IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 27th March 2021, 09:38 PM   #3241
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Can I call her a basket case?
A blonde, dumb as a breeze-block, white privileged basket case huh? Well, at least all that would qualify her to stand for Congress in rural Georgia!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 27th March 2021 at 09:40 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2021, 10:29 AM   #3242
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Pigs in bed with the fascists, quelle surprise!

Quote:
Joseph Biggs, one of four Proud Boys organizers charged in one of the Justice Department’s biggest cases stemming from the Capitol siege, said the bureau regularly turned to him for advice on antifa — a loosely affiliated collection of violent leftists that the bureau has described as adherents to an ideology rather than part of an organized group.

“In late July 2020, an FBI Special Agent out of the Daytona Beach area telephoned Biggs and asked Biggs to meet with him and another FBI agent at a local restaurant. Biggs agreed,” according to a late Monday court filing issued by Biggs’ attorney in an effort to keep Biggs out of pretrial detention. “Biggs learned after he traveled to the restaurant that the purpose of the meeting was to determine if Biggs could share information about Antifa networks operating in Florida and elsewhere. They wanted to know what Biggs was ‘seeing on the ground.’”
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...quiries-478456

Gee, you wonder why these guys were so confident that they stormed the Capitol. It's almost as if they have repeatedly received signals from the cops that nobody would stop them in their blatant criminality.
Old 30th March 2021, 04:06 PM   #3243
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
GOd, she thinks she the femme fatale in a classic Film Noir thriller...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2021, 11:45 AM   #3244
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Pigs in bed with the fascists, quelle surprise!

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...quiries-478456

Gee, you wonder why these guys were so confident that they stormed the Capitol. It's almost as if they have repeatedly received signals from the cops that nobody would stop them in their blatant criminality.
I'd wait to see if that's corroborated or not. That sounds stupid.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 05:07 AM   #3245
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
25th Man Affiliated With Proud Boys And His Brother Indicted By DOJ For Capitol Riot
https://www.forbes.com/sites/melissa...h=1b8375672672

Current figure for arrests says 397 charged. 25 were proud boys. A single fascist street gang was responsible for 6% of the criminal behavior during the Jan6 attack.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 6th April 2021 at 05:17 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 05:24 AM   #3246
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

We got a winner!

Quote:
The Justice Department says it is in “advanced plea negotiations” with Capitol riot defendant Jon Schaffer – representing the first potential plea deal in the case.

Schaffer, an Indiana resident and guitarist for the heavy metal band Iced Earth, faces a half dozen charges in connection with the January 6 insurrection, including engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building. In an affidavit filed in the case, the FBI has alleged Schaffer was one of a number of rioters who assaulted Capitol police with bear spray.
if you're gonna inform on your fash friends, you definitely want to be first. Prizes diminish considerably if you're not the first rat across the finish line

Quote:
According to the filing, those negotiations include discussions about the “possibility of entering into a cooperation plea agreement” that would avoid an indictment for Schaffer.
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/n...1-e9060528b7b9
Old 6th April 2021, 07:47 AM   #3247
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

We got a winner!
Quote:
The Justice Department says it is in “advanced plea negotiations” with Capitol riot defendant Jon Schaffer – representing the first potential plea deal in the case.
According to the filing, those negotiations include discussions about the “possibility of entering into a cooperation plea agreement” that would avoid an indictment for Schaffer.
If he is going to be avoiding all prison time, he'd better have some solid gold to serve up on his fellow terrorists (including targeting people who currently haven't been arrested yet).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 08:59 AM   #3248
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
If he is going to be avoiding all prison time, he'd better have some solid gold to serve up on his fellow terrorists (including targeting people who currently haven't been arrested yet).
It's noteworthy that he's one of the Oathkeeper arrestees. If the prosecutors are trying to pursue conspiracy charges, having a member of that conspiracy inform against all the others is probably very useful.

I very much doubt there's much avenue for similar deal making for non-organized members of the crowd that stormed the capitol. There's nothing complicated about their cases that would make informants that useful.

Still waiting to see which Proud Boy manages to secure a similar plea deal.
Old 6th April 2021, 09:43 AM   #3249
Belz...
Fiend God

if you're gonna inform on your fash friends, you definitely want to be first. Prizes diminish considerably if you're not the first rat across the finish line

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 02:24 PM   #3250
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The final shot in Scorsese's "The Departed" comes to mind....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 03:35 AM   #3251
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

We got a winner!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...s-oath-keepers

Quote:
Jon Schaffer, who wore an Oath Keepers hat on Jan. 6, has been doing “debrief” interviews and is a potential cooperator, according to a court filing that was mistakenly posted publicly.

I guess that mistake be interesting - it shows the other rats they'd better start ratting
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 07:01 PM   #3252
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I guess that mistake be interesting - it shows the other rats they'd better start ratting
... and that particular rat better have something like 57 homer security firms around him 24/7.

More seriously, the discussions surely include entry into the Witness Protection Program.

Last edited by SezMe; 7th April 2021 at 07:03 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 02:52 AM   #3253
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.forbes.com/sites/melissa...h=1b8375672672

Current figure for arrests says 397 charged. 25 were proud boys. A single fascist street gang was responsible for 6% of the criminal behavior during the Jan6 attack.
Harmless!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 04:09 AM   #3254
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Maybe that oath keeper remembered a pledge he'd sworn umpteen times and choked on the nefarious total hypocrisy, "I pledge... with liberty and justice for all." Oops! Hope the poor boy didn't toss his cookies. Might stain his bib!
Old 8th April 2021, 09:07 AM   #3255
8enotto
Graduate Poster

Ratting on a group of well armed urban survivalist types with decent resources doesn't feel safe. The video is damning enough and it's doubtful time will pardon those that don't get caught soon.

I wonder how many that participated now are really questioning how much thought they put into the decision.

They can't even really blame chump as a defence. The orangutan proved smarter than them somehow if they do.
8enotto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 02:03 PM   #3256
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

"
Scott MacFarlane
@MacFarlaneNews
·
2h
!! HEADS UP:
Seven-count INDICTMENT filed against Delaware man accused of carrying Confederate flag into Capitol during Insurrection"

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/s...938403843?s=20

Kevin and Hunter Seefried.

What did Delaware, boys, what did Delaware?

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 11:04 AM   #3257
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
Federal prosecutors are seeking to revoke Volusia County Proud Boys leader Joseph Biggs’ home detention and lock him up pending trial on charges related to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol Building, saying Biggs is a leader of the group and as such poses a “grave danger” to the community.

Biggs, 37, who lives in unincorporated Volusia County near Ormond Beach, was a leader among the Proud Boys in the planning for “an organized and violent attack” upon the country’s democracy and its Capitol building on Jan. 6, according to a motion federal prosecutors have filed.

They are asking a judge to revoke Biggs’ pre-trial release and order him held without bond pending trial.
https://www.news-journalonline.com/s...gs/7120378002/
Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM   #3258
eerok
Quixoticist

The idiot round-up continues.

Man Who Swears He's 'Not a Dumbass' Arrested for Attempting to Murder the Internet [gizmodo.com]
Quote:
Seth Aaron Pendley, 28, was taken into custody by the FBI on Thursday, after attempting to procure what he thought were explosives from an undercover agent in Fort Worth, Texas, a federal affidavit shows (the bombs were, in fact, fake). According to authorities, Pendley wanted to use C-4, a powerful plastic explosive, to target an Amazon Web Services (AWS) data center in Ashburn, Virginia.

Pendley’s target, Ashburn, is home to over 100 data centers and is the site where a majority of the so-called “Cloud” exists. The arrestee allegedly stated in online chats that he wanted to “kill off about 70% of the internet” and, thereby, annoy “the oligarchy” and, naturally, the deep state.
Quote:
An apparent Trump supporter who claims he was in Washington D.C. on Jan. 6 during the Capitol insurrection, Pendley recently implied in online chats that the ugly riot that killed five people hadn’t gone quite far enough.
Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM   #3259
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Ah the stupidity runs deep...
He's have needed tonnes of plastique to scratch a data centre.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM   #3260
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
The last data centre I worked in was designed to survive impact from a plane.
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #3261
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
The last data centre I worked in was designed to survive impact from a plane.
Not that uncommon. The idiots don't seem to understand that companies prepare for such attacks, anticipation of crazies is part of risk management/mitigation these days. People think of such installations as 'soft' targets; in practice they're tougher than many military installations.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM   #3262
malbui
Beauf

The last global corporate data centre I did detailed work in was designed to withstand all kinds of incidents, including avalanches.

Everything there was also mirrored to a second site 50km away constructed in a former military underground bunker with no external indication whatsoever that it was there. The frequent tests demonstrated that all processing of current data could be switched over in 15 seconds. It was hardcore.

Oh yeah, it also cost an absolute fortune to set up and run. But less than the projected losses of being offline for more than 36 hours.
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM   #3263
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

More reporting about senior officials begging Pentagon for help.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/clear-cap...143728086.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM   #3264
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Nevertheless, I don't think having so many data centers clustered like that is a good idea. I sure hope they are all backed up six ways from Sunday.

ETA: I wonder what Ashburn, Virginia offered to become the data center center.

Last edited by SezMe; Yesterday at 05:11 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:05 AM   #3265
Wudang
BOFH

They may be restricted as Malbui said by the replication technology. Last time I looked while still at the bank, the IBM GDPS maximum cable length was the limiting factor for “live” backup. The numbers going through some bank systems were ridiculous.
Old Today, 06:13 AM   #3266
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Nevertheless, I don't think having so many data centers clustered like that is a good idea. I sure hope they are all backed up six ways from Sunday.

ETA: I wonder what Ashburn, Virginia offered to become the data center center.
It facilitates shared security, restricted access, mobility controls, cameras, blast barriers at cetera.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events