ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th May 2018, 01:37 AM   #1
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Open carrying whilst graduating at Kent State - too soon?!

BBC News: Kaitlin Bennett - Why she wore a rifle for graduation photos

"A woman who slung an assault-style rifle across her shoulder for her graduation photos in the US has sparked a fierce debate over personal freedom, student protests and white privilege.

Kaitlin Bennett graduated from Kent State University in Ohio with a degree in biology.

The following day, the 22-year-old returned to the campus with an AR-10 semi-automatic rifle strapped to her back and posed for photographs while holding a graduation cap emblazoned with the words "come and take it".

Bennett, who later posted the photographs on Twitter, says she was protesting against a university policy that prohibited students, professors and employees from carrying "lethal weapons" on campus - but allows "guests" to possess them on school grounds (but not in buildings).

She noted that Kent State was the location where "four unarmed students were shot and killed by the government" - a reference to the 1970 incident where soldiers clashed with Vietnam War protesters, firing shots that hit 13 protesters and bystanders."

So what's the sub-text of the last paragraph? The students should have got into a firefight with the National Guard?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 01:52 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Subtext is:

"Young person does and says something stupid that in 10 years time will make them cringe"
Old 18th May 2018, 02:01 AM   #3
Venom
Graduate Poster

How brave of her. "Come and take it", as if the government is going around confiscating everyone's guns.

Compared to the journalists and activists in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Burma, etc who are fighting for basic human rights, this posturing is just plain cute.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 02:26 AM   #4
Diablo
Critical Thinker

I thought the 'come and take it' meant she was looking for a boyfriend....

I agree with Darat, just juvenile nonsense.
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 03:23 AM   #5
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I don't see the problem.

This time if the Guard shows up, they can shoot back.
Old 18th May 2018, 03:39 AM   #6
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Subtext is:

"Young person does and says something stupid that in 10 years time will make them cringe"
We're not talking about you
Old 18th May 2018, 05:28 AM   #7
David RP
Scholar

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I don't see the problem.

If she had been around in 1970 who would she have aimed at ?

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/...tate_Shootings
David RP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 05:47 AM   #8
fuelair
Suspended

I don't see the problem.

As I recall, they shot back (at unarmed students) last time.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 05:58 AM   #9
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
As I recall, they shot back (at unarmed students) last time.
Cleon's point is that, if armed, the students could shoot back at the Guard. Your claim that the Guard "shot back" in 1970 is technically false: "shot back" implies someone else shot first (Han?), but no-one else was armed, let alone shot.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 06:18 AM   #10
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

It is a silly rule- guests can carry but students not? What is the logic?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 06:24 AM   #11
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
It is a silly rule- guests can carry but students not? What is the logic?
Midterms are stressful.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 06:55 AM   #12
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Cleon's point dark-ass joke is that, if armed, the students could shoot back at the Guard.
Fixed. It really wasn't meant to be a serious point, just black humor.
Old 18th May 2018, 07:03 AM   #13
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Note this person is also known for being a fan of very racist contributors and comments on social media. Of course.

A racist with an assault weapon. Very fine people.
Old 18th May 2018, 07:22 AM   #14
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Subtext is:

I don't think that you understand this girl and her tribe. She will be permanently happy with what she did.
Old 18th May 2018, 09:04 AM   #15
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

And whilst she is seeking publicity for her warped vision of the world, on other educational premises (in Sante Fe), at least 8 are dead in the latest school shooting. Her timing is somewhere between unlucky and crass.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 11:31 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Subtext is:

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't think that you understand this girl and her tribe. She will be permanently happy with what she did.
Albeit unemployed.
Old 19th May 2018, 12:41 AM   #17
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Albeit unemployed.
How so? She's good fit-in for the next NRA president. Or to succeed Sarah Huckabee as WH spokesperson. I can think of a couple of other places that would hire a fine person like her.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 12:42 AM   #18
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
And whilst she is seeking publicity for her warped vision of the world, on other educational premises (in Sante Fe), at least 8 are dead in the latest school shooting. Her timing is somewhere between unlucky and crass.
Updated to 10 as I read it. Which timing do you suggest is not a few days before the next school shooting?

Old 19th May 2018, 12:53 AM   #19
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
How so? She's good fit-in for the next NRA president. Or to succeed Sarah Huckabee as WH spokesperson. I can think of a couple of other places that would hire a fine person like her.
<shudder>With his finger on the pulse of the media, I'm sure Trump will be eager to offer her a position.</shudder>
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 04:30 AM   #20
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
How brave of her. "Come and take it", as if the government is going around confiscating everyone's guns.

Compared to the journalists and activists in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Burma, etc who are fighting for basic human rights, this posturing is just plain cute.
This.
Old 19th May 2018, 04:54 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
<shudder>With his finger on the pulse of the media, I'm sure Trump will be eager to offer her a position.</shudder>
I take it she's good looking?
Old 19th May 2018, 05:46 AM   #22
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I take it she's good looking?
I consider her to be very good looking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...on-photos.html
Old 19th May 2018, 05:54 AM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Albeit unemployed.
I doubt that she will face employment rejection in the future. She is going for a biology degree but we don't know what career she is seeking. Maybe she doesn't exactly know yet. Her enthusiasm for gun freedom shouldn't make any difference and many if not most will not even know about her stunt.

I don't think this even approaches being a sudden career ender.
Old 19th May 2018, 02:46 PM   #24
Mumbles
Philosopher

I don't see the problem.

Actually, she'd be shooting the students right alongside the national guard.

(Yes, I know you were joking. I...am too?)
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th May 2018, 02:58 PM   #25
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt that she will face employment rejection in the future. She is going for a biology degree but we don't know what career she is seeking. Maybe she doesn't exactly know yet. Her enthusiasm for gun freedom shouldn't make any difference and many if not most will not even know about her stunt.

I don't think this even approaches being a sudden career ender.
Checking social media is pretty routine for employers these days.
Old 21st May 2018, 03:37 AM   #26
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Hey it was a protest and if there is one thing Kent State knows it is how to deal with protesters when people feel threatened by them.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events