IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 1st April 2021, 03:23 AM   #681
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 9,125
Even if Trump doesn't end up in an eight-by-eight with Big Bubba, it is rapidly approaching the situation that there are more lawsuits than years left of his life that he has to contest. So I am pleased that he will see out his days in constant stress from that prospect, and for having to fork out his dwindling ill-gotten gains paying fat-arsed lawyers to try to keep him on the outside. And he will have to keep paying them more and more, because if they slip up and he does go down for a stretch, the odds increase that he will never live long enough to see the crappy gold toilets of Mar-a-Lago ever again. I would love to see his end as a note in the obituaries:

TRUMP, D.J. Died April 1st of cardiac arrest while serving a custodial sentence.

And that's it.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 03:31 AM   #682
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 31,587
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Even if Trump doesn't end up in an eight-by-eight with Big Bubba, it is rapidly approaching the situation that there are more lawsuits than years left of his life that he has to contest. So I am pleased that he will see out his days in constant stress from that prospect, and for having to fork out his dwindling ill-gotten gains paying fat-arsed lawyers to try to keep him on the outside. And he will have to keep paying them more and more, because if they slip up and he does go down for a stretch, the odds increase that he will never live long enough to see the crappy gold toilets of Mar-a-Lago ever again. I would love to see his end as a note in the obituaries:

TRUMP, D.J. Died April 1st of cardiac arrest while serving a custodial sentence.

And that's it.
I don't think that Donald Trump feels stress about any impending lawsuits. In his mind any suit brought against him is vexatious and will lose so long as his lawyers handle it competently.

I also think that he's not going to be paying lawyers, that's not what he does.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 03:46 AM   #683
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 9,125
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I don't think that Donald Trump feels stress about any impending lawsuits. In his mind any suit brought against him is vexatious and will lose so long as his lawyers handle it competently.
True, but he does stress about these, gets frustrated. Because it means he has to go to his lawyers again to bail him out again.

Quote:
I also think that he's not going to be paying lawyers, that's not what he does.
LOL, true! Because despite his "billionaire" status, he is actually a tight-arse. He is not really a cash billionaire. His credit rating with certain sources is set at billionaire level. Until they call in his markers, of course.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 03:56 AM   #684
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,161
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
True, but he does stress about these, gets frustrated. Because it means he has to go to his lawyers again to bail him out again.

LOL, true! Because despite his "billionaire" status, he is actually a tight-arse. He is not really a cash billionaire. His credit rating with certain sources is set at billionaire level. Until they call in his markers, of course.

And some of those markers are being called in... soon!
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 02:21 PM   #685
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,202
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
To nitpick... It would be cheaper to sentence EVERY criminal to hone confinement. It is a bad idea to do so however, since it would not provide the needed control in many cases.
That is a ridiculous claim. The cost of securing and monitoring tens of thousands of hard core criminals including murderers, etc in their homes 24/7 would be astronomical.

Quote:
As for it being easier to confine Trump at home, I disagree. Being at home would require continued secret service protection, monitoring, etc. Put him in prison, and things actually get easier. the secret service detail will find "protecting" him to be easier in a more controled environment.
He's already getting SS protection as a former POTUS. The entirety of Mar a Lago is not his home. He would be confined to a certain area and most likely, not even Mar a Lago itself, but to another of his properties that is not open to others.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 02:30 PM   #686
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,202
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You must think bigger my dear. Trump's crimes are unique and his having been POTUS including having a devoted cult following should not mean he escapes justice.

In fact, IMO, it is critical to restoring our democracy that he is tried for these crimes and if convicted, as I think it's clear he should be, then he should actually go to jail.

Home confinement won't do. Can you imagine him being confined to Mar-a-lago where he could continue to crash weddings and give speeches?

No, just no. That will not do.
I totally agree he should be tried for his crimes. You've gotten no argument from me there. I'd LOVE to see him in an orange jumpsuit and his ass sitting in a prison cell. I just don't think the latter part will happen. Even if convicted, I think he'll be sentenced to home confinement. As I said to Segnosaur, I don't think it will be Mar a Lago, but to a different property that the public does not have access to. He owns several homes. As newyorkguy points out, Sarkozy may have been convicted and sentenced to prison, but that is France and this is the US.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 03:13 PM   #687
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 11,568
As newyorkguy pointed out? I didn't mean former French President Nicolas Sarkozy was sentenced to prison but that's France, this is the United States. I clearly stated what I think:
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Can trump, if convicted, be sentenced to prison? I would say yes, absolutely...
As Jackie Gleason used to bellow, HOW SWEET IT IS!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg How sweet it is.jpg (86.6 KB, 19 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 06:40 PM   #688
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,202
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
As newyorkguy pointed out? I didn't mean former French President Nicolas Sarkozy was sentenced to prison but that's France, this is the United States. I clearly stated what I think:


As Jackie Gleason used to bellow, HOW SWEET IT IS!!!
I meant that you pointed out that Sarkozy was sentenced to prison. "I" meant that's France but this is the US. Poor wording on my part. Believe me, I'd would never be happier to be proven wrong!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 07:29 PM   #689
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 17,320
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Quote:
To nitpick... It would be cheaper to sentence EVERY criminal to hone confinement. It is a bad idea to do so however, since it would not provide the needed control in many cases.
That is a ridiculous claim. The cost of securing and monitoring tens of thousands of hard core criminals including murderers, etc in their homes 24/7 would be astronomical.
Go back and read what I wrote. Exactly. Word for word. I specifically mentioned that the problem was control.

You can very cheaply confine even the worst mass murder at home with a (relatively cheap) ankle monitor. We don't do so partly because many of those criminals would be too risky.

Its the same with Trump... if you let him out (but with home monitoring) you are accepting a certain amount of risk. (Not necessarily that he will go around and start killing people. Well, unless they are between him and a cheeseburger. But the risk is that he will violate the terms of his confinement, such as having unauthorized visitors, interacting with the press, etc.)
Quote:
Quote:
As for it being easier to confine Trump at home, I disagree. Being at home would require continued secret service protection, monitoring, etc. Put him in prison, and things actually get easier. the secret service detail will find "protecting" him to be easier in a more controled environment.
He's already getting SS protection as a former POTUS.
Yes he is. Not sure why you brought that up.
Quote:
The entirety of Mar a Lago is not his home. He would be confined to a certain area and most likely, not even Mar a Lago itself, but to another of his properties that is not open to others.
First of all, while its possible he may be confined to some other property (apart from Mar a lago), there is no guarantee of that.

But even if he was confined to some house somewhere (i.e. not Mar a lago) where you didn't have to worry about resort guests, it is still a hassle for the secret service.... The house would be in a city/civilian area, so the secret service would have to have people to watch (and potentially control) traffic on nearby streets. Multiple guards would have to be stationed at various locations on the property. Visitors would have to be vetted. So that is an entire security team, just to deal with Trump. (So, pretty much the same sort of security detail he has now).

Put Trump in prison, and security becomes easier. No need to worry about controlling traffic on nearby streets. You don't need guards to specifically protect Trump. All of that is part of the regular process to protect prisoners.

The only way having Trump confined to home would be cheaper/easier than jailing him is if they strip him of his secret service detail.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2021, 08:22 PM   #690
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 11,568
I don't think being confined in what would almost certainly be a 'white collar' prison would be that tough on trump, anyway. Given that he lives in his own reality, he'd probably work it around in his mind to be a kind of honor, or at least a recognition of how special he is. No other president has ever been incarcerated. Not one! But, trump might very well decide, being sent to prison is recognition of how powerful, how dangerous he is to all the weak, cowardly Radical Dems, RINOs and Deep Staters out there.

trump is trump's most dedicated fan. Nobody loves trump as much as trump. In other words, alluding to an ongoing thread, he is a mental case.

Below a photo-shopped image trump tweeted in November 2019.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg He is his biggest fan.jpg (74.4 KB, 10 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:23 AM   #691
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility (USA, sort of)
Posts: 26,247
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I don't think being confined in what would almost certainly be a 'white collar' prison would be that tough on trump, anyway. Given that he lives in his own reality, he'd probably work it around in his mind to be a kind of honor, or at least a recognition of how special he is. No other president has ever been incarcerated. Not one! But, trump might very well decide, being sent to prison is recognition of how powerful, how dangerous he is to all the weak, cowardly Radical Dems, RINOs and Deep Staters out there.

trump is trump's most dedicated fan. Nobody loves trump as much as trump. In other words, alluding to an ongoing thread, he is a mental case.

<snip>

I'm fine with that. In fact I think its great. It'll ensure that the treatment he gets from his fellow convicts will be less than enthusiastic. He doesn't have the sort of network it takes to be somebody special behind bars. He won't be the only one in lock-up with delusions, but he might be one of the more entertaining ones.

He still belongs behind bars. People need to see that there are serious, real consequences for his sort of crimes.
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:25 PM   #692
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,202
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Go back and read what I wrote. Exactly. Word for word. I specifically mentioned that the problem was control.

You can very cheaply confine even the worst mass murder at home with a (relatively cheap) ankle monitor. We don't do so partly because many of those criminals would be too risky.

Its the same with Trump... if you let him out (but with home monitoring) you are accepting a certain amount of risk. (Not necessarily that he will go around and start killing people. Well, unless they are between him and a cheeseburger. But the risk is that he will violate the terms of his confinement, such as having unauthorized visitors, interacting with the press, etc.)
I read it just fine the first time. Word for word. Criminals who have committed crimes equivalent to Trump's have been put on home confinement including Michael Cohen, Roger Stone, and many others, especially since Covid 19. Just like with any criminal, if Trump were to violate the terms of his home confinement, he would then be transferred to a prison. Bringing up violent criminals like mass murderers, who would never be sentenced to home confinement, is a red herring.

Quote:
First of all, while its possible he may be confined to some other property (apart from Mar a lago), there is no guarantee of that.
The government can guarantee he would be confined in whichever property they so choose. The Donald does not get to choose. I'd bet you whatever you'd like that it would not be Mar a Lago.

Quote:
But even if he was confined to some house somewhere (i.e. not Mar a lago) where you didn't have to worry about resort guests, it is still a hassle for the secret service.... The house would be in a city/civilian area, so the secret service would have to have people to watch (and potentially control) traffic on nearby streets. Multiple guards would have to be stationed at various locations on the property. Visitors would have to be vetted. So that is an entire security team, just to deal with Trump. So, pretty much the same sort of security detail he has now).


Put Trump in prison, and security becomes easier. No need to worry about controlling traffic on nearby streets. You don't need guards to specifically protect Trump. All of that is part of the regular process to protect prisoners.

The only way having Trump confined to home would be cheaper/easier than jailing him is if they strip him of his secret service detail.
You're making all kinds of assumptions. I suspect he'd be sent to his 213 acre Seven Springs estate in the country (NY) and possibly housed in the Nonsuch Tudor guest house as it's smaller and more easily guarded; it only has seven bedrooms. Slap an ankle monitor on him, give him his already usual SS detail to watch him with added monitoring and let him know that if he breaks the rules, it's off to prison with his fat, orange ass.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:52 AM   #693
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 11,568
If trump does get convicted and is sentenced to prison, it will be to a so-called 'white collar' prison, a low-security prison. One without bars or even, for the most part, locks. But judging by comments made by some high profile people who have served prison sentences in one of the low security prisons, it is far from "a cakewalk," though. Bernard Kerik, a former New York City Police Commissioner (later pardoned by trump), served three years in a federal 'white collar' prison in Cumberland Maryland. He says the experience was horrendous.

A former FBI agent, currently serving a fifteen year sentence for official corruption, says trump -- given his high profile -- would probably have to be placed in solitary, isolated from other inmates, even in a 'white collar' prison. One reason is, as Bernard Kerik explained, in today's white collar prisons there are many "inner city inmates," mostly drug dealers serving short sentences with no history of violent behavior. How they would react to being in contact with trump is an unknown, of course, but prison officials would be likely to handle the former president very cautiously, keeping him isolated from other inmates. Being warden of the prison where donald trump was beaten or worse, would be the ultimate career-killer. And they'd know it.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 08:08 AM   #694
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility (USA, sort of)
Posts: 26,247
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
If trump does get convicted and is sentenced to prison, it will be to a so-called 'white collar' prison, a low-security prison. One without bars or even, for the most part, locks. But judging by comments made by some high profile people who have served prison sentences in one of the low security prisons, it is far from "a cakewalk," though. Bernard Kerik, a former New York City Police Commissioner (later pardoned by trump), served three years in a federal 'white collar' prison in Cumberland Maryland. He says the experience was horrendous.

A former FBI agent, currently serving a fifteen year sentence for official corruption, says trump -- given his high profile -- would probably have to be placed in solitary, isolated from other inmates, even in a 'white collar' prison. One reason is, as Bernard Kerik explained, in today's white collar prisons there are many "inner city inmates," mostly drug dealers serving short sentences with no history of violent behavior. How they would react to being in contact with trump is an unknown, of course, but prison officials would be likely to handle the former president very cautiously, keeping him isolated from other inmates. Being warden of the prison where donald trump was beaten or worse, would be the ultimate career-killer. And they'd know it.

Trump would do fine in isolation. Give him a DVD player with a playlist of The Apprentice episodes and videos of his stump speeches and he'd be happy as a clam. Spending time with the best friend he's ever had.
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 09:13 AM   #695
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,671
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Trump would do fine in isolation. Give him a DVD player with a playlist of The Apprentice episodes and videos of his stump speeches and he'd be happy as a clam. Spending time with the best friend he's ever had.
Throw in a scaled-down version of the Baby Trump inflatable, and it's a party.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 09:20 AM   #696
SteveAitch
Thinker
 
SteveAitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: St Aines
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Throw in a scaled-down version of the Baby Trump inflatable, and it's a party.
Aaargh, please make sure it's not an anatomically correct one...
__________________
If this board is too exciting for you, try my Flickr pages. Warning: may cause narcolepsy!
SteveAitch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 09:53 AM   #697
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 10,952
Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Aaargh, please make sure it's not an anatomically correct one...
You have an aversion to small hands?
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 09:56 AM   #698
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,303
Now, hold on....I am pretty sure most of you here accept as fact that Trump is dangerously mentally ill. As such, how much culpability do you think he has for any crimes he may have committed? After all, he cant tell the difference between reality and the lies he creates in his head.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 10:15 AM   #699
eerok
Quixoticist
 
eerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: ON Canada
Posts: 3,671
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Now, hold on....I am pretty sure most of you here accept as fact that Trump is dangerously mentally ill. As such, how much culpability do you think he has for any crimes he may have committed? After all, he cant tell the difference between reality and the lies he creates in his head.
His mental problems as reported would suggest that he knows right from wrong but simply doesn't care.
__________________
"Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." - Oscar Wilde
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:10 AM   #700
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,751
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Now, hold on....I am pretty sure most of you here accept as fact that Trump is dangerously mentally ill. As such, how much culpability do you think he has for any crimes he may have committed? After all, he cant tell the difference between reality and the lies he creates in his head.
Do you not understand the difference between being mentally ill and being criminally not culpable because of being mentally ill?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 11:33 AM   #701
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,202
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Do you not understand the difference between being mentally ill and being criminally not culpable because of being mentally ill?
Exactly. Additionally, the crimes Trump more than likely committed are tax/finance related. The fact he has fought so hard to keep his tax records from being released is strong evidence that he knows he broke the law.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 01:32 PM   #702
Norman Alexander
Philosopher
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 9,125
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Exactly. Additionally, the crimes Trump more than likely committed are tax/finance related. The fact he has fought so hard to keep his tax records from being released is strong evidence that he knows he broke the law.
Yes and no.

In Trump's brain, HE invents the rules. There is no such thing as "cheating". So he can never lose. There are no consequences or penalties involved. Any real-life penalties are "someone else's fault" and he can always find someone to throw under the bus. Laws are simply somebody else's restrictions that don't apply to him. Because that's how his life has been arranged. When people tell him the rules DO apply, his cry of "Witch hunt!" is him saying no they really don't.

His fight to hide his tax records are not so much an attempt to hide a wrongdoing as it is "how you play the game". Doesn't EVERYONE hide their taxes? Because he prides himself on doing it better than anyone!
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 01:34 PM   #703
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,243
I don’t think the affluenza defense works well.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 01:40 PM   #704
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,751
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Yes and no.

In Trump's brain, HE invents the rules. There is no such thing as "cheating". So he can never lose. There are no consequences or penalties involved. Any real-life penalties are "someone else's fault" and he can always find someone to throw under the bus. Laws are simply somebody else's restrictions that don't apply to him. Because that's how his life has been arranged. When people tell him the rules DO apply, his cry of "Witch hunt!" is him saying no they really don't.

His fight to hide his tax records are not so much an attempt to hide a wrongdoing as it is "how you play the game". Doesn't EVERYONE hide their taxes? Because he prides himself on doing it better than anyone!
Believing you won't get caught is not much of a defense.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 01:40 PM   #705
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 17,161
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Do you not understand the difference between being mentally ill and being criminally not culpable because of being mentally ill?
Indeed. A "not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect" defence requires that the defendant did not know, or could not have known, that they were doing something wrong or criminal, and this lack of understanding must be due to their mental disease or defect.

People with NPD know exactly what they are doing, and they know that it is wrong, but they do it anyway. For this reason, NPD cannot be used as a mental illness defence against criminal acts.
__________________
I want to thank the 126 Republican Congress members for providing a convenient and well organized list for the mid-terms.
- Fred Wellman (Senior VA Advisor to The Lincoln Project)
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 3rd April 2021 at 01:42 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2021, 02:06 PM   #706
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,202
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Yes and no.

In Trump's brain, HE invents the rules. There is no such thing as "cheating". So he can never lose. There are no consequences or penalties involved. Any real-life penalties are "someone else's fault" and he can always find someone to throw under the bus. Laws are simply somebody else's restrictions that don't apply to him. Because that's how his life has been arranged. When people tell him the rules DO apply, his cry of "Witch hunt!" is him saying no they really don't.

His fight to hide his tax records are not so much an attempt to hide a wrongdoing as it is "how you play the game". Doesn't EVERYONE hide their taxes? Because he prides himself on doing it better than anyone!
I disagree. He knows he's cheating and he knows there are consequences if he gets caught. But...and here's the kicker...he doesn't believe he'll ever get caught when he does the cheating because 1) he's so much smarter than everyone else (NPD) and 2) up to now, it's always worked out for him. He never has had to face the consequences because either Daddy bailed him out or his money has bought his way out. Only now is he finally...maybe...at long last...going to face the consequences of his illegal actions.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 07:07 AM   #707
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 17,320
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Quote:
Go back and read what I wrote. Exactly. Word for word. I specifically mentioned that the problem was control.

You can very cheaply confine even the worst mass murder at home with a (relatively cheap) ankle monitor. We don't do so partly because many of those criminals would be too risky.

Its the same with Trump... if you let him out (but with home monitoring) you are accepting a certain amount of risk. (Not necessarily that he will go around and start killing people. Well, unless they are between him and a cheeseburger. But the risk is that he will violate the terms of his confinement, such as having unauthorized visitors, interacting with the press, etc.)
I read it just fine the first time. Word for word.
Then it is a case of understanding.

Again... In theory ANY criminal (from a serial jaywalker to a mass murderer) can be kept on home confinement, at a cheaper cost than prison. It is just a case of "how much risk are we willing to accept for that cheaper method of confinement".
Quote:
Criminals who have committed crimes equivalent to Trump's have been put on home confinement...
And criminals who have committed crimes equivalent to Trump have actually spent time in jail/prison.
Quote:
including Michael Cohen
Ummm... Cohen actually spent time in prison. (So did Manafort.)
Quote:
Roger Stone
Bad example. Stone was granted a pardon prior to sentencing. (If he had actually been sentenced, he would have likely spent time behind bars.)
Quote:
and many others, especially since Covid 19.
Yes, a lot more people have been released and sentenced to home confinement since covid became an issue. However, once vaccinations are more widespread and herd immunity kicks in, I suspect you will see less covid related releases.
Quote:
Just like with any criminal, if Trump were to violate the terms of his home confinement, he would then be transferred to a prison. Bringing up violent criminals like mass murderers, who would never be sentenced to home confinement, is a red herring.
You were talking about the costs (of prison time vs. home confinement).

The fact that a mass murder would never be granted home confinement doesn't change the fact that it would be cheaper to use home confinement.
Quote:
Quote:
First of all, while its possible he may be confined to some other property (apart from Mar a lago), there is no guarantee of that.
The government can guarantee he would be confined in whichever property they so choose. The Donald does not get to choose. I'd bet you whatever you'd like that it would not be Mar a Lago.
I suspect that any sort of confinement scenario would have to be approved by a judge. And if prosecutors tried to say "you may not stay at Mar a Lago", Trump will immediately launch a lawsuit demanding that he be allowed to stay at his preferred location.
Quote:
But even if he was confined to some house somewhere (i.e. not Mar a lago) where you didn't have to worry about resort guests, it is still a hassle for the secret service.... The house would be in a city/civilian area, so the secret service would have to have people to watch (and potentially control) traffic on nearby streets. Multiple guards would have to be stationed at various locations on the property. Visitors would have to be vetted. So that is an entire security team, just to deal with Trump. So, pretty much the same sort of security detail he has now).

Put Trump in prison, and security becomes easier. No need to worry about controlling traffic on nearby streets. You don't need guards to specifically protect Trump. All of that is part of the regular process to protect prisoners.

The only way having Trump confined to home would be cheaper/easier than jailing him is if they strip him of his secret service detail.
You're making all kinds of assumptions.

I suspect he'd be sent to his 213 acre Seven Springs estate in the country (NY) and possibly housed in the Nonsuch Tudor guest house as it's smaller and more easily guarded; it only has seven bedrooms. Slap an ankle monitor on him, give him his already usual SS detail to watch him with added monitoring and let him know that if he breaks the rules, it's off to prison with his fat, orange ass.[/quote]
Again, you're missing the point....

Even if it is cheaper/easier to guard Trump at Seven Springs (or wherever he might be confined) than it is at Mar a Lago.... it is still more expensive than having him confined in prison.

Trump confined at Seven Springs: Government has to employ multiple secret service agents to protect the grounds, street traffic around Seven Springs has to be controlled, etc. THIS COSTS EXTRA MONEY!

Trump in Prison: Whatever security measures that would be in place to guard the rest of the prisoners would also provide protection for Trump by default. THIS DOES NOT COST EXTRA MONEY!
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 07:14 AM   #708
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 17,320
So a little more pressure on Trump....

From: CNBC
The former daughter-in-law of Trump Organization Chief Financial Officer Allen Weisselberg on Thursday turned over financial records to investigators...Jennifer Weisselberg was married to Weisselberg’s son, Barry Weisselberg, from 2004 to 2018. She has previously said that she is cooperating with prosecutors in Vance’s office and claimed to have several boxes of materials obtained during divorce proceedings to give to investigators.

There are 2 ways this could hurt Trump... There may be information that directly implicates Trump (or the Trump organization) in various crimes within the documents. Or, more likely, it will find evidence of wrongdoing by Trump's CFO, and give prosecutors some leverage in getting him to turn against Trump.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 01:52 PM   #709
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,588
I guess she had the laptop, and it wasn't Hunter's.

https://news.yahoo.com/ex-daughter-l...030054279.html
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 01:57 PM   #710
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 17,320
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I guess she had the laptop, and it wasn't Hunter's.

https://news.yahoo.com/ex-daughter-l...030054279.html
Yeah but did it have a copy of Hillary's emails on it? Get Comey on the phone now!
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 03:54 PM   #711
xjx388
Philosopher
 
xjx388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,303
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Do you not understand the difference between being mentally ill and being criminally not culpable because of being mentally ill?
Sure I do. But I've seen you argue that he's completely delusional, doesn't know his lies from reality and is so profundly and obviously mentally ill that he's dangerous. If you are right, then isn't there at least a possibility that he was too mentally ill to form the mens rea to commit a crime?

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Exactly. Additionally, the crimes Trump more than likely committed are tax/finance related. The fact he has fought so hard to keep his tax records from being released is strong evidence that he knows he broke the law.
OR: He truly thinks he did not break the law because he is mentall ill. And fighting to keep his tax records from being released is not evidence of anything. Kinda like pleading the fifth is not an admission of guilt.
__________________
Hello.
xjx388 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:00 PM   #712
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 87,751
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Sure I do. But I've seen you argue that he's completely delusional, doesn't know his lies from reality and is so profundly and obviously mentally ill that he's dangerous. If you are right, then isn't there at least a possibility that he was too mentally ill to form the mens rea to commit a crime?
All the bolded is true. The way I understand it, the law only cares if you know right from wrong.


Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
OR: He truly thinks he did not break the law because he is mentall ill. And fighting to keep his tax records from being released is not evidence of anything. Kinda like pleading the fifth is not an admission of guilt.
Hiding his taxes is evidence he believes he has something to hide.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:13 PM   #713
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 17,320
Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
OR: He truly thinks he did not break the law because he is mentall ill.
Not about his taxes, but....

Rumors were that when Trump found out that they were setting up an investigation by Mueller to investigate Russian interference, Trump made some sort of comment along the lines of "I'm finished".

That implies that he thought the Mueller investigation would actually uncover illegal activity, suggesting he knew what he was doing was legally and morally wrong.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #714
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 18,202
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Then it is a case of understanding.

Again... In theory ANY criminal (from a serial jaywalker to a mass murderer) can be kept on home confinement, at a cheaper cost than prison. It is just a case of "how much risk are we willing to accept for that cheaper method of confinement".

And criminals who have committed crimes equivalent to Trump have actually spent time in jail/prison.

Ummm... Cohen actually spent time in prison. (So did Manafort.)

Bad example. Stone was granted a pardon prior to sentencing. (If he had actually been sentenced, he would have likely spent time behind bars.)

Yes, a lot more people have been released and sentenced to home confinement since covid became an issue. However, once vaccinations are more widespread and herd immunity kicks in, I suspect you will see less covid related releases.

You were talking about the costs (of prison time vs. home confinement).

The fact that a mass murder would never be granted home confinement doesn't change the fact that it would be cheaper to use home confinement.

I suspect that any sort of confinement scenario would have to be approved by a judge. And if prosecutors tried to say "you may not stay at Mar a Lago", Trump will immediately launch a lawsuit demanding that he be allowed to stay at his preferred location.

Quote:
You're making all kinds of assumptions.

I suspect he'd be sent to his 213 acre Seven Springs estate in the country (NY) and possibly housed in the Nonsuch Tudor guest house as it's smaller and more easily guarded; it only has seven bedrooms. Slap an ankle monitor on him, give him his already usual SS detail to watch him with added monitoring and let him know that if he breaks the rules, it's off to prison with his fat, orange ass.
Again, you're missing the point....

Even if it is cheaper/easier to guard Trump at Seven Springs (or wherever he might be confined) than it is at Mar a Lago.... it is still more expensive than having him confined in prison.

Trump confined at Seven Springs: Government has to employ multiple secret service agents to protect the grounds, street traffic around Seven Springs has to be controlled, etc. THIS COSTS EXTRA MONEY!

Trump in Prison: Whatever security measures that would be in place to guard the rest of the prisoners would also provide protection for Trump by default. THIS DOES NOT COST EXTRA MONEY!
No, it is not a matter of my "not understanding". Nor is it a matter of not being able to understand anything but THINGS TYPED IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS.

1) Did I say Cohen and Manafort had not spent time in prison? They still were put into home confinement.

2) Stone was not pardoned before sentencing.

Quote:
In November 2019, a jury convicted him on all seven felony counts. He was sentenced to 40 months in prison. On July 10, 2020, days before Stone was scheduled to report to prison, Trump commuted his sentence.
He was sentenced to home confinement by the judge for the period before reporting to prison.

3) Judges sentence prisoners not prosecutors. A judge would not have to get permission to sentence Trump to home confinement any more than they need permission for any other sentence they impose. Trump could no more sue to stay at his preferred location any more than he could sue to stay at another prison.

4) You do not know that the standard amount of guards/security used at a prison would remain the same when a former POTUS, especially one that has a cult following like Trump, would remain the same. Specialized and added security, both human and technological, would most likely be added in order to ensure that nuts jobs like those that attacked the Capitol, would not do something equally stupid like try and "spring" their "President" from his "unlawful imprisonment". THAT COSTS EXTRA MONEY! I typed that in all caps just to make sure you understood as apparently it's required.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:49 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.