ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #161
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

How much crack do you reckon a free school meal pot of yoghurt is worth?

Apparently we shouldn't give food to hungry kids because they might swap it for drugs.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM   #162
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Mark Jenkinson Tory MP for Workington tweeted his reason for voting against feeding hungry kids.

@markjenkinsonmp
Here, @AngelaRayner is either being disingenuous or really hasn’t a clue what goes on in her constituency. I hope for the sake of her constituents it’s the former.
I know in my constituency that, as tiny as a minority it might be, food parcels are sold or traded for drugs.
And that’s parcels, not vouchers - which have greater monetary value.
OFFS

Better a thousand kids go hungry than someone trades a chicken sandwich for meth
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:24 AM   #163
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The only reason the Tories haven't given free school meals to hungry children is that they haven't yet worked out a way of contracting it out to a private company without tender at vastly more than the going rate while getting kickbacks via political donations.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:46 AM   #164
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Amanda Milling Chairman of the Conservative party tweeted

@amandamilling
We’ve written to @Keir_Starmer after @AngelaRayner’s comment resulted in widespread abuse towards our MPs, staff and families.
Will Sir Keir take action against Labour MPs and party members who perpetrate abuse, and apologise for Rayner’s record of unparliamentary behaviour?
Old Today, 02:58 AM   #165
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

@amandamilling
We’ve written to @Keir_Starmer after @AngelaRayner’s comment resulted in widespread abuse towards our MPs, staff and families.
Will Sir Keir take action against Labour MPs and party members who perpetrate abuse, and apologise for Rayner’s record of unparliamentary behaviour?
Good to see her laser like focus on the important aspect of the debate.
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #166
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Amanda Milling claimed £60,000 in expenses last year and voted against free school meals.
Old Today, 03:46 AM   #167
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

@amandamilling
I don't need any help from Angela Rayner to be abusive towards or about most Tory MPs, party members or party employees. And I took "scum" to be a descriptive rather than pejorative term.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:51 AM   #168
Mid
Graduate Poster

@amandamilling
If you read the letter there's this sentence in it:

"Sadly, this is not the first occasion in which the Honourable Member for Ashton-under-Lyme has used such language to describe Conservatives, nor the first time she has behaved with the standards expected of a Member of Parliament."

Given the number of privately educated Tory Mps, it would seem that private education is not money well spent. Either that or they agree with her.
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:58 AM   #169
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
I get why people are unhappy about parents who live a chaotic lifestyle, such that they do not feed their children properly, but further preventing those children from getting sufficient food is just going to make the situation worse, not better.
Yes I've seen a couple of Tory MP's come out with the parents need to take responsibility for their actions line, like it's the kids fault to have bad parents.

But the things that sticks in my throat on this is that it's coming from a party that doesn't take responsibility for anything ever, led by a man where there's doubts about whether he knows how many kids he has.
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 04:36 AM   #170
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
Yes I've seen a couple of Tory MP's come out with the parents need to take responsibility for their actions line, like it's the kids fault to have bad parents.

But the things that sticks in my throat on this is that it's coming from a party that doesn't take responsibility for anything ever, led by a man where there's doubts about whether he knows how many kids he has.
Not just that the amount needed to fund such a policy is so minuscule compared to the money the government is throwing around it beggars belief.

Hopefully this will bring home to people that “lending” your vote to the Tories always results in the same “I’m all right Jack”.
Old Today, 04:59 AM   #171
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Selaine Saxby MP tweeted
@SelaineSaxby
I am delighted our local businesses have bounced back so much after lockdown they are able to give away food for free, and very much hope they will not be seeking any further government support.
Old Today, 05:28 AM   #172
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Selaine Saxby MP tweeted
@SelaineSaxby
I am delighted our local businesses have bounced back so much after lockdown they are able to give away food for free, and very much hope they will not be seeking any further government support.
How utterly despicable

I guess it would never occur to her that businesses could want to help out people in desperate need even if they are "only" in moderate need.

This comment should be getting a lot more publicity.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:29 AM   #173
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Selaine Saxby MP tweeted
@SelaineSaxby
She has since deleted the tweet and is snivelling and squirming with the usual 'quoted out of context' bollocks. What a cow.
Old Today, 05:36 AM   #174
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
She has since deleted the tweet and is snivelling and squirming with the usual 'quoted out of context' bollocks. What a cow.
How can you be quoted out of context in a tweet you wrote yourself ?

It's more pathetic not to have the courage to stick to your guns.
Old Today, 05:47 AM   #175
Mojo
Mostly harmless

@amandamilling

I wonder if she’s going to take action against members of her party who have been attacking “lefty human rights lawyers”.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:27 AM   #176
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
How can you be quoted out of context in a tweet you wrote yourself ?

It's more pathetic not to have the courage to stick to your guns.
It's one of the usual cop-outs, along with 'I misspoke' and others. As long as the scumbags reply in some vaguely plausible way they think they're off the hook.
Old Today, 06:52 AM   #177
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"Out of context" is the new Conservative MPs way of saying "I only expected it to be read by hateful people who agree with me ... not the vast majority of decent British people who won't put up with this level of inhumanity from their leaders."
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #178
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson & Matt Hancock tweeted its “fantastic” news 7,810 more doctors are now working in our NHS than a year ago.

Both “forget” to mention that figure includes thousands of medical students not yet qualified as doctors!
Old Today, 08:40 AM   #179
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

"Out of context" is the new Conservative MPs way of saying "I only expected it to be read by hateful people who agree with me ... not the vast majority of decent British people who won't put up with this level of inhumanity from their leaders."
With most of these claims of "I was quoted out of context" my usual question is "And exactly what would be the context in which what you said would be suitable?" See also Ben Bradley and that berk from Workington and their claims about food parcels etc being used to buy crack.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:42 AM   #180
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

Boris Johnson & Matt Hancock tweeted its “fantastic” news 7,810 more doctors are now working in our NHS than a year ago.

Both “forget” to mention that figure includes thousands of medical students not yet qualified as doctors!
Even counting the likes of Nephew #2 (currently a medical student), does this make up for the number of medics lost since 2010? See also figures for nurses, psychologists, OTs, physios, and any other clinical discipline you care to mention.
Old Today, 08:46 AM   #181
RolandRat
Muse

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...?ocid=msedgdhp

"Boris Johnson is facing growing condemnation for an “appalling” Tory alliance with neo-Nazi and anti-Muslim parties across Europe, as a Conservative peer reveals how he has refused to act.

The extraordinary pact sees the party’s MPs sitting alongside the “heirs of Mussolini” in Italy and an Estonian party that celebrates its wartime collaboration with Hitler, among other far-right groups in the Council of Europe.

Yet, Lord Balfe reveals, his repeated attempts to persuade the prime minister to take action have been rebuffed – as he was told it was going on “a long way away and no one understands it”.

Instead, the peer was kicked out of the European Conservatives Group for protesting to No 10 after the group “invited in” the far-right so-called Democratic Alliance, he said.

“It’s appalling,” Lord Balfe told The Independent, “this group contains virtually every video nasty in the book and we should not be mixed up with them.”

The best-known far-right parties in the coalition are the anti-immigrant Alternative for Germany and Italy’s Northern League, but others are even more extreme.

The Brothers of Italy was born out of the country’s fascist movement, while the first leader of the Freedom Party of Austria – once headed by the notorious Jorg Haider – was a Nazi minister and SS officer.

Lord Balfe said he has seen the Sweden Democrats “walk around Stockholm with swastikas”, while Bulgaria’s United Patriots “were elected on the basis that there were too many mosques”.

The Conservative People’s Party of Estonia attends an annual march to commemorate the Estonian Legion – a unit of the Waffen-SS during the Second World War."
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics