ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alice walker , anti-semitism charges , david icke

Old 17th December 2018, 11:54 AM   #1
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Alice Walker Pimps David Icke in the NY Times

The interviewer asks her what books are currently on her nightstand. The second book mentioned is by Lizard Lad:

Quote:
“And the Truth Shall Set You Free,” by David Icke. In Icke’s books there is the whole of existence, on this planet and several others, to think about. A curious person’s dream come true.
For a famous writer, she expresses herself poorly here, but obviously this is intended as a hook. "If you're curious, this book will be like a dream come true."

The interviewer does not challenge her on this bizarre recommendation, and there is not even a disclaimer at the bottom of the article. Tablet Magazine takes up the issue:

Quote:
In And The Truth Shall You Free, the word “Jewish” appears 241 times, and the name “Rothschild” is mentioned 374 times. These references are not compliments. Indeed, the book was so obviously anti-Semitic that Icke’s publisher refused to publish it, and he had to print it himself.
Tablet notes that this is hardly a one-off incident; Walker has been promoting Icke's trash for years, as the media assiduously looks the other way.

Quote:
Why has Walker escaped accountability for so long? Perhaps it is due to her Israel politics, which have been used to confuse the issue. Walker is a prominent supporter of the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel, famously forbidding The Color Purple from being translated into the language of Hebrew. Because Walker—like Icke—is a strident critic of Israel, her defenders—like Icke’s—have dismissed allegations of anti-Semitism by claiming they are merely an attempt to quash her criticism of the Jewish state.

But it should not surprise anyone that the world’s only Jewish state, home to half its Jews, would attract the attention of anti-Semites, who would use the legitimate debate over its conduct to smuggle in their anti-Jewish bile. Anti-Zionism may not be anti-Semitism, but plenty of self-described anti-Zionists are anti-Semites. A progressive left that is serious about anti-Semitism will call it out not only when it comes from a white supremacist and is presented as “race realism,” but when it comes from their own camp and is presented in the righteous guise of “anti-Zionism.”
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2018, 12:06 PM   #2
carlitos
"más divertido"

I'm not a fan of her work, but if I were, it wouldn't surprise or affect me much. I'm merely amused when artists whose works I like turn out to be fruit loops. A person so lost in identity politics that she had to invent a word for being a black feminist turns out to be anti-Semitic and reads anti-Semitic conspiracy nutjob books? Well, knock me over with a feather.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2018, 12:09 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

famously forbidding The Color Purple from being translated into the language of Hebrew.
This is something I don't understand. If you have a vision for a better tomorrow. If you have ideas about relationships and values that you believe should be shared. If you have insights about the human that you think others would benefit from considering. Then why would you refuse to share with those who need it most?

If Alice Walker believes that she think and feels better than many Israelis, why would she deny Israelis access to her work? How will the Jews become better people, if better people refuse to interact with them and share the example of a better life?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2018, 07:32 PM   #4
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I thought Alice Walker would have better sense, but you never know.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2018, 08:06 PM   #5
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

I thought Alice Walker was Jimmy Walker's mother from Good Times
Old 23rd December 2018, 04:42 PM   #6
Allen773
Muse

I'm more surprised about her being a fan of David Icke than being "merely" an anti-Semite.
Allen773 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 07:55 PM   #7
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I thought Alice Walker would have better sense, but you never know.
Never understivmate the power and appeal of "Radical Chic".

As to why Walker has gotten away with this crap for so long the answer is easy:If you are highly regarded writer you can get away with murder. Ultimate example of that was Ezra Pound,the American Poet. He went so far to move to Italy in the late 1930's because of his support for fascism;made propaganda broadcasts during the war that were largely Anti Semitic rants, but when he was arrested after the war a good many of the American Intelligensia still made excuses for him and demanded his release. The more thing change, etc.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 9th January 2019 at 08:00 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 09:06 PM   #8
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Never understivmate the power and appeal of "Radical Chic".

As to why Walker has gotten away with this crap for so long the answer is easy:If you are highly regarded writer you can get away with murder. Ultimate example of that was Ezra Pound,the American Poet.
Or William Burroughs who got away with.... murder!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 09:09 PM   #9
RolandRat
Thinker

One anti-Semite promotes another anti-Semite. News at 10.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2019, 09:33 PM   #10
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
famously forbidding The Color Purple from being translated into the language of Hebrew.
This is something I don't understand. If you have a vision for a better tomorrow. If you have ideas about relationships and values that you believe should be shared. If you have insights about the human that you think others would benefit from considering. Then why would you refuse to share with those who need it most?

If Alice Walker believes that she think and feels better than many Israelis, why would she deny Israelis access to her work? How will the Jews become better people, if better people refuse to interact with them and share the example of a better life?
You presume that she considers Jews people, at all.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories