IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Are you willing to work for free if the goods and services are free?
Yes 23 34.85%
No 29 43.94%
I don't know 14 21.21%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 5th April 2021, 05:06 AM   #2521
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,450
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Jesus told you that:
Jesus did not tell anyone anything at all, since there was no jesus in the first place.

Why you think anyone should believe the claims made by an anonymous author about the comedic stylings of an imaginary figure is something you refuse to explain.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 07:34 AM   #2522
Leftus
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,475
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Jesus told you that:

Matthew 20:25-27

New International Version

25 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—
It's unlikely that even if Jesus said those words, that Matthew heard them since he didn't write it down until years laters AND it's been translated.

Also, why should we believe the one spreading these words and not following them? That, again, is you. You don't believe them, because you don't follow them, but expect others to?
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 07:37 AM   #2523
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,391
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Meaningless gibberish.

Why should I pay attention to Jesus?.
Because Gaetan has fully admitted that he is just trying to witness, not actually make an economic argument but the Mods won't let him do that so he has to pretend he actually cares about the economics but sometimes his real motive slips out.
__________________
Yahtzee: "You're doing that thing again where when asked a question you just discuss the philosophy of the question instead of answering the bloody question."
Gabriel: "Well yeah, you see..."
Yahtzee: "No. When you are asked a Yes or No question the first word out of your mouth needs to be Yes or No. Only after that have you earned the right to elaborate."
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 09:34 AM   #2524
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,974
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Because he has the words of justice, don't you want to survive?
Putting aside the problem of why anyone should accept the authority of those words, what use are they when people can't even agree what they mean?

You have expressed unique interpretations in this thread of what supposed words of Jesus mean, claiming they mean things that absolutely nobody else agrees they do. Even the people who believe the words are magically true don't agree with you.

And if by "survive" you mean life after death then no, I don't believe in such fairy tales.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 5th April 2021 at 09:35 AM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 10:31 AM   #2525
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster
 
The Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 15,252
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Jesus told you that:

Matthew 20:25-27

New International Version

25 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—
The part you apparently intentionally left out...

" 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

This is problematic for you because if everyone is in service to everyone else Then everyone becomes the one(s) being served. Thus it would be so with them, that like the "the Gentiles" or "their high officials" and unlike Jesus, they would all be the ones being served.
__________________
BRAINZZZZZZZZ
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 10:36 AM   #2526
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,084
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Jesus told you that:

Matthew 20:25-27

New International Version

25 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. 26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—
Irrelevant. Jesus condones slavery. Jesus also condones or believes other monstrous things. People are crippled because they are sinners (John5:14) .

Jesus berates the jews for not killing their disobedient children (Mark 7:9-10)

Jesus goes ape**** at the money lenders in the temple and takes a bull whip to them without attempting to get rid of them in other ways (john 2:15).

Most people are evil and will be burned for eternity (Matthew 7:13-14)

There are literally dozens more possible examples of hideous injustice supposedly said or supported by Jesus, so answer my question instead of running away from it like a coward. Why should I take this bloodthirsty psychopath as a moral teacher?
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara

Last edited by MarkCorrigan; 5th April 2021 at 10:37 AM.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2021, 08:08 PM   #2527
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,870
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Irrelevant. Jesus condones slavery. Jesus also condones or believes other monstrous things. People are crippled because they are sinners (John5:14) .
Jesus said they are not necessarily crippled because they are sinner

Quote:
Jesus berates the jews for not killing their disobedient children (Mark 7:9-10)
This is not Jesus who says that but the jewish costom at that time

Quote:
Jesus goes ape**** at the money lenders in the temple and takes a bull whip to them without attempting to get rid of them in other ways (john 2:15).
He got mad because they brought animals for sacrifice for God

Quote:
Most people are evil and will be burned for eternity (Matthew 7:13-14)
Off course if you use money and others evil tools you'll not go to haven.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 06:34 AM   #2528
Leftus
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,475
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Off course if you use money and others evil tools you'll not go to haven.
Why don't YOU want to go to haven?
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 06:43 AM   #2529
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 91,966
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
It is sometimes hard to let go of your customs or habits, but it is sometimes necessary
In this case, money works pretty well.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 06:46 AM   #2530
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 91,966
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Because he has the words of justice
I have some people claiming that it's Buddha or some other prophet. Why should I believe you? And why should truth 2000 years ago still apply to vastly different people and societies today?

Quote:
don't you want to survive?
I'm already surviving. Don't need imaginary friends for that.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 01:29 PM   #2531
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,450
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Jesus said they are not necessarily crippled because they are sinner
Wrong.

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
This is not Jesus who says that but the jewish costom at that time
Wrong.

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
He got mad because they brought animals for sacrifice for God
Wrong.

Perhaps if you actually read the stupid book it might help you understand why you are wrong.

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Off course if you use money and others evil tools you'll not go to haven.
Then YOU are not going to heaven. You use money.

Furthermore, you use the internet. What is the biggest source of internet traffic? Porn. By using the internet, you are supporting porn. I am certain that your imaginary jebus will be delighted that you support porn.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 03:06 PM   #2532
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Betwixt
Posts: 17,614
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Why don't YOU want to go to haven?

New Haven is a lot closer to here, and (as the name implies) is newer, but I still don't want to go there.
__________________
A zømbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2021, 04:50 PM   #2533
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,195
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Why don't YOU want to go to haven?
He was trying to get there, but he got, as he so succinctly puts it, "off course."

I hope no aspirants end up in New Haven. I was born there, and cannot say much good of it, except that in recent years it has probably ceased to be the absolute butthole of creation. It's working its way up toward armpit level.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 07:23 AM   #2534
Leftus
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,475
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
He was trying to get there, but he got, as he so succinctly puts it, "off course."
The point is, if he knows the way, why is he actively avoiding it? I'm actively not killing anyone, except disobedient children, or suffering witches to live, no longer lusting after my neighbors ass, wearing mixed fabrics, or boiling a lamb in it's Mothers milk. It's been hard, but totally worth it. But Gaetan is so certain of this hidden rule that he refuses to follow it.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 10:15 AM   #2535
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,974
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Jesus goes ape**** at the money lenders in the temple and takes a bull whip to them without attempting to get rid of them in other ways (john 2:15).
Money changers. Not lenders. They changed your unclean everyday money for coins of acceptable purity for you to buy an animal to give for sacrifice in the temple, without the risk of your tainted money ruining its purity.
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
He got mad because they brought animals for sacrifice for God
No. You're just writing your own bible now. The money changers did not bring animals. That was not their job. A clue is in their name.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 11:04 AM   #2536
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,084
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Money changers. Not lenders. They changed your unclean everyday money for coins of acceptable purity for you to buy an animal to give for sacrifice in the temple, without the risk of your tainted money ruining its purity.

No. You're just writing your own bible now. The money changers did not bring animals. That was not their job. A clue is in their name.
Correction noted, thank you.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th April 2021, 11:15 AM   #2537
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,084
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Jesus said they are not necessarily crippled because they are sinner
Yes, he did.
Quote:
"Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee."
You were crippled, so stop sinning or you may get crippled even worse next time. That is the exact meaning of that passage Gaetan.
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
This is not Jesus who says that but the jewish costom at that time
It was part of the Old Testament, yes, but what was the passage I quoted again?

Quote:
And [Jesus] said to them, “You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition! 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.
You are rejecting God's commandment to kill those who do not honour your father and mother, and this is bad. You should be killing these children.

Again Gaetan, you cannot get away from the clear meaning of this passage. Jesus commands the Jews to kill their children if they disobey them because God told them to.

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
He got mad because they brought animals for sacrifice for God
Absolutely false. Have you even read the bible?


Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Off course if you use money and others evil tools you'll not go to haven.
Heaven doesn't exist.

Here's some more.

Jesus has no problem with wiping out everyone in a global flood. (Matt 24:37-39)

Jesus talks in parables to confuse people so they go to hell (Mark 4:11-12)

If you believe in Jesus, even if you're a mass murdering psychopath you go to heaven, but if you don't believe but are a paragon of virtue, you go to hell and are burned for eternity John 3:18

So please explain Gaetan why anyone should listen to this Jesus character for their morals? He preaches a gospel which is hideously immoral and the few things he says that are good are not novel to him.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 03:56 AM   #2538
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator
 
Cosmic Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Posts: 3,996
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
He got mad because they brought animals for sacrifice for God
It states in Leviticus (1-27) that animal sacrifice is exactly what God wants.
__________________
Fortuna Faveat Fatuis
Cosmic Yak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2021, 08:13 AM   #2539
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,195
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
It states in Leviticus (1-27) that animal sacrifice is exactly what God wants.
Unsurprisingly, I think Gaetan got it wrong. Jesus, according to the stories, did famously rout the money changers from the temple, not because of the animal sacrifice, but because they were using the temple as a place of commerce, and because they were according to many, cheating the people and taking advantage of the immediacy of their need, either for sacrifical animals or for the service of currency conversion to pay temple taxes. The temples were also, at that time, used by wealthy lenders to loan money to poor people to pay their rents, thus likely adding to the debt of the poor to the rich.

I don't think there's any record of Jesus being against animal sacrifices, which were routine, nor for that matter of the purchase of sacrificial animals in general. It was the use of the temple for commerce, and the fact that the traders were exploiting the poor, that was offensive.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 07:16 AM   #2540
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,870
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Yes, he did.


You were crippled, so stop sinning or you may get crippled even worse next time. That is the exact meaning of that passage Gaetan.
John 9 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

Quote:
It was part of the Old Testament, yes, but what was the passage I quoted again?



You are rejecting God's commandment to kill those who do not honour your father and mother, and this is bad. You should be killing these children.

Again Gaetan, you cannot get away from the clear meaning of this passage. Jesus commands the Jews to kill their children if they disobey them because God told them to.
Marc 8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”

9 And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe[c] your own traditions! 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’[d] and, ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’[e] 11 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God)— 12 then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother. 13 Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”

This is not Jésus who said that but Moses as an exemple to show they are hypocrites
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 07:45 AM   #2541
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,195
Yes, according to the story, it seems Jesus upheld the idea of the Mosaic law against the current custom, which effectively overrode the commandment by declaring that certain religious functions took precedence. There's no disputing that Jesus was opposed to the corruption and pettifoggery of the Pharisees.

I don't see what that has to do with the issue of money, though, and it also does not make you right about the reasons for the purification of the temple.

As for the blind man, yes, it's said that he was blind not because of sin, but essentially, because God is a nasty piece of work, who would blind a person just for show. It's not a very good argument for your contention that you must do one thing or another in order to gain divine favor. It seems more in keeping with Ecclesiastes, who points out that the race is not to the swift.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 02:45 PM   #2542
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,870
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Yes, according to the story, it seems Jesus upheld the idea of the Mosaic law against the current custom, which effectively overrode the commandment by declaring that certain religious functions took precedence. There's no disputing that Jesus was opposed to the corruption and pettifoggery of the Pharisees.

I don't see what that has to do with the issue of money, though, and it also does not make you right about the reasons for the purification of the temple.

As for the blind man, yes, it's said that he was blind not because of sin, but essentially, because God is a nasty piece of work, who would blind a person just for show. It's not a very good argument for your contention that you must do one thing or another in order to gain divine favor. It seems more in keeping with Ecclesiastes, who points out that the race is not to the swift.
Jesus said that a person who likes money hate God

Last edited by Gaetan; 9th April 2021 at 02:49 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 02:48 PM   #2543
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,870
Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
It states in Leviticus (1-27) that animal sacrifice is exactly what God wants.
You misunderstand the real God with Satan who likes sacrifices.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:39 PM   #2544
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,195
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
You misunderstand the real God with Satan who likes sacrifices.
So it wasn't God who, after testing Abraham's faith, put the ram in the thicket? All those sacrifices the Jews made, and that were still going on in the temple, were to Satan? Jesus certainly did not say that.

I think you're a little mixed up there.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:41 PM   #2545
bruto
Penultimate Amazing
 
bruto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Way way north of Diddy Wah Diddy
Posts: 28,195
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Jesus said that a person who likes money hate God
Worships money, yes. Loves money, maybe. Uses money, not.
__________________
I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 04:56 PM   #2546
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 21,450
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Jesus said that a person who likes money hate God
Yet here you are, using money aplenty. Under your rules, you are going to hell.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 05:51 PM   #2547
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,084
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
John 9 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”
Not the same person. Incidentally, I find it interesting you're comparing being blind with being crippled.


Did Jesus say that (some) people who were crippled were crippled because they sinned, yes or no? (It's yes, by the way)

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Marc 8 You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.”

9 And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe[c] your own traditions! 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’[d] and, ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’[e] 11 But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God)— 12 then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother. 13 Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”
My point exactly. He was telling them off for not killing their children for being rebellious like god and Moses told them to. Do you think that rebellious children should be killed Gaetan? Jesus does.

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
This is not Jésus who said that but Moses as an exemple to show they are hypocrites
Wrong. Jesus was telling them that the law of their bloodthirsty, evil god told them they should kill their children if they disobeyed and that they were not following gods law by allowing them to live.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 05:52 PM   #2548
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,084
Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
You misunderstand the real God with Satan who likes sacrifices.
Then what was Jesus meant to be if not a blood sacrifice? A HUMAN blood sacrifice no less. Even in the OT they didn't do that.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2021, 06:12 PM   #2549
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,084
Again Gaetan, why should we care what Jesus said? You do realise that most people here don't think that god exists right? We couldn't care less about how to get into heaven because we think it's make believe. Some of us don't even think Jesus was a real person, and even if he was a lot of the stories attributed to him are patent falsehoods.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #2550
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,870
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Again Gaetan, why should we care what Jesus said? You do realise that most people here don't think that god exists right? We couldn't care less about how to get into heaven because we think it's make believe. Some of us don't even think Jesus was a real person, and even if he was a lot of the stories attributed to him are patent falsehoods.
There is some confusion here and i want to make it clear. I don't say that what come from Moses come from God but i say it comes from Satan and second what i say is what come from Jesus come from God. God exist and if he wouldn't exist spirits would simply elect one, every community has a representant this is just natural. The God we have is not the universal God, the God of the univers and life is the Pro-God. I love Jesus not because he is Jesus but because he has the words of justice.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:32 AM   #2551
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,084
I'm not sure how I can make this any plainer.

Let me try an analogy. Have you ever seen Star Wars? I'm going to assume you have, most people have.

So, in Star Wars, the Emperor is a nasty piece of work right? But you don't believe he actually exists, do you? That's how we see god. He isn't real Gaetan, so we don't care what people who profess to talk on his behalf have to say about what he wants.

I do not care what god wants because I do not think god is real. Please explain why I should care about what god wants us to do when I think he is no more real than Emperor Palpatine.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:38 AM   #2552
Gaetan
Illuminator
 
Gaetan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,870
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
I'm not sure how I can make this any plainer.

Let me try an analogy. Have you ever seen Star Wars? I'm going to assume you have, most people have.

So, in Star Wars, the Emperor is a nasty piece of work right? But you don't believe he actually exists, do you? That's how we see god. He isn't real Gaetan, so we don't care what people who profess to talk on his behalf have to say about what he wants.

I do not care what god wants because I do not think god is real. Please explain why I should care about what god wants us to do when I think he is no more real than Emperor Palpatine.
In every story there is a leader of bad and a leader of good, God is the leader of what is good
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:06 AM   #2553
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 9,084
I would dispute that "god is the leader of what is good", but god isn't real, just like Emperor Palpatine isn't real, Harry Potter isn't real, the Magnificent Seven aren't real etc etc ad nauseum.

In order for you to show me that I should listen to Jesus, you need to show me WHY I should listen to Jesus. Why should I care what a long dead itinerent Jewish preacher possibly said thousands of years ago?
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.