ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th May 2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Longevity science

Just some interesting observations gleaned from this Wikipedia list:

List of the verified oldest people

This is just the top 100 of all time (verifiable top 100 that is).

1) The youngest person on the list is currently aged 114, 95 days (still alive) so at least 100 people have lived to the age of 114.
2) Only 45 have lived to the age of 115. Hence more than half of those who live to the age of 114 do not live to the age of 115.
3) Likewise, only 18 have lived to the age of 116. Hence more than half of those who live to the age of 115 do not live to the age of 116.
4) Only 2 have lived to the age of 118; only 1 to age 120.
5) The oldest person ever, Jeanne Calment was an extreme outlier, having lived more than 3 years longer than anyone else (122).
6) Only 6 of the top 100 were men. The top 15 were all women.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:00 PM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

aging is sexist.
Old 17th May 2018, 01:22 AM   #3
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I'm confused. You go from someone living to 118 to someone living to 120, missing out 119; you also say that the longest-lived person at 122 lived more than 3 years longer than the next-longest-lived person, implying that the person who lived to 120 is the same person as lived to 122.

Why not say that just one person had lived to 119, or 122? Why 120?
Old 17th May 2018, 01:40 AM   #4
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'm confused. You go from someone living to 118 to someone living to 120, missing out 119; you also say that the longest-lived person at 122 lived more than 3 years longer than the next-longest-lived person, implying that the person who lived to 120 is the same person as lived to 122.

Without checking, it could be because records were withdrawn and "the oldest" claims changed when ages could not be reliably verified and perhaps the database used in the OP has not been purged.

.... or something else......
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 01:50 AM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed. The person who lived to 120 is the same person who lived to 122. I didn't say they died at 120. They lived to 120 and kept on living for another 2 years after that.

(If you look at the list I think it should become clear.)
Old 17th May 2018, 01:56 AM   #6
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Indeed. The person who lived to 120 is the same person who lived to 122. I didn't say they died at 120. They lived to 120 and kept on living for another 2 years after that.

(If you look at the list I think it should become clear.)
My question is why did you jump from 118 to 120? Presumably the person who lived to 120 also lived to 119, and the person who died at 118 did not live to 119. So why 120?
Old 17th May 2018, 02:43 AM   #7
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

My question is why did you jump from 118 to 120? Presumably the person who lived to 120 also lived to 119, and the person who died at 118 did not live to 119. So why 120?
No person died at 118. One person died at 122, one person died at 119, and everyone else died before reaching their 118th birthday.

Have you actually clicked the link?
Old 17th May 2018, 04:51 AM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

No person died at 118. One person died at 122, one person died at 119, and everyone else died before reaching their 118th birthday.

Have you actually clicked the link?
The confusion is that the list is a list of what age people died at. They are only counted once. This is obvious to anyone who does look at the link, which is always a good idea before commenting.
Old 17th May 2018, 06:13 AM   #9
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

So, people who make it to 100 have a half-life of one year.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 06:32 AM   #10
Spock Jenkins
Muse

That's going to be my M-I-L. There have been centurions in the family.

I've posted elsewhere that I have heart issues. Congenital. In-laws have always had issues with this. I'm defective and will die early leaving their daughter alone to raise kids, etc.

I'll die when I'm 85, M-I-L be over 107 and tell my wife, "I TOLD YOU SO!!!!"

As far as the science goes. Seems as though at some point or other, it all comes down to when we are willing to "pull the plug", for lack of a better phrase. I wonder just how long science could keep somebody alive on life support, before that even fails to work? I know it's bad optics to experiment on people and such, but I am curious.

Last edited by Spock Jenkins; 17th May 2018 at 06:35 AM.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 07:03 AM   #11
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Then why did you say that 2 people had lived to 118, rather than to 119?
Old 17th May 2018, 07:37 AM   #12
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I recently watched a lecture given by Dr. Peter Atia and he was talking about the ways in which centenarians die. The interesting thing is that they die of the same things as the general population (mostly), just shifted to a higher age. They don't not get cancer or heart disease, they just get it older.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 01:20 PM   #13
Venom
Graduate Poster

Feel sorry for all of the unconfirmed people who didn't have a valid birth certificate.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 02:27 PM   #14
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Why?
Old 17th May 2018, 03:46 PM   #15
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Why?
Because their circumstances prevented possible broken records and recognition.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th May 2018, 08:28 PM   #16
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Then why did you say that 2 people had lived to 118, rather than to 119?

My statement was perfectly accurate. I'm sorry if it confused you because you couldn't be bothered to click a link and see for yourself.

Only two people have ever (verifiably, so far) lived long enough to celebrate their 118th birthday. That's what I meant.
Old 17th May 2018, 08:35 PM   #17
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Feel sorry for all of the unconfirmed people who didn't have a valid birth certificate.
There's been a lot of false claims in the past, so they have to be strict about checking to make sure. You don't just take someone at their word or based on evidence of dubious provenance (like this). You need evidence that you can be reasonably sure is genuine.

I suppose it's possible that others have lived longer but didn't have any way to prove it. But, there's too many false claims to relax the standard of proof.
Old 17th May 2018, 08:51 PM   #18
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
That may be close to being right. It seems to increase with each year (although at the extreme high end the sample size becomes too small to rely on).
Old 18th May 2018, 08:18 AM   #19
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Yup- the smell is from radioactive decay.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th May 2018, 01:36 PM   #20
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

I still don't understand why you feel sorry for them..
What's to feel sorry for?
Old 18th May 2018, 09:01 PM   #21
Venom
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
I still don't understand why you feel sorry for them..
What's to feel sorry for?
Well they are potentially once in a lifetime (or once ever) human beings and they will go to their grave never being recognized for it. And we will not have the satisfaction of knowing how exceptional they really are.
Old 20th May 2018, 02:01 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I recently watched a lecture given by Dr. Peter Atia and he was talking about the ways in which centenarians die. The interesting thing is that they die of the same things as the general population (mostly), just shifted to a higher age. They don't not get cancer or heart disease, they just get it older.
The joke is that we all die from heart failure eventually!

I always find it amusing when people hear of a very old person dying, "Oh did you hear 98 year old Doris has died?"

"What did she die from?"

Being 98!
Old 21st May 2018, 05:35 AM   #23
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

There was a program segment on NPR yesterday (To The Best Of Our Knowlege) where the fellow was talking about longevity and the so-called “blue zones”...Areas around the world where folks lived well past 100 on a regular basis, and retained their health and mobility very well.
Most of these various peoples lived in rather isolated, rural areas, they did a lot of regular but not particularly stressful physical activity (lots of walking) lived primarily on plant-based diets grown locally, and had “strong social networks”. (and a lack of modern digital networking)
Which of course led folks to wonder if an additional 10-ish years of life on average was worth it....
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 06:46 AM   #24
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

I occasionally see science articles on one experiment/discovery or another that seems like it should be something we can develop into a way to fend off aging significantly longer. Then these things aren't heard from again after that. It always seems like the real results will probably finally materialize just after I'm too old to benefit.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2018, 07:16 AM   #25
Spock Jenkins
Muse

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
There was a program segment on NPR yesterday (To The Best Of Our Knowlege) where the fellow was talking about longevity and the so-called “blue zones”...Areas around the world where folks lived well past 100 on a regular basis, and retained their health and mobility very well.
Most of these various peoples lived in rather isolated, rural areas, they did a lot of regular but not particularly stressful physical activity (lots of walking) lived primarily on plant-based diets grown locally, and had “strong social networks”. (and a lack of modern digital networking)
Which of course led folks to wonder if an additional 10-ish years of life on average was worth it....
...and had very poor record keeping in the area as well is my understanding. I'm not saying they're lying. They may very well believe they are the ages they claim.
Spock Jenkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2018, 04:28 PM   #26
xjx388
Philosopher

We were just discussing this . . . my wife has a patient who is currently 104, still healthy, mobile and all there mentally. I thought that was pretty amazing and then looked up that same list from the OP. I think this person has a chance to make it on the list!

She has outlived all her "original family" -parents (obviously) but husbands and her children too. I can't imagine that for myself . . .
Old 27th May 2018, 04:58 PM   #27
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

One method of living to a ripe old age.
1. Wait until your mother dies after your father has died leaving you, a female, as the sole child
2. Have the funeral in the normal way. This is just to get rid of the body.
3. Move somewhere where no one knows you or your mother
4. Assume your mother's identity

If your mother dies before claiming old age pension you can claim it for yourself when she would have reached that age. Or if she has already claimed it then you can take it over. If you wait 10-20 years it would be difficult for someone else to prove who you are.

A variation is to make a will leaving everything to your mother. Then when she dies young, say it is you who died. Then you take over her identity.

The main problem with all of this is that a number of people would know the difference between you and your mother. These people must be kept from exposing this substitution.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology