ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th February 2019, 10:03 AM   #121
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Maybe. But when someone complains about the politics of an article without even reading it and without a note of sympathy for the people being harassed its obvious where their concerns lie.
I agree that baron could've at least skimmed the piece, but that's no excuse to accuse him of being ok with harrassment.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:15 AM   #122
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I agree that baron could've at least skimmed the piece, but that's no excuse to accuse him of being ok with harrassment.
He's more concerned with attacking the piece and those who criticize him for his attacks than he is for these victims, that much is obvious. Maybe he's not "OK" with it, but he's sure determine to bury and ignore their suffering because he doesn't like their politics.

Again, we saw this crap back in the day with Truthers complaining about politics of an article rather than address the issues. We could quite easily see why they would prefer to do that. Same thing here.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 10:22 AM   #123
baron
Philosopher

He's more concerned with attacking the piece and those who criticize him for his attacks than he is for these victims, that much is obvious. Maybe he's not "OK" with it, but he's sure determine to bury and ignore their suffering because he doesn't like their politics.
What I'm concerned with is articles that, through omission, give the impression that either the victims of harassment, threat and fake news are on the political left, or the perpetrators are on the right.

And please, quit with the holier than thou stuff, it's so cringy.
Old 5th February 2019, 12:00 PM   #124
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post
Recently I've come to the conclusion that left-wingers and right-wingers have their own psychological profiles. They tend to fall for different logical fallacies.

Just like men are drawn to technical woo and your holocaust-denial conference fills up with sad dudes, and women like vague woo, filling the ranks of the local New-Age centre. So Right-wingers like are drawn to conspiracies (that actually fit the definition of conspiracy theory), left-wingers have a less easily defined bias that recasts any structure of competence and order as evil and anything that stands in opposition to the powers that be as brave rebels or noble savages.

The end result for those under the microscope is the same. it doesn't matter if 4Chan declared your pizza-restaurant the suspected scene of democrat child-abuse or that a million lefties on Twitter think that you smiled in a very racist way and need to be doxed and hunted down. You still have to move out of your house.
So you don't think there are swarms of right wingers harassing people via Twitter?

Not to mention all the Russian bots spreading propaganda in 2016 and beyond. And how about Brexit, is it right wingers or left wingers on social media?

Also, I think you over-estimate the number of people it takes to harass people on social media. I'd wager the numbers are quite small.
Old 5th February 2019, 12:19 PM   #125
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That's slightly amusing. I collect those, by the way. I'll put yours on my wall right next to logger's accusation that I'm a left-wing extremist.

For my record, I'm a centrist. I equally despise both "sides" so long as they play sides.
I don't care what logger thought. You still come across as right wing and I suspect you don't think being Libertarian is right wing, IMO.

How does that compute? You would have to consider a single CTer left-wing in order to believe that most 9-11 CTers are left-wing? How does that work?
So Alex Jones is a single CTer and doesn't have a following of 911 truthers?

I don't think we are going to come to agreement here.
Old 5th February 2019, 12:22 PM   #126
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I don't care what logger thought.
Neither do I. I just find amusing, and simultaneously frustrating, that people on the left call me right wing and people on the right call me left wing. It's like none of you realise that not everyone has a "wing".

Quote:
You still come across as right wing
In what way? Is it the constant arguments I have against Ziggurat and TBD and the other conservatives on this forum that tipped you off?

Quote:
and I suspect you don't think being Libertarian is right wing, IMO.
That might be because it's on a completely different axis, yeah. Maybe the problem is that you don't know what right wing means.

Quote:
So Alex Jones is a single CTer and doesn't have a following of 911 truthers?
Strawman. Try harder.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 12:35 PM   #127
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Neither do I. I just find amusing, and simultaneously frustrating, that people on the left call me right wing and people on the right call me left wing. It's like none of you realise that not everyone has a "wing".

In what way? Is it the constant arguments I have against Ziggurat and TBD and the other conservatives on this forum that tipped you off?
I don't pay attention to those discussions. But I said you weren't alt-right (IMO) and if you argue with those guys that would be consistent.

That might be because it's on a completely different axis, yeah. Maybe the problem is that you don't know what right wing means.

From my POV Libertarians don't think there is a place for community contributions. Any safety net is an involuntary redistribution of wealth they don't owe.

I'm not sure what measurements put you on the left side of the axis in your graph but I imagine it's related to liberal social views.

Look, just because people don't see you like you see you is simply human nature. Some people in this forum put me in Bernie Sanders camp and I'm not, at all. So what?

Strawman. Try harder.
Well then explain what you meant.

Never mind, time to move on.
Old 5th February 2019, 12:42 PM   #128
Belz...
Fiend God

From my POV Libertarians don't think there is a place for community contributions. Any safety net is an involuntary redistribution of wealth they don't owe.
Which is pretty much the opposite of what I believe. Keep in mind that "libertarian" means something a bit different in the US than in general. I personally think that there needs to be a balance between individual freedom and civil responsabilities, though where that balance should be is a discussion for another time.

Quote:
I'm not sure what measurements put you on the left side of the axis in your graph but I imagine it's related to liberal social views.
A mixture. On some social issues I lean left, on others right, on others center, on others I have no opinion; same for fiscal policies, etc. I don't owe any "side" any sort of loyalty.

Quote:
Look, just because people don't see you like you see you is simply human nature.
No argument there. You're just wrong about my leanings.

Quote:
Well then explain what you meant.
I meant exactly what I wrote. You expanded on it for no reason. Alex Jones, in and of himself, does not break the rule that was claimed by another poster, whether or not the rule is true. Hell, I can't even tell if that asshat is on the left wing or the right one. I'd put him on the crazy wing.

Old 5th February 2019, 01:29 PM   #129
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
Ah, those were the days, when Alex Jones was a proud left-winger speaking Truth to Power and standing up to the evil, manipulative BushHitler who was behind 9/11.
Left Wing Conspiracy loons of the Truther variery and Jones were best buddies until 2008.
For a long time Jones would swing left or right based on which bunch of suckers were ripe of the plucking this week, but I think in the past few years Jones as swung so heavily to the right it will be very hard for him to make a course correction.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 01:31 PM   #130
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed, I has read about these victims before but there were a couple of new ones and their stories are just as horrid.

That the first reply about this article was an outright handwaving dismissal of these stories simply because their political fee-fees might be hurt would be bad enough in USA Politics, but that it happened in Conspiracy Theories is appalling. Frankly some folks should be ashamed of their defense of that position.

Times were the origin or side of a CT might be mentioned but never used as a way to dismiss debunkings or stories like this. At least not by the avid members of this subforum who actively worked at critical thinking.

Now I would swear the spirit of BeAChooser and Robert Prey have infected some posters in this thread.

What the hell happened.
Tribalism.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 01:36 PM   #131
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
OK, maybe not in scale but there's always Jimmy Dore on Youtube. Fake Syrian bomb attacks anyone?
"Counterpunch" is another example of Left Wing Conspiracy Nonsense. It's not quite as crude as Infowars,but pushing conspiracy theories is it's main stock in trade.
No left wing conspiracy page or loon has reached the sort of fame that Infowars and Jones have achieved but they are out there, believe me.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th February 2019, 01:40 PM   #132
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Recently I've come to the conclusion that left-wingers and right-wingers have their own psychological profiles. They tend to fall for different logical fallacies.

Just like men are drawn to technical woo and your holocaust-denial conference fills up with sad dudes, and women like vague woo, filling the ranks of the local New-Age centre. So Right-wingers like are drawn to conspiracies (that actually fit the definition of conspiracy theory), left-wingers have a less easily defined bias that recasts any structure of competence and order as evil and anything that stands in opposition to the powers that be as brave rebels or noble savages.

The end result for those under the microscope is the same. it doesn't matter if 4Chan declared your pizza-restaurant the suspected scene of democrat child-abuse or that a million lefties on Twitter think that you smiled in a very racist way and need to be doxed and hunted down. You still have to move out of your house.
There is also a difference in style. Left Wing Conspiracy Crap tries to be more sophisticated,and much of it has intellectual pretensions. But it's just a different way of serving up bull crap.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th February 2019, 01:49 PM   #133
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
OK, maybe not in scale but there's always Jimmy Dore on Youtube. Fake Syrian bomb attacks anyone?
And Syria is not the only thing that Jimmy Dore has fallen off the deep end on.
He is also a defender of Putin, and thinks the whole Russia investigation is a plot to discredit Putin. He denies Russian invovlemnt in the 2016 election.
In fact, Dore echoes the Trump party line on Russsia a lot of the time.
Dore seems to be a Berniebot who so hates Hilary Clinton for defeating Bernie that he is glad that Trump won. He dimisses Trump as a "corrupt plutocrat" but seems to be doing some of Donnie's dirty work for him.
There are reasons why most of one time partners on the left have disavowed and denounced Jimmy Dore's antics.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 5th February 2019, 02:44 PM   #134
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
You mean to say that if someone linked to a Daily Stormer article you wouldn't post something along the lines of "I'm not reading that crap, it's a bunch of far right garbage"? Because that's essentially all I said aside from switching the politics around. And the best part of it - I was right.
Nope. Never have, although that is more a comment on the site than on anything posted on it. Part of it is the principle of not commenting on a post or even a website without direct knowledge of it, but part of it is that the Daily Stormer is so widely viewed as a pile of dog poop why should I bother to get my shoes filthy, visit, and weigh in my two cents?

I am glad for you that you think you were right although I have a very different view (which is nicely shared and presented up thread by others). I also gather being right in a prediction was the primary goal of your post, rather than providing any real insight to us others. so thank you for sharing.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 02:59 PM   #135
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Nope. Never have, although that is more a comment on the site than on anything posted on it. Part of it is the principle of not commenting on a post or even a website without direct knowledge of it, but part of it is that the Daily Stormer is so widely viewed as a pile of dog poop why should I bother to get my shoes filthy, visit, and weigh in my two cents?
So you wouldn't dismiss the article as far right garbage, you'd just dismiss the site as far right garbage and not bother reading the article because, well, that must be far right garbage too. In other words, when you dismiss something you're justified, when I do it I'm wrong. Not the best argument ever.

I am glad for you that you think you were right although I have a very different view (which is nicely shared and presented up thread by others).
That's incorrect. Nobody showed that I was wrong in my assessment.

I also gather being right in a prediction was the primary goal of your post, rather than providing any real insight to us others. so thank you for sharing.
Do you think you're providing insight right now? Again, it's OK for you to make vacuous posts because reasons, but when someone else does it it's oh so terrible and wrong.
Old 5th February 2019, 05:25 PM   #136
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

So you wouldn't dismiss the article as far right garbage, you'd just dismiss the site as far right garbage and not bother reading the article because, well, that must be far right garbage too. In other words, when you dismiss something you're justified, when I do it I'm wrong. Not the best argument ever.

Do you think you're providing insight right now? Again, it's OK for you to make vacuous posts because reasons, but when someone else does it it's oh so terrible and wrong.
You again are not reading my posts very carefully. In the absence of me visiting I did not comment directly on the Daily Stormer as garbage but noted that this was a common view held by others here (which I gathered by reading their posts carefully). But I agree, my wording should have been even more careful and I should have worded it more accurately: that I did not want to potentially get my shoes filthy, a possibility I recognized by reading the opinion of these others rather than visit the site myself. My poor wording in this regard is based on some emotions I have due to having lost a significant number of my older relatives in the Holocaust; I do not wish to potentially encourage possible neo-Nazis by clicking on their website; otherwise I would indeed visit the site to check it out for myself. That is what I prefer. The link in the OP probably does not carry such an emotional burden for you, so I find it harder to understand why you did not simply click on it. Perhaps actually reading the article would have made it harder for you to be dismissive of it?

More broadly are you still attempting to justify posting an dismissive analysis of an article you never even bothered to open to read? And proud of it? And whether you recognize it or not your prediction was not accurate as the many posts in this thread document. But how would you know how accurate you were? Did you finally relent and actually read the link? If so then continuing this discussion is kind of silly.

indeed I think I was providing insight by emphasizing that it is wrong to judge an article and publicly comment on it despite never having looked at it. Doing so lowers one's general credibility. But finally of course attempting to justify one's own actions based on what sins others commit doesn't really work, does it? If something is wrong it is still wrong no matter how many do it.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2019, 06:08 PM   #137
Belz...
Fiend God

Now the question is: where you right because of some astute calculation, or because of the broken clock principle?

Old 5th February 2019, 07:14 PM   #138
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

You again are not reading my posts very carefully. In the absence of me visiting I did not comment directly on the Daily Stormer as garbage but noted that this was a common view held by others here (which I gathered by reading their posts carefully). But I agree, my wording should have been even more careful and I should have worded it more accurately: that I did not want to potentially get my shoes filthy, a possibility I recognized by reading the opinion of these others rather than visit the site myself. My poor wording in this regard is based on some emotions I have due to having lost a significant number of my older relatives in the Holocaust; I do not wish to potentially encourage possible neo-Nazis by clicking on their website; otherwise I would indeed visit the site to check it out for myself. That is what I prefer. The link in the OP probably does not carry such an emotional burden for you, so I find it harder to understand why you did not simply click on it. Perhaps actually reading the article would have made it harder for you to be dismissive of it?

More broadly are you still attempting to justify posting an dismissive analysis of an article you never even bothered to open to read? And proud of it? And whether you recognize it or not your prediction was not accurate as the many posts in this thread document. But how would you know how accurate you were? Did you finally relent and actually read the link? If so then continuing this discussion is kind of silly.

indeed I think I was providing insight by emphasizing that it is wrong to judge an article and publicly comment on it despite never having looked at it. Doing so lowers one's general credibility. But finally of course attempting to justify one's own actions based on what sins others commit doesn't really work, does it? If something is wrong it is still wrong no matter how many do it.

Essentially, whether or not you are right is of no relevance if you can't show your working.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 02:08 AM   #139
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Now the question is: where you right because of some astute calculation, or because of the broken clock principle?
I think he was 'right' because the article contained no true Scotsmen.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 02:24 AM   #140
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I think he was 'right' because the article contained no true Scotsmen.

Dave
Is that pun?

You made a pun didn't you?
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 03:07 AM   #141
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Is that pun?

You made a pun didn't you?
Not really, no. As I said, it's not about left or right, but about framing everything within a narrative where one's own tribe is the victim of everything, then redefining one's terms so as to confirm that framing. It's a classic No True Scotsman fallacy.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 04:19 AM   #142
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That Donald Trump is a crypto-fascist who is conspiring to become God-Emperor of America seems to be an article of faith for much of the left these days.
Those are the operative words. Your imagination is a weak substitute for reality.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 05:38 AM   #143
baron
Philosopher

You again are not reading my posts very carefully...

Did you finally relent and actually read the link?
That's somewhat ironic. In my third post on page 1 I broke down the article into its five sub-sections and commented on each. So... who is it who doesn't read the other's posts again?

indeed I think I was providing insight by emphasizing that it is wrong to judge an article and publicly comment on it despite never having looked at it.
Why? When I've been seeing the same publication produce identically biased articles for 50 years I really don't need to check out every one just in case they've decided to do some real journalism. Just like we don't need to look at each Daily Stormer article to realise the same thing, although apparently you have special dispensation in this area that allows you to indulge in the same behaviour as I exhibited but not be criticised for it. The upshot is it's not wrong, it just makes certain people uncomfortable.

I don't troll your posts, I reply to them and refute them, because I don't like letting crap from BS artists go unchallenged.
Then challenge yourself. In practically every politically-oriented thread you jump in to criticise opinions that haven't even been offered, and here you are criticising me for doing the same thing with an article. Yet another example of the hypocrisy that has become a standard on this site.

I wouldn't say it's astute, most people know the Guardian is far left even if they won't admit it, but the broken clock theory does have merit... in that I'm right at least twice a day.
Old 6th February 2019, 05:50 AM   #144
Belz...
Fiend God

I wouldn't say it's astute, most people know the Guardian is far left even if they won't admit it, but the broken clock theory does have merit... in that I'm right at least twice a day.

It must be terrible to have such a low success rate.

Old 6th February 2019, 06:24 AM   #145
Dave Rogers

I find the suggestion hilarious that most people know the Guardian is "far" left.

Dave

Old 6th February 2019, 06:35 AM   #146
Belz...
Fiend God

I find the suggestion hilarious that most people know the Guardian is "far" left.

Dave
Depends what you consider "far". The Guardian is most definitely and solidly on the left.

Old 6th February 2019, 06:56 AM   #147
Dave Rogers

Depends what you consider "far". The Guardian is most definitely and solidly on the left.
Agreed, it's quite definitely left of centre. I think part of the problem is defining anything left of centre as "far" left. The Guardian is typically aligned somewhere between the Liberal Democrats and the right wing of the Labout Party; if anything can be defined as moderate left, that's it. Describing it as "far" left devalues the word "far" to the point of uselessness.

Dave

Old 6th February 2019, 06:57 AM   #148
Belz...
Fiend God

Agreed, it's quite definitely left of centre. I think part of the problem is defining anything left of centre as "far" left. The Guardian is typically aligned somewhere between the Liberal Democrats and the right wing of the Labout Party; if anything can be defined as moderate left, that's it. Describing it as "far" left devalues the word "far" to the point of uselessness.

Dave
Maybe it depends on how far right the observer is.

Old 6th February 2019, 07:21 AM   #149
baron
Philosopher

It must be terrible to have such a low success rate.
It's actually not too bad:

Total Posts: 8,030
Posts Per Day: 1.81
Old 6th February 2019, 07:27 AM   #150
baron
Philosopher

I don't get the joke.

I'm one of the 16% of people who see the Guardian as far left.

Quote:
At the other end of the spectrum the Guardian is seen as Britain’s most left-wing newspaper, closely followed by the Mirror. Whilst Britons were about equally likely to see both publications as slightly left-of-centre or fairly left-wing, slightly more considered the Guardian to be “very left-wing”, at 16% compared to The Mirror’s 11%.
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...uks-newspapers

You are one of the 25% who believe it is 'slightly' to the left of centre.

Yet apparently my view is a minority worthy of hilariy and your view is objective fact.

Wait, that is hilarious!
Old 6th February 2019, 07:35 AM   #151
Belz...
Fiend God

It's actually not too bad:

Total Posts: 8,030
Posts Per Day: 1.81
Nicely played, sir.

However I note that this means you're 100% wrong outside this forum. I do admire your dedication, however, posting your correct opinions exclusively on this forum!

Old 6th February 2019, 07:41 AM   #152
baron
Philosopher

Nicely played, sir.

However I note that this means you're 100% wrong outside this forum. I do admire your dedication, however, posting your correct opinions exclusively on this forum!
You're welcome, I aim to please (and educate!)
Old 6th February 2019, 08:56 AM   #153
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

So you don't think there are swarms of right wingers harassing people via Twitter?

Not to mention all the Russian bots spreading propaganda in 2016 and beyond. And how about Brexit, is it right wingers or left wingers on social media?

Also, I think you over-estimate the number of people it takes to harass people on social media. I'd wager the numbers are quite small.
I don't know why you think I think right-wingers don't use social media. I had a Twitter account until recently and it is a multi-layered dumpster fire. I deleted the app and find I have a much more positive view of humanity now.
Old 6th February 2019, 12:17 PM   #154
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

That's somewhat ironic. In my third post on page 1 I broke down the article into its five sub-sections and commented on each. So... who is it who doesn't read the other's posts again?.
Too bad you had, by then, already passed judgment without reading the article, in your very first post.

Oh well.

In practically every politically-oriented thread you jump in to criticise opinions that haven't even been offered
Except that they have been...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7&postcount=98

Oops, do try to keep up.

And as you will see, if you bother to read that post and the thread it is in (I expect you won't), the "opinion" that AOC is crazy loon with whacky ideas is one that has been repeatedly "offered" by some of right wing posters.

Cortez is smart, driven and passionate about what she does. She's a woman and an attractive one to boot. There's five good reasons why she will be a major pain in the arse for some of the old white farts in the GOP. They must be crapping in their pants at the thought they might be looking at the face of the future in US politics.

Now then, when an article is posted for comment I READ IT BEFORE COMMENTING, or I don't comment on it at all. You could learn from that. You could acknowledge that you made an error commenting on something you didn't read, or you can double down on your arrogance while sitting up there in that high horse.... ball's in your court.

ETA: IMO, this sums up AOC very nicely

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th February 2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 6th February 2019, 12:21 PM   #155
Belz...
Fiend God

I don't know why you think I think right-wingers don't use social media. I had a Twitter account until recently and it is a multi-layered dumpster fire. I deleted the app and find I have a much more positive view of humanity now.
I seriously don't know what you guys use Twitter for. All I get there are news from various sources.

Old 6th February 2019, 12:43 PM   #156
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It was this comment after discussing right and left wing stereotypes:
Originally Posted by Eddie
...it doesn't matter if 4Chan declared your pizza-restaurant the suspected scene of democrat child-abuse or that a million lefties on Twitter think that you smiled in a very racist way and need to be doxed and hunted down.
It sounded like you were dividing up the battle techniques.

I'm happy to take your word that isn't what you meant.

I should also add, I don't think the number of left wing SJW is a very large percentage on the left. This argument comes up all the time with the false equivalence: The right wingers are radical from the top down, the left is only radical on the fringe.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th February 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 02:05 PM   #157
cmikes
Critical Thinker

ETA: IMO, this sums up AOC very nicely

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Politico

Venezuela style Socialists are about as popular for the Democratic establishment as Libertarians are for the Republican establishment.
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 02:19 PM   #158
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by cmikes View Post
I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Politico

Venezuela style Socialists are about as popular for the Democratic establishment as Libertarians are for the Republican establishment.
While I don't support her political leanings, I support her independence. I like to see friction in a solid block of political leanings. Nance Pelosi shouldn't sleep well ate night.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th February 2019, 02:39 PM   #159
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
While I don't support her political leanings, I support her independence. I like to see friction in a solid block of political leanings. Nance Pelosi shouldn't sleep well ate night.
Absolutely. It makes for robust debate and a real sharing of ideas.

The philosophy that all the politicians in a party have to be little tin soldiers all marching to the beat of Dear Leader's drum is par for the course in the authoritarian-right corner of the political spectrum.
Old 6th February 2019, 02:51 PM   #160
cmikes
Critical Thinker

Absolutely. It makes for robust debate and a real sharing of ideas.

The philosophy that all the politicians in a party have to be little tin soldiers all marching to the beat of Dear Leader's drum is par for the course in the authoritarian-right corner of the political spectrum.

And the authoritarian-left corner of the political spectrum. It's no secret that both parties are too entrenched in their own power structures to effectively change. The best that Cortez can hope for, if her fellow Democrats aren't successful in making her a one term wonder, is being Rand Pauled. Yeah, you get your TV time and the occasional speech on C-SPAN, but you have no actual influence on policy, being more of a sop to the Left or Right.

"See, we take you seriously, we have Rand Paul/AOC out there speaking!"
cmikes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories