failed ideology of a kleptocrat?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2018, 08:05 AM   #368
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Useful idiot perhaps
Old 1st December 2018, 02:13 PM   #369
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I am so relieved to learn from that website that the genocide of Bosnians didn't really happen.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:40 AM   #370
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

According to the International Monetary Fund, inflation should reach ten million percent in 2019. The country is struggling to produce enough oil for exports, and food, toilet paper and other daily staples are hard to find. Crime is rampant, and the economy is now based on barter, with goods having greater value than the worthless government currency, the bolivar.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature...bean-war-39987
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:48 AM   #371
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...5f4_story.html

Russia is moving in, apparently.
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:02 AM   #372
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
That's like buying a house in Detroit. Sure, you got it for cheap, but there's a reason for that.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 10:57 PM   #373
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Country that has enough of its own economical problems trying to salvage economically collapsing country? That will end well for both of them...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2019, 12:54 AM   #374
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Country that has enough of its own economical problems trying to salvage economically collapsing country? That will end well for both of them...
Both have to get their friends where they can find them.
Old 5th January 2019, 03:53 PM   #375
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Both have to get their friends where they can find them.
"Friends"
Old 6th January 2019, 01:29 AM   #376
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

"Friends"
With unbenefits.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2019, 02:04 AM   #377
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
"Friends"
The only kinds they have.
Old 6th January 2019, 07:51 AM   #378
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Russia gonna Russ.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 10:53 AM   #379
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
With unbenefits.
Oh, I don't know. I have a feeling that Russia is gonna **** Venezuela. Hard.
Old 7th January 2019, 11:24 AM   #380
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's like buying a house in Detroit. Sure, you got it for cheap, but there's a reason for that.
If you're looking to start up a brothel or a meth lab, those reasons may be a feature, not a bug.

This. The current regime in Russia is a kleptocratic oligarchy. Venezuela is their Cuba. This bodes very ill for Venezuela.

I'm reminded of a short side-story in one of the early seasons of The Sopranos. The mob uses loan sharks to get their hooks into a local businessman. Then they use that leverage to take over his business and use it as a front for a variety of money-making schemes. The schemes are all swindles, and none of them are sustainable. There's a moment when the hapless victim realizes that Tony and his crew have no intention of keeping his business running. They're going to milk him for every last drop of cash, every last ounce of reputation. When he and his business are all used up, they're going to discard him like a dirty tissue and go find some other poor schmuck to run into the ground.

At least the Soviets were able to offer Cuba a vision of a Better Tomorrow. All Putin's Russia has to offer Venezuela is the tip the scorpion gave to the toad, halfway through their journey together. President Maduro is probably feeling an uncomfortable itch between his shoulder blades right now, but his hands are probably tied. It looks like even China is cutting its losses.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2019, 11:30 AM   #381
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

And then finally, when there's nothing left, when you can't borrow another buck from the bank or buy another case of booze, you bust the joint out. You light a match.
Old 9th January 2019, 01:34 PM   #382
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Detailed interview with Maduro by the famous Ignacio Ramonet, in three parts:

https://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/14206
https://venezuelanalysis.com/interviews/14209
https://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/14212
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 07:44 PM   #383
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Like RUssia has always done with it's "buddies".
I don't even think Russia can help Venezuela that much. it's not like Russia has all that much economic power nowdays. It has a big military but with a weak economic support base.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 08:07 PM   #384
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Let me guess: Part Four is where he explains how the Russian partnership is a good thing for the citizens of Venezuela.
Old 11th January 2019, 08:47 AM   #385
catsmate
No longer the 1

Castro's chosen authorised biographer ranting in a Venezuelan government sponsored propaganda site? No thanks.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 09:20 AM   #386
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Castro's chosen authorised biographer ranting in a Venezuelan government sponsored propaganda site? No thanks.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 12:24 PM   #387
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

He's a famous journalist, but we need to be told he's famous.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 12:53 PM   #388
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe he's infamous?
Old 11th January 2019, 12:58 PM   #389
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
He's a famous journalist, but we need to be told he's famous.
Well, yes. Some of us don't read authorized Castro biographies like we should.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:00 PM   #390
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe he's infamous?
Maybe his nickname is El Guapo.
Old 11th January 2019, 04:46 PM   #391
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Did ya all see the Black Mirror episode with Bryce Dallas Howard? Where everyone gets a social rating number and if it drops too low they don't let you in fancier restaurants and people won't date you?

Well China is bulding a "good communist citizen" rating and piloting it for the Venezuelan dictatorship. If your rating drops too low, you can find yourself denied loans and banking and god knows what.

Haven't seen anything this horrid like it since the Nazis did a trial run of blitzkrieg on Guernica.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 04:58 PM   #392
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
Did ya all see the Black Mirror episode with Bryce Dallas Howard? Where everyone gets a social rating number and if it drops too low they don't let you in fancier restaurants and people won't date you?

Well China is bulding a "good communist citizen" rating and piloting it for the Venezuelan dictatorship. If your rating drops too low, you can find yourself denied loans and banking and god knows what.

Haven't seen anything this horrid like it since the Nazis did a trial run of blitzkrieg on Guernica.
The East Germans implemented a program of teaching children to inform on their parents. For me, that's the most horrid expression of a police state yet recorded in human history.
Old 12th January 2019, 09:56 AM   #393
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

It wasn't just East Germany. The USSR had the cult of Pavel Morozov.
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:53 PM   #394
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

So after the Empire in form of Pence declared openly their illegal regime change intentions, Trump - for the LULz - appointed-by-tweet a US puppet as "Interim president". That will go down well with the Venezuelan people, I'm sure.
Old 23rd January 2019, 01:47 PM   #395
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Well poverty and death haven't gone over well with them so a change is inevitable
Old 23rd January 2019, 02:20 PM   #396
fagin
Philosopher

So after the Empire in form of Pence declared openly their illegal regime change intentions, Trump - for the LULz - appointed-by-tweet a US puppet as "Interim president". That will go down well with the Venezuelan people, I'm sure.
Well Maduro didn't take it well.

""Get out!": Maduro breaks relations with US and demands all consular staff leave in next 72 hours "

https://edition.cnn.com/americas/liv...e40474915cbd9f
Old 23rd January 2019, 02:38 PM   #397
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

""Get out!": Maduro breaks relations with US and demands all consular staff leave in next 72 hours "

Huh. I didn't realize the US still had relations with Venezuela to break off.
Old 23rd January 2019, 03:43 PM   #398
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

Well, that went well. Did he ask the same of Canada?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2019, 03:52 PM   #399
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, that went well. Did he ask the same of Canada?
Dumb,dumb move.
Now the US will give the Venezuelan diplomats in the US there walking papers (as much as I hate Trump, I think any US president would react in this way.it's SOP in diplomacy) and the two goverments will communicate by back channels.
I keep on saying, except for the leftist rhetoric, the Venezuelan govemrent has become the same as any other "El Presendente" style Latin American dictatorship.
I bet Maduro would be terrible at playing "Tropico"...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th January 2019, 01:48 AM   #400
Gaetan
Master Poster

The president of Venezuela has the support of his population. The opponent in Venezuela and US are responsable for the bad economy in this country and for the government Maduro to live the control of the country to the people who ruin the country is not a thing to do.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics