ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alternative energy , environmental issues , Solar power

Old 1st January 2008, 07:26 PM   #81
technoextreme
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jimbo07 View Post
There have been people who have wondered if particle accelerators could achieve a black hole (I don't know what the current thinking is).
This concept was always considered woo.

Last edited by technoextreme; 1st January 2008 at 07:27 PM.
technoextreme is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2008, 11:57 PM   #82
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
That is because you aren't running the correct air-fuel ratio for that blend of fuel. You will have to add more fuel and then you will be able to add timing. Doing so will result in more torque and since E85 is less expensive this will almost make up for decreased fuel mileage. Besides, it beats running 110 octane gasoline, which is incidentally around the same octane rating as E85.
The part you quoted should tell you well enough that Ive already gone from rich to lean. I also have both a tailsniffer and a runtime, header mounted A/F meter. Also Im not talking about E85, Im talking about 80-90% gasoline with 10-20% gas-o-hol.

As stated elsewhere E85 runs fine for me. The az blend of around 15% gas-o-hol does not. Adding enough fuel to keep from pinging, at the lowest possible advance, fouls the spark plugs
Old 2nd January 2008, 05:30 AM   #83
egslim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Diagoras View Post
While there's certainly a place for things like solar and wind to supplement the electricity grid, it seems that if we really want to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels (which I believe is imperative for our planet), then our future is going to have to be a nuclear one.
Environmental concerns are one thing, reducing our dependence on the Middle-East for oil would provide major strategic, political and economic benefits.
egslim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2011, 04:36 PM   #84
daenku32
Master Poster

Hmm, Electric cars might finally be reality (at least since people now whine that they'll be powered by electricity from dirty coal plants and overloading the power grid) and gasoline is back to $4/gallon, give or take some fluctuation, causing you to pay $4 for at most 10kWh of effective energy at the wheels, which comes to 40 cents per kWh.

Right now baseline solar is about 22 cents per kWh.
http://thinkprogress.org/romm/2011/0...v-competitive/

I'm ready for my Nobel Prize now. Thankyouverymuch.
daenku32 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2011, 02:44 AM   #85
DC
Banned

Originally Posted by Anti_Hypeman View Post
It will happen slowly if at all. You will see solar powered cell phones and lawn mowers long before houses. The sun cant meet the energy needs of my PDA so how can I expect it to power my house anytime soon.

Why do people expect soloar power to instatnly make the leap from calculators to cars and houses? Thats usually not how things happen the technology has to develope you cant just force it.
you missed some years of developement it seems.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2011, 02:58 AM   #86
egslim
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by DC View Post
you missed some years of developement it seems.
Are you surprised? He posted it 3,5 years ago!
egslim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2011, 03:00 AM   #87
DC
Banned

Originally Posted by egslim View Post
Are you surprised? He posted it 3,5 years ago!
oh lol didn't see that
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th June 2011, 10:16 AM   #88
daenku32
Master Poster

Originally Posted by DC View Post
oh lol didn't see that
It's an old thread. It's the second insurrection I did for it. The subject just keeps getting more and more relevant in my opinion.
daenku32 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics